Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

If the passport has 6 months or less on it you can send in a copy of it so you can use that until your new one arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

If the passport has 6 months or less on it you can send in a copy of it so you can use that until your new one arrives.

Yep. I would scan it and print it instead of photocopying it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Do you have to send the old one back eventually in that situation?

No, it'll get cancelled on the system when the new passport has been approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Hi All,

How long does it take to get a passport these days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Tilikum wrote: »
    Hi All,

How long does it take to get a passport these days?

Depends how you apply. Generally speaking, the quickest way is to make an appointment on www.passportappointments.ie and come in to the Molesworth Street (Dublin) or Cork Passport Offices and lodge your application there. You can get a passport within 3 working days in the Molesworth Street office if you have travel booked within that timeframe (T's and C's apply)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Hi there,
    Anyone know if both parents are required to attend for Cork appointment for babys 1st passport if Garda stamp on form & photos are in order?
    Thanks

Hi there,
    Anyone know if both parents are required to attend for Cork appointment for babys 1st passport if Garda stamp on form & photos are in order?
    Thanks
    Just one parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 maulnaskehy

Any tips for best car hire deals at Barcelona Airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

My tip is to make sure you hire from one of the main companies. The budget companies don't have their cars at the airport. You will have to get a bus to another site and it's a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Maxmelay

Pepecar.com will compare that on several dealers in BCN

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Juran

I always use AutoEurope to compare prices as well as whats included in the deal and whats not - eg. addtional driver, excess, fuel, etc..

I used Hertz the last few times I went to Barca and what I paid on-line in advance with AutoEurope is what I paid in total, no hidden chargers. I also avoid the very cheap deals from the spanish agents as I have heard from other people that there are hidden costs and that in the end you pay as much as the main companies such as Hertz, Avis, National, Europcar, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 maulnaskehy

Thanks folks. I got a quote from Do You Spain. Did any of you ever come across these?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thanks folks. I got a quote from Do You Spain. Did any of you ever come across these?
    No. But they might be one of the companies that don't have the cars actually at the airport. I definatley wouldn't use one of those again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DeadbeatDancer

Hi,

So, I lost my passport whilst living in the US and was issued a seven month temporary passport so I could fly home the following week (in March). I plan on flying to the UK in a couple of weeks. Am I allowed to fly on this passport or is it just valid for one trip only? Hopefully this isn't too silly a question!

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This is the 8 page booklet with a green cover, yeah?

They're valid for multiple trips, but they are usually issued on the understanding that you will apply for a full passport once you are fone with them.

I would advise you to apply for your full passport as soon as possible.

You can still travel to the UK on photo ID, depending on the airline though.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Is there delays at the moment? Two passports sent in for renewal received on the 2 of April and they are still at stage 2 waiting to be processed

channaigh wrote: »
    Is there delays at the moment? Two passports sent in for renewal received on the 2 of April and they are still at stage 2 waiting to be processed

Renewals are taking 10/11 working days at the moment. Anything registered on 02/04 would only be on their 9th working day, on account of Easter Monday and Good Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

channaigh wrote: »

Not according to their twitter but mine was received March 27th and has been at stage two since March 31st. First time passport for me though. Target Issue date is Monday 20th which will be 15 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

Hey guys, anyone know when we can apply for the new credit card sized passports that allow you too travel within Europe with them ?. I read mid July, but is it possible to apply online. I know there's Gona be an app where you can take the photo yourself and submit the application, cheers

Alt J wrote: »
    Hey guys, anyone know when we can apply for the new credit card sized passports that allow you too travel within Europe with them ?. I read mid July, but is it possible to apply online. I know there's Gona be an app where you can take the photo yourself and submit the application, cheers

It's due to be launched in July. Neither the app nor the service have been launched yet. The only thing that was launched was the "concept" of the Passport Card, so to speak, back in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

fxotoole wrote: »
    It's due to be launched in July. Neither the app nor the service have been launched yet. The only thing that was launched was the "concept" of the Passport Card, so to speak, back in January.

Plus it's not a stand alone card, you can only get one if you have a passport and it's only valid for the lifetime of your passport up to a maximum ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

fxotoole wrote: »
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Plus it's not a stand alone card, you can only get one if you have a passport and it's only valid for the lifetime of your passport up to a maximum ten years

I'm dying to see this implemented; not because I'll find it particularly useful. More because I can't wait for them to try and square the suggestion that you can take a photo on your smartphone and apply for goivernment ID with the attestation and witness proofs that will surely be required. I can easily understand isuing a passport card to a holder of a valid passport with the same photo and validity date. The idea that I can download an app, take a photo, upload it and be issued with ID which satisfies anti moneylaudnering and immigration requirements is simply baffling. If they are investing in a facial recognition system to square the circle, I imagine the money could be better spent elsewhere! E-voting machines or PPARS come to mind.

Hopefully they will simply issue based on existing passport photos to ensure that the scheme is not simply abandoned.

Alt J wrote: »

We haven't heard a thing on this in the passport office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm heading to Argentina in June, and from what I can find online my passport only needs to be valid for the time I spend there. However on the way back there's a short stopover in Brazil, and again from reading online it appears a passport requires to be valid for at least 6 months when 'entering Brazil', mine won't be valid for that long.

I'm wondering can I get away with that? Considering I'll be in the transit area, and won't actually be going through customs?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You say 'from reading online' .... can you provide a link?

If you're passing through a Brazil airport on an international flight and are restricted to the transit area then you won't be 'entering Brazil' so it won't matter how many months are remaining on your passport.

Even if you want to land in Brazil, there is nothing on the Brazilian Embassy (to Ireland) website indicating that you need xx months validity on your passport...

http://dublin.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/tourism.xml

athtrasna wrote: »

up to a max of 5 years.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    I'm dying to see this implemented; not because I'll find it particularly useful. More because I can't wait for them to try and square the suggestion that you can take a photo on your smartphone and apply for goivernment ID with the attestation and witness proofs that will surely be required. I can easily understand isuing a passport card to a holder of a valid passport with the same photo and validity date. The idea that I can download an app, take a photo, upload it and be issued with ID which satisfies anti moneylaudnering and immigration requirements is simply baffling. If they are investing in a facial recognition system to square the circle, I imagine the money could be better spent elsewhere! E-voting machines or PPARS come to mind.

Hopefully they will simply issue based on existing passport photos to ensure that the scheme is not simply abandoned.

The selfie from the app will be compared with existing photos using photo matching technology.

The theory is that so long as that data you provide via the app matches what you wrote on the form when you applied for your full passport, then there will be no checks to be done, as you will already have been checked out and approved for a passport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement