Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DrMicrobe

Cool. Thanks for that-any idea of how difficult it is to get on the DFB course? Can't seem to find a link about recruitment on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

Hey, a quote from HSE website:
    "
    • Be the holder of full clean C1 driving licence (no restrictions) Paramedic students will be required to obtain a full D1 driving licence prior to being offered employment, following paramedic qualification.
    • Have a good standard of education. Potential students will be required to hold a minimum of 5 passes, including maths and a science subject, at leaving certificate pass or honours level. Secondary Education from other countries equivalent to the above may be considered.
    • Be of good health and may be required to pass a fitness test
    • Successfully complete an entrance aptitude test
    • Successfully complete a competency based interview process
    • Receive a satisfactory rating in an occupational health screening assessment
    • Receive clearance from the Garda Vetting Unit
    You need to have the LC done, if you had it done and didnt do a sceicne subject then the EMT course would bypass this as far as Im aware. But youll need to do your LC.
    I think the biggest employers of EMTs are the private ambulances, Medicall, LifeLine etc. Dont quote me on that though its just what Ive heard.

Some sites to have a look at maybe:
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/ambulanceservice/Paramedic%20FAQs.html

http://nats.ie/

and sign up to Public Jobs too, thats where they advertise,

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/home.do

- Dan

DrMicrobe wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    I just have a quick question. Im interested in becoming a paramedic but dont have my LC. I was thinking of doing a private EMT course (gonna cost 2,500 yoyos). My questions are will I be able to apply for the paramedic training scheme with the HSE with this EMT qualification without my LC but with the EMT qualification, and secondly, if I cant get on the paramedic scheme, are there any EMT jobs out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

DrMicrobe wrote: »
    Cool. Thanks for that-any idea of how difficult it is to get on the DFB course? Can't seem to find a link about recruitment on their site

It's not about getting onto a 'course' as such, it's about being recruited as a fire fighter and paramedic as a full time job.
    There is currently a ban on recruitment into Dublin Fire Brigade and they also have a panel of potential recruits in situ.
    When they do recruit there will be a set standard of education, last time it was a pass Inter/Group/Junior cert. In line with other public bodies you will be required to meet the educational standards, then sit an aptitude test. If successful you will then be called for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Does anyone have any idea when the next course will be? I was hearing March? How soon in advance do they text you? 2 months? Im due for the next class so Im just praying it is still going to go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 medic999

Ya me too, waiting for the next class, i heard march too and i'm hoping it must be right cause the first stage exams for our class are booked with Phecc for the 11/12 july and if you take 20 weeks for the first stage to complete it would give us a start date around the 4th of march, we should get 6-8 weeks notice but beware that the last 2 classes only got 2 weeks notice, wont be too long now either way, once xmas is out of the way we should be looking forward to getting the call, me thinks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Smashhits

Hi All

My son who is doing his Leaving Cert in June 2012 is very interested in becoming a paramedic. I have no clue of where he should go. I've read some of this thread but it's quite long. He's doing Hons Biology. What else should he do? Is there a certain website that would be useful to him.

Thanks

Smashhits wrote: »
    Hi All

My son who is doing his Leaving Cert in June 2012 is very interested in becoming a paramedic. I have no clue of where he should go. I've read some of this thread but it's quite long. He's doing Hons Biology. What else should he do? Is there a certain website that would be useful to him.

Thanks

Hi Smashhits. That's great that your Son is planning his career well in advance. he will require a pass Leaving Cert with a Science subject and Honours Biology is perfect.

Regarding the age for employment as a Paramedic. The requirement prior to commencement of training is a C1 driving licence which you can not apply for until you are 21 years of age with a full B driving licence. Your licence must also be free of penalty points. These are the requirements for the National Ambulance Service.
    Dublin Fire Brigade also operate an ambulance service within Dublin and they recruit from 18 years old. There has not been any recruitment with Dublin Fire Brigade for a couple of years now but National Ambulance Service paramedic recruitment has been ongoing.

Some websites to browse;

http://hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/ambulanceservice/

http://www.phecit.ie/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

The very best of luck to your Son with his studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Hi Smashhits. That's great that your Son is planning his career well in advance. he will require a pass Leaving Cert with a Science subject and Honours Biology is perfect.

Regarding the age for employment as a Paramedic. The requirement prior to commencement of training is a C1 driving licence which you can not apply for until you are 21 years of age with a full B driving licence. Your licence must also be free of penalty points. These are the requirements for the National Ambulance Service.
    Dublin Fire Brigade also operate an ambulance service within Dublin and they recruit from 18 years old. There has not been any recruitment with Dublin Fire Brigade for a couple of years now but National Ambulance Service paramedic recruitment has been ongoing.

Some websites to browse;

http://hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/ambulanceservice/

http://www.phecit.ie/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

The very best of luck to your Son with his studies.

Sorry bang bang it's the D1 you have to be 21 for you can do your C test when your 18

I suggest that your Son join a voluntary organisation like Civil Defence or Red Cross, there he will get a feel for the work involved and will gain valuable training and experience

adam88 wrote: »
    Sorry bang bang it's the D1 you have to be 21 for you can do your C test when your 18

I suggest that your Son join a voluntary organisation like Civil Defence or Red Cross, there he will get a feel for the work involved and will gain valuable training and experience

Thanks for that adam88, I did indeed quote the wrong license class.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 superserg78

any word yet folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

Not a thing, they asked for me to renew my police clearances so that is something positive.

they said that they have heard nothing, but rumours are March.

hopefully we hear this month!

Just hoping and praying rumours are true about march. Imagine getting a call in the next week or two....it sure would get rid of the january blues!!!

Please, please, please let us get a call soon to start, its been such a long time since december 2010, hopefully hear something by the end of this month, fingers crossed,

Rang hr today. Said they`ve heard nothing about any plans for any classes this year:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

According to the national framework, AP training looks largely on the agenda for this year.

bono_v wrote: »
    Rang hr today. Said they`ve heard nothing about any plans for any classes this year:'(

Was that Manorhamilton you rang?

According to the national framework, AP training looks largely on the agenda for this year.

That doesn't really mean anything for the current panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

But it would be a pointer as to why they have not got any paramedic classes planned for this year as yet. However I do hope that is not the case. :-)

I don't think AP training will interfere with the remainder of our panel, AP training was scheduled in for this year anyway as the exam dates are booked with PHECC and posted on their exam calendar. The exam dates are also booked for class 14 Paramedic trainees which is our next class for the 11/12th july so going on that i reckon we will here something in the next few weeks. The last 2 classes to go in only got short notice and HR in manorhamilton were only notified a few days earlier so it seems just because manorhamilton don't know anything about class intakes doesn't mean it won't happen, they will exhaust this panel i reckon.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end...... i hope so. I've handed in my notice at work in case the notice from HSE is as short as last time..... they didn't give offers till this week last year, so i wouldn't be too worried yet! as was already stated, Manorhamilton only had a few hours notice before they issued offers for the November class, so just because they don't know of a course, doesn't mean that the NASC isn't planning one. fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Amanda11

hey im a graduate of ucc with BA hon but as theres no jobs im thinkin of changing career path... What must i do to be a paramedic?? any advice greatly appreciated??

Amanda11 wrote: »
    hey im a graduate of ucc with BA hon but as theres no jobs im thinkin of changing career path... What must i do to be a paramedic?? any advice greatly appreciated??

Not giving you a short answer as such Amanda11 but try the search tab and you'll find loads of info here.

Briefly though, you'll need your leaving cert which must include a science subject. You will also require a full clean, penalty points free C1 driving licence. Then when the National Ambulance Service advertises a competition for Trainee Paramedics you apply. If you meet the above criteria you'll be called to do an aptitude test, if successful you will then be offered to attend an interview. Successful applicants are then awarded places on the trainee panel on merit. Before being called for training you will need to complete a satisfactory medical check and Garda clearance/vetting.

The best of luck for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Thepredator

Penalty points are not an issue, its endorsements that will cause problems. Maybe if you had 8 or 10 points they might start asking questions.

I don't think it will be happening for us in march, we surely would have heard something by now, last years class that started on the 26th march were notified on the 18th january, still hoping tho, it is definitely a waiting game:confused:

has anybody rang them recently?

I rang them a couple of weeks ago and they said they have no request from the NAS as of yet to send out the training offers. My worry is that with the recruitment of intermediate care operatives(EMT's) and the upskilling of ap's that we may not get an offer until all this is out of the way first which could take months. The emt's will have to have induction training and i heard the first 40 of these posts are to be filled straight away so that will push our offers out until these posts are filled. My question is are they going to take on Emt's and leave us waiting in the wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mossie1m

lets stay positive, the NAS need to cut the overtime bill and with all the voluntary redundancies being taken up this year they will have to fill these positions. It will happen for us just maybe have to wait a little longer.

Has anyone any word yet? or heard anything that may lead us to believe there may be a chance of a start in march? just putting the word out there?

I emailed them earlier in the week, but they are waiting for news like the rest of us. but i guess the positive side is that they still think there will be a class, they just don't know when!

it will happen, just when it will happen is anybodies guess. I did hear a rumour to say that there was a class for late march/early april. so if that is true, we should hear in the next 2-3 weeks........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

For those asking questions of how to become a Paramedic, please search this forum and boards in general, as it has been answered a number of times, including by myself.

This thread should help with the basics - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055986379

Advertisement