Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] ITG: 141 Farewell and A39 Launch. Who is going?

Options
  • 04-03-2010 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Irish Traction Society are having a double run this weekend, the first on Saturday 6th 141 Class Farewell Rail tour" and "The A39 Launch" on Sunday 7th, Whose going?

I won't make the Saturday run but will hopefully find my way up to the A39 Launch at Downpatrick on Sumday.

282wld.jpg

Dose anyone know what locos they are using for the 141 class run? I gather they won't be getting those two recently restored locos from the RPSI. :p

http://www.irishtractiongroup.com/next_railtour.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I heard that the ITG got dibs on 146 after its withdrawn, don't know how true that is but it could be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Life's too short but whoever's going don't forget I'll be expecting plenty of Dromod pics here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Life's too short but whoever's going don't forget I'll be expecting plenty of Dromod pics here. :D

SonyEricsson W995 8.2mp cam. :p

I'm going to both. Never received my tickets but I phoned the ITG who confirmed they did send them so they said to turn up anyway. Hope I'm let through. :( I've got a 12.1 MP Sony DSC-W200, will most likely be bringing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I imagine they'll get whatever 141's IE will sign off as safe, after the last few weeks issues. 146 is a good bet.

• Advertisement

Is poor old 175 still about? I had her on the North Kerry weedsprayer in 198x (?) and she is seen below approaching Tralee (Edward St. LC) from the North Kerry yard.

scan02small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Looks like an 071 is working tomorrows tour lads.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Looks like an 071 is working tomorrows tour lads.

That's par for the course I suppose, better than a 2600 class railcar at least. :D

That's par for the course I suppose, better than a 2600 class railcar at least. :D

Very true.:)

Apparently it was only a late decision this afternoon. I can only assume IE weren't happy to let the baby GM's back out on the network.

Is poor old 175 still about?

It was brought into Inchicore on Monday along with 146,152 and 177. They are still all there as far as I know. What happens to them now is anyones guess.

• Advertisement

Very true.:)

Apparently it was only a late decision this afternoon. I can only assume IE weren't happy to let the baby GM's back out on the network.

144 is still hanging in there as the Connolly and North Wall pilot loco and it did a DART transfer during the week. Bringing the long lost LHB set 81/8333 back home to Fairview.

How come the RPSI pair can't be used again or would that be stretching the imagination too much? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

There's more to this withdrawal of preferred locos than you realise.;)

How come the RPSI pair can't be used again or would that be stretching the imagination too much? :confused:

As such they're the RPSI's property,i assume the ITG wanted to do the tour with the last working IE 141's including the one they're 'taking'. I'd say it's too late anyways to ask and you'd also have a near replica of the RPSI's tour which wouldn't have drawn many punters in who had been on that one.

B141 has actually been used by IE since the RPSI tour. It was used on a North Wall to Inchicore wagon transfer with at least 1 tara wagon and one or two other types. Just goes to show you really.

DWCommuter wrote: »

Are you suggesting that the hand of God may be involved? :D

B141 has actually been used by IE since the RPSI tour. It was used on a North Wall to Inchicore wagon transfer with at least 1 tara wagon and one or two other types. Just goes to show you really.

Didn't know that,you really do learn something new every day.:)

I understood it to be that both locos had passed into RPSI ownership and were due to head to Whitehead shortly.

Yeah, it was like last year when 141 was handed over and the Malahide viaduct failed, IE kept 141 going with a bit of work. It must be in good nick so.

Are you suggesting that the hand of God may be involved? :D

Would I?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Tescoboat52

What do you mean? It said somewhere on the web it was to do with a problem with 152's brakes or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

What do you mean? It said somewhere on the web it was to do with a problem with 152's brakes or something.
    Yep, there were brake problems with some of the remaining BoBo's. Recently, there was a spad or two, and apparently CME top brass were not prepared to take any risks in case there were repeats. As unfortunate as it is, this decision is entirely correct under the circumstances.

Believe what you want. Im sure the real story will explode sooner or later. At this moment in time, its not for me to divulge in detail. But its not a technical issue.

Believe what you want. Im sure the real story will explode sooner or later. At this moment in time, its not for me to divulge in detail. But its not a technical issue.

They're orange and black,don't fit in with the new shiny IE image!!:p

They're orange and black,don't fit in with the new shiny IE image!!:p

Well they are 40+ years old I suppose. I suppose it makes sense if they have enough 071s to do work.

Is there really another reason for the withdrawl?

Is there really another reason for the withdrawl?

I have been told on good authority that there is and Im genuinely not trying to start any kind of conspiracy theories.

I just received a phone call from the ITG regarding the tour. 146 and 171 were being prepped for the tour but the CME decided not to release them. So it is indeed going to be 071 hauled.

I have been told on good authority that there is and Im genuinely not trying to start any kind of conspiracy theories.

Ok. Its just sometimes when you see an omnious statement such as there being another reason for something you wonder if it was true wouldn't they say what it was. But you seem genuine about it though so ok. Anyway surely old locos would be withdrawn sooner or later. The A class were withdrawn at 40 when the new 201 type came in. So it makes sense that the 141 type would be withdrawn with all 22000 and spare 071 type around.

Karsini wrote: »
    I just received a phone call from the ITG regarding the tour. 146 and 171 were being prepped for the tour but the CME decided not to release them. So it is indeed going to be 071 hauled.

And the CME isn't even in the country at the moment.

• Advertisement

Surely the power of the church hasn't taken control at Inchicore while the boss is away.....?

22.15 - No you were right DW - just heard from the horse's mouth divine intervention at work.

Also just heard that some of the mothballed 201's may be destined for the Holy Land or nearby....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement