Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rachw444

In person up in dublin.. I hope I hear from them soon I hate the waiting game 😂 congratulations on being successful with yours 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ciaran795

I haven't heard a thing back either since I sent away the contract with my signature over two weeks ago (after the face-to-face interview) :-/ It's worrying because until they actually sign it as well it isn't really legally binding I suppose.

Hopefully we'll hear something soon enough though! I'm sure, like many people, I don't want to be left in a situation where I'm having to turn down other things for next year without a concrete guarantee that this is going to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mercek

Mudmask wrote: »
    I have just started my application. Did those who interviewed submit a video CV?

I did. It can't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KillianMc89

Anyone else get an email today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 needinghelp22

ya, told me they have no suitable vacancies at the moment. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 KillianMc89

Yeah i got the same email, fairly sickened, thought it was in the bag really :(

Yeah I got told the same

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Serafina_jah

ya, told me they have no suitable vacancies at the moment. :(

I got the same. I'm absolutely devastated. After all the time and energy put in it's just awful. I was told by the interviewer that I wouldn't be there if there wasn't work available!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fudgey1994

I got the same. I'm absolutely devastated. After all the time and energy put in it's just awful. I was told by the interviewer that I wouldn't be there if there wasn't work available!!!

I got the same email, I'm actually quite pissed off as my interviewer didn't even interview me, she just went on about how good life is over there. I think it's very unfair.

Fudgey1994 wrote: »
    I got the same email, I'm actually quite pissed off as my interviewer didn't even interview me, she just went on about how good life is over there. I think it's very unfair.

I agree Fudgey. Disgraceful. I got the same. He more or less implied thaat I had the job and this was the life I was going to experience when I got there. I'm really annoyed. The whole application up to this point has taken 4.5 months.

• Advertisement

Do you think that is the end of it or could they turn around in June and say there is a space available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fudgey1994

At the interview I was given 4 preferences my first being Sharjah. The email I got today was just from Sharjah, I wonder what the story was with my other 3 preferences. Did anyone get an email getting accepted today?

HR Sharjah I think deal with everyone, they've been contacting me since the beginning so I don't think it will have anything to do with the location choices. I'd say some of us will be contacted during the year ��

Same as, since September I have always been contacted from HR Sharjah. It must be one of the locations where their recruitment team is based.

Killian, Rach, Fudgey, Serifina, and NeedingHelp:

Mind if I ask what majors you all have or if you have had teaching experience? I did not get an email today.

I am in my final year so I don't have a degree yet but il graduate with an honours degree in applied social studies when I finish. I know, it's not a teaching degree but I was hoping to teach English and social studies over there. I gave my age preference as 6-12 year olds aswell when he asked :) hope that's helpful.

Rachw444 wrote: »
    I am in my final year so I don't have a degree yet but il graduate with an honours degree in applied social studies when I finish. I know, it's not a teaching degree but I was hoping to teach English and social studies over there. I gave my age preference as 6-12 year olds aswell when he asked :) hope that's helpful.

It is, thanks! I will graduate in May with a Health and Physical Education degree so I'm hoping I can get a PE teaching job!

Do you think that is the end of it or could they turn around in June and say there is a space available?

Who knows! I think it's possible, maybe some people will go out, hate it and leave and they'll need replacements. I'm not gonna hold my breath though!

mercek wrote: »
    Killian, Rach, Fudgey, Serifina, and NeedingHelp:

Mind if I ask what majors you all have or if you have had teaching experience? I did not get an email today.

I have BA Hons in Spanish and psychology, neither of which they teach so you probably have a better chance with PE. I'll keep everything crossed for you. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MightyMc92

I'm genuinely gutted for everyone, surely they must have vacancies for people somewhere. I'm in the same position as mercek in that I have'nt heard anything back from HR Sharjah. I have a Bachelors of Commerce Degree and experience of working as an assistant in a classroom for four months last year and two months the year before. I'm after getting offered a job recently in the field of accounting with contractual obligations and have to decide in the next few days on it. Im thinking of emailing hr sharjah and seeing what's the situation with my case. Did everyone who received emails last week get them from Hr Sharjah?

• Advertisement

MightyMc92 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely gutted for everyone, surely they must have vacancies for people somewhere. I'm in the same position as mercek in that I have'nt heard anything back from HR Sharjah. I have a Bachelors of Commerce Degree and experience of working as an assistant in a classroom for four months last year and two months the year before. I'm after getting offered a job recently in the field of accounting with contractual obligations and have to decide in the next few days on it. Im thinking of emailing hr sharjah and seeing what's the situation with my case. Did everyone who received emails last week get them from Hr Sharjah?

I believe someone mentioned they got emails from HR Sharjah. Did they say during your interview, Mighty, when you could expect to hear back? Also, do you know of anyone else getting an answer? Congrats on the other job offer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ciaran795

There's a really interesting 'Generation Emigration' article on the Irish Times website from last week about what it's like to live and teach in the Gulf for young graduates. Unfortunately I can't post a link to it here, but if you go onto SABIS's Facebook page ('Teaching In Dubai') you should be able to find it! :)

It's certainly worth reading if you're also looking to pursue this opportunity or indeed any kind of position with a school in the Gulf. It's also worth looking at SABIS's own reply to some of the issues raised by the article (in the comments section below the article link on their page) so that you can draw your own conclusions.

Like with any position you take, there are going to be benefits and drawbacks. Hopefully though this might give some people a little more insight into the lifestyle and, in particular, the culture that may be in schools out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Amal08

I applied nearly 2 months ago. Didn't hear back. I had to chase them around. So when I rang they said that there weren't any suitable vacancies left and that they would get back to me when something came up. I didn't even get interviewed. You'll find that they may call you offering you an urgent interview or a role like around June time. That's what they did with me in June. I had applied almost 1 year ago and lost hope after waiting. Then they called me in June saying they wanted to interview me the next day. I didn't take the interview as I became committed to another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

Hi Guys,
    For anyone who has done the year away.. how much money do you actually end up saving? I'd be lying if I said it wasn't my main reason for going to be honest. So I need to know if it's actually worth it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Danevin77

Breifne72 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    For anyone who has done the year away.. how much money do you actually end up saving? I'd be lying if I said it wasn't my main reason for going to be honest. So I need to know if it's actually worth it :P

Hi, if you want to live and enjoy yourself on a regular basis you will not save much until you get your end of year pay year one or your bonus in year two. The work is too hard not to enjoy yourself at the weekends and when we have weeks off, I and many others here finishing my first year have saved f all to be honest but I've had the best year of my life, in fact I'm in debt after Easter holidays and have had a lot of visitors from home too, so waiting on summer pay. You can save but you'd be living like a hermit which is what people are trying to get away from in Ireland but if you can stick two years you get to live well on all your wages and leave with a big bonus and money from the government then and that's the real money maker

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scully789

Hey did anyone not get the email saying there was no places available but still didn't get their location yet?
    I emailed them asking about it and they said hopefully they'll get back to me shortly?
    also, who got the email about the Preliminary Instructions for the Attestation of Documents? I didn't really understand that like what is required?

scully789 wrote: »
    Hey did anyone not get the email saying there was no places available but still didn't get their location yet?
    I emailed them asking about it and they said hopefully they'll get back to me shortly?
    also, who got the email about the Preliminary Instructions for the Attestation of Documents? I didn't really understand that like what is required?

Did they send a contract? I just signed a contract the end of last week for Al Ain. I am radiating happiness!

mercek wrote: »
    Did they send a contract? I just signed a contract the end of last week for Al Ain. I am radiating happiness!

I signed a contrat after my face to face interview, was told to send it with my 4 location preferences but I haven't got my location yet?
    What did they email you saying?
    I'm starting to get worries but I got an email a fews ago saying "we hope you are looking forward to working with us"
    Did ou send away your attested documents?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 evab101010

scully789 wrote: »

Does anyone know what the story is with this? I've had to pay 50 quid to get my degree scroll translated, and now it will be 40 euro per stamp in the DFF for the degree, my Leaving Certificate and college transcripts (5 pages) so altogether 330 euros? Please tell me I've gotten something wrong here 😁

• Advertisement

evab101010 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with this? I've had to pay 50 quid to get my degree scroll translated, and now it will be 40 euro per stamp in the DFF for the degree, my Leaving Certificate and college transcripts (5 pages) so altogether 330 euros? Please tell me I've gotten something wrong here ðŸ˜
    I haven't got them stamped yet but I think it is around that much, have you got a location yet?

Advertisement