Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LolaM

I agree Fudgey. Disgraceful. I got the same. He more or less implied thaat I had the job and this was the life I was going to experience when I got there. I'm really annoyed. The whole application up to this point has taken 4.5 months.

Hi Guys
    Did Sabis ever get back to you guys again with a job offer. They did the same thing to me just this week. Wasted the last month applying to them and had to go to so much effort to get my referees. They sent me about 20 emails a huge application form and went to the expense of getting my degree translated, police certificate the lot and than the guy on Skype on the second interview hinted I had it and than a week later get this email Im not qualified sorry. Seems a real waste of time asking for all that stuff unless they serious about giving the person the job. They really left me feeling angry and disgusted. But on the plus side Ive heard they are awful to work for and treat their staff really badly so maybe we had a lucky escape

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ciaran795

RagsOBrien wrote: »
    Muscat is a good place to live if you are of retirement age. It depends what you are seeking. Muscat is nothing like the bright lights of Dubai. It is like the Offal of the GCC. On the plus side, it isn't badly polluted, there are big shopping malls, good Hospitals and impressive scenery on the outskirts of the city and beyond. It has done fancy Hotels that are pricey also, if that's your thing.

It's a 6 hour drive from Dubai too if you wanted to go there at weekends or during school breaks.

I will say this and it is purely my opinion- if I could go back in time I would never have moved there. It's a pleasant place to spend a few weeks and after that reality and reality sets in; extreme boredom.

The school is very badly managed and expect to be told important information at the last minute or not at all. They also pay on random days near the end of the month so you will never know what day your salary will be in your bank account, if you get a bank account within the first 6 months that is. If you miss a day due to illness, your salary can be deducted by the equivalent of 120 euro.

The area of the 'city' where the Chouiefat accommodation is located has very little in the way of infrastructure. Therea are a handful of petrol stations and a few medical centres. Oh and the school is close by so they can monitor your movements.

I would recommend holding out for a differect city and applying to other schools. Chouiefat has a terrible reputation as an employer.

Unless you'really really stuck for a job, I would not go there. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions at all.

Thanks so much for your reply Rags, I appreciate your opinions. By the time you posted I had already accepted the position there....I did initially try and request somewhere else but was pretty much told it would be very difficult. I don't have any teaching degree or proper experience, so getting into a school in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, for example, was always probably going to be pretty difficult, if not impossible. I'd say almost everyone who was offered Muscat didn't have it as one of their preferences! I just thought that it might be best to stick with what I got offered, given that the alternatives (if I got offered any) mightn't be much better. I'd imagine some of the problems that you and others have mentioned here apply to a lot of ISC SABIS schools in general.

One question I just wanted to ask you about was the accommodation provided by the school. What is it like to live in and does it really come fully equipped when we arrive? It's one of the main areas which we are told pretty much nothing about!

Also, in terms of a social scene, is Muscat completely dead....did you find it hard to make friends and get to know people? I'm definitely a bit nervous about heading out there on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ggone

Hi all,

Anyone who has worked for Sabis in UAE, I've noticed a clause that says if you break contract, you have to pay at least half month's salary for each remaining month of the contract, which would equate to thousands!!

To be clear, I have no intention of breaking a contract.

But say for example god forbid you had an accident out there and were unable to work/something happened back home (family members)in Ireland that you had to finish and go home etc.

Life being life, there could be any unforeseen sad/tragic event that could result in breaking a contract. The sick leave part of the contract just explains how many sick days you are entitled to etc.

Anyone able to offer me any insights? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Honestly, all those rules you mentioned don't mean much. It all comes down to the particular school you're in and what you can get away with based on your relation with the staff.

You'll just have to use your best judgement. I took one sick day all year and they never batted an eyelid, they never even asked for a doctor's note, other places thought will bash down your apartment door to make sure you're sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ciaran795 wrote: »

One question I just wanted to ask you about was the accommodation provided by the school. What is it like to live in and does it really come fully equipped when we arrive? It's one of the main areas which we are told pretty much nothing about!

Also, in terms of a social scene, is Muscat completely dead....did you find it hard to make friends and get to know people? I'm definitely a bit nervous about heading out there on my own!

I have been in a few of their houses over there, the come furnished but don't think they come with TV's (could be wrong the people I knew there bought theirs). One of the place I seen wasn't great but it is what you put in ot it I guess. If they are treated like student digs they will look like it.

In terms of social scene there is one but nothing on par with home or Dubai. In the 7 years I was there it was deminishing each year. The closure of the rugby club, new laws and less expats I guess.

However you just make your own fun. Get a booze license, camp in the desert/on a beach/get a group to hire a boat at the weekend etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hi i am looking to head over to teach abroad in the new year. My subjects are religion and english.

was just wondering would anyone be able to give advice on the best ways to go about getting a job in Dubai or the Abu Dhabi ?

i have already signed up to teachaway.com or is there a better recruitment website ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 regularcoolguy

Hi Folks,
    Hoping by applying early I'd get a decent spot around the UAE I've a degree in Business with IT, but I do a bit of tutoring part time to young and old along with a bit of coaching underage. Went on the SABIS website to register there but no option for the Middle East only the US and Americas. Any body experience this too? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShaunaM95

Hey guys,

I sent in my application to SABIS yesterday. I'm hoping to get Maths, Science or Biology teaching in Dubai *fingers crossed*. I am dreading going over on my own if I get it though, do many people go over alone?

Also when I went in to view my applications on the SABIS website, it said I had applied for English teaching today, which I never did. Is that something SABIS do or could it be a mistake?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fookisthatguy

Hi guys,

Was just wondering if anyone had heard back from SABIS about face to face interviews in February/March.

I thought they would have got back to people by now to let them know if they have an interview or not.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

Hi- A lot of people go over on their own- I wouldn't worry about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭roxychix

Hi guys teach and explore are an Irish company so they might be bit helpful when looking for jobs in dubai. Same as hopefully going over in Sept. Don't really know anyone other than 2 or 3 acquaintance. I'm assuming can meet few people through the gaa and work etc. Know there I irish village. I'll go there look sad maybe someone will befriend me😉🙉

Ya, I'd say the majority of Irish people you'll meet through work :) I'm going over alone too (if I get it) so I'm in the same boat. Although I know a guy who went over last year on his own and he managed to make friends before the plane even left for Dubai if that reassures you any bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lo1995

Hi-
    I have applied for teaching and have just got offered my face to face interview at the end of February.
    Is it true you have to sign the contract before you get placed? Id really like to know where im placed before I sign anything I only really want to go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi!
    Im only 21 whats the general age for applications I feel like Im definitely one of the youngest and I dont know anybody else that is going out either!
    If anyone has any advice with regards the interview or just teaching in the UAE in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dnong

I've been offered a skype interview as well, mine is tomorrow morning. Really not sure what to expect at all, the sabis website shows my interview is only scheduled for a half hour, and the location given is Sharjah. Not sure if thats a set location? I'd prefer Dubai but I suppose Sharjah is as close as you can get if not. Im really hoping I'll know after my interview if I'm getting a second one or not. 
    Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lo1995

dnong wrote: »
    I've been offered a skype interview as well, mine is tomorrow morning. Really not sure what to expect at all, the sabis website shows my interview is only scheduled for a half hour, and the location given is Sharjah. Not sure if thats a set location? I'd prefer Dubai but I suppose Sharjah is as close as you can get if not. Im really hoping I'll know after my interview if I'm getting a second one or not. 
    Wish me luck!
    Ya that's sounds the same as when I had my Skype interview and it also said Sharjah aswell but I don't think that means you will be placed there! Make sure you can talk a little bit on teaching methods (point system) and a little bit on Sabis history for your interview! Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Had a interview yesterday in blanchardstown for the adec. Anyone hear anything about working for adec ? I heard a few bad things myself but dont know what to beleive.

Hoping to get a position in a private school

Just had my skype interview, I feel it went fairly well. When did you find out about your second interview? He asked me about my location preference so you're right Sharjah is not a set location. I felt that the salary was lower than what I was expecting, but with housing and everything not being an issue it's not terrible. We'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

What subjects did ye apply to teach with SABIS? I applied to teach science, biology or maths about 4 weeks ago and I still haven't heard a thing back, I'm really starting to panic now 😭😓

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EmmaMichelle

21 won't be the youngest, a lot of people go straight after college :)

• Advertisement

I was just offered my skype interview last week, and they only gave me about 4 days to prepare for it so don't worry it could come any time. I'm just anxiously waiting now to hear about a second interview, hoping it's not too long of a wait, I cant handle the suspense :( 
    I applied for biology, science, and english. I believe for science there's a technical assessment that has to be completed

Do you mind me asking how long ago you applied for SABIS?

And congratulations on getting the first Skype interview anyway! My friend was in the same boat, she applied for Economics teaching and got an email the next day about a Skype interview for the day after that. Shes's the same as you waiting to hear about the second interview now. I didn't realise there was a technical assessment for science teaching, I hope they get back about it soon!

I hope so too! It felt like a bad sign that he didnt say anything about a second interview at the end of it, it seemed like he was really there to just ask his questions and deliver his information. I submitted my applications at the end of January, probably about 3 weeks ago or so. I was surprised the day I got my email, I wasnt expecting it to be anytime soon. Hopefully you'll hear any day now!

Ya my friend is thinking the same, she didn't hear anything about a second interview at the end either but they did ask if she was closer to limerick or Dublin for the face to face interviews so she's clinging on to that 😂 I'm sure you'll hear something soon enough anyway! I went back over my applications and I had told them I've been available since last August instead of not until this August so I had to go back and reapply to everything to change it! I also applied for Chemistry and English teaching now so hopefully I'll hear something soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcginlaa

Have a face to face interview in a dublin on Monday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 theluckyirish

Hey guys, just to let you know that it is usually around April when people are notified what school they will go to. Don't be too disheartendg if you don't get your first choice. If your in it for the experience or just to save money it won't really make a difference. If you don't get your first choice in the UAE but you get another option within the country don't stress. It is so easy and cheap to get around from one city to the other. METRO, TAXI, BUS AND MINI VAN'S to name but a few. If you drive..... Even better for you... Renting a car will cost you roughly about 1900 dirhams a month which is about 400 euro or something like that.... Easy option is to share with your flat mates. Hope this helps you guys and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcginlaa

Hey guys, just to let you know that it is usually around April when people are notified what school they will go to. Don't be too disheartendg if you don't get your first choice. If your in it for the experience or just to save money it won't really make a difference. If you don't get your first choice in the UAE but you get another option within the country don't stress. It is so easy and cheap to get around from one city to the other. METRO, TAXI, BUS AND MINI VAN'S to name but a few. If you drive..... Even better for you... Renting a car will cost you roughly about 1900 dirhams a month which is about 400 euro or something like that.... Easy option is to share with your flat mates. Hope this helps you guys and good luck.

Hey! Are you working in a SABIS school? Would love to ask you a few questions! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LD95

Hey, I have my face to face interview in two weeks in Galway! Anyone know what sort of questions are asked at the face to face interview or how formal it is?

anyone else here applying for science/biology? I have a technical interview sunday with the head of the biology department & i have no idea what to expect or how to prepare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 theluckyirish

mcginlaa wrote: »

Hey! Are you working in a SABIS school? Would love to ask you a few questions! 😀
    Ask away. Send me a private message. I'm not always on this.

Advertisement