Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Did you lose your last passport? You'll be fine with bank statement.
    Yes i did, i got that section filled out and signed by garda so i should be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

case885 wrote: »
    Yes i did, i got that section filled out and signed by garda so i should be ok?

You'll be treated like a first time applicant. Include your birth cert as well. You should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

I heard somewhere you can make your name that of your mother or father if it is on your birth cert without the need of a deed poll. My surname is the Irish form of my mothers surname, which is on the birth cert. Can I get a passport under the English form of my surname (as it is the same as my mothers, and technically the same name)

I heard somewhere you can make your name that of your mother or father if it is on your birth cert without the need of a deed poll. My surname is the Irish form of my mothers surname, which is on the birth cert. Can I get a passport under the English form of my surname (as it is the same as my mothers, and technically the same name)

You usually need proof of usage if you're switching between Irish and English versions of your name and vice versa.

Cheers for the help lads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

You usually need proof of usage if you're switching between Irish and English versions of your name and vice versa.

Ah right, thought I heard elsewhere on boards that if it matches the birth cert that's enough for them. Bit of a catch-22, as it's not a name I have any ID for so bank/telephone is out of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chibihito

Hi guys!

I'm applying for my first passport and I need it as soon as possible as something urgently came up abroad.
    What is the best way to apply?

On the website, it says that Passport Express(through the Post Office) takes quicker but there is also the appointment service which the website advises against because it has longer processing time. On top of that, there is some mysterious 'emergency passport' which would be the best option for me at this time but it doesn't actually say where to indicate the urgent need of a passport when applying. I'm so utterly confused.

As well as that, what supporting documents do you need to ensure the quickest processing time? My emergency is business-related, so would a letter explaining the nature of emergency and proof of flights suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

chibihito wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I'm applying for my first passport and I need it as soon as possible as something urgently came up abroad.
    What is the best way to apply?

On the website, it says that Passport Express(through the Post Office) takes quicker but there is also the appointment service which the website advises against because it has longer processing time. On top of that, there is some mysterious 'emergency passport' which would be the best option for me at this time but it doesn't actually say where to indicate the urgent need of a passport when applying. I'm so utterly confused.

As well as that, what supporting documents do you need to ensure the quickest processing time? My emergency is business-related, so would a letter explaining the nature of emergency and proof of flights suffice?

Just in case you're not aware, if your emergency business is in the UK then you don't need a passport, just don't fly with Ryanair and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Stinicker wrote: »
    We've being talking about it today and he won't be going down the naturalisation road now as it is just too expensive. He will instead get a British Passport from the Embassy instead. Thanks for the info chaps!

Reading reports this morning it might not be much quicker:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Is the wait still around 15 working days? Hoping to have my form sent off this week so I can get my passport asap to book flights for the start of august. And is there a difference between cork and Dublin in terms of waiting times?

• Advertisement

Reventon93 wrote: »
    Is the wait still around 15 working days? Hoping to have my form sent off this week so I can get my passport asap to book flights for the start of august. And is there a difference between cork and Dublin in terms of waiting times?

Depending where you are based will determine where your application goes

I thought it was 11? Im in cork, would that be any quicker?

AGC wrote: »
    Depending where you are based will determine where your application goes

Ahh, alright. I'm in the West.

Found my old passport :rolleyes: Will gaurds remove missing passport information so i can then send for renewal? Do i need 2 forms of identification along with old passport when renewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Umbreal

Reventon93 wrote: »

Mine got only approved today on the 11th working day waiting. I imagine I'll get it on the 14th/15th working day.

Umbreal wrote: »
    Mine got only approved today on the 11th working day waiting. I imagine I'll get it on the 14th/15th working day.

Thanks for that. Im just anxious to get it off asap

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

Just checked the tracking on my passport renewal and it's says approved and a first passport for my son which today day 13 after them receiving it says it could not be processed and they have sent a letter stating why.
    Any ideas why this would be? We are due to fly on our holidays Saturday 2 weeks the 28th of June, having a bit of a panic now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

lisao80 wrote: »
    Just checked the tracking on my passport renewal and it's says approved and a first passport for my son which today day 13 after them receiving it says it could not be processed and they have sent a letter stating why.
    Any ideas why this would be? We are due to fly on our holidays Saturday 2 weeks the 28th of June, having a bit of a panic now

No way of knowing what he issue was until you receive the letter. You could email them or give them a buzz to try to find out what was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 olive oil

Hi,

Seems passport office has lost my passport. Sent it with 2 applications for my children, kids new passports arrived in yesterdays post, but no sign of mine. Mine was not for renewal, sent it as kids born since 2005. Got through to department of foreign affairs and they were very apologetic and said would get somebody in Balbriggan to call me and have heard nothing since.

Can anyone advise me what to do. Relative very sick and we may need to travel to France at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Hi there. Travelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Applied for passport for child. Fearful that they may not return in time. Contacted office and provided them with travel documentation. They informed me that they were given emergency status and will contact me Friday (tomorrow) re collecting them. What are people's experience of this process. Will I be waiting along time or is it relatively efficient ? Appreciate any feedback as underpressure at work.

olive oil wrote: »
    Hi,

Seems passport office has lost my passport. Sent it with 2 applications for my children, kids new passports arrived in yesterdays post, but no sign of mine. Mine was not for renewal, sent it as kids born since 2005. Got through to department of foreign affairs and they were very apologetic and said would get somebody in Balbriggan to call me and have heard nothing since.

Can anyone advise me what to do. Relative very sick and we may need to travel to France at short notice.

Contact customer care and advise them of the situation. If you have documentary proof of your relative being in hospital abroad this will help your case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What's the quickest way to renew a child's passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Whallaa

I applied for my husbands new passport by passport express. Today is day 12 since application was received. It has remained at checking stage since day 9. This evening it is now showing that there are problems with application and letter has been sent in the post. Does anyone know when we correct the problem will we go to the back of the queue or how long will it take to receive passport ? Also, all along it stated that application was received on 27/5/14 but today that changed to received on 12/6/14. Anyone know why this date has changed ? I am beginning to panic now 😒

What's the quickest way to renew a child's passport?

Book a Rapid Renewal appointment at whichever office covers the part of the country you're living in. Both parents and the child will have to be preset at the appointment though

Whallaa wrote: »
    I applied for my husbands new passport by passport express. Today is day 12 since application was received. It has remained at checking stage since day 9. This evening it is now showing that there are problems with application and letter has been sent in the post. Does anyone know when we correct the problem will we go to the back of the queue or how long will it take to receive passport ? Also, all along it stated that application was received on 27/5/14 but today that changed to received on 12/6/14. Anyone know why this date has changed ? I am beginning to panic now 😒

I don't know why the date received has changed, possibly a bug with the tracking page, but unfortunately if your application is incorrect or incomplete (which seems to be the case), you will lose the 10 working day guarantee.

But it will not go to the back of the que. It will be dealt with when you send it back with the correct documentation

AGC wrote: »
    But it will not go to the back of the que. It will be dealt with when you send it back with the correct documentation

It depends, if it was officially rejected it will go to the back of the queue. If the checker called you and is holding your application, it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Absurd

Is there a way I can keep my expired passport until my new one arrives. I need it for I.d.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement