Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SarLea

mercek wrote: »
    Scully,

I also will be in Al Ain! Do you know what subject you will be teaching? I am very excited!!

I got Al Ain this morning too! Are you teaching Post-Primary?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mercek

SarLea wrote: »
    Scully,

I also will be in Al Ain! Do you know what subject you will be teaching? I am very excited!!

I got Al Ain this morning too! Are you teaching Post-Primary?
    I know I will be teaching English but they have not told me an age yet! What subject will you be teaching?

I know I will be teaching English but they have not told me an age yet! What subject will you be teaching?

I am teaching English and Social Studies. They told me I will be teaching in the intermediate to upper level grades. I haven't confirmed it yet. I am just looking into Al Ain. I sort of wanted to be placed in Abu Dhabi.

I am teaching English and Social Studies. They told me I will be teaching in the intermediate to upper level grades. I haven't confirmed it yet. I am just looking into Al Ain. I sort of wanted to be placed in Abu Dhabi.
    I am OK with Al Ain... I would have preferred Dubai or Abu Dhabi, but oh well! I have done lots of reading online about expats who have taught in Al Ain and people genuinely enjoy it! Just remember Dubai and Abu Dhabi are a short drive away to explore on the weekends! It will probably be refreshing to escape the hustle and bustle on the week days in Al Ain. :)

I am OK with Al Ain... I would have preferred Dubai or Abu Dhabi, but oh well! I have done lots of reading online about expats who have taught in Al Ain and people genuinely enjoy it! Just remember Dubai and Abu Dhabi are a short drive away to explore on the weekends! It will probably be refreshing to escape the hustle and bustle on the week days in Al Ain. :)

Yeah I am just looking it up now and it seems lovely there. If you are teaching English, I presume you will be in the Upper school too. Did you get your documents attested yet? I didn't yet

• Advertisement

Yeah I am just looking it up now and it seems lovely there. If you are teaching English, I presume you will be in the Upper school too. Did you get your documents attested yet? I didn't yet
    My recruiter only asked for a copy of my degree when I receive it and never mentioned getting it attested. Besides my degree, the only other document they want is a background check. Did they tell you that you have to have your documents attested? I am from the US, so I wonder if the process is still the same?

My recruiter only asked for a copy of my degree when I receive it and never mentioned getting it attested. Besides my degree, the only other document they want is a background check. Did they tell you that you have to have your documents attested? I am from the US, so I wonder if the process is still the same?

I would say it is different then, I am from Ireland so I presume we need to get our documents attested :)

I would say it is different then, I am from Ireland so I presume we need to get our documents attested :)
    Cool beans! Do you have other friends or classmates going to Al Ain?

No I am going by myself :( Do you? I wonder if there is any Facebook groups for people travelling to Al Ain this August?

No I am going by myself :( Do you? I wonder if there is any Facebook groups for people travelling to Al Ain this August?
    Nope, I do not know a soul going either.
    I was wondering the same about a group for Al Ain... if not we should start one! I would feel a little better having contact with others who are heading there if I have questions or what not.

• Advertisement

Anyone going to Al Ain:

I created a Facebook group to meet and chat with others going to Al Ain to teach. Please message me so I can get you in the group if you would like. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 evab101010

There's a general fb group for Sabis 2016 already just so you guys know! Just search Sabis 2016 and you'll find it ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭figrolls123

I just asked to join the Facebook group! Will be teaching music in Dubai Investment Park. Anyone else going there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scully789

did anyone else get the self-introduction document to complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭figrolls123

scully789 wrote: »
    did anyone else get the self-introduction document to complete?

Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bouge

I just had my skype interview the other day i left it very late. I am hoping to get somewhere but not holding much hope at this stage. did ye have to wait long after 1st interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ciaran795

Oh really? I did not know that. Yes I will be qualified this Summer for Post-Primary. I had my Face-to-face back in March too and they never said anything about it. My interview was with Sean Cooney and I stayed back after the interview to talk to him and he basically re-assured me I would get one of my preferences and that I would be teaching grades 7-12. Did you get offered somewhere?

I'm got an offer for Muscat! It's certainly not what I was expecting, but I was just relieved to hear from a school...I was getting really worried after so many others had received offers earlier this week. I don't really know what to make of it tbh...has anyone any experience of teaching and living in Muscat in the past?

Congratulations on getting Al Ain btw and to everyone else who has received offers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bouge

does anyone know of any other schools in the U.A.E that take on teachers without a license?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scully789

Does anyone know what happens if your in final year and happen to fail an exam that you have to repeat in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭LilyPool

Could someone give me a rough idea of the application process please?

As in what happens once you apply to the SABIS Careers website?
    Do you receive an application form from them? If so, how long before they email it to you?

What documents should you have ready to go so you can send them in ASAP once they contact you?

Are there any restrictions on the referees you can give? i.e. Do they have to be recent (within the last 2 years), etc.?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Tcb88

Hi guys,

I have reading through these threads and had a few questions that maybe someone could answer me.

1) has anyone here applied for a Physical Education position?

2) how long did you have to wait to hear back regarding a position? I had my interview on Thursday with a Mr Haley, head of PE recruitment.

3) I've had three interviews so far and all have been either over Skype or over the phone. Has anyone else has this?

Any help would be much appreciated! Congrats on those that have had offers

Ive had two Skype interviews and a phone interview. Have you heard anything back regarding a second interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 whizchick

Hi guys, I am not from the UK, I am from Trinidad and Tobago. I had my first interview with Sabis on Monday and was told that they would schedule an appointment with the Academic Quality Controller, send a copy of my passport, degrees and a police report. They also said they would be contacting my referees. I have confirmed that one of my referees was contacted. Does anyone know the next step? It is extremely difficult to get teaching jobs if you are not from the UK, US, NZ, AUS or SA. I am crossing my fingers and hoping it s a positive sign. PS I have only Skyped so far.

whizchick wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am not from the UK, I am from Trinidad and Tobago. I had my first interview with Sabis on Monday and was told that they would schedule an appointment with the Academic Quality Controller, send a copy of my passport, degrees and a police report. They also said they would be contacting my referees. I have confirmed that one of my referees was contacted. Does anyone know the next step? It is extremely difficult to get teaching jobs if you are not from the UK, US, NZ, AUS or SA. I am crossing my fingers and hoping it s a positive sign. PS I have only Skyped so far.

Dear whiz chick,

I have had the same process. I had two more interviews after my initial Skype interview. I would prepare for the next interview in case you progress. Things like what makes you a good teacher, all the experience you have so far etc. All my interviews where on Skype or via a telephone call. Let me know if you would like any more help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭RagsOBrien

Ciaran795 wrote: »
    Oh really? I did not know that. Yes I will be qualified this Summer for Post-Primary. I had my Face-to-face back in March too and they never said anything about it. My interview was with Sean Cooney and I stayed back after the interview to talk to him and he basically re-assured me I would get one of my preferences and that I would be teaching grades 7-12. Did you get offered somewhere?

I'm got an offer for Muscat! It's certainly not what I was expecting, but I was just relieved to hear from a school...I was getting really worried after so many others had received offers earlier this week. I don't really know what to make of it tbh...has anyone any experience of teaching and living in Muscat in the past?

Congratulations on getting Al Ain btw and to everyone else who has received offers! :D

Muscat is a good place to live if you are of retirement age. It depends what you are seeking. Muscat is nothing like the bright lights of Dubai. It is like the Offal of the GCC. On the plus side, it isn't badly polluted, there are big shopping malls, good Hospitals and impressive scenery on the outskirts of the city and beyond. It has done fancy Hotels that are pricey also, if that's your thing.

It's a 6 hour drive from Dubai too if you wanted to go there at weekends or during school breaks.

I will say this and it is purely my opinion- if I could go back in time I would never have moved there. It's a pleasant place to spend a few weeks and after that reality and reality sets in; extreme boredom.

The school is very badly managed and expect to be told important information at the last minute or not at all. They also pay on random days near the end of the month so you will never know what day your salary will be in your bank account, if you get a bank account within the first 6 months that is. If you miss a day due to illness, your salary can be deducted by the equivalent of 120 euro.

The area of the 'city' where the Chouiefat accommodation is located has very little in the way of infrastructure. Therea are a handful of petrol stations and a few medical centres. Oh and the school is close by so they can monitor your movements.

I would recommend holding out for a differect city and applying to other schools. Chouiefat has a terrible reputation as an employer.

Unless you'really really stuck for a job, I would not go there. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions at all.

Tcb88 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have reading through these threads and had a few questions that maybe someone could answer me.

2) how long did you have to wait to hear back regarding a position? I had my interview on Thursday with a Mr Haley, head of PE recruitment.

3) I've had three interviews so far and all have been either over Skype or over the phone. Has anyone else has this?

I applied for a PE position, but I was initially sent a contract for English. Once the director of Al Ain saw that I have a PE degree and teaching license, I had to call me and ask me to send documents to get me cleared to teach PE. Apparently it is harder to get a PE license in the UAE than English.
    Have you heard any more back?

Tcb88 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I applied for a PE position, but I was initially sent a contract for English. Once the director of Al Ain saw that I have a PE degree and teaching license, I had to to ask me to send documents to get me cleared to teach PE. Apparently it is harder to get a PE license in the UAE than English.
    Have you heard any more back?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rioghain

whizchick wrote: »

Hi Whizchick,
    It would be quite common to have a preliminary Skype interview, and then to have one or two more if you get passed the first round. It's no harm preparing in case you get through. I would definitely take it as a positive sign. Also can I just add that Ireland is not a part of the UK, therefore Irish teachers don't fall into the UK, US, NZ, AUS or SA category either. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Hi,

I am just enquiring has anyone ever taught Economics with Sabis? I'm interested in an Economic teaching post but not sure what the makeup of their economics syllabus is, is it largely maths/algebra/matrices etc. or is it largely theory/curves/markets etc? Any help appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 LolaM

have to say after dealing with Sabis for over a month was left very disappointed having did two Skype interviews the last one with a guy who seemed so uninterested and looked as if he was not even listening to my answers they email me and tell me I'm not good enough for a job with them. This guy decided this after a 10 minute Skype chat where he barely paid attention to my answers. They sent me about 20 emails to contact my references one was travelling at the time and went to all the trouble to send it back to them for me. Also spent money getting my degree translated and than they sent me a generic email saying I was not suitable. I had heard horror stories about them and how they treat their staff but was looking for a year away and to save some money so decided to go for it. I kinda feel now I dodged a bullet and would not want to work for such an organisation. Thinking of going back to do the CELTA Course and actually apply to schools in the UAE that require qualified teachers. Good luck to anybody applying hope your are successful but even when the guy on Skype tells you he is looking for schools to place you in and it seems a done deal you can get a generic email saying sorry not good enough dont care we wasted a month of your time when you could have been looking for other jobs. Would not get my hopes up with SABIS

Advertisement