Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Absurd

This post has been deleted.
    Thanks, but what if it has already expired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Hey everyone. Forgive me for the stupid question but i really don't have a notion about anything passport related but anyway...

I am 23 and have never held a passport. At the moment me and a few of my friends are looking to head on a holiday around the 3rd week of July. My problem is i dont own a passport. If i were to apply for one what would be the quickest way of going through the process as i heard this can take weeks upon weeks for a passport to come back. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Hey everyone. Forgive me for the stupid question but i really don't have a notion about anything passport related but anyway...

I am 23 and have never held a passport. At the moment me and a few of my friends are looking to head on a holiday around the 3rd week of July. My problem is i dont own a passport. If i were to apply for one what would be the quickest way of going through the process as i heard this can take weeks upon weeks for a passport to come back. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Quickest way for a first time applicant is to use swift post (i.e. Fill out form, get it signed by the guards, go to the post office, and send the form off along with your birth cert/adoption cert, utility bills, photo ID, marriage cert if applicable, etc).

All the supporting documents are there on the form so if you read the notes you can't go too far wrong.

Make sure your photos meet the photo guidelines as well.

On paper, Passport Express via the post office takes 10 working days from the day that the Passport Service receives your application, but they are a bit behind on their issue by dates at the moment, but if you're travelling in the 3rd week of July you should be OK.

The sooner you send off your application, the sooner you'll get your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Fill out the forms correctly and send all required documentation so they don't have any reason to return to you for anything else. Read the form thoroughly and as long as you do everything by the letter, you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 DC403l

Hi all, when making the passport application I forgot to include my middle name on the birth certificate name part. It wouldn't be an issue I'd imagine but I included my birth certificate which has it listed. My previous passport that I submitted with the application doesn't have a middle name.

Will it be rejected? I tried calling and calling the passport office but I can't get through to them. I'm really worried about this as I'm flying off soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

DC403l wrote: »
    Hi all, when making the passport application I forgot to include my middle name on the birth certificate name part. It wouldn't be an issue I'd imagine but I included my birth certificate which has it listed. My previous passport that I submitted with the application doesn't have a middle name.

Will it be rejected? I tried calling and calling the passport office but I can't get through to them. I'm really worried about this as I'm flying off soon.

You'll be grand, don't worry about it. If the 'name to appear on passport' matches with what's already on your previous passport there will be no issues. You don't appear to be adding a name to your passport but it wouldn't be an issue anyway even if you were because you've included your birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

How accurate is the tracking on the passport website? My passport was received in the 6th June and it says the issue date is the 19th june. However it is still just showing as received and registered on the 6th.

mel.b wrote: »
    How accurate is the tracking on the passport website? My passport was received in the 6th June and it says the issue date is the 19th june. However it is still just showing as received and registered on the 6th.

Not very accurate. It only updates about 3 or 4 times during the processing of an application (e.g., on receipt of application, on approval, on production of passport, and on dispatch). The passport office staff can see much more detail on they system.

Also bear in mind the online tracker updates only twice a day, at 7am and 2pm I think.

Not very accurate. It only updates about 3 or 4 times during the processing of an application (e.g., on receipt of application, on approval, on production of passport, and on dispatch). The passport office staff can see much more detail on they system.

Also bear in mind the online tracker updates only twice a day, at 7am and 2pm I think.

Update at 1.45 still showing registered and recieved. What's the likely hood of the issue date for the 19th being correct still?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Update at 1.45 still showing registered and recieved. What's the likely hood of the issue date for the 19th being correct still?

It updates automatically each day

Hard to say without knowing more specific information. If you're a first time applicant it will take a little bit longer than a straightforward renewal, as they have to contact the witness, verify your identity, etc.

As it's the height of the busy season, your application probably won't be looked at until 18th.

Are you travelling urgently? If you are, I'd advise you to fax or email your flight booking to the passport office or preferably contact customer care and arrange collection.

Hard to say without knowing more specific information. If you're a first time applicant it will take a little bit longer than a straightforward renewal, as they have to contact the witness, verify your identity, etc.

As it's the height of the busy season, your application probably won't be looked at until 18th.

Are you travelling urgently? If you are, I'd advise you to fax or email your flight booking to the passport office or preferably contact customer care and arrange collection.

Yes, first time applicant, but thought this would have been taken into account when allocating an issue date.

I am travelling Sun week but only to the UK with Aer Lingus so can use my drivers license if i don't have it by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LilyFinn

Mine were dispatched today after passport express on 27 may. Status Does anyone know if they are sent 1st class , leaving on Sunday and panicking !

LilyFinn wrote: »
    Mine were dispatched today after passport express on 27 may. Status Does anyone know if they are sent 1st class , leaving on Sunday and panicking !

They're sent by next day delivery (swift post)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lordclifton

I'm not sure anyone can help at this stage but I thought I would share my experiences anyway!

I am an Irish passport holder living in the UK travelling to Spain this Saturday 21 June with Ryanair from Bristol where I live. I sent my renewal application to the Irish Embassy in London (as we are advised to do) on 7 May by recorded post so it would have arrived on 8 May. According to the online tracker which I now know is not very accurate for Uk applications it was received and registered by Dublin on 15 May and there has been no status update since. I managed to contact somebody in the London passport office 3 weeks ago to explain my travel date and included my flight confirmation but they won't do anything about it until 7 days before travel! I was in regular contact with this person.

I resubmitted my flight confirmation and passport application number last Friday 13 June as instructed and have been seeking an update from them yesterday and today. I have explained that my passport delivery address is my office address which does not receive post on a Saturday. Basically if my new passport is not on a plane from Dublin tonight (Tuesday) or tomorrow I am stuffed! I appreciate that the passport office is busy but it is pretty unacceptable in this day and age to be without a passport for over a month. For Uk Irish passport holders (there are 500,000 of us) passport express is (I think) only available in Liverpool and Glasgow.

Given that passports need to be sent from Dublin to London and then posted on to the applicant the 7 day rule is really not very practical. Apparently my passport is as a result of my Friday email on a fast track list and I was told to check back today with my contact which I did but they have not replied. I have no idea whether I will receive my passport before Saturday. I am unable to confirm or purchase other arrangements e.g. Car hire until I know when or if I will be travelling. Basically I am in limbo. It seems that UK passport holders are second class Irish citizens. If there is a policy of sitting on UK applications until 7 days before travel it's completely impractical for UK applicants in the EU in 2014 (I am also a business person working at a firm with offices all over Europe). Not impressed.

Slightly worried about my application reading about these delays. Applied on the June 6th and the issue date is the 20th but its still just showing as 'registered'. Main reason I'm concerned is because I got photos done in a chemist and when I checked them in the little window on the form my head was a tiny but too small. The chemist said the pics were fine and they never have them rejected so I trusted them and went ahead with the application. Now I’m worried the photos will be rejected and I’ll go to the back of the queue again. Travelling in just over three weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LilyFinn

Flying fox, phone them. Don't go by the status on the page as mine went from registered, printed, registered then dispatched .

I don't think you'll go to the back of the line if your photos are wrong . Last time we forgot to submit a birth cert and they were really helpful .

Did you pay passport express?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DC403l

The tracker only updated to saying it was in the checking process 2 days before I got mine, so no need to worry.

Thanks guys, will ring them in the morning. Just hope the pics are ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 kelphelp

ok can someone please help, i sent off my application on the 28th of may, at the moment its at the checking stage. i need the passport on monday as im travelling that day. i have tried emailing and phoning the office but getting no replies, if the passport gets sent out today it will be fine but any later i wont get it......
    im in galway so cant call into them and ask but i would like to just pick it up on monday before i travel, but i cant get through to anyone to arrange this. i dont want it ended up being lost somewhere in the post and would just like to pick it up........
    pulling out my hair here, does anyone have any advice!!

kelphelp wrote: »
    ok can someone please help, i sent off my application on the 28th of may, at the moment its at the checking stage. i need the passport on monday as im travelling that day. i have tried emailing and phoning the office but getting no replies, if the passport gets sent out today it will be fine but any later i wont get it......
    im in galway so cant call into them and ask but i would like to just pick it up on monday before i travel, but i cant get through to anyone to arrange this. i dont want it ended up being lost somewhere in the post and would just like to pick it up........

Sorry to hear that, I also can't get through on the phone.

You could try the general number for the Dept of Foreign Affairs and ask if they can give you a contact for urgent queries?

Failing that maybe try contacting one of your TDs? Not their job I know but they might be able to speed things up for you.

My passport is being printed :) Went straight from registered & received with no updates in between and is being printed on the date they listed as the issue date. 10 working days from receipt for a first time adult applicatant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hi guys,

I have heard on multiple occasions that certain places, like the US, won't let you travel there if your passport is within 6 months or so of expiry. Is this true?

I ask because, I am travelling to the US in late September. Now, my passport doesn't expire until May but the last thing i'd want to happen is I turn up the airport and they tell me I can't travel.

Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I have heard on multiple occasions that certain places, like the US, won't let you travel there if your passport is within 6 months or so of expiry. Is this true?

It's not true. The US only cares that your passport be valid on the date of departure. The 6 month thing applies to non visa waiver countries and refers to the passport neing to be valid for 6 months after the entry date.
    Validity of Irish/EU Passports

In most cases, to enter the United States, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter. However, the United States has an agreement with some countries (including Ireland) that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. An Irish passport need remain valid only for the duration of the holder's stay in the United States.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/consular/validity-of-irish/eu-passports.html

kelphelp wrote: »

Do you have any friends / relatives who live in Cork or Dublin who could call in to either of the Passport Offices with your application number, and get the staff their to check it out?

Or maybe email / fax them a copy of your flight booking and ask them to expedite it?

Also I agree with contacting your TD - this should get you sorted.

EDIT: If it's in checking at the moment, it shouldn't be too much longer. The only reason it would stay in checking for longer than usual is if the checker has spotted something and is trying to contact you or the witness. They'll try to resolve it as best they can, but if they can't they will probably reject it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Amazing. Thank you so much for your response :)

Yes, thankfully. I was ok if it was within the standard 10 days but for new applications they were saying 15working days and that is where i was going to be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Can anyone advise what to do next? Application posted over two weeks ago by Passport Express, travel next week. The website showed "issue date" as yesterday. But literally nothing has changed since, it still has status as "received and registered" and issue date as yesterday, seems like it hasn't even been checked yet. The phone service isn't even letting you be on hold, I've sent emails to the address in the voicemail but nothing. I am now starting to worry, what can I do? Is there any point in calling in person to the office? Any other action I can take? Or do I just sit back and hope that it was indeed issued yesterday and the site simply hasn't been updated? Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement