Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 medic999

Its gone very quiet on boards, is everyone training really hard,,,:rolleyes: only seven weeks to the new year and then maybe news on the next class intake me hopes,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 seangannon

Lads whatever anyone says, the course is brilliant. It's a lot of.very hard work but if you have any interest whatsoever it is brilliant. I have only been in 2 weeks but I love every minute.

Has anybody, any idea when the last class may be taken in:rolleyes:, hopefully not too long, getting kind of tired of waiting,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ardyl

Hi lads, just seen that the HSE are running a campaign for Intermediate Care Operatives/ EMT/Paramedic. Qualification requirements are C1 license and to be a currently registered EMT with PHECC. Just wondering does anyone know what impact this has on the remainder of the 2010 panel if any. This is a new recruitment campaign similar to the one we quailifed for last year, except basic entry requirement is now at EMT level.
    Is this good for those of us waiting to be called from the current panel?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

ardyl wrote: »
    Hi lads, just seen that the HSE are running a campaign for Intermediate Care Operatives/ EMT/Paramedic. Qualification requirements are C1 license and to be a currently registered EMT with PHECC. Just wondering does anyone know what impact this has on the remainder of the 2010 panel if any. This is a new recruitment campaign similar to the one we quailifed for last year, except basic entry requirement is now at EMT level.
    Is this good for those of us waiting to be called from the current panel?????

Those jobs are intermediate care operatives not paramedic jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

ardyl wrote: »
    Hi lads, just seen that the HSE are running a campaign for Intermediate Care Operatives/ EMT/Paramedic.

It is not a competition for Intermediate Care Operatives/ EMT/Paramedic - it is for PHECC Registered EMTs to work as Intermediate Care Operatives on Intermediate Care Vehicles.

This is the PTS side of the service, and will also respond to minor 999 calls and to other 999 calls as backup to Paramedic/AP crews.

This will not in any way affect the current Paramedic panel, as they are not the same job.

thanks for that coolmoose, its nice to know that we may still be called soon. cheers

Not too sure about that now, i am also waiting to be called from the 2010 paramedic panel but just saw today on the HSE website that they are recruiting for a panel of phecc registered paramedics to fill upcoming vacancies. Applications have to be in by the 8th Dec and holding interviews from the 12th January and a panel will be formed then. I think it's not good news for us that are left on the current panel as it looks like they are going to recruit a panel of registered paramedics and a panel of intermediate care operatives and not have the cost of training us that remain. Would love to know where we stand and we won't be told. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

I wouldn't worry, the EMT's are for a completely different service as stated above.

the qualified Paramedic panel is to fill imminent gaps in the service due to recent changes and upcoming changes in the way the resources are deployed, such as the removal of on call and the change of some rosters in the south as well as other shortages nationwide.

they could wait for the trainees to qualify but this will take time, in the mean time there is a shortage, the qualified paramedic panel is to cope with the short term shortage.

the Trainee paramedic panel is for the strategic shortage from natural wastage and to fill the long term shortage and reduce overtime etc.

but either way we will find out in Jan if the panel has been extended, which expect it will. then we continue to wait till we get the call. (fingers crossed)

Many thanks Stevie06, hope it does happen for us, me too keeping the fingers crossed, all we can do is wait,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭The Villain

Does anyone know how many people are left on the 2010 panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kev2011

i heard they are up to 96 with the last class that went into ballinasloe

Dose anyone know how many where taken onto the panel in the first place?

i think it was about 120, but just a note of warning, there are alot of people that have deferred the last offer due to very short notice, so that isn't a true reflection of the number left on the panel, but i imagine that there is probably enough for 2 more classes, so about 50 ppl.......

from what I heard the last class went up to 90. 100% sure they havent gone to 96.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

stevie06 wrote: »
    but just a note of warning, there are alot of people that have deferred the last offer due to very short notice
    Yep; Heard the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

they are defo not up to 96. im early nineties and havent heard anything

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Louth EMT

Folks just wondering if any of yee can help me. I'm applying for the PTS positions with the HSE and was just looking for some advice on how best to prepare for the apptitude tests. I've never done these before so any advice would be greatly welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Louth EMT wrote: »
    Folks just wondering if any of yee can help me. I'm applying for the PTS positions with the HSE and was just looking for some advice on how best to prepare for the apptitude tests. I've never done these before so any advice would be greatly welcomed.

There are three methods:

1. They will provide you with sample aptitude test info on the publicjobs website by next week I think. This can be downloaded and used to help you prepare.

2. Go to Eason/Waterstones etc and buy a book on Aptitude Tests, or go online and search for Verbal Comprehension tests and Analytical Reasoning tests.

3. Sit an aptitude test preparation day course, offered nationally by various companies. Have a google for EMT Aptitude Test Course and you will see some results.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kev2011

bono_v wrote: »
    they are defo not up to 96. im early nineties and havent heard anything

i was obviously fed duff information so.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 groundhurling

I wonder if they will need to start a new recruitment campaign once this panel is exhausted? Or am I dreaming!

• Advertisement

hi lads

was talking to a paramedic friend of mine today and was looking at the books he used in training. I was just wondering do all the people off the panel enter the training process without any prior medical knowledge. I know that thats the platform the college like to train us from, but now I'm concerned about being behind from day one... any advice

I would guess that on the panel there is a wide range of Experience ranging from people with lots of Prior Medical Experience (nurses, EMT's etc) to First aiders with Vols to people with limited or no Medical Experience.

I guess it is no harm to do some prior reading, but i wouldn't go buying the books your buddy has. maybe ask him for a loan, i've looked at the A&P book and it boggled the mind, i didn't know where to start. :D

I got A&P for Dummies to help soften the blow and i have some handy Apps on my phone as a reference.

but as you have said, they will teach the class from scratch, so it is just a case of staying with the class from then, some prep work never goes amiss, but just don't get bogged down with it! well that is my theory anyway from talking to a few of my buddies who have been through or are currently doing the course.

thanks for that stevie 06

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rahin man

Bang bang ive a feeling you send me on calls to parnell st every wednesday??

Does a wall seperate us at work but my id card wont let me in the 2nd door!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

rahin man wrote: »
    Bang bang ive a feeling you send me on calls to parnell st every wednesday??

Does a wall seperate us at work but my id card wont let me in the 2nd door!!!

No not me, I'm not in the control room, if that's where you mean. But if you you're working close by the control centre then getting a tour won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rahin man

I thought you were the one giving us the new ampds codes. keep getting the dispatch codes book tangeled in the field guide ring bind.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

rahin man wrote: »
    I thought you were the one giving us the new ampds codes. keep getting the dispatch codes book tangeled in the field guide ring bind.!!!

You have the AMPDS book of codes, there's a start with understanding the principles of the system. A bit more research and you should be ready for interview:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod Note: Some posts have been deleted as they discussed part of the interviewing process. Please remember this is not permitted.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DrMicrobe

Hey Guys,
    I just have a quick question. Im interested in becoming a paramedic but dont have my LC. I was thinking of doing a private EMT course (gonna cost 2,500 yoyos). My questions are will I be able to apply for the paramedic training scheme with the HSE with this EMT qualification without my LC but with the EMT qualification, and secondly, if I cant get on the paramedic scheme, are there any EMT jobs out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

DrMicrobe wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    I just have a quick question. Im interested in becoming a paramedic but dont have my LC. I was thinking of doing a private EMT course (gonna cost 2,500 yoyos). My questions are will I be able to apply for the paramedic training scheme with the HSE with this EMT qualification without my LC but with the EMT qualification, and secondly, if I cant get on the paramedic scheme, are there any EMT jobs out there?

Short answer is no and no.

You'll have to go back and do your LC unless it's the DFB you're looking to get into. The EMT will cover as a science subject if you don't do one. I'm open to correction but I dont think any of this has changed.

There aren't really any EMT jobs out there atm but keep an eye out for the HSE recruiting for patient transport staff as for that all you'll need AFAIK is your EMT and C1 and D1 licenses.

Advertisement