Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 halpers

Am I right in thinking that garda clearance and clearance from overseas isn't needed until you've been accepted onto the panel??

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

halpers wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that garda clearance and clearance from overseas isn't needed until you've been accepted onto the panel??
    the overseas clearance is only requested 5 days before the start of the training. I'd get on to that now if I were you, I needed clearance from germany and the uk. the german one took around 3 weeks but the uk one takes 40 working days...
    ...got mine only this morning.
    as far as garda clearance goes, i think you sign the form at interview stage although i may stand corrected on that.
    but defintely get on to overseas now, it would be a shame to get so far and miss out because of that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gracesla

Flaker wrote: »
    Interview preparation course.

Hi, does anyone think these are of any use? I just called a company <mod snip> and it seems to be mostly about filling in the application form.

Also, as I am from the north of the country, it is a bit far away for me. I would have to take time off work, pay for 2 nights accomodation and pay for the course. And it's this weekend and they only have 2 spaces left! It just seems like too much to organise in a short space of time!

I would seriously consider it if anyone here had done and thought it worthwhile. Or does anyone know of one running in other places?

I've done a couple of structured interviews before and did ok in them but I am just afraid that there is something specific to the EMT interview that I would miss knowing about if I didn't do a course.

Advice please?

RE Flaker Above: I've been in contact <mod edit: a company> and they've said they have to have it this wkend because of all our essays have to be in by next Friday. Few points below about the course which they have sent out to me. Doesn't say anywhere it focuses mainly on the essays which you've stated. Even if they do, they are pretty much what the interview is based on so if you don't realise that you've not got much hope getting passed the interview stages. Price wise they are obviously <mod edit: competitive> as they are 250 for 2 days whereas <mod edit: others> are €150 for one day. Plus I've just called them to see about spaces and they said they aren't limiting the spaces, the more people they get in the more tutors they get in.

<mod edit: Course content removed. Please PM this to the user instead. Thanks.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonm

Hi all,

Hope this helps others

I phone <mod snip> this morning to check what was required as to the driving record print out. There are two documents normally recieved.

1. Is a single page detailing current license and stating penalty points and endorsements

2. Is a document detailing all your previous licensing history.

The one that they require is the first one but if you get both submit everything.

Got back on to my local licensing authority this morning and you have to request both documents and they will print them on the spot and for no charge (but that is up to the local licensing Authority)

Thanks to all that offered me help. Now on to working out what to put in this application. Have to work this weekend so cant make the course in <mod snip> but trying to change this

sent my application off this morning...hopefully an post will deliver it by the deadline...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

emtally wrote: »
    sent my application off this morning...hopefully an post will deliver it by the deadline...

you're certainly on the ball!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 The2minator

Hello did anyone get in or knows anyone that got in with full c1 license dated after the 7th of October if so you might mail me ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tech Dave

Hello did anyone get in or knows anyone that got in with full c1 license dated after the 7th of October if so you might mail me ASAP.
    I don't! I very much doubt anybody did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gracesla

I know someone who had it dated for the 08th of October and they were told it wouldn't be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 halpers

My place of merit was in the 70's. Just wondering does anyone know how the scoring is done? There was only 80 questions so if I came in the 70's it would mean that over 70 people got better scores than me. How is this possible if there is only eighty questions? It would mean I only got 4 or 5 questions right. Dont get me wrong im delighted i got through but was just wondering how they score it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

halpers wrote: »
    My place of merit was in the 70's. Just wondering does anyone know how the scoring is done? There was only 80 questions so if I came in the 70's it would mean that over 70 people got better scores than me. How is this possible if there is only eighty questions? It would mean I only got 4 or 5 questions right. Dont get me wrong im delighted i got through but was just wondering how they score it.

No that's not what it means at all...if that was the way then anybody below 80 would have gotten nothing right? And those in the 100's got a negative score? :eek:

As regards Civil Service aptitude tests, generally the tests are all marked using a standardised answer and score key, with negative marking normally applicable to the verbal comprehension part. They are also marked by computer so any marks not legible by computer are not counted, and may influence your score.

If there are people on the same score, they are normally randomly assigned a number, and then the Order of Merit for those on the same score is achieved by arranging these random numbers in sequence (what sequence I don't know). This is considered the fairest method of arranging those on the same score. So to say you only got 4 or 5 questions right is wrong, you probably did much better than that (along with a lot of others)!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinor

Does anyone know what the eye sight requirement is?
    Thanks.

eoinor wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the eye sight requirement is?
    Thanks.

As far as I am aware, there is no "requirement" as such, if you're eyesight is adequate for driving licence purposes then that's considered good enough. This is whether it is corrected or not by lenses (I wear glasses). I simply got an eye test completed by my optician (including colour blindness tests) and brought this completed form with me to the Occupational Health Dept. along with a copy of my vaccination results etc.

The medical is generally a questionnaire regarding your health status, and a check of BMI, BP, weight, bloods etc. Fasting bloods aren't necessary but can be taken as part of a cardiac screening. This is done to offer advice and care to employees who may be at risk.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Griffindore

I've just finished my application form after 4 days for thinking, writing and rewriting and rewriting to hopefully get the information down as they want it. I didn't think it was going to take me this much time and effort. I just hope it's what they're looking for and in the format they want.
    I hope everyone else is getting on well with theirs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SAR.

Well done to all who passed the first stage.
    <mod snip> Dont forget to have a plan B and maybe even a plan C ready for each case because if the panel isnt happy with your story they'll ask for another one. Just a word of warning to anyone who may have missed that bit, think it might tell you that in the application form anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

SAR. wrote: »
    Well done to all who passed the first stage.
    <mod snip> Dont forget to have a plan B and maybe even a plan C ready for each case because if the panel isnt happy with your story they'll ask for another one. Just a word of warning to anyone who may have missed that bit, think it might tell you that in the application form anyway.
    +1. I was asked for two alternative scenarios in my interview. wasnt asked about the ones I had written about at all. Thankfully I had prepared them (the night before) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Sparkey84

Hello guys does anyone know about sending off the original leaving certain if doing a e mail application. It says send scaned copy with application form but do I post original aswell? Does that have to be in by deadline also?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

RE Flaker Above: I've been in contact <mod edit: a company> and they've said they have to have it this wkend because of all our essays have to be in by next Friday. Few points below about the course which they have sent out to me. Doesn't say anywhere it focuses mainly on the essays which you've stated. Even if they do, they are pretty much what the interview is based on so if you don't realise that you've not got much hope getting passed the interview stages. Price wise they are obviously <mod edit: competitive> as they are 250 for 2 days whereas <mod edit: others> are €150 for one day. Plus I've just called them to see about spaces and they said they aren't limiting the spaces, the more people they get in the more tutors they get in.

Wow, that's a pretty negative response. If you'd read my post (and previous posts too) you'd have realised that I'd done structured interviews before. Not only done them, but passed them and gotten promotions through them too, so I know how they work thanks. The comment about having much hope of passing the interview stage was pretty harsh. What do you know about me or whether I'd pass or not? And all the information I had posted re: the course was WHAT I'D BEEN TOLD BY THE COMPANY IN QUESTION. They obviously gave you different information.

This forum is about giving each other help and constructive information, not about having a dig. Think about that before you post an unhelpful reply again.

Does anyone know why temt10 is printed in the box candidate reference number? Should I cross this out an put in the candidate Id I used for appittude test? Thanks

Sparkey84 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why temt10 is printed in the box candidate reference number? Should I cross this out an put in the candidate Id I used for appittude test? Thanks
    Sparkey84 wrote: »
    Hello guys does anyone know about sending off the original leaving certain if doing a e mail application. It says send scaned copy with application form but do I post original aswell? Does that have to be in by deadline also?
    I would (and did) leave the "temt10" in place, i presume they have all the canditate id's they need. They'll have your name and address anyway.
    To your other point, my understanding is that you only email scanned copies of the required documents, and yes, it'll have to be recieved by the deadline.
    I sent all mine in by registered post (and got my doc's back a few days later again by registered post) rather than email.

• Advertisement

This forum is about giving each other help and constructive information, not about having a dig. Think about that before you post an unhelpful reply again.[/QUOTE]

just remember, its not inconcievable that some of us could be working together!
    I agree, just facts please

temt10 is the reference number for the competition, e.g Trainee EMT 2010. Leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dave36

Sent my application today, deleted temt10 and put in my cadidate number, hope this will not affect my application? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

dave36 wrote: »
    Sent my application today, deleted temt10 and put in my cadidate number, hope this will not affect my application? :(

Not sure if it will but I did ring them yesterday about it and i was told to leave it as it is. The woman also told me to send a copy of my EMT cert in along with my leaving cert results even though I have a science subject.

Thanks guys for the information I very much appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

coolmoose wrote: »
    temt10 is the reference number for the competition, e.g Trainee EMT 2010. Leave it alone.

How about the Candidate Refernce No.: in the Applicant Detail section underneath Position Reference No. ? What goes there ? The candidate ID for aptitude ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 redpoppy

I would leave the Candidate Ref No as it is TEMT10, I think if they wanted us to put something in the box it would have been left blank, that's the way I've submitted my application.

I just put my Candidate ID on the email when I sent the application off.

brianon wrote: »
    How about the Candidate Refernce No.: in the Applicant Detail section underneath Position Reference No. ? What goes there ? The candidate ID for aptitude ?

Didn't get the application form so not quite sure...are you saying that TEMT10 is printed in both of those boxes?

I know my form had the TEMT reference number on it for the Position, not sure we actually had a candidate ref no at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

So did anyone who posted get an email to acknowledge that they got you application ?

• Advertisement

brianon wrote: »
    So did anyone who posted get an email to acknowledge that they got you application ?

Hiya, I read through the application info, I don't believe they send a confirmation email for post applications, I could be wrong but that was the main reason I emailed mine so as to get a reciept and not be wondering if they recieved it or not.

Advertisement