Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Chris_uel

Hi all. From research, I am not bothering with this school. The money is poor and the job can be done by anyone. Basically, read the manual. No teaching required. If you want to teach then don't do it with these guys. You do not teach. You would go crazy with this school.

But it is your life, you decide. I am only warning you.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

Cogar wrote: »
    Having worked for SABIS and having left because of the conditions I wouldn't ever want to go back. there are much better pay and conditions on offer elsewhere. (I do think that a qualified teacher would find the conditions atrocious - i.e. how the schools are run - they are purely there to make money and do not hide this fact. they also pretend and try to convince you that certain conditions (e.g. ADHD) does not exist and put this down to bad teaching - if anything goes wrong, it is always the teacher who is at "fault") yes it can be extremely exciting - the prospect of living in oil rich UAE, but think carefully about your decision. they are not like western schools at all. however i would not advise you not to go - i am merely offering my opinion having worked for SABIS. Best of luck with your decision.

In reply to Cogar, I am just wondering where you would recommend for someone who is trying to gain experience as a teacher but is not yet qualified? At the moment SABIS sounds like a great idea for me as teaching is something that I really want to do but I have obviously read some negative things about it too. Thanks.

Katy B, I have not worked for SABIS but take it from an experienced teacher - this is not teaching. However, they will pay you but not a great amount. To apply, look on the TES jobs website and navigate to international primary jobs. Here is the direct link - http://www.tes.co.uk/job/primary-elementary-teacher-41999/

From what I have heard, you are looking at between 5000 - 10000 AED (£876 - £1753, €1052 - €2104) per month. I would guess you would get the lower end with no experience. Yes it is tax free and accommodation and such paid for so it may be fine for you. PM me an email address and I will send you a link for some further reading on how SABIS work. Be ready to make a video CV amd fill in a lengthy application form and answer any questions they also ask on the form.

Thanks, Chris

Chris_uel wrote: »
    Katy B, I have not worked for SABIS but take it from an experienced teacher - this is not teaching. However, they will pay you but not a great amount. To apply, look on the TES jobs website and navigate to international primary jobs. Here is the direct link - http://www.tes.co.uk/job/primary-elementary-teacher-41999/

From what I have heard, you are looking at between 5000 - 10000 AED (£876 - £1753, €1052 - €2104) per month. I would guess you would get the lower end with no experience. Yes it is tax free and accommodation and such paid for so it may be fine for you. PM me an email address and I will send you a link for some further reading on how SABIS work. Be ready to make a video CV amd fill in a lengthy application form and answer any questions they also ask on the form.

Thanks, Chris

Thanks Chris, I applied to SABIS a few months ago and have completed my phone interview and sent on my documents. I still have not made a video cv yet though.

I was really just wondering if there was anywhere else that I could apply to also without being qualified?

Google English First. They have schools around the world as well. That may be a better offer plus a lot more lenient towards teachers.

• Advertisement

Alia89 wrote: »
    Hi people,

Referring back to the interviews, I have been sent an email requesting; degree certificate, passport copy and a police clearance form...all of which I have provided apart from the clearance form, Im from London and ive enquired about this at my local police station and they were useless and didnt know what a police certificate/clearance form is.

If anyone from London or near enough London has had to provide a clearance form as part of their interview process, how did you go about doing that? And is it the same as a Subject Access request?

Thanks.

Hi I hope you managed to figure out what clearance form you needed. I received an irish one in the post before xmas but haven't managed to get it back to SABIS yet. I also still haven't uploaded a video cv yet. I am wondering how long this needs to be and what are the best things to talk about? I hope this hasn't been holding up my application.
    Have you heard anything back from SABIS since?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭freckly

Hi I posted this time last year wanting to go to Muscat with friends. I didn't go but am still thinking of it for next year. Could anyone working there let me know what the general atmosphere among the staff is? Good to go out with and the likes? And, as I said last year I'm not a recent grad (not ancient either, 27!) and am wondering if there are others over there in or around the same age without a family. Am just still worried that I would be the only non-recent grad. Can you choose the school with SABIS? I want to go to Muscat but nowhere else. Do they let you decide? Would be really grateful if anyone with working knowledge of Muscat could reply! Or PM if you don't want to post. Thanks

Just google them and email them a CV. No harm in trying. I think they have a high staff turnover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

freckly wrote: »
    Hi I posted this time last year wanting to go to Muscat with friends. I didn't go but am still thinking of it for next year. Could anyone working there let me know what the general atmosphere among the staff is? Good to go out with and the likes? And, as I said last year I'm not a recent grad (not ancient either, 27!) and am wondering if there are others over there in or around the same age without a family. Am just still worried that I would be the only non-recent grad. Can you choose the school with SABIS?

You can put your country of preference on the application form. I want the UAE, so I put that down that as my only option. The guy in the phone interview said that he didn't know where the vacancies would be (this was in early december) so I guess they put you where the vacancies are. I guess that's when current teaching staff decide whether or not they're signing a new contract.

I'm thirty next year, so you're younger than me. I wouldn't worry about age, as it'll come in handy....i think it always helps to look (to school students) like you've got a bit of life experience.

I think they recruit a lot of Irish teachers for some reason. If you read this thread, there seems to have been a lot of teachers going to Qatar last year. Anyways, hope that helps. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Alia89

Katy_B wrote: »
    Hi I hope you managed to figure out what clearance form you needed. I received an irish one in the post before xmas but haven't managed to get it back to SABIS yet. I also still haven't uploaded a video cv yet. I am wondering how long this needs to be and what are the best things to talk about? I hope this hasn't been holding up my application.
    Have you heard anything back from SABIS since?

Hi,

Yes thanks, I managed to get a police clearance form, I was advised to get a CRB check from my local police as they don’t 'issue police clearance reports' my CRB check states if I’ve ever been cautioned, convicted or reprimanded and any other serious and less serious issues which have been recorded in my file. It all came clear, so I emailed it off to the recruiter from SABIS.

I have not heard anything back from them, the last I heard from one of the recruiters was an email requesting me to urgently notify my referees to fill out a reference report about my previous and current employment status. I notified them and its been sent off to the recruiters....

I’m still patiently waiting to hear back from them...fingers crossed.

I also haven’t done a video CV and I was also wondering if this is holding up my application...from what I’ve read the video CV has to be 2 minutes long briefly introducing yourself and why you feel you’re the one for this role in the SABIS organisation.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Let's leave the modding to the mods.
    Backseat modding not needed, thanks.

I for one believe that a gay or lesbian teacher working in certain countries running the risk of possible execution is very much a consideration for this forum, if we are advising Irish people to go work there.

Its my impression of moderators that they seem to moderate to their own likes and dislikes, and are not impartial.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Kohl wrote: »
    Its my impression of moderators that they seem to moderate to their own likes and dislikes, and are not impartial.

If you have a problem with a moderator you can contact them by PM to discuss the problem. Do not reply to moderator decisions on-thread. That also goes for this warning.

If you have a problem with a moderator you can contact them by PM to discuss the problem. Do not reply to moderator decisions on-thread. That also goes for this warning.

Well you see, I don't have a problem with any moderators, but you're taking it upon yourself to put words in my mouth, that i do, thereby verifying my point about moderators not being impartial. Don't like it?..... go ahead and ban me and you will prove my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Kohl wrote: »
    Well you see, I don't have a problem with any moderators, but you're taking it upon yourself to put words in my mouth, that i do, thereby verifying my point about moderators not being impartial. Don't like it?..... go ahead and ban me and you will prove my point.

Infracted for ignoring a mod warning. Do not post in this thread again. You are dragging it off topic.

Might as well get this thread back on topic after that little moment.

Anyways, check on YouTube for video CV examples. Lots on there. It would be nice for any past or present SABIS employees to make a comment about their views.

I have no intention of working for SABIS. I could do the job with my eyes closed and I personally do not think it is a job for an experienced teacher.

Someone like to prove me wrong?

Hi people,

Was wondering if anyone who's had their first interview last month or even recently heard anything back from the recruiters about the second interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pjfogarty

Hi people,

Was wondering if anyone who's had their first interview last month or even recently heard anything back from the recruiters about the second interview?
    Hi ,
    I am totally ignorant to this SABIS stuff.I know its teaching abroad in dubai etc .Can you explain in a few sentences?as i may be looking for work soon.

Thanks
    Pj

pjfogarty wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I am totally ignorant to this SABIS stuff.I know its teaching abroad in dubai etc .Can you explain in a few sentences?as i may be looking for work soon.

Thanks
    Pj

Hi,

Its basically teaching abroad like you said, but its more or less being able to follow a thorough system and being able to teach with ease yet being professional. The SABIS structured method of teaching is more or less like a manual for any new teacher, it literally tells you how to teach such as the points method; writing points down and then breaking each one down until the students have understood it.

From the stuff I've read so far; teachers have no real input, but who is to blame? SABIS who are known for their unique teaching types or 'qualified teachers' who seek employment when its made clear from the start that no real teaching experience is needed. Unless of course an area of expertise is advertised for employment.

Other than that, SABIS provide training and other pleasant benefits. It should also be a great experience for any individual to be able to travel, interact and teach.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them after my first interview 3 weeks ago...fingers crossed :)

pjfogarty wrote: »
    Hi ,

Thanks
    Pj

Hi,

Its basically teaching abroad like you said, but its more or less being able to follow a thorough system and being able to teach with ease yet being professional. The SABIS structured method of teaching is more or less like a manual for any new teacher, it literally tells you how to teach such as the points method; writing points down and then breaking each one down until the students have understood it.

From the stuff I've read so far; teachers have no real input, but who is to blame? SABIS who are known for their unique teaching types or 'qualified teachers' who seek employment when its made clear from the start that no real teaching experience is needed. Unless of course an area of expertise is advertised for employment.

Other than that, SABIS provide training and other pleasant benefits. It should also be a great experience for any individual to be able to travel, interact and teach.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them after my first interview 3 weeks ago...fingers crossed :)

And pay is pretty awful if you are a qualified and experienced teacher. It is about in line with the lower end of the teaching payscale and that is net pay

• Registered Users Posts: 4 amlyn

Hey guys, I am hoping to move to the UAE asap and Im wondering if I do a TEFL course, would I have a chance of getting a job with SABIS? I also have a degree, altho its nothing related to teaching...! I get the impression that SABIS do not require too much experience?

• Advertisement

amlyn wrote: »
    Hey guys, I am hoping to move to the UAE asap and Im wondering if I do a TEFL course, would I have a chance of getting a job with SABIS? I also have a degree, altho its nothing related to teaching...! I get the impression that SABIS do not require too much experience?

From what I read, SABIS do not even require you to have any teaching experience at all. Not a thing. They will train you in their ways. I suggest that you do your research first to see if this is for you and then go back a page or two on this thread and you will find a link to the TES website where they are currently advertising. Remember not to just read their literature but also opinions of people who have worked there or considered it. For an inexperienced position, it is perfect I guess.

Hi people,

Hi, I had my phone interview bk in Oct and have sent everything bk to them. I have not heard anymore about another interview yet.

Hi, I had my phone interview bk in Oct and have sent everything bk to them. I have not heard anymore about another interview yet.

I think they're taking applications until February. I'm sure there won't be any news of the next stage until after that.

Hi,

Did you manage to do the video CV in the end?

Hi,

Did you manage to do the video CV in the end?
    Hi, yeah I got it done and emailed it bk last week. Did you?

Hi,

Nope, didn't do it, but I'm now thinking maybe I should...just don't know what to talk about really. What kind of things did you mention in a nutshell?

Hi,

Nope, didn't do it, but I'm now thinking maybe I should...just don't know what to talk about really. What kind of things did you mention in a nutshell?

Sorry to interupt but if you have a look on YouTube, there are loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ally_ally

Hi People,

Has anyone heard anything back from the SABIS recruiters, (those who are in the interviewing process ofcourse.) I'm pretty anxious, and waiting eagerly to hear back from them, was wondering if anyone else has.

Thanks

Hey Alia,

I emailed them before christmas asking a few questions and i sent off my cv. They emailed back a few days later with the application form to fill out and to do the youtube video. I got another email a few days ago saying that i have a telephone interview on the 22nd of January!!!

Did this happen to anyone else? Interview without really applying?! I have the form filled out now, and i plan on doing the video this week.

Anyone have any interview tips?!! Thanks!

Ally_ally wrote: »
    Hi People,

Has anyone heard anything back from the SABIS recruiters, (those who are in the interviewing process ofcourse.) I'm pretty anxious, and waiting eagerly to hear back from them, was wondering if anyone else has.

Thanks

Hey Alia,

I emailed them before christmas asking a few questions and i sent off my cv. They emailed back a few days later with the application form to fill out and to do the youtube video. I got another email a few days ago saying that i have a telephone interview on the 22nd of January!!!

Did this happen to anyone else? Interview without really applying?! I have the form filled out now, and i plan on doing the video this week.

I was offered am interview over the phone but eventually turned it down. As for tips and advice, read the information they have provided you with and be prepared to be questioned on it. Perhaps some ass kissing wouldn't go amiss either along the lines of complimenting their way of doing things and how that you agree with their ethos. For example, the 'point' method they use and the idea of working as one big group to achieve their full potential (even though I feel that is the biggest load of bull**** going along with all their other trash!)

I know that they ask you various questions on the form as to what you'd do in a situation. If at all possible, have that file open on a pc along with your CV also.

As for the interview, get yourself a pad and write some questions down. Also, try not to interrupt the interviewer.

What experience do you have Ally? Hope some of this helps!

• Advertisement

Ally_ally wrote: »
    Hey Alia,

Hey Ally,

The same thing happened to me, but instead of emailing them I had attached my CV along with a personal profile under the SABIS careers website, they then emailed me the application form..which I didn't fill out for a month or so. They then texted me telling me that I've got an important email..then they emailed me again saying I have an interview with them if still interested, to which I replied I still am and attached my application form along with an apology for not doing so before. So you can see I didn't really get off to a good start with them.

I guess all you can do for the interview is just listen and not interrupt the recruiter, also a good idea to have the application form infront of you as most of the questions are based on them. Also be ready to answer some common sense questions like; would you ever lose your temper? You will also find yourself repeating the same answer to most of the questions.

Good luck.

Advertisement