Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Patrick11 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I'm absoutely gutted. My partner was no. 30 on the existing 2009/10 panel for EMT. He was notified last week that he is now dormant on the panel as he doesn't meet the new eligibility criteria. He does not have a leaving certificate as he took up a trade following his junior certificate and achieved an electrical science level 6 Fetac Advanced Certificate which under the National Qualification framework equates higher than a leaving certificate. We are both absoutely gutted over this and do not understand why a National Qualification framework exists in the first place if it is not adhered to and recognised within the HSE Recruitment Sector. I myself am a public servant and cannot understand the reasoning behind this decision. Anyone have any answers.

I'm really sorry to hear this Patrick11. I can't imagine how frustrating and disappointing it must be to get through all the hoops onto a panel to become an ambulance service Paramedic only to be told you can't do it because of new requirements!

All I can say is that this is a requisite put in place by UCD who award the Diploma, and not the HSE. They require all their students now to have the LC. From what I have heard, UCD won't even recognise FETAC Level 5 certs instead, but you might get more answers by ringing them.

http://ucd.webdirect.ie/dip_gradip.htm

Let us know what they have to say if you do ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Patrick11

Thanks for that Elessar. I got in touch with UCD so hopefully we will finally get some clarity on what exactly is the academic equivalent to the leaving certificate requirement. I wonder have they set the academic equivalent themselves under thier own entry requirements or is it within the national framework or the NUI entry requirements. If nothing else will be interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Patrick11

Hi Everyone,

Got in touch with UCD. The educational equivalent to the leaving certificate requirement is British/Northern A Levels. No other Irish Academic qualification bar a leaving certificate will gain you entry to this course.

This recruitment campaign has been dragging on now for nearly 2 years. I don't have any particular grievence in UCD looking for a leaving certificate as an entry requirement but in all fairness if they had informed everyone 2 years ago a lot of the candidates on the existing panel who do not have the educational requirements could have had their leaving cert completed by this stage. What good is receiving a letter saying that you are now dormant on a panel that we all know is going to expire anyday now on the flick of a pen. Being dormant on a panel ain't going to pay the mortgage

Sorry for the rant just totally raging with the entire system and the way this was all handled. Better to have expired the panel last September when they had enrolled their first class than to carry on this fiasco of changing entry requirements at the last minute for those who were not lucky enough to get into the first class and hanging on for months in the hope of securing a place on the second class. Disgraceful and may I add typical of the country we are all living in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 medicfar

it a joke if i was was told about the leaving in september i would have the leaving done this year.the last letter i got from the hse telling me i was on the panel and being on the panel ment all i had to do was pass the medical and garda clearance and i was in . it looks like they wanted to cut the panel .hse and ucd have a monopoly on the training and education for emt and paramedic which will get a career at the end of everything, at less in other country you can in other ways but here,s a joke .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BIDMU0

Hey everyone, I hear the HSE is planning on running a recruitment drive for people to train up to paramedic level in September again. I am very interested in applying for this but I was wondering would anyone who has gone through the process be able to answer a few questions for me that i haven't been able to get answered so far?
    I hear there are several stages to the application including apptitude testing, psych profiling and interview etc... How long roughly does the whole thing take from application to, hopefully, finding out you are on the panel?
    Also when the course itself runs, does it start in september with the colleges or is there a notification period to getting on the course? will they say call you and say you are starting in a few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

BIDMU0 wrote: »
    How long roughly does the whole thing take from application to, hopefully, finding out you are on the panel?
    Also when the course itself runs, does it start in september with the colleges or is there a notification period to getting on the course? will they say call you and say you are starting in a few weeks?

The whole process takes a couple of months from advertisement to being informed of a panel number. Back when I applied it was advertised in Jul, applications in by Aug, aptitude tests end of Sept, results end of Oct, interviews were in Nov, and took first class into training from this panel start of March of the next year. This isn't the usual timeframe, just letting you know that it can take a while.

As regards classes starting, they can begin at any stage of the year as they do not follow the other college timetables (because you are attending the National Ambulance Service College), but you will be given a few weeks notice of this beforehand. The classes generally seem to alternate between NASC West (Ballinasloe) and NASC East (the Park).

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Glad I opted for Biology in the Leaving now! Although I don't understand why the Leaving Cert is required for applicants over 23 (mature students) who could potentially train as doctors without it?

Anyway, rumours of new recruitment campaign in September, anyone hear anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 corky70

I heard september as well for recruitment so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

corky70 wrote: »
    I heard september as well for recruitment so fingers crossed
    here's hoping for that...
    i'm an unemployed emt with c1,d1 and a leaving cert equivalent (i hope) done in germany in '85!
    ...and my chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Guys. Wife is EMT. In a volunteer ambulance service for over a year now. Has her C1 and in proess of getting D1. Leaving cert and degree. Waiting for a new recruitment process.

Her biggest weakness is the aptitude test. Are there any good books or websites to help or out here ?

• Advertisement

brianon wrote: »
    Guys. Wife is EMT. In a volunteer ambulance service for over a year now. Has her C1 and in proess of getting D1. Leaving cert and degree. Waiting for a new recruitment process.

Her biggest weakness is the aptitude test. Are there any good books or websites to help or out here ?
    Hi brianon,
    fair play to your mrs...i had the same problems with the aptitude tests. I couldn't find any decent websites, well none that were free anyway, so i looked back at the suggested reading listed on the last recruitment drive and ordered from www.play.com the latest editions of "how to win at aptitude tests", "how to pass selection tests" and "how to succeed in psychometric tests".
    If you put theses exact titles in their search box you'll find them no problem. I got them cheap enough and second hand, they were all in excellent condition.
    Hope this helps and good luck...
    I heard the new drive starts 24th sept...we'll see...

Thanks for that. You mentioned a 'suggested reading list'. Is this available anywhere ?

no worries...
    i found it in the "emt test familiaristion booklet". not sure what year tho...
    try and google it...

it wasn't a book list as such, it listed those 3 books only...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

dont laugh but i find brain training for the nintendo ds is very good, its imporved how i do mental arithmatic and calculating things etc...

no laughing matter...yeah that'd help too, as does stuff like reading, sudoku, crosswords and puzzles...in fact the ds has some excellent puzzle titles. the "professor layton" series springs to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

One of the aptitude Test prep courses would be well advised. I done one myself last time round and ended up in the top group unfortunately the interview didn't go so well. I'm not gonna name any of the course sippliers but they're easy found if you look

what sort of price range would we be talking about?

emtally wrote: »
    what sort of price range would we be talking about?

I can't remember off hand sorry. Shouldn't be too hard to find out.

darragh. Do you remember where or who supplied the courses ? All I can find is <mod snip> one but it takes 6/9 months to deliver.

• Advertisement

I'll have a look for my notes when I get home, If you don't mind I'll pm you with the details as I've seen people being cautioned for advertising :(

I'll have a look for my notes when I get home, If you don't mind I'll pm you with the details as I've seen people being cautioned for advertising :(

Thanks for that.

just found out, they won't be looking for the d1 and will accept the emt qualification as a science leaving cert equivalent...
    just when i thought all hope is gone...

just found out, they won't be looking for the d1

AFAIK you need to have gained a full D1 by the time it comes to the end of your internship though, otherwise you won't be offered employment. Best to get it as soon as you can I think!

As for the EMT in place of science subject, I have been unable to get a definitive answer on this, be careful of the rumour mill!

From www.nats.ie

"Have a good standard of education. Potential students will be required to hold a minimum of 5 passes, including maths and a science subject, at leaving certificate pass or honours level. Secondary Education from other countries equivalent to the above may be considered. "

No mention of EMT, so be careful. If you get a definitive (i.e. in writing) answer from someone who matters that EMT will be accepted then please share it here!

got my info from pretty much the horses mouth (hse, mentioning no names),
    i was told that i "should" be ok with the emt.
    as for the d1..have it...
    if i get anything in writing, this place will be the first to see it...

I am worried about the aptitude tests as well as I have D and C licence and leaving cert with science and 3rd level but the aptitude is my worry , has anyone heard any time in september they will be recruiting ?

hi corky70,
    i heard its starts on 24th sept but thats not set in stone...usual stuff, get registered with www.publicjobs.ie for alerts and watch out in the press

Ah cheers for that Emtally
    will get on to jobs.ie thanks:) good to have a rough idea on when it might start :)

got my info from pretty much the horses mouth (hse, mentioning no names),
    i was told that i "should" be ok with the emt.

Again, be careful, it's not the HSE that are setting the requirements for LC, it's UCD, so I'd try to find out for "sure"...rather than "should".

I've heard the EMT being accepted too (from people in the know in the NAS, no names!) but no mention of it anywhere officially which basically means it's not definitive at the moment.

• Advertisement

coolmoose wrote: »
    Again, be careful, it's not the HSE that are setting the requirements for LC, it's UCD, so I'd try to find out for "sure"...rather than "should".

I've heard the EMT being accepted too (from people in the know in the NAS, no names!) but no mention of it anywhere officially which basically means it's not definitive at the moment.
    all fair comments coolmoose...
    i certainly wont take it as gospel until i have it in black and white....

Advertisement