Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

1636466686976

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    Took a short spin on it earlier. One concern I'd have is with the ballydawmore to blackwater road, someone after driving dual carriageway all the way from Dublin might not realise it's a two way traffic road, they should have two way traffic signs and arrows on it to remind people that it's two way.

    Yeah, I said that to the wife when we were on it a couple of hours ago. It's only a matter of time before someone finds themselves on the wrong side. Especially if they've been in the outside lane since Coynes Cross. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,250 ✭✭✭✭road_high


    There’s works on the existing N11 close to Oilgate- says down to one lane so bound to cause issues. Silly timing with the opening of a new road and changes to traffic flows


  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6


    It would be great if someone could upload a video of the new M11 section for those of us who are outside Ireland.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,381 ✭✭✭✭kneemos


    Tailbacks to the roundabout apparently at Oylgate.


  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭daraghwal


    You can see the real-time traffic info if you select it on Google maps. Shows it back to the roundabout at the moment. Did anyone find the answer to when would it be added to maps?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Alun


    It's already on HERE maps, as mentioned above ...

    https://wego.here.com/?map=52.50656,-6.44057,12,normal

    Traffic can be shown on there too if selected, and there are apps for Android and Apple.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭jd


    kneemos wrote: »
    Tailbacks to the roundabout apparently at Oylgate.
    Is this because of the new traffic lights, rather than the motorway opening?


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,381 ✭✭✭✭kneemos


    jd wrote: »
    Is this because of the new traffic lights, rather than the motorway opening?

    Not a clue. Something needs fixing anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Fixture


    Tailbacks into Olygate was very close to the roundabout at 4pm this evening. That’s 3km according to the signpost

    New road lovely and interesting countryside


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,250 ✭✭✭✭road_high


    Fixture wrote: »
    Tailbacks into Olygate was very close to the roundabout at 4pm this evening. That’s 3km according to the signpost

    New road lovely and interesting countryside

    But according to AA there’s roadworks just south of Oylegate down to one lane. Surely this was causing this?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33


    Used the new road road today travelling from Campile to Kilcoole.
    Would have traditionally went New Ross-Enniscorthy etc but today went Wellingtonbridge R733 to meet up with N11.
    5km further but 15 mins quicker and that was keeping motorway speed down to 100kph (I was on fumes)
    Reckon 20-25 mins quicker if I’d been doing 120-130


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭jd


    road_high wrote: »
    But according to AA there’s roadworks just south of Oylegate down to one lane. Surely this was causing this?


    Saw this on FB
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10220244650854852&set=a.2234414988284&type=3&theater
    A number of people have contacted me concerned about traffic build up in Oilgate following the opening of the new Enniscorthy bypass.

    Traffic lights were installed yesterday following representations from residents concerned about the increased level of traffic.

    I have contacted the Roads engineer who has assured me that these lights will be monitored and tweaked in the coming days to get the best possible sequencing.

    I’ll keep people updated as I get more information.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,381 ✭✭✭✭kneemos


    jd wrote: »


    According to the comments the lights were only letting three or four cars by before turning red again.

    Need to put sensors on the thing. That side road is not busy except on school runs.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21


    M11 southbound to J25 + N30 link

    https://youtu.be/p40CDpd4-d0

    Full M11 north + south but lower quality

    https://youtu.be/Jk2CnkbHRo4

    Something weird, the 1km or so closest to Oilgate, 1 lane northbound 100km/h and 2 lanes with no hard shoulder southbound. Broken yellow lines at the side and end of motorway signs where the hard shoulder line breaks southbound. Was this designed with the old Oilgate-Rosslare scheme in mind that the last 1km or so would become redundant?


  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan


    marno21 wrote: »
    M11 southbound to J25 + N30 link

    https://youtu.be/p40CDpd4-d0

    Full M11 north + south but lower quality

    https://youtu.be/Jk2CnkbHRo4

    Something weird, the 1km or so closest to Oilgate, 1 lane northbound 100km/h and 2 lanes with no hard shoulder southbound. Broken yellow lines at the side and end of motorway signs where the hard shoulder line breaks southbound. Was this designed with the old Oilgate-Rosslare scheme in mind that the last 1km or so would become redundant?

    That's what I was thinking, no other logical explanation.


  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan


    marno21 wrote: »
    M11 southbound to J25 + N30 link

    https://youtu.be/p40CDpd4-d0

    Full M11 north + south but lower quality

    https://youtu.be/Jk2CnkbHRo4

    Something weird, the 1km or so closest to Oilgate, 1 lane northbound 100km/h and 2 lanes with no hard shoulder southbound. Broken yellow lines at the side and end of motorway signs where the hard shoulder line breaks southbound. Was this designed with the old Oilgate-Rosslare scheme in mind that the last 1km or so would become redundant?

    That's what I was thinking, no other logical explanation.

    Maybe that way they won't end up with a pointless piece of motorway-standard link road linking the new road to the old, like at Frankfort interchange.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭jd


    marno21 wrote: »

    https://youtu.be/Jk2CnkbHRo4

    Something weird, the 1km or so closest to Oilgate, 1 lane northbound 100km/h and 2 lanes with no hard shoulder southbound. Broken yellow lines at the side and end of motorway signs where the hard shoulder line breaks southbound.
    First thing I noticed was he took the left lane approaching the roundabout, even though going right. Then, probably because of that, the tractor pulled out in front of him..


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    kneemos wrote: »
    According to the comments the lights were only letting three or four cars by before turning red again.

    Need to put sensors on the thing. That side road is not busy except on school runs.

    Spot on, those lights are a joke they look to be weighted towards the side road which is just ridiculous. A small roundabout would have been much better and leave the pedestrian crossing where it was. Amazing that cllr Willie Kavanagh got a nice new front to his pub...


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭jd


    jd wrote: »
    Is there a lay-by on the new section of the M11? What is in the photo above may be closed off when it opens, and for the use of Gardai and for checks etc. There is a service area 20 minutes up the road past Gorey.
    Tying up an earlier point - lay-by will be for Garda use only.
    485726.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    Why is New Ross not sign posted on entering at the Oylegate end? Engineer is on se radio on Monday morning answering questions, hopefully he'll act on some of the points raised.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    Why is New Ross not sign posted on entering at the Oylegate end? Engineer is on se radio on Monday morning answering questions, hopefully he'll act on some of the points raised.

    Traffic heading from Oilgate or further south to New Ross would use the N11 to Wexford (where they would be coming from) and the N25 to New Ross.

    Oilgate-New Ross using the motorway would be quite circuitous.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    marno21 wrote: »
    Traffic heading from Oilgate or further south to New Ross would use the N11 to Wexford (where they would be coming from) and the N25 to New Ross.

    Oilgate-New Ross using the motorway would be quite circuitous.

    Sure by that token cars would be directed back the way they came to the hospital roundabout and proceed to Ross that way... Enter the motorway at Oylegate first sign you see for the next exit, guess what's on it? Yep, New Ross. By their very nature a bypass is a circuitous route. I can't believe you got two thanks for that post, thought I'd strayed into AH...


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Vic_08


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    Sure by that token cars would be directed back the way they came to the hospital roundabout and proceed to Ross that way... Enter the motorway at Oylegate first sign you see for the next exit, guess what's on it? Yep, New Ross. By their very nature a bypass is a circuitous route. I can't believe you got two thanks for that post, thought I'd strayed into AH...

    He has 3 thanks now because it is the correct answer.

    Just because a road is a mosherway or a bypass it doesn't make it the best or correct route.

    New Ross is due East of Oilgate, M11 is North Northwest, it is literally going the wrong direction. From Oilgate N11-N25, Old N11-Enniscorthy-N30 or even using the single track bridge over the Slaney and backroads would be much shorter and quicker than the M11-N30 Link road.

    That vid posted earlier shows a time of 17 minutes from J24 at the start of the new section to the N30-N80 roundabout, the lad that posted it didn't seem to be going that fast but still as I mentioned earlier in the thread it appears that it will be slower than using the old road via Ferns, last trip I made took 14 minutes on that section without going above 100kph.

    For Enniscorthy I would say it will be a few minutes quicker to ignore the signed N30 route and use the R744 link road. It won't be ideal if this route gets busier though as it is a narrow road closer to the town.


  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11


    daraghwal wrote: »
    You can see the real-time traffic info if you select it on Google maps. Shows it back to the roundabout at the moment. Did anyone find the answer to when would it be added to maps?

    Waze is a great navigation app. You can file traffic reports on it such as tailbacks, hazards or speed traps. It will give other Waze alerts as they approach. Owned by Google and the map data is shared between both.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭vickers209


    marno21 wrote: »
    The N11 Ashford/Rathnew bypass was built on the old road for a short distance south of J17, and the decision was taken not to build an R772 for this short distance and use the alternative route via Wicklow instead.

    The R772 was rerouted
    You take a right at the behive go down the wicklow road and onto the new port road and into rathnew.
    if you look at signage most of it was updated along this route to say its the the R772 But for some unknown reason they didnt change the most important one sign an the behive it still states its wicklow R750
    Half assed job again!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey


    Maybe that way they won't end up with a pointless piece of motorway-standard link road linking the new road to the old, like at Frankfort interchange.

    That's the reason alright


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762


    marno21 wrote: »
    M11 southbound to J25 + N30 link

    https://youtu.be/p40CDpd4-d0

    Full M11 north + south but lower quality

    https://youtu.be/Jk2CnkbHRo4

    Something weird, the 1km or so closest to Oilgate, 1 lane northbound 100km/h and 2 lanes with no hard shoulder southbound. Broken yellow lines at the side and end of motorway signs where the hard shoulder line breaks southbound. Was this designed with the old Oilgate-Rosslare scheme in mind that the last 1km or so would become redundant?


    I think this must be the case and take the bypass to the east of Oilgate. If it was west you'd have to start out with a sharp turn unless you want to crash into a hill.


    Interestingly also, the speed limit drops to 100kmh as the hard shoulder disappears southbound. The "end of motorway" signs are there too but by default it has to be motorway right up to the roundabout.


    Odd setup. Technically now we have our very own bit of D1 motorway northbound and some 100kmh motorway without hard shoulder, of the same standard as a 2+2, going southbound for a kilometer.


    The folks over on the UK SABER group would be drooling over an oddity like this!


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762


    This is also interesting.

    https://youtu.be/Jk2CnkbHRo4?t=41

    The sign on this bit northbound is green, which says that this bit is N11, not M11. The M11 sign is only when it goes from D1 to D2.

    This kind of says that the D1 NB and 2+2 SB bit will be redundant in the future, and is supposed to be N11. But it can't be, as the route is inescapable SB and leads inescapably to a motorway NB, so all must be motorway by default.

    And THEN the signage at the roundabout is a mess :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭medoc


    jd wrote: »
    Tying up an earlier point - lay-by will be for Garda use only.


    That’s good. An idiot pulled out slowly in front of a line of cars on the M6 the other day and nearly caused a pile up. I was passing a car and noticed what might be happening and slowed, allowing the car I was passing to pull out into the right hand lane. It needs to be closed/restricted asap.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    Vic_08 wrote: »
    He has 3 thanks now because it is the correct answer.

    Just because a road is a mosherway or a bypass it doesn't make it the best or correct route.

    New Ross is due East of Oilgate, M11 is North Northwest, it is literally going the wrong direction. From Oilgate N11-N25, Old N11-Enniscorthy-N30 or even using the single track bridge over the Slaney and backroads would be much shorter and quicker than the M11-N30 Link road.

    That vid posted earlier shows a time of 17 minutes from J24 at the start of the new section to the N30-N80 roundabout, the lad that posted it didn't seem to be going that fast but still as I mentioned earlier in the thread it appears that it will be slower than using the old road via Ferns, last trip I made took 14 minutes on that section without going above 100kph.

    For Enniscorthy I would say it will be a few minutes quicker to ignore the signed N30 route and use the R744 link road. It won't be ideal if this route gets busier though as it is a narrow road closer to the town.

    Or just put New Ross on the roundabout sign and let the driver decide the next time they do the journey which way is handier, not shorter or how many cc's/ kw of fuel they save. The whole point of a bypass is to make things handier for drivers so they don't have to go orienteering, just follow the signs, oh, and keep vehicles out of the town.


Advertisement