Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] ITG: 141 Farewell and A39 Launch. Who is going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Just hit the mother lode here: http://drimnagh-road.webs.com/itgsligo060310.htm

Stills, video footage and tour description - more than you could shake a big stick at. I wonder did anybody think to ask the proprietor of the C&L what happened to all his mates who put the railway together for him? Note the signs on the signal at Domod platform which bear witness to the shameful carry on! :D

i was only on that website this evening.really great job done on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

I actually feature in one of those video's, on the little Red Hunslet!

Anyway, I stuck up a few photo's from the weekend, check them out here:
    http://irishmotivepower.fotopic.net/c1820540.html (Dublin to Sligo)

http://irishmotivepower.fotopic.net/c1822801.html (Dromod Narrow Gauge)

http://irishmotivepower.fotopic.net/c1822809.html (A39's Launch)

Was a great weekend, Full of my favorite locomotives, Both the 071's, and of course the wonderful A39.

Regards,
    Matt,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The bakery van was donated to the C&L by a friend of mine more than ten years ago - nice to see it so well turned out. I could go on but won't! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

GM071class wrote: »
    I actually feature in one of those video's, on the little Red Hunslet!

Anyway, I stuck up a few photo's from the weekend, check them out here:
    http://irishmotivepower.fotopic.net/c1820540.html (Dublin to Sligo)

http://irishmotivepower.fotopic.net/c1822801.html (Dromod Narrow Gauge)

http://irishmotivepower.fotopic.net/c1822809.html (A39's Launch)

Was a great weekend, Full of my favorite locomotives, Both the 071's, and of course the wonderful A39.

Regards,
    Matt,

Great pics,thanks for posting!:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Great pics,thanks for posting!:)

No bother, Glad you liked them!

I have to admit to being very impressed with the whole weekend. I really enjoyed the trip to the Narrow Gauge Railway and the Museum in Dromod.
    And of course the Fact it was an 071 class to drag us there helped alot.:)

Judgment Day, On the note of the Bread van, I really liked the little Van.
    Something with real potential for a running vehicle, had a look inside, seemed pretty much in tact and complete. Just needs alot of TLC!

Oh and some WD40!

Cheers,
    Matt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The bakery van was donated to the C&L by a friend of mine more than ten years ago - nice to see it so well turned out. I could go on but won't! :rolleyes:

Looks like sheet aluminium panels on a timber frame, (Caravan construction) pity to see it outside in the elements.

Looks like sheet aluminium panels on a timber frame, (Caravan construction) pity to see it outside in the elements.

Its the kind of thing that could be restored in a resonable space of time, and with the size of it in a small enough area too!

I think the only bit where you'd run into trouble is the engine, that said its probably a small 2-stroke from a bike, and the body (as mentioned) is only nailed and riveted on, over a timber frame.

GM071class wrote: »
    Its the kind of thing that could be restored in a resonable space of time, and with the size of it in a small enough area too!

I think the only bit where you'd run into trouble is the engine, that said its probably a small 2-stroke from a bike, and the body (as mentioned) is only nailed and riveted on, over a timber frame.

These were all battery powered run on a heap of lead acid cells tucked in under the bulkhead. There should be no problems getting this end of it sorted out as battery and motor technology has improved greatly since the 1960ies.

These were all battery powered run on a heap of lead acid cells tucked in under the bulkhead. There should be no problems getting this end of it sorted out as battery and motor technology has improved greatly since the 1960ies.

You could, with modern batteries, and a new higher torque motor, make it into the fastest 1960's bakers van in the world! I'll get on to Guinness world records later on...:D

It'd be a lovely addition to a classic motor show!
    I'm almost supprised its old owner (J.M. & O'Brien) hasn't showed interest in it. Could be great for free advertisement!

Redards,
    Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭dowlingm

dowlingm wrote: »
    Wot? Downpatrick? :D:D:D If you mean the other Holy Land, the Israelis are talking about whacking out some cash for rail but no specifics on rolling stock.
    Spot on from what I hear!

And a little bird tells me that GSRPS (Mallow MarkII) may shortly be arriving at Charleville/Rathluric - leave them off!

A few more specifics:
    * Israel Railways are adding to their 160km/h push-pull fleet of Siemens Viaggio Lights - consists would be formed from DVGT+27 seats, 82 seat trailers plus one wheelchair accessible 82 seat car, locomotive.
    * Israel Railways use EMD 645s (Gx Export Series) and EMD 710 (Alstom Prima) locos at the moment according to wiki.

Certainly sounds like a deal could be done - very like a 201+Mark 4 setup, if the nonPP 201s were PPed as part of the refit to 1435mm and Israeli safety gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Karsini wrote: »
    Not quite. After the second A39 run, during the run-round in Downpatrick the engine shut down. Turns out it ran out of fuel. I also hear it's down a traction motor but since it can't run anywhere near top speed on the DCDR it's probably not serious. Great day though, the weather made it even better.

Hi, Just curious about the Downpatrick set up. I've had a look at their website to find out how long the track is - out to the Abbey. Any of you know ? Looks like an impressive set up, standard gauge as well.

Also thanks for the ITG pics and all the info !!!

Hi, Just curious about the Downpatrick set up. I've had a look at their website to find out how long the track is - out to the Abbey. Any of you know ? Looks like an impressive set up, standard gauge as well.

Its about two miles the other line past Ballydugan will be longer when the extension is complete. Lets hope Moyasta can match this. :)

I think they said it was about two miles. There's two lines, the section from Downpatrick to Inch Abbey is the one used most often. 25mph max speed.

Here's my photos from the day in Downpatrick. I'm not the best at photography but I give it a go:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032226&id=1286778423&l=9d11be6a61

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I wonder did anybody think to ask the proprietor of the C&L what happened to all his mates who put the railway together for him?

Didn't one of them run away to the Isle of Man for some unknown reason?

Its about two miles the other line past Ballydugan will be longer when the extension is complete. Lets hope Moyasta can match this. :)

I think they said it was about two miles. There's two lines, the section from Downpatrick to Inch Abbey is the one used most often. 25mph max speed.

Thanks Karsini and Run_to_de_hills for the photos and the info - much appreciated. Their web says they are the only standard gauge heritage railway in Ireland, my hope is that it is the FIRST of MANY !!! The Future is in Nostagia !!!

Thanks for the photos and the info - much appreciated. Their web says they are the only standard gauge heritage railway in Ireland, my hope is that it is the FIRST of MANY !!! The Future is in Nostagia !!!

There is a group who are hoping to establish a 5'3" railway in the Republic:

http://www.heritagerailway.ie/

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Didn't one of them run away to the Isle of Man for some unknown reason?

I see you're back talking through your hat again - can't keep out of things that you know nothing about can you? Maybe the fellow who ran off to the Isle of Man is the same one who received €5,000 for his 25% share in the C&L ten years after leaving? That's a pretty poor return on his life savings, house and much more besides which were invested in the project. Incidentally, when the aforementioned individual ran away to the Isle of Man he left behind him an operational, steam operated tourist railway attraction - what's at Dromod now? :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Here's my photos from the day in Downpatrick. I'm not the best at photography but I give it a go:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032226&id=1286778423&l=9d11be6a61

they are some great pictures man

Sadly this is just another very small group of dreamers - about 25 years too late - and they meet in the Oslo Bar in Connolly every month to fantasise about building a standard gauge railway in the Republic. It will never happen - remember where you heard it first.

Rud wrote: »
    they are some great pictures man

In that case, here's the ones from Saturday. :)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032213&id=1286778423&l=59ef3063b2

• Advertisement

I see you're back talking through your hat again - can't keep out of things that you know nothing about can you? Maybe the fellow who ran off to the Isle of Man is the same one who received €5,000 for his 25% share in the C&L ten years after leaving? That's a pretty poor return on his life savings, house and much more besides which were invested in the project.

Sure I only know what I've been told; perhaps you can fill in the rest of the story if you know more;)
    Incidentally, when the aforementioned individual ran away to the Isle of Man he left behind him an operational, steam operated tourist railway attraction - what s at Dromod now? :pac::pac::pac:

Perhaps they "ran" out of money when he "ran away":D

As regards some of the stock at Downpatrick. I wonder who was responsible for originally preserving G617, G611, MGWR 6 wheelers Nos.25 and 53, Sligo, Leitrim & Northern Counties Railcar B, and one of the Wickham inspection cars? You certainly won't find the info on the Downpatrick & County Down Railway website. Credit where credit is due but that's not the Nordie way. :(

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Sure I only know what I've been told; perhaps you can fill in the rest of the story if you know more;)

Perhaps they "ran" out of money when he "ran away":D

Right, I get it he must have run away with ALL the money that they were making in Dromod. Did the proprietor tell you that (as he did to anybody who would listen) or are you working on 5th hand information? :D

Yea, one of the recent RPSI bulletins had the latest info on this group. Seems that they have boiled the list of possibilities down to two track sites. Until they have more definite information, presumably after talking to landowners, we won't hear any more. IMO to get that sort of project moving you need a 'Pete Waterman'. :confused:

Right, I get it he must have run away with ALL the money that they were making in Dromod. Did the proprietor tell you that (as he did to anybody who would listen) or are you working on 5th hand information? :D

Do you know the proprietor? What's his name? Maybe we should get him on here and you two can swap stories; I'd say you would both get on very well:)

You can find him over on IRN but as he is barely literate it's probably not worth your while. Why not pop down and see him yourself, I'm sure that he will be able to replenish your stock of tall tales? Anyway enough of this before we get the thread locked! :D

What I find bizarre is how you feel so hot headed about preservation especially Dromod and how you talk of somebody hard done by yet you won't tell us more. Odd, it is as if you have something to hide here.

Sadly this is just another very small group of dreamers - about 25 years too late - and they meet in the Oslo Bar in Connolly every month to fantasise about building a standard gauge railway in the Republic. It will never happen - remember where you heard it first.
    Whats this then. as seen as it will probably rarely be used :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

A couple of meeting and cups of tea in the Oslo Bar since 2008.

Yep, that's an Irish railway group alright. CIE Heritage Department must be ****ting themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

What is the Green thing in the middle? Pavee Point Railways?

24730_1231328185126_1286778423_30531492_6294331_n.jpg

• Advertisement

CIE Heritage Department must be ****ting themselves.
    CIE Heritage Department ?? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement