Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Colemania wrote: »
    Scoreboard showed about 59 minutes 45 seconds but the actual time was 61 minutes. No added time was shown and the ref blew the whistle. He also thought it was a draw but he forgot how to count it seems....

He was an absolute shambles anyway. Some shocking decisions throughout the game in favour of Na Piarsigh. Better team probably won on the day but the well didn't help themselves with all the wides. Awful to see most of the Na Piarsigh "fans" leave as soon as the final whistle went.

Can't say I noticed Ronan Lynch much in the game. Downes was very dangerous and Foley should have been switched off him early on. Byrnes didn't have the best of days. Improved in the second half though. The 3 O'Briens were dangerous alright.

Too much space given to Na Piarsigh all game and in fairness they took any chance they got. The Well will be back again and can say that they've been the second best team in the county this year.

Bit of a chip on your shoulder there. What shocking decisions favoured Na P? The mix up at the end didn't look good for the ref. It was a poorly attended final, I'm sure most neutrals would have supported the well. But there were plenty of Na P fans on the pitch and around for the presentation.

6 is not Lynch's best or favoured position, he was relatively quiet today, but that won't stop some repeating it I suppose.

Downes once again showed he is certainly one of the best forwards in the county. Peter Casey is class.

The well are a super young team and will be quality for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Scoreboard showed about 59 minutes 45 seconds but the actual time was 61 minutes. No added time was shown and the ref blew the whistle. He also thought it was a draw but he forgot how to count it seems....

He was an absolute shambles anyway. Some shocking decisions throughout the game in favour of Na Piarsigh. Better team probably won on the day but the well didn't help themselves with all the wides. Awful to see most of the Na Piarsigh "fans" leave as soon as the final whistle went.

Can't say I noticed Ronan Lynch much in the game. Downes was very dangerous and Foley should have been switched off him early on. Byrnes didn't have the best of days. Improved in the second half though. The 3 O'Briens were dangerous alright.

Too much space given to Na Piarsigh all game and in fairness they took any chance they got. The Well will be back again and can say that they've been the second best team in the county this year.

whatever about ronan lynch limericks best too prospects were on show today , peter casey scored two fantastic points had an absolute stormer for na piarsaigh wheres the best hurler in limerick and soon to be one of the best hurlers in the country is going home tonight empty handed , diarmuid byrnes is without doubt yer biggest prospect from the last few years underage set ups a fantastic hurler scored 2-2 from center back again today , should have got far more game time for the limerick senior hurlers over the championship this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

No different from any of the inner city clubs really.Same with Claughaun when they won several football titles in the 90s. They dont attract the mass hysteria that you'd get with non city based clubs.

Doesnt mean their players dont work as hard as others do and I'm pleased for Kevin Downes as he's had an awful time of it with injuries.

At least it seemed like a good final which is rare in Limerick.The 1996 draw stands way above anyone I can remember.

Thought the well might have won it but still a lot of youth in the side so might take another year or 2 before they get over the line.Its encouraging that the 2 horse race scenario in the last decade seems to have been broken.If Doon get their act together it could be tasty in the years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Bit of a chip on your shoulder there. What shocking decisions favoured Na P? The mix up at the end didn't look good for the ref. It was a poorly attended final, I'm sure most neutrals would have supported the well. But there were plenty of Na P fans on the pitch and around for the presentation.

6 is not Lynch's best or favoured position, he was relatively quiet today, but that won't stop some repeating it I suppose.

Downes once again showed he is certainly one of the best forwards in the county. Peter Casey is class.

Lynch hasn't consistently performed in the forwards imo in big games but today was solid but will grow at centre back
    Fair enough you have a preference for playing half back in the half forward line as seen by you wanting Paddy loughlin outstanding talent at kilmallock as a defender as a forward and your wanting o mahony as centre forward despite yet you fail to see was dominated in the all ireland club final
    Lynch could be good forward on a day but there's simply much better natural forward in limerick and lynch in time could be an outstanding centre back or deep midfielder
    Centre back he needs time to grow in the role
    He was not great at full forward for Limerick minor or over all for the under twenty one but could be one of the greatest centre back
    Just my opinion of course
    You would be correct about Downes but unfortunately limerick management never knew how to get the best from him
    That may change with Cahill now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Ah come on, even the Na piarsigh fans in front and behind us said countless times during the game he was an awful ref. Twice Cian Lynch was penalised softly for challenging in the air, then Na P come up the other end of the field and do the same thing twice with everyone roaring for a free and he plays on and gives Na P a free on the 21 for guess what......the exact same challenge put in seconds before by their own players. He was clueless, couldn't keep up with play at all.

Yesterday just wasn't our time. About 6 of that team if not 7 weren't starters last year which just shows how much we've come on this year. The team will be built around that half back line, Kelliher and the other 2 O'Briens for the next 5 years or so, with the oldest of that lot being 26. Murray still showing his class in goals too should I mention. Should keep going for the next 5 years also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭lim4ev

My take on the game was it was of a very good standard which I expected considering the players on view I went expecting Nap to win but also thinking the well could win it.The first half was excellent with some great scores and I thought the second half would be better but it wasn't,it was close and exciting but I felt the well went too defensive when they went 4-5 pts up.Nap overall should have scored 3 more goals but for excellent saves by Murray yet still it was there for the well as they seemed to be able to get goals easier than Nap.
    I thought the ref was ok I didn't think he favoured either and some might think he gave Nap soft frees but for me nearly every time the ball came near Downes he was pulled and dragged and got special treatment from the well full back line.
    R lynch on the wing in the first half was skinned a few times which led to goals though he did ok in second half.The game kind of passed Byrnes by but of course he contributed a lot when on the ball and he's going to be a big player for limk in the next few yrs.
    The impish P casey was his usual self and is one of the best forwards in the county at the moment what do the Limerick management do with him now do they call him up as there's no doubt he's a great prospect but is very young i'd be leaving him play u21 for the next yr definetly if not 2 then bring him in but can see where people are coming from when they say bring him in now.

I've no doubt the wells time will come and as another poster said with the 2 yesterday plus Kilmallock and Doon there could be some good games in the next few yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

lim4ev wrote: »
    My take on the game was it was of a very good standard which I expected considering the players on view I went expecting Nap to win but also thinking the well could win it.The first half was excellent with some great scores and I thought the second half would be better but it wasn't,it was close and exciting but I felt the well went too defensive when they went 4-5 pts up.Nap overall should have scored 3 more goals but for excellent saves by Murray yet still it was there for the well as they seemed to be able to get goals easier than Nap.
    I thought the ref was ok I didn't think he favoured either and some might think he gave Nap soft frees but for me nearly every time the ball came near Downes he was pulled and dragged and got special treatment from the well full back line.
    R lynch on the wing in the first half was skinned a few times which led to goals though he did ok in second half.The game kind of passed Byrnes by but of course he contributed a lot when on the ball and he's going to be a big player for limk in the next few yrs.
    The impish P casey was his usual self and is one of the best forwards in the county at the moment what do the Limerick management do with him now do they call him up as there's no doubt he's a great prospect but is very young i'd be leaving him play u21 for the next yr definetly if not 2 then bring him in but can see where people are coming from when they say bring him in now.

I've no doubt the wells time will come and as another poster said with the 2 yesterday plus Kilmallock and Doon there could be some good games in the next few yrs

Watched it on the box so hard to get a proper perspective

Thought Barry Foley very poor but imsuppose credit to him for still playing senior at his age
    Was disappointed the 2 young Lynchs werent in the game more but sometimes a match can pass you by - Cian Lynch has incredible skill but id say playing around him is tricky as yiu never know what he might conjure up
    Sometimes maybe the simpler stuff is more effective - at one stage under pressure yest he dropped the ball and kicked it back into his own hand with 2 or 3 piarsiagh lads around him - unbelievable
    He is surely a big talent going forward - its great to see these young hurlers emerging
    Tough on Well to lose by a point esp with the commotion caused by the ref but maybe next year for them.
    Been a long year for the Glen in Cork after their defeat to Sars last year but they got their reward yest

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

One of the more entertaining county finals I've been to, both full-back lines were in trouble for long stretches of the game. Patrickswell struggled to get Cian Lynch and Diarmuid Byrnes into the game, NaP seemed to play David Dempsey on Byrnes but with the intention of pulling Dempsey out midfield receiving short passes from defence, doing this they were able to play around Byrnes. Thought the two midfielders, Alan Dempsey & William O'Donoghue were excellent, I couldn't understand why the Well didn't bring Cian Lynch further out the field to counteract NaP in this area as he was always tightly marked, had some harsh frees given against him in the second half.

Two penalties in quick succession early in the second half put the Well in the driving seat (both superbly put away by Byrnes) but they seemed to withdraw out the field after that, plus NaP fixed their own problems here by putting King full-back and Ronan Lynch moved into centre-back. They also went back to more direct ball into Downes and when he is on that kind of form he is unplayable, early in the first half he got a trademark, over-the-shoulder, going away from goals point and when those go over you know he will do damage. 1-5 from play, won 2-3 handy frees as well when NaP needed them in the second half and tested Murray a couple of times also. Peter Casey beside him was like a terrier against the 'well backs and finished up with 0-3 for himself as well.

Ah come on, even the Na piarsigh fans in front and behind us said countless times during the game he was an awful ref. Twice Cian Lynch was penalised softly for challenging in the air, then Na P come up the other end of the field and do the same thing twice with everyone roaring for a free and he plays on and gives Na P a free on the 21 for guess what......the exact same challenge put in seconds before by their own players. He was clueless, couldn't keep up with play at all.

Yesterday just wasn't our time. About 6 of that team if not 7 weren't starters last year which just shows how much we've come on this year. The team will be built around that half back line, Kelliher and the other 2 O'Briens for the next 5 years or so, with the oldest of that lot being 26. Murray still showing his class in goals too should I mention. Should keep going for the next 5 years also

He was inconsistent alright. I didn't think he had such an impact as to affect the outcome of the game though. But I suppose in such a close game every call comes into scrutiny afterwards.

Totally agree on the Well. Fantastic new team after being built and they will be a top team for years to come. Byrnes and Lynch will be key players for limerick for the best part of a decade, I think Ronan Lynch will have be a top player for too, and I think Peter Casey is going to be in that level of company. Some of his dispossession a of bigger stronger players in possession of the ball yesterday were incredibly impressive. Cian Lynch's toe to hand that someone already mentioned was outrageous.

From a Limerick perspective it's very positive to see that kind of talent on display in the county final.

He was inconsistent alright. I didn't think he had such an impact as to affect the outcome of the game though. But I suppose in such a close game every call comes into scrutiny afterwards.

Totally agree on the Well. Fantastic new team after being built and they will be a top team for years to come. Byrnes and Lynch will be key players for limerick for the best part of a decade, I think Ronan Lynch will have be a top player for too, and I think Peter Casey is going to be in that level of company. Some of his dispossession a of bigger stronger players in possession of the ball yesterday were incredibly impressive. Cian Lynch's toe to hand that someone already mentioned was outrageous.

From a Limerick perspective it's very positive to see that kind of talent on display in the county final.
    As you know I'm consistently huge huge believer in limerick always had hurling talent and yesterday was just confirmation but it's means nothing absoultey nothing if top top management aren't in place

Concerns remain if Cahill is an all ireland winner coach inter county however I do think he'll give limerick chance being better than last year
    I would also expect some limerick regular players to be dropped from the panel as have no doubt he's in to young blood and he knows keeping same last year won't change a thing

Like other poster said lynch when moved to centre back had fine game
    Just out of interest how do you rate the appointment of Cahill as you normally so confident in Ryan and he's new three year term you haven't said your views on Cahill
    I would please like to know your views now

• Advertisement

Castletroy & Flannans first into fray for Harty today

Love a report if anyone at it

Beautiful day for hurling I hope its a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

N20 wrote: »
    Castletroy & Flannans first into fray for Harty today

Love a report if anyone at it

Beautiful day for hurling I hope its a good game

Castletroy won 1-18 to 1-08, wasn't at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

That county final recorded?

Pandiani wrote: »
    Castletroy won 1-18 to 1-08, wasn't at it.

Wasn't at it but was talking to a fella that was on the phone now and he said they should have won by more, we're the better team with a few goal chances.
    Colum caroll ahane got the goal with mark o dwyer who has played in intermediate championship for Limerick this year at club with monaleen was meant to be good as was Kennedy from murrohe and nicholas also.
    Good start for Castletroy but ard scoil will be serious team again this year with hoinhan, boylan, Sean hogan, and caroll and of course from sunday county final Peter Casey is still harty cup level and having played in county senior final and minors all ireland final he is really going to be imo unbelievable at harty cup this year
    Hamilton who have played ard scoil almost every year in recent times have a huge ask tomorrow to not only stop casey but indeed all the ard scoil team as apparently there extremely strong and have put under the excellent niall moran huge work in to this year.

Darragh caroll who played the sweeper well for Limerick minor, Brian Ryan limerick minor, Peter Casey who i already mentioned and Fitzgerald and Moriarty from clare could be key players with fox from clare also on the panel
    The only problem ard scoil have is picking the right 15 as they have huge talent on that panel
    They have a lot from the dean Ryan cup final two years ago that they lost an epic final closely to a brilliant midelton cbs team so they will be extremely strong this year and stronger than last year
    They have a good few limerick development hurlers and a few from clare also

TTm

Would i be correct in saying Ard scoil were missing P casey for that Dean ryan final with his finger injury?Can someone put up the fixtures and venues i may be able to go to one of these matches.

TTm

Would i be correct in saying Ard scoil were missing P casey for that Dean ryan final with his finger injury?Can someone put up the fixtures and venues i may be able to go to one of these matches.

Thats correct

He got injured playing Templemore that year in a fractious game and missed final

I dont think ASR had Brian Ryan then either but i coukd be wrong - perhaps he got a free transfer

From Munster GAA

Wednesday 14th October
    Corn an Artaigh (18.5 A Hurling) at 1:30pm
    Ardscoil Ris V Ham HS Bandon in Mallow – Referee: Joe Larkin
    St Francis Col Rochestown V Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG in Mayfield – Referee: Diarmuid Kirwan
    Thurles CBS V St Colmans Fermoy in Clonmel – Referee: Willie Barrett
    DLS Waterford V Blackwater CS in Fraher Field – Referee: Thomas Walsh
    Charleville CBS V Our Lady’s Templemore in Claughaun – Referee: Richard Moloney
    Nenagh CBS V SNTN Doon in Newport – Referee: Kevin Jordan
    CBC Cork V HS Clonmel in Clashmore – Referee: Joe Salmon

http://www.eveningecho.ie/sport/midleton-cbs-excel-dean-ryan-triumph/49741/
    There you go lim4ev sorry about the delay in not replying earlier
    That game should show how strong ard scoil will be this year and there in this year dean cup semi also playing midelton again
    Ard scoil still the standard bearers in limerick and indeed munster with others

That was a game either team could have won so it showed how good ard scoil were and if anything loosing that game they have huge hunger to win this.
    I think the cork school midelton, ag and of course Rochestown will be stronger.
    Charville should be strong.

I think, may be wrong but Paddy loughlin is eligible for charville as is mike hoinhan son I'm not totally sure however.
    In that dean final casey was a huge loss you're correct but garan manly was also for midelton but was sick up to the game, but now with cork city fc, son of the former cork hurler garan manly, goal cork in all ireland finals loss kk twenty three years ago.
    Ard scoil with the boylan are i think the sons of ex limerick hurling doctor dave boylan who played with midelton in cork and is a good cork man.
    Doon are a very young panel and may be a year too early as there building for next year but with the two Ryan brothers who are eligible again next year and were with limerick this year and mcpartlsnd and Barry from cappawhite, they have good hurlers.
    They need imo should beat nenagh but harty cup particularly ist round games are always hard to call.

Ard scoil should probably qualify with midelton from the group and midelton have an excellent panel but once coaching is right should be okay and the game between them and ard scoil will be a re run of the dean final and should be a classic imo and any hurling fan even a neutral should watch that, as in autumn when the leaves are golden brown, the west wind blows the magical absoultey magic of the harty cup, is really a field of gold.
    I absoultey love the harty cup such a wonderful competition.
    Ard scoil and Castletroy are likely to be limerick guaranteed teams to get out of the group imo.

John looney and Peter Casey will be worth the entrance fee alone as will Josh beausang for midelton as all three are either currently cork and limerick minor or will be in beausang case.
    Beausang was outstanding for he's club ist ever county minor grade two winning under Cusack guidance weeks ago and looney was outstanding against limerick last year and this year and in dean Ryan cup and playing intermediate for club aghada and been brilliant and was playing harty cup last year and was scoring outstanding well.
    He has a big future for cork imo as does casey.
    I watched the video of the limerick final sunday and casey turn over rate of possession was exceptional but he's instinct and cohesion and guile but he's want, desire and hunger and spatial awareness was breath taking and is some player imo.

Fixtures as follows
    Wednesday 14th October
    Corn an Artaigh (18.5 A Hurling) at 1:30pm
    Ardscoil Ris V Ham HS Bandon in Mallow – Referee: Joe Larkin
    St Francis Col Rochestown V Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG in Mayfield – Referee: Diarmuid Kirwan
    Thurles CBS V St Colmans Fermoy in Clonmel – Referee: Willie Barrett
    DLS Waterford V Blackwater CS in Fraher Field – Referee: Thomas Walsh
    Charleville CBS V Our Lady’s Templemore in Claughaun – Referee: Richard Moloney
    Nenagh CBS V SNTN Doon in Newport – Referee: Kevin Jordan
    CBC Cork V HS Clonmel in Clashmore – Referee: Joe Salmon

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/nervy-moments-as-dinny-cahill-just-about-rubber-stamped-limerick-hurling-coach-1-7012742
    Hugely worrying times for Limerick it seems
    Also typical limerick ccb they seem to indicate what Wallace said was not true when they did as Wallace said in examiner offer him job and he declined but again pr propaganda imo didn't want it seems like Wallace turned them down so was like they refused Wallace

Wallace absoultey correct not join
    Ryan has good video man in o Donnell with him who is one best business but as proven cork and jbm old school orthodox tactics the best video man means nothing if you haven't back room team to assess the info and decide and devise a effective coherent cohesive modern game plan
    He's a club man of Ryan also and with don flynn and davy Clarke there imo no doubt Ryan will have support some management team which I suppose is good
    It seems as the delegate raised there's not real confidence from the players
    You would have to wonder why that could be when Cahill record is not bad and is good at club level, is it like that they just don't have confidence in the set up as a whole
    Interesting times ahead it seems according to this article as all doesn't seem well

I get a "wait til TJ's term is over" vibe from the whole thing. Rumours of players being unhappy, a kind of a makeshift management team cobbled together piecemeal over time, bringing in good men (Cahill, O'Connor) but not getting the men they wanted (Kinnerk/Wallace). I don't really know what to expect from 2016, but it's shaping up to be distinctly average at best. And of course, it being Limerick, there is always the danger it will blow up in your face.

You kind of knew as the league progressed this year that there was nobody really steering the ship in any direction, and if Na Piarsaigh get a run in the club championship there could be a whole raft of players unavailable again next spring. Pat Begley getting lots of gametime at 14 earlier this year was a clear warning sign, so it'll be interesting to see if there are similar alarm bells going off next February/March.

• Advertisement

Surely twoman that can't happen again after we won the u21 surely to god there are 4 or so on the subs bench this yr plus i'd guess 5 from the starting 15 that will have to go, bring in the best of the u21s to start namely maybe M casey,r english d byrnes one of the midfielders dempsey Morrissey thats six plus a few of the other lads on to the panel and clear the dead wood out once and for all.

Bad draw again for us tonight really wanted to avoid Tipp if possible but going on this yr you'd expect tipp to beat cork so more than likely we'll be heading to thurles next June

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

How is the dinny cahill appointment goibg down?

I know it was only pub talk but i heard last night that 13 of the u21 panel have been drafted into the senior squad now what that means at this stage i'm not sure of but if true surely good news?

I know it was only pub talk but i heard last night that 13 of the u21 panel have been drafted into the senior squad now what that means at this stage i'm not sure of but if true surely good news?

Extended training panel surely? Probably 40+ on it? It's good alright. Those u21 players have a long way to go to build up S&C to senior intercounty level. Mind some could have said that about some of the seniors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

More DRAMA in the pipeline it seems.

Certain players want TJ & Clarke gone, 9 of last years panel getting the boot.

Oh joy :rolleyes:

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    More DRAMA in the pipeline it seems.

Certain players want TJ & Clarke gone, 9 of last years panel getting the boot.

Oh joy :rolleyes:

Who are the players being dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Surely with 40+ on the extended training panel at the minute it is very early to be saying a certain number of players are surplus to requirements. Even if some of the panel from last year are not on board this time round perhaps they made the call themselves and stepped back because they were on the periphery last year anyway? I would imagine that everyone will get a chance and that after a few challenge games etc then maybe a call will have to be made on a few lads?

Realbhoy wrote: »
    Surely with 40+ on the extended training panel at the minute it is very early to be saying a certain number of players are surplus to requirements. Even if some of the panel from last year are not on board this time round perhaps they made the call themselves and stepped back because they were on the periphery last year anyway? I would imagine that everyone will get a chance and that after a few challenge games etc then maybe a call will have to be made on a few lads?
    I think what you said here would be more likely the case but Cahill style has been to known at any club he goes to to go with youth so I think in time i would expect a good few players from last year to be dropped for youth
    It's hard to say who would be dropped but Cahill always freshen up a panel

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

I think what you said here would be more likely the case but Cahill style has been to known at any club he goes to to go with youth so I think in time i would expect a good few players from last year to be dropped for youth
    It's hard to say who would be dropped but Cahill always freshen up a panel

I would agree but in time I would imagine. A bit early for the X number of players cut stories to emerge.

• Advertisement

Realbhoy wrote: »
    I would agree but in time I would imagine. A bit early for the X number of players cut stories to emerge.

I'd agree i doubt any player have been dropped now when training hasn't even resumed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement