Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

lim4ev wrote: »
    This is my take on the game,two top sides went at it today in a good quality game in windy conditions thurles had the wind for the first half and started well and were I think 4 points up at one stage but nap always kept it close and bar I think once were never more than 3 down despite the wind which was more or less blowing in to the city end goal,in the first half I thought Alan Dempsey was absolutely outstanding and scored one of the finest points seen in a long time at the Gaelic grounds for SARS the number 11 was v good and pa Burke didn't,miss a free.also SARS were getting more from play but nap had 2 clear cut goal chances one fell for d Dempsey but he kind of fluffed his ground stroke the other opportunity fell initially to p Casey who made a great run in from the left was half hooked I think and dowling gathered and fired a rasper in from about ten or fifteen yards and the SARS keeper made a fine save the score at half time was 12 pts to 9 in favour of SARS but I felt the wind was a 4-5 point advantage.

The second half was tight with downes scoring in the first minute to reduce the gap to 2 and it was too and fro until p Casey scored a truly great goal showing massive awareness and skill that I think put nap up by 2 but fair play to SARS they came back into it and drew level again and it was close up to I,d guess 5-6 min from the end when m Casey made an unbelievable run out of defence(anyone that reads my posts on this site know I am a big fan of this guy) passed it to d Dempsey and he finished it to the net.and that proved to be the critical score.in the end I think nap were the better team mostly because they scored 2 and it could have easily been 4 plus SARS didn't, really threaten the goal bar maybe once when the goalie made a good block from lar.

Nap will fancy their chances now up against ballygunner next week and I,d imagine they,ll be favourites.
    Thanks for a brilliant report

I would love na Piarsaigh to win the all ireland as I'm a fan of the legacy they are building but I in one way want Ballygunner to win over what happened off the field and I said this before they played the glen even
    I think na Piarsaigh will win and the two casey Ronan lynch and Dempsey etc are exciting young players coming through and they are an excellent team and I think that there the team with the better hurlers than bally gunner who have good hurlers but imo the limerick team have more
    You can only admire them in they make no excuse and still unbeaten in munster
    That deserves respect

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

lim4ev wrote:
    This is my take on the game,two top sides went at it today in a good quality game in windy conditions thurles had the wind for the first half and started well and were I think 4 points up at one stage but nap always kept it close and bar I think once were never more than 3 down despite the wind which was more or less blowing in to the city end goal,in the first half I thought Alan Dempsey was absolutely outstanding and scored one of the finest points seen in a long time at the Gaelic grounds for SARS the number 11 was v good and pa Burke didn't,miss a free.also SARS were getting more from play but nap had 2 clear cut goal chances one fell for d Dempsey but he kind of fluffed his ground stroke the other opportunity fell initially to p Casey who made a great run in from the left was half hooked I think and dowling gathered and fired a rasper in from about ten or fifteen yards and the SARS keeper made a fine save the score at half time was 12 pts to 9 in favour of SARS but I felt the wind was a 4-5 point advantage.

lim4ev wrote:

Thurles will be delighted with you elevating them to 'city' status;-)

Given the circumstances I thought Sars might shade it - I can only imagine the emotion in their dressing room just before they took the field.
    Fair play to Na Piarsaigh, they play with a bit of swagger these days.
    Mind you it took them a long time to bring all that underage success through to senior. When they won a Feile All Ireland back in 1984 little did they think it would be 2011 before they tasted senior success.
    All history now as they go from strength to strength. Noel Drumgoole would be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Casey is a special player... I suppose you don't want to build him up too much, but he's risen to every challenge he's faced so far. Been the key player in critical matches at senior club level, was a real thorn in the side of intercounty U-21 defences, carried Limerick at times in the minor this year and runs riot at club minor/Harty level.

He is very small, but he's a lovely hurler and has such pace. I really hope he can carry it through all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Peter Casey's goal was special. One of the best points I've seen from Cathal King, ran the length of the pitch beat a rake of players and fired it over, followed by David Dempsey's goal, won the game. Second goal a peach too, Michael Casey ran most of the length of the field and released to Dempsey on an overlap in space before Dempsey carried it on and smashed it home. Alan Dempsey hurled a world of ball in the first half and made some crucial plays in the final quarter, my man of the match. Thurles desperately looking for a goal for the last 5 minutes but every attack was repelled.

Bring on the final. Strongest club in Munster hurling. NaP abú.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

casey brothers are serious operators-along with alan dempsey etc...
    these guys have incredible potential
    just a matter of time before ronan lynch finds his form...class act
    tremendous work being done by naP
    all of limerick behind them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Peter Casey's goal was special. One of the best points I've seen from Cathal King, ran the length of the pitch beat a rake of players and fired it over, followed by David Dempsey's goal, won the game. Second goal a peach too, Michael Casey ran most of the length of the field and released to Dempsey on an overlap in space before Dempsey carried it on and smashed it home. Alan Dempsey hurled a world of ball in the first half and made some crucial plays in the final quarter, my man of the match. Thurles desperately looking for a goal for the last 5 minutes but every attack was repelled.

Bring on the final. Strongest club in Munster hurling. NaP abú.
    Great to see na piarsigh win, caseys goal sounded spectacular, I presume Tg4 will have highlights on their Monday night show...final will be tough against a rested b'gunner. With asr winning the Dean ryan with a few na piarsigh lads its been a great few days for them, showing the way to other Limerick city clubs...no whinging about soccer and rugby from them, just worked hard to create one of the stronger Munster clubs from the ground up.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Great to see na piarsigh win, caseys goal sounded spectacular, I presume Tg4 will have highlights on their Monday night show...final will be tough against a rested b'gunner. With asr winning the Dean ryan with a few na piarsigh lads its been a great few days for them, showing the way to other Limerick city clubs...no whinging about soccer and rugby from them, just worked hard to create one of the stronger Munster clubs from the ground up.

Totally agree re Nap what a great club i know they have big numbers but other clubs have big numbers too, for me i wish we had more like them i know there's great work going on in Mungret and monaleen if we could get the inner city clubs going the city would be more than contributing their fair share to the cause.I was at the match but hadn't a great view of either goals but my initial thoughts on casey's goal was top notch awareness hands etc,so am looking forward to seeing them again myself tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Tweet from Na Piarsaigh : Harty game moved to astro pitch in UL today.

N20 wrote: »
    Tweet from Na Piarsaigh : Harty game moved to astro pitch in UL today.

Incorrect apparently - original details stand

This appears to be correct list of fixtures
    Wednesday 18th November
    Dr Harty Cup Round 3 – all Harty games at 1:30pm
    Ardscoil Ris V Blackwater CS in Sean Treacy Park Tipperary Town
    Rochestown Col V Our Ladys Templemore in Boherlahan (note change of venue)
    Thurles CBS V SNTN Doon in Toomevara (note change of venue)
    Castletroy CC V HS Clonmel in Golden
    Ham HS Bandon V Midleton CBS in Ballincollig
    MATCH OFF – Gaelcolaiste Mhuire AG V PS Youghal
    St Colmans Fermoy V Nenagh CBS in Bansha (note change of venue)
    St Flannans V CBC Cork in Kilmallock

But perhaps subject to change

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Great to see na piarsigh win, caseys goal sounded spectacular, I presume Tg4 will have highlights on their Monday night show...

Just seen the goal on TG4 player, showed nifty footwork alright and a fine finish but not as spectacular as the radio lads were suggesting to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Just seen the goal on TG4 player, showed nifty footwork alright and a fine finish but not as spectacular as the radio lads were suggesting to be fair!

Yes agreed, was thinking it was a one off but wasnt spectacular as all that! Not bad for an 18 yo in fairness though!
    In the Harty cup ASR and Castletroy had wins while doon were well beaten,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

“So it’s been the great ambition of Limerick club hurling to win an All-Ireland. I believe the monkey will be off our backs in 2015.”

“He’s in the mould of Jonah Lomu in a lot of ways, God rest him. I would put Shane Dowling in the mould of Pat Heffernan.

“As a striker of the ball, Dowling is probably the most powerful I’ve seen since Mick Mackey. He has a great attitude and is physically very strong.

“There’s a great pep in Limerick hurling at the moment, brought on not by the county team or by anything the county board has done, but brought on by the clubs themselves and particularly Na Piarsaigh,” said Ryan.

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I looked at the highlights again and does anyone agree dowling is as trim as I have ever seen him,he needs to score more from play and hope he does on Sunday

Dowling seems to be getting some unwarranted abuse within the county recently for some reason... he was our best forward by a mile this year, and turns up in big games. Which can't always be said for some of the others. He must be close to our most important player, and I'd have him as the first forward I'd pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Dowling seems to be getting some unwarranted abuse within the county recently for some reason... he was our best forward by a mile this year, and turns up in big games. Which can't always be said for some of the others. He must be close to our most important player, and I'd have him as the first forward I'd pick.

Absolutely spot on

Downes ruled out just before throw-in for Na Piarsaigh; huge blow.

Ballygunner are missing the two Mahonys, who are massive losses but Breen & Downes are two of NaP's most experienced players, and Downes is a potential matchwinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

is it on tv?

newwan wrote: »
    is it on tv?

Deferred at half 3

• Advertisement

Goal for David Dempsey!

1-03 to 0-05, Ballygunner had been well on top by all accounts.

Goal Ballygunner! Tim O'Sullivan.

Sounds like it should have been cleared; 1-6 to 1-4 in favour of the Waterford champions.

3 points down at the break, but Na Piarsaigh have woken up at the start of the 2nd half- 4 points without reply, upped the pace and intensity of the game it seems. Casey, O'Donoghue, Foley, Dowling all on the scoresheet.

Dowling stepping up now, 2nd point from play for him, seems he's playing a very smart game.

Na Piarsaigh totally dominant since half-time; have outscored Ballygunner by 9 to 1 and are 5 points up. Ballygunner need to react soon or Na Piarsaigh will continue to power on home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Anyone backing Na Piarsaigh @ H-T in matches are having a party.

Ballygunner goal! Game well and truly on now. Brian O'Sullivan got it, only 2 in it now.

Monster score from Ronan Lynch puts Na Piarsaigh in front by 3 again. And Peter Casey gets another within a minute.

Great response to the goal.

Goal Shane Dowling! 2-18 to 2-10.

That kills it, well and truly. Some response to O'Sullivan's goal; 1-3 within a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

It will take a very good team to beat them. Some 2nd half team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement