Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Liachta Cultaca

Louth EMT wrote: »
    My heads in a spin - passed c1 test today but not in time me thinks - fell like trying my luck on the day (wednesday) - any advice out there.

Did you use a driving school vehicle for your test?

There doesnt seem to be any driving schools in the East that cater for c1 lessons

Appreciate any feedback on passing my C1 for the next time the HSE are recruiting

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

There doesnt seem to be any driving schools in the East that cater for c1 lessons

Appreciate any feedback on passing my C1 for the next time the HSE are recruiting

You will have to use the driving schools vehicle unless you have your own truck. Just because the H.S.E. are looking for the C1 doesn't mean that you have to sit the C1 test if you do the C test you will automatically get your C1. The C test costs the same and it is the same test but you get both C and C1 from it.

medic780 wrote: »
    You will have to use the driving schools vehicle unless you have your own truck. Just because the H.S.E. are looking for the C1 doesn't mean that you have to sit the C1 test if you do the C test you will automatically get your C1. The C test costs the same and it is the same test but you get both C and C1 from it.

Thanks for the reply

I've been out in a C vehicle doing some driving lessons ... but as it has a split gear box ie hi and low and is 9 metres long I have found it more difficult to master coming from driving a car.

I am hoping to do the test in the smaller C1 vehicle as this would suffice to drive an ambulance, most C1 vehicles are only 5 metres in length. (if registered after 2004)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Louth EMT

I'm a member of the order of malta so i used there ambulance which is a C1 vehicle. I suggest you join a vol group and ask them if you can use there ambulance for your next test - Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SAR.

Thanks for the reply

I've been out in a C vehicle doing some driving lessons ... but as it has a split gear box ie hi and low and is 9 metres long I have found it more difficult to master coming from driving a car.

I am hoping to do the test in the smaller C1 vehicle as this would suffice to drive an ambulance, most C1 vehicles are only 5 metres in length. (if registered after 2004)

If you think you could manage to get used to the lenght of the c class trucks, another option you have is if you find a driving school that has a truck that is older than six years the split gear box rule doesnt apply to those trucks. So you could sit your test in one of those trucks and most of them only have six gears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Tech Dave

SAR. wrote: »
    I think more or less everyone that applies for the test gets to sit it. As long as you have everything your asked there should be no reason not to get invited. Its getting in the top percentage that gets invited to sit an interview is the tricky bit. Obviously the more that apply for the aptitude test the harder it will be to get in the top i think its two hundred they call for the interview well its was last year anyway.The very best of luck to all of you who are sitting the tests this week hope you all do well.
    Yeah i know that but i was wondering the approximate number of people that will actually sit the tests? i've heard numbers rangin from 600 to 14,000 believe it or not!

Tech Dave wrote: »
    Yeah i know that but i was wondering the approximate number of people that will actually sit the tests? i've heard numbers rangin from 600 to 14,000 believe it or not!

I was told last year by a local officer that just because you apply for the test doesnt guarantee you a place in the exam. You could be shortlisted sorry i thought thats what you meant

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Hightower21

Hi, Just on the driving tests
    I Sat my C (full truck) a few weeks ago.
    For this test I was required to have a truck that had full hi- Low gear box with 8 forward gears and a box compartment on the back. so a flat bed truck will not do.
    I passed anyway and got my C & C1 licence included.

Hope this helps. Roll on aptiptude test days.
    Best of luck to thoses in this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Hightower21

By the way, Is there any good websites that you can practice online or print out aptitude test to practice.
    The public jobs only has verbal reasoning but not analyatical tests (the ones with the boxes! and which comes next etc.
    have tried google but there seams to be so many out there.

Thanks#

Hi, Just on the driving tests
    I Sat my C (full truck) a few weeks ago.
    For this test I was required to have a truck that had full hi- Low gear box with 8 forward gears and a box compartment on the back. so a flat bed truck will not do.
    I passed anyway and got my C & C1 licence included.

Hope this helps. Roll on aptiptude test days.
    Best of luck to thoses in this week.

The type of vehicle you use for the test depends on the age or when it was registered, 2004 vehicle specs differ from pre 2004

see attached
    appendix_5.pdf

• Advertisement

The type of vehicle you use for the test depends on the age or when it was registered, 2004 vehicle specs differ from pre 2004

see attached
    appendix_5.pdf

This is what i was saying earlier... Any truck that is older than 2004 is exempt from the split gear box regulation or hi low as its called in the posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

By the way, Is there any good websites that you can practice online or print out aptitude test to practice.
    The public jobs only has verbal reasoning but not analyatical tests (the ones with the boxes! and which comes next etc.
    have tried google but there seams to be so many out there.

Thanks#

The EMT aptitude test familiarisation booklet can be downloaded from publicjobs.ie

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/getDoc.do?name=1056007_EMT_Trainee_Familiarisation_Booklet.doc

This has verbal and analytical reasoning samples for you to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

going in for my aptitude test tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 madtom112

anyone know when they will be recruiting again missed this one

Good luck to everyone sitting the tests!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dchief

any word back from how tests are going? mine is on thursday afternoon, maybe see some of ye up there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dave36

hi all, i was in first test session this morning and approx 60 of us sat test. They are rigorous in checking driving licence n especially check issue date, one guy was taken aside but i dont know if he was allowed sit test. Test itself was tricky n time was an issue, i had done a course will helped alot. However i still could not get all questions complete. Glad to have it over and done with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 The2minator

Did any one get in that past their test after the 7th or were they refused. Or did they just leave u in once you had your full license

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dave36

unfortunately i cant answer that one but can tell u licence was checked twice by 2 different staff members

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod note: Text speak is not allowed to be used in this forum.

Thanks.

dave36 wrote: »
    They are rigorous in checking driving licence n especially check issue date, Test itself was tricky n time was an issue,
    Or did they just leave u in once you had your full license
    dave36 wrote: »
    unfortunately i cant answer that one but can tell u licence was checked twice by 2 different staff members

• Advertisement

Thanks all the same if anyone has any up date let me no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 redpoppy

I did the test first thing yesterday morning - I got the verbal reasoning test done in time with a minute to spare or so but the analytical test was much harder and I didn't get it finished on time, keep an eye on the clock !

Regarding the driving licence, I don't think they will allow you in without the date before the 7th. I passed my test in April and kept the Cert until the advert for the EMT came out and only got my licence issued on 1st October and when the girl checked it at the test yesterday, she said "Oh you just got it in time" so they are being pretty strict with it.

Good luck to the rest of you guys sitting the test this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Griffindore

Well done to everyone who made it through the last 2 days test and good luck to everyone tomorrow. I'll be on the chopping block tomorrow aswell and the nerves are already kicking in. Was the place hard to find? Dont' want to waste time trying to find it and get there in a panic.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 redpoppy

no it not hard to find, if you come across O'Connells Bridge and take 1st left on o'connells street, I think its called Abbey Street Middle and walk a minute or two and you'll see the crowd stood on the left side of the street outside Chapter House.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Griffindore

Thanks for that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

Well done to everyone who made it through the last 2 days test and good luck to everyone tomorrow. I'll be on the chopping block tomorrow aswell and the nerves are already kicking in. Was the place hard to find? Dont' want to waste time trying to find it and get there in a panic.:eek:
    did my test yesterday too....
    don't underestimate it, it's pretty tough alright.
    why dont you try and find it on google earth? now that ireland is all "mapped and photographed" you should find it no problem. you'll get to see exactly what the building looks like and any memorable landmarks around it to help you recognise it as you walk down. and just for the record its "abbey street UPPER".
    i used google earth and found it very helpful...
    good luck in the test....

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

They are definitely turning people away with licences dated after 7th October, happened someone I know of today, got a text from him straight afterwards.

Anyone getting the train to Heuston and then the LUAS, or using LUAS Park N' Ride, Chapter House is at the Jervis Street LUAS stop.

Simples.

Does anyone know of anyone who got in with a license dated after the 7th. Surely there is some one out there?

coolmoose wrote: »
    They are definitely turning people away with licences dated after 7th October, happened someone I know of today, got a text from him straight afterwards.

Anyone getting the train to Heuston and then the LUAS, or using LUAS Park N' Ride, Chapter House is at the Jervis Street LUAS stop.

Simples.

If they are checking the licence twice what the first person might miss the second person will catch. The only thing that'll put your mind at ease is if you go up yourself and try your luck. If you havent far to travel sure why not try your luck....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Funkducky

I recieved a text and email from HSE today detailing new round of recruitment for P & AP, did anyone else get it as I can't find it on public jobs or HSE site and it was suppose to be posted at 2pm today.:confused:

Advertisement