Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

u will need a passport for ryanair,and to get through passport control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

If all else fails - is the ferry an option - plenty of availability just the logistics of training on the other side to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

I know someone who this happened to on a Sunday. She was able to change the flight to Monday afternoon.
    They then went to the Passport office in Dublin, where they explained the situation and were given a temporary passport on Monday morning, and flew out Monday afternoon.

So look into getting a new flight from Dublin maybe? And then going to the passport office on molesworth street in the morning.

I cant remember the airline they were flying with, but im certain the most difficult airline will be ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Dredd_J wrote: »
    I know someone who this happened to on a Sunday. She was able to change the flight to Monday afternoon.
    They then went to the Passport office in Dublin, where they explained the situation and were given a temporary passport on Monday morning, and flew out Monday afternoon.

So look into getting a new flight from Dublin maybe? And then going to the passport office on molesworth street in the morning.

I cant remember the airline they were flying with, but im certain the most difficult airline will be ryanair.

How long ago was this? A new emergency passport regime came in a few months ago and unless you're flying for a genuine emergency the fastest turnaround is three days.

athtrasna wrote: »
    How long ago was this? A new emergency passport regime came in a few months ago and unless you're flying for a genuine emergency the fastest turnaround is three days.

Just after Easter just gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Every Irish person has to show their passport with their ticket when boarding a flight from Ireland.

Every Irish person has to show their passport with their ticket when boarding a flight from Ireland.

No they don't. The UK and Ireland share a common travel area. ID is required but the different airlines have different rules about what they accept. Aer Lingus do not require a passport, Ryanair do.

No they don't. The UK and Ireland share a common travel area. ID is required but the different airlines have different rules about what they accept. Aer Lingus do not require a passport, Ryanair do.

Sorry was answering a posters question in another thread who is flying with Ryanair and misplaced their passport. Somehow we're not in that thread anymore.

• Advertisement

Sorry was answering a posters question in another thread who is flying with Ryanair and misplaced their passport. Somehow we're not in that thread anymore.

Mod moved it into this thread. Regardless, it's Ryanair who require the passport between Ireland and the UK, not security or immigration.

Mod moved it into this thread. Regardless, it's Ryanair who require the passport between Ireland and the UK, not security or immigration.

Yeah thats who they were flying with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Eeek, just reading this thread and starting to freak out. I applied for my first Irish passport (recently Nautralised Irish :) ) on Thursday with passport express, thinking it was 10days, only to read it is actually 15 days.

I have a course in Birmingham that I fly out for on Sun 29th June. I was meant to go to the Dublin course, but that sold out which meant a last minute change to Birmingham and hence having to get the passport. 15 days brings me up to Thurs 26th, only giving 1 days leeway. I also had to send in my Australian passport so I have nothing at the moment. I guess if it isn't looking good I will be able to call them to get it expedited?

mel.b wrote: »
    Eeek, just reading this thread and starting to freak out. I applied for my first Irish passport (recently Nautralised Irish :) ) on Thursday with passport express, thinking it was 10days, only to read it is actually 15 days.

I have a course in Birmingham that I fly out for on Sun 29th June. I was meant to go to the Dublin course, but that sold out which meant a last minute change to Birmingham and hence having to get the passport. 15 days brings me up to Thurs 26th, only giving 1 days leeway. I also had to send in my Australian passport so I have nothing at the moment. I guess if it isn't looking good I will be able to call them to get it expedited?

If you're flying Aer Lingus you don't need a passport

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Hi,

Will be landing back in the country in early July with my passport due to expire around the middle of the month so renewal will be a priority for me.

As I may find myself having to fly out again at short notice (I won't bore folks with details), you can imagine my elation when I discovered the new passport appointments service "for those travelling at short notice (within 3-10 working days)".

Lo & behold when I go looking to book an appointment online at passportappointments.ie, listing my departure date as 16th July, a warning message appears stating "The average turnaround time if you apply via appointment is 15 days. :confused: The average turnaround time if you apply through passport express is 10 days."

So, the moral of this quirky story would appear to be, if you need a passport in a hurry don't apply via the fast-track system. Things would appear to be somewhat arseways currently on that.

Anyone have any guideline on how things are moving with passport appointments of late?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

That's good to know - I'm flying Aer Lingus regional as I presume it applies to them as well? What about coming back into Ireland - I presume I just join the Irish/EU queue and show my drivers license and hope no one speaks to me to notice the accent? Just that if they do, I'll have nothing on me to prove / show that I am a Naturalised Irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deink

What would be the best time to try and call the passport office today? Tried several times this morning but I just got a message saying they were too busy to take calls.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My friend was born in England and both his parents are English however he moved to Ireland as a child (aged 2) and has lived here ever since for the last 25+ years. He is married to an Irish girl and their children were born in Ireland and are Irish citizens.

My friend has never gone outside Ireland or the UK in his life but is now thinking of going to Spain this summer with his wife for a week. He is entitled to a British Passport through both his parents being British but we have also being wondering if he is entitled to an Irish passport due to having spent so long and he is effectively "Irish" as far as I'm concerned. He does not have Irish ancestry, would he have to get naturalized to get an Irish passport I wonder?

And also if anyone can advise of how he can get naturalized? As this would probably be a lengthy convoluted process he will need to get his British Passport sooner and ideally wants to hold dual nationality. Has anyone here experience of applying for a British Passport and can it be done through the British Embassy in Dublin and what will he need or have to go for interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Would the documents dating back to his childhood be required if he was being naturalised through his Irish born wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

If he was trying to get naturalisation through an Irish spouse, for all intents and purposes his application would be the same as if he didn't have an Irish spouse, just the length of time he'd have been living in Ireland can be shorter - not any difference to him if he's been living here since 2.
    He would need proof of residence in Ireland for each one of those reconable years (not from age 2), plus all the rest of the documents anyone applying would need to submit. The cost is around 950, plus the application fee of 175.
    It's a long and costly process and the only difference to being Irish vs British would be referendums and certain elections. However, if he's really interested in being Irish and have all the other voting rights, then he'll just have to pay and do all the paperwork same as anyone else...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

We've being talking about it today and he won't be going down the naturalisation road now as it is just too expensive. He will instead get a British Passport from the Embassy instead. Thanks for the info chaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Hi about supporting documentation, the name on my bank statements is my second name but i will have both names on passport, will this suffice? How many forms do i need?

Any help appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

case885 wrote: »
    Hi about supporting documentation, the name on my bank statements is my second name but i will have both names on passport, will this suffice? How many forms do i need?

Are you changing the order of your name?

Are you changing the order of your name?

No i keeping it the same as my birth cert i havent my old passport either so that would have been a help. Name on passport is John Patrick, but im referred to as patrick on my bank statement. I do have a letter with full name but i saw you need two. I was wondering would i get away with the bank statements?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

case885 wrote: »
    No i keeping it the same as my birth cert i havent my old passport either so that would have been a help. Name on passport is John Patrick, but im referred to as patrick on my bank statement. I do have a letter with full name but i saw you need two. I was wondering would i get away with the bank statements?

Did you lose your last passport? You'll be fine with bank statement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement