Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

?Cee?view wrote: »
    How can you know this to be the case? It's not possible to phone the office, they don't respond to emails and appointments are not available within a number of days.

I would say even a quick poll here would show most people get theirs on time.

It might be very tight and stressful time wise however.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

Sorry for repeatedly referring to my circumstances, but I made a last gasp effort last Friday to make an appointment at the Dublin office.
    The earliest they could give me was tomorrow afternoon.

As I have been temporarily sorted out there is no need for my appointment at the office.
    I would like to cancel this, however when I go to their appointments on the site to cancel, my e-mail is not being recognised.

The site says to phone the office but I think most people here would say that's an impossibility.

I would like to contact them to simply speed things up at the office for others, however minimal that may be, and out of common courtesy.

Any ideas?

Regards.

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

?Cee?view wrote: »
    The same "muppets" who cause a rush every year seasonally at the same time in a completely predictable pattern? Most services have the foresight and professionalism to plan for when they know they will be busy. Who are the real "muppets" here?

Obviously demand increases in summer. So they take on extra staff. And passports are issued in 11-14 working days going by posters here and that's perfectly acceptable for anyone with a modicum of planning.

The problem arises when the muppets apply 6 days before their flight and then clog up the phone lines and email in a panic, jump the queue to have their stupidity dealt with and slow down the normal processing of passports.

Why should some idiot who's booked a fortnight in Tenerife without checking the most basic document be accommodated as if it were an emergency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

My passport has been posted so hopefully I'll have it tomorrow. 13 working days in total which isn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 tworascals

So I am a muppet!! I thought I had applied through passport express in good time but obviously not as they have not arrived yet for travel on saturday. Serious panic setting it now. Is there any way around this? Can I go and collect them? The appointment form on the website doesnt seem to apply to my situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tworascals

Also on the tracking page it gives an issue date. Is this the date the passport has been issued or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

tworascals wrote: »
    Also on the tracking page it gives an issue date. Is this the date the passport has been issued or something else?

The issue by date is the date by which the passport service aim to issue your passport. They are running a few days behind at the moment.

Where are you based? Can you make it in to the passport office in cork or Dublin and plead your case?

What exactly does the online tracking say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hey folks, sorry if this has been asked before.

Did the passport express thing on Tuesday. Just checked the tracking website with my barcode # today and says
    Unable find any record for application number 10XXXXXXXX

Should I be worried or does it take a few days to find it's way onto the system?

I unexpectedly have to travel with work on the 27th of July. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Good shout, tried but can't find it there either :confused:

keith16 wrote: »
    Hey folks, sorry if this has been asked before.

Did the passport express thing on Tuesday. Just checked the tracking website with my barcode # today and says

Should I be worried or does it take a few days to find it's way onto the system?

I unexpectedly have to travel with work on the 27th of July. Thanks!

Presumably it was sitting in the Post Office until the post was collected at 17.30 on Tuesday. It would have taken a day to get to the Passport Service, so it might possibly still be in the postal bag, unopened. Or maybe it has been registered but the website hasn't been updated yet.

As the website is updated at 13:45 in the afternoon, try again at 14:00 and see if anything has changed.

As the website is updated at 13:45 in the afternoon, try again at 14:00 and see if anything has changed.

Yeah, just tried. Still nothing. Will check again after 2pm tomorrow I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 keeplosingit

Hi, I've been really careless and stupid with passports and am wondering could anyone give me advice if they have had a passport history as bad as mine as I'm freaking out a bit and am worried they will be reluctant to give me a new one. I have a holiday booked for late august.

In total I've lost 4 passports in my life including one today. First one was when I was a child (not my fault really but the passport clerk brought it up last time I applied). One which was never recovered when I was 22. The replacement was a restricted one and I lost it at 23 but it was recovered later in my friends luggage after I had travelled home on an emergency travel cerifitcate. I submitted that with my application after we got home and the office were gratious enough to give me a 10 year replacement because they saw it as an honest mistake. That passport then lasted 3 years until I replaced it this April due to wear and tear from travelling lots. I've just lost the brand new replacement by being totally careless with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Hi, I've been really careless and stupid with passports and am wondering could anyone give me advice if they have had a passport history as bad as mine as I'm freaking out a bit and am worried they will be reluctant to give me a new one. I have a holiday booked for late august.

Time to get organised, get a Passport/ticket/travel pouch yoke, keep your passport in it always. When you book a flight put your ticket in it (check the dates and condition of your passport while you are there). Take the whole lot to the airport together, use the safe when you get to your destination, keep the pouch always in the same logical place at home. Sounds OCD? Maybe you need a bit of ocd.

Plan B? Get into Staycations.

In total I've lost 4 passports in my life including one today. First one was when I was a child (not my fault really but the passport clerk brought it up last time I applied). One which was never recovered when I was 22. The replacement was a restricted one and I lost it at 23 but it was recovered later in my friends luggage after I had travelled home on an emergency travel cerifitcate. I submitted that with my application after we got home and the office were gratious enough to give me a 10 year replacement because they saw it as an honest mistake. That passport then lasted 3 years until I replaced it this April due to wear and tear from travelling lots. I've just lost the brand new replacement by being totally careless with it

Where are you flying to? If you're flying to the UK with Aer Lingus you won't need a passport.

Don't worry, if you do need a passport, you still have plenty of time, but you'll have to get a form, fill it out, and get the gardai to sign it ASAP. Don't forget to get the statement of loss section signed and stamped by the guards too.

As you have lost your previous passport you will have to re-establish your identity, so you'll need to provide your original documents again, utility bills, photo ID, etc.

Also as you have a poor passport history the passport office may decide to restrict this passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You'll probably get a restricted passport of 1 to 3 years duration depending how bad your history is. If you manage to keep this one they'll probably issue you a 10 year one the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Are you 100% sure the new one is 'lost' and you haven't just misplaced it like the one found in your friends luggage. Turn the house & car upside down. Look everywhere. Seriously. I thought i had lost my Australian passport with two days to go before my flight and i eventually found it (before my flight thankfully) in the bottom of a box full of Christmas decorations. So look absolutely EVERYWHERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Got mine today :) 11 working days so not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Hi. It's been 9 working days since the passport office received my mums passport application. It's still at the received stage and hasn't moved on. We are flying early Friday morning so would need to have got it by Thursday. Should I try ringing them on Monday? There are only 4 working days left to check, approve, print, post and deliver the passport.
    She sent it for renewal as she's heading away in August but her brother in the uk has took a sudden bad turn health wise so we are flying Friday morning to see him. I'm getting worried...

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Hi. It's been 9 working days since the passport office received my mums passport application. It's still at the received stage and hasn't moved on. We are flying early Friday morning so would need to have got it by Thursday. Should I try ringing them on Monday? There are only 4 working days left to check, approve, print, post and deliver the passport.
    She sent it for renewal as she's heading away in August but her brother in the uk has took a sudden bad turn health wise so we are flying Friday morning to see him. I'm getting worried...

Dont worry too much about the website, i checked today and it said it was being checked and then it arrived in the post so they dont keep it up to date on the tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

case885 wrote: »
    Dont worry too much about the website, i checked today and it said it was being checked and then it arrived in the post so they dont keep it up to date on the tracker.
    Thanks case885. That has put my mind at ease :)

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Thanks case885. That has put my mind at ease :)

No problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

AGC wrote: »
    Yes it is mainly the same people that book trips without knowledge. What can the passport office do? They take on additional staff to try and clear the backlog. Why are these additional staff not required during October-March?

If people just gave a quick look at their passport before booking a flight/holiday or if you had to provide passport details when booking it would make things a lot easier.

In general the Irish public think that Johnny Paycheck is sitting at a desk in the Passport office/Medical Card office/ SW office waiting to process their application.
    The Irish public don't want to accept any personal responsibility for themselves. "I didn't bother checking my passport before I made my travel arrangements but that's not my fault. I stiil want my passport sorted out today". Pain in the butt.

They should be just told "NO!"

It might be illegal and/or unconstitutional for the Passport Office to refuse to issue a passport to an Irish citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

Can anyone help advise on how the appointment/3 working days minimum is applied?

On the passport office website it says this
    If you wish to make an appointment for the Rapid Renewal Passport Service visit www.passportappointments.ie. In all other circumstances, it will take a minimum of 3 working days to issue a passport.

Does this mean that if you have an appointment, then the minimum three days no longer applies? Or can I expect it to take three days from the appointment? My appointment is on Thursday, so does it mean the passport will be ready on Monday at the earliest?

Thanks for any info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

lostinNaas wrote: »
    Can anyone help advise on how the appointment/3 working days minimum is applied?

On the passport office website it says this

Does this mean that if you have an appointment, then the minimum three days no longer applies? Or can I expect it to take three days from the appointment? My appointment is on Thursday, so does it mean the passport will be ready on Monday at the earliest?

Thanks for any info.
    A friend got hers within half an hour last week in the passport office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement