Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] ITG: 141 Farewell and A39 Launch. Who is going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pavee Point Railways?
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

CIE Heritage Department ?? :confused:

The turbulent priest referred to elsewhere in this thread. This is where he can be found - (station)master of all he surveys. :D

28188160.jpg

The wizard of Inchicore is his grey tower

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

What is the Green thing in the middle?

24730_1231328185126_1286778423_30531492_6294331_n.jpg

That's the cab for the rocket train below !!! :D
    dynamick wrote: »
    10,000km/h US Army Rocket Sled
    6C617382075C4CC4AFE4F82AD90615D5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

But seriously what is the Pavee Point Railways thingy? I am Looking at it from the front or side? Isn't the propellor a bit small?

Was it some kind of portakabin for railway workers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

But seriously what is the Pavee Point Railways thingy? I am Looking at it from the front or side? Isn't the propellor a bit small?

They use to be painted yellow and were hand operated. :p

Think I saw it in operation back around 70's - thats the side view - cooling fan for the engine. A track inspection vehicle. Used to move at a reasonable speed too, 30/40 mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

Think I saw it in operation back around 70's - thats the side view - cooling fan for the engine. A track inspection vehicle. Used to move at a reasonable speed too, 30/40 mph.

Dead right, They were based on Caravans, and were just cobbled together.

Both Bord Na Mona, and CIE have used these in the past, and they have a few of the inspection cars, built by CIE, in Downpatrick. They look a bit tougher and bigger than the Bord Na Mona one in the photograph.

Am I the only one who thinks that they bear uncanny resemblance to the New Railcar Fleet of 22K's??.....

GM071class wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that they bear uncanny resemblance to the New Railcar Fleet of 22K's??.....

Maybe stretching it a bit far there

Dead right, They were based on Caravans, and were just cobbled together.

Both Bord Na Mona, and CIE have used these in the past, and they have a few of the inspection cars, built by CIE, in Downpatrick. They look a bit tougher and bigger than the Bord Na Mona one in the photograph.

Not quite true, the ones at Dromod are indeed homemade (by Bord na Mona) but the standard gauge ones at Downpatrick were built by Wickham of Ware, UK, a long time builder of light weight rail vehicles in many different gauges. More info below.

http://www.inpressbooks.co.uk/wickham_of_ware_the_history_of_d_wickham_co_ltd_railcar_manufacturers_james_jnr_cooper_james_jnr_cooper_loxley_ford_i018211.aspx

• Advertisement

Not quite true, the ones at Dromod are indeed homemade (by Bord na Mona) but the standard gauge ones at Downpatrick were built by Wickham of Ware, UK, a long time builder of light weight rail vehicles in many different gauges. More info below.

http://www.inpressbooks.co.uk/wickham_of_ware_the_history_of_d_wickham_co_ltd_railcar_manufacturers_james_jnr_cooper_james_jnr_cooper_loxley_ford_i018211.aspx

I Recall seeing one in a book at some stage that was built by CIE. But It may have been a one off tester...

I'll keep an eye out for a picture of it,

I Recall seeing one in a book at some stage that was built by CIE. But It may have been a one off tester...

I'll keep an eye out for a picture of it,

Even the nordies in their limited stock guide acknowledge Wickhams' as the builders: http://www.downrail.co.uk/locos.htm#wickham
    1956_42384i.jpg

There is another one off inspection car operating on CIE/IE - built by Hugh Phillips Engineering Ltd., in Wales - and it carries the name "Jess" which it was supplied with! Curiously Hugh Phillips Engineering also went bust while dealing with CIE - the Midas touch once again. :D

october2004-2.jpg
    This pic of Jess from the West on Track website. Ironic as it will probably be more than adequate for any traffic offering on the reopened WRC.

There is another one off inspection car operating on CIE/IE - built by Hugh Phillips Engineering Ltd., in Wales - and it carries the name "Jess" which it was supplied with! Curiously Hugh Phillips Engineering also went bust while dealing with CIE - the Midas touch once again. :D

october2004-2.jpg
    This pic of Jess from the West on Track website. Ironic as it will probably be more than adequate for any traffic offering on the reopened WRC.

That'll be more than adequate..

I tell you what, I'll get my hammers, some old bogies, a few lawn-mowers, and I'll meet you outside Caravan Sales in Ennis...

We'll make the perfect vehicles for Iarnród Éireann on the WRC...... 2 seat jobbies.. We'll tell them they were built in korea.. The CME loves that!

Now where'd I leave my hammers!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

That'll be more than adequate..

I tell you what, I'll get my hammers, some old bogies, a few lawn-mowers, and I'll meet you outside Caravan Sales in Ennis...

We'll make the perfect vehicles for Iarnród Éireann on the WRC...... 2 seat jobbies.. We'll tell them they were built in korea.. The CME loves that!

Now where'd I leave my hammers!!:confused:

I reckon this'll do.:D:D

DSC05938.JPG

lord lucan wrote: »
    I reckon this'll do.:D:D

DSC05938.JPG

Feck it, I really want one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

october2004-2.jpg

i could be wrong but that looks like 722 whereas i thought Jess was 721?

http://railsceneireland.fotopic.net/p47242696.html

i could be highly mistaken though?

Rud wrote: »
    i could be wrong but that looks like 722 whereas i thought Jess was 721?

http://railsceneireland.fotopic.net/p47242696.html

i could be highly mistaken though?

You are indeed correct - sorry - it is a Matisa inspection car built in 1994 not Jess. I am a 'reformed' railway enthusiast so not up to speed on some of the minutiae. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Mostly a lurker from a different part of boards ...

but I thought this would fit in with the conversation (if not the topic).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4qttp6nDts

Stonewolf - I like it, and the video would suit many C+T threads! These vehicles would be ideal for the WRC and they way CIE/IE are operating are what we will all be reduced to using outside the Pale in a few decades. :D

• Advertisement

Stonewolf wrote: »

Good solution for the Rosslare Warerford line. :)

The trainspotters amongst you may be interested to know that "Jess" referred to earlier, and which had recently been lying in Enniscorthy station, has gone probably forever according to my source. A truck and crane loaded it for the UK earlier this week and off it went - very mysterious - of course it could turn up at Moyasta. :D

The trainspotters amongst you may be interested to know that "Jess" referred to earlier, and which had recently been lying in Enniscorthy station, has gone probably forever according to my source. A truck and crane loaded it for the UK earlier this week and off it went - very mysterious - of course it could turn up at Moyasta. :D

It had a severe engine failure, might be going over to be repaired or maybe has been withdrawn?

Karsini wrote: »
    It had a severe engine failure, might be going over to be repaired or maybe has been withdrawn?

There can't be too much involved to repairing what ever is wrong with that thing, the motor and drive train is probably standard.

Karsini wrote: »

I find it hard to believe that Inchicore, run down and all as it is, couldn't repair a yoke like that! The manufacturer went bust years ago so it hasn't gone back there.

I find it hard to believe that Inchicore, run down and all as it is, couldn't repair a yoke like that! The manufacturer went bust years ago so it hasn't gone back there.
    When you consider what was built there in the past its a disgrace, I doubt if they could even assemble a wheelbarrow today.

Stonewolf wrote: »

Reminds me of the NIR railbus up in Downpatrick...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just thought i'd throw a couple of pics up of todays RPSI Easter train. They were taken just east of Leixlip Louisa Bridge this afternoon. Not the greatest weather for photography it has to be said.

P1010515.jpg

P1010520.jpg

P1010526.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Lovely pics!

• Advertisement

Appreciate the photos - great location for taking photos too - got the following info courtesy of the RPSI website :)

LOCO DETAILS
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Class: J15[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Wheels: 0-6-0[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Company: Great Southern & Western Railway[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Designer: McDonnell[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Builder: Sharp, Stewart & Co., Atlas Works, Manchester[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Dates: 1879 (withdrawn 1964)[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Boiler: Z[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Boiler Diameter: 5’13/4”[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Cylinders: 18” X 24”[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Tractive Effort (lbs.): 17,170[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Total Weight (tons): 37.65[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+0]Axle load (tons) 13.00[/SIZE][/FONT]

(The majority of J15's were actually built in Inchicore)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement