Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] ITG: 141 Farewell and A39 Launch. Who is going?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Also just heard that some of the mothballed 201's may be destined for the Holy Land or nearby....

Surely not??:D
    iarnrod_indo_332103t.jpg
    Iran on track with 'help' of Irish Rail
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/iran-on-track-with-help-of-irish-rail-1767781.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Surely the power of the church hasn't taken control at Inchicore while the boss is away.....?

22.15 - No you were right DW - just heard from the horse's mouth divine intervention at work.

Also just heard that some of the mothballed 201's may be destined for the Holy Land or nearby....
    Wot? Downpatrick? :D:D:D If you mean the other Holy Land, the Israelis are talking about whacking out some cash for rail but no specifics on rolling stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Surely22.15 - No you were right DW - just heard from the horse's mouth divine intervention at work.

I always thought the enthusiast side of things was free from the political aspects in the Inchicore shrine. But it seems that the senior gricers are even more scheming than I could ever be.

"Trainspotters at War":D

With the toys running out of time, competition is fierce and and the turf war is in full flow. Childish and sad are two words that come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dowlingm wrote: »
    Wot? Downpatrick? :D:D:D If you mean the other Holy Land, the Israelis are talking about whacking out some cash for rail but no specifics on rolling stock.

Spot on from what I hear!

And a little bird tells me that GSRPS (Mallow MarkII) may shortly be arriving at Charleville/Rathluric - leave them off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Tescoboat52

Seriously, why would the church be concerned with railway locomotives? I think its a bit too much to say they had an influence in the withdrawl of the 141 class.

• Advertisement

Seriously, why would the church be concerned with railway locomotives? I think its a bit too much to say they had an influence in the withdrawl of the 141 class.

Ah, the innocence of youth! :D

Ah, the innocence of youth! :D

I'm not that young. It just seems a bit silly to say that the church had influence over such a thing.

I'm not that young. It just seems a bit silly to say that the church had influence over such a thing.

You are either trying to tease us out for detailed info or you havent a clue what we are referencing. We are talking about the railtour fiasco, not the general withdrawal of these locos.

I forgive you for both.:D

DWCommuter wrote: »
    You are either trying to tease us out for detailed info or you havent a clue what we are referencing. We are talking about the railtour fiasco, not the general withdrawal of these locos.

I forgive you for both.:D

Thank you for your forgiveness but if you're saying the church wants rail engines withdrawn then no I don't have a clue what you mean. I wouldn't say many do!!! No offence meant though.

And a little bird tells me that GSRPS (Mallow MarkII) may shortly be arriving at Charleville/Rathluric - leave them off!

Well maybe they can actually shoot the Cheese commercial there next time instead of the UK.:D

• Advertisement

Thank you for your forgiveness but if you're saying the church wants rail engines withdrawn then no I don't have a clue what you mean. I wouldn't say many do!!! No offence meant though.

I corrected my original post. I am not talking about the general withdrawal of these locos. Im talking about their withdrawal from this railtour. "Divine intervention" :D appears to be responsible for this tour having its original locos withdrawn.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I corrected my original post. I am not talking about the general withdrawal of these locos. Im talking about their withdrawal from this railtour. "Divine intervention" :D appears to be responsible for this tour having its original locos withdrawn.

Ok so its not the general loco withdrawl, but it doesn't make sense that the Church would withdraw them from a railtour either.

Its strange that I even have to say that!

Ok so its not the general loco withdrawl, but it doesn't make sense that the Church would withdraw them from a railtour either.

Its strange that I even have to say that!

We'll leave it at that. You either "get" the reference or you don't. Regrettably I can't explain it for you. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

although it was clearly out of the hands of the ITG and all concerned with the tour i am still sick to my stomach after hearing that IE have withdrawn the locos from the tour especially after missing out on the last RPSI 141 tour few weeks back.could 144 and maybe another 141 loco have been placed on the tour and replace 144 at the back of connolly for the day with a 071 maybe?it just seems strange that IE would pull out the locos at pretty much the last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

144 could be restricted to shunting and rolling stock transfers between Connolly/NorthWall/Fairview and Inchicore. A good few of the 141s and 181s ended up like that in their last days.

But in saying that it went to Belfast a few weeks ago to collect a Mk3 gen van and bring it back to Inchicore.

Depends how effective, this sudden sickness among all the 141s really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The latest IRRS journal excerpts have been posted - the reason given for 1x1 withdrawal is that they don't have event recorders fitted.

http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20171/171%20Rolling%20Stock.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

dowlingm wrote: »
    The latest IRRS journal excerpts have been posted - the reason given for 1x1 withdrawal is that they don't have event recorders fitted.

That shouldn't be a reason for the cancelling of a once-off railtour. This sudden 141-class sickness is mysterious, perhaps Tricky Dicky has already booked an appointment for them with the scrapman? :rolleyes:

That said this is the most concerning piece of text:
    It is anticipated that there will be a fleet of twenty push-pull fitted 201-class locomotives kept in regular service.

So IE is expecting to dispose of over a dozen modern locomotives which the taxpayer paid handsomely for less than 20 years ago?

Hungerford wrote: »
    That shouldn't be a reason for the cancelling of a once-off railtour. This sudden 141-class sickness is mysterious, perhaps Tricky Dicky has already booked an appointment for them with the scrapman? :rolleyes:

That said this is the most concerning piece of text:
    It is anticipated that there will be a fleet of twenty push-pull fitted 201-class locomotives kept in regular service.

So IE is expecting to dispose of over a dozen modern locomotives which the taxpayer paid handsomely for less than 20 years ago?

See post #31.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

See post #31.

That piece refers to electrification though and the last time I checked the 201-class were diesel-powered. That said, maybe the power of the church can be harnessed to work a miracle. After all, it smited the ITG's railtour.

I'm just back from the tour. Despite the change in motive power it was still a fantastic day... except for that nasty fecker at Mullingar in the morning who locked the gates while we were over on the other platform. Was especially interesting for me as it was my first time on the RPSI set.

• Advertisement

Well, where are all the pics of Dromod the 141 'farewell' tour? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A39 launch went like clockwork, well presentented by the ITG and Downpatrick & Co. Down Railway.

Unlike yesterday's dissapointing "141" presentation by IR, this was an original locomotive and not a counterfeit. :p

Picts uploaded shortly.

A39 launch went like clockwork, well presentented by the ITG and Downpatrick & Co. Down Railway.

Not quite. After the second A39 run, during the run-round in Downpatrick the engine shut down. Turns out it ran out of fuel. I also hear it's down a traction motor but since it can't run anywhere near top speed on the DCDR it's probably not serious. Great day though, the weather made it even better.

Karsini wrote: »
    Not quite. After the second A39 run, during the run-round in Downpatrick the engine shut down. Turns out it ran out of fuel. I also hear it's down a traction motor but since it can't run anywhere near top speed on the DCDR it's probably not serious. Great day though, the weather made it even better.

That suited me fine, gave me 30 minutes go off to Mc Donalds and get a meal without missing anything, by the time I got back it was up and running again. :)

2drw60z.jpg
    33oob51.jpg
    2n7f3au.jpg

Haha! That's me in the second picture, looking inside the cab.

Still no pics of the ITG '141' Farewell tour? Or better still of the ice cream vans at Dromod? I came across this You Tube clip of 156 on a Youghal passenger train pre-1963 closure - I think I've seen it on the Boards before but given the week that's in it. :D

Nice photos.

Nice photos.

Thats with a cam phone.

Few movie ones that need editing / rotation. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSMg-Zi3Bmk&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KYXsWFY_w

Shows what a camera phone can be capable of. Nice to see a good weekend with different railway societies working together.

• Advertisement

Just hit the mother lode here: http://drimnagh-road.webs.com/itgsligo060310.htm

Stills, video footage and tour description - more than you could shake a big stick at. I wonder did anybody think to ask the proprietor of the C&L what happened to all his mates who put the railway together for him? Note the signs on the signal at Dromod platform which bear witness to the shameful carry on! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement