Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

That's about right Washman.

Problems in the half back line maybe more so than full back line for Na P. David Breen is a loss there.

Gilligan should have had a red inside 5 minutes for striking Ronan Lynch off the ball. He was excellent after that, though quieter in the second half, some player at 38.

Downes is unstoppable once he gets the ball in hand. Should be delivered to him faster and more often. Peter Casey is class, gave Seadna Morey fierce trouble, probably shaded the battle. Brother Michael outstanding at corner back, some incredible blocks. Adrian Breen had a good second half. David Dempsey was excellent and really stood up when Na P were under the cosh in the first half, only forward to win balls and take the game to them for that period. Kevin Ryan was also very good.

William O'Donoghue was my man of the match at midfield, best game I've seen him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Wasn't at the match but good to hear the reports,According to some M casey outstanding again surely he's worth a look at for the seniors.I have to ask the question though in its current format though i always want to see limk teams doing well in the longer term twud prob be better if nap were beaten in next round for the betterment of limk hurling.The authorities need to bring in the all irl final for inter county to approx 20 aug then run club championships till oct then finish for a few monthsand let players rest.

With regard to D Breen missing other than his physicality i don't think he's missed that much certainly the players that replace him have better hurling.

If you don't think Breen is a loss at this level you are seriously misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

lim4ev wrote: »
    Wasn't at the match but good to hear the reports,According to some M casey outstanding again surely he's worth a look at for the seniors.I have to ask the question though in its current format though i always want to see limk teams doing well in the longer term twud prob be better if nap were beaten in next round for the betterment of limk hurling.The authorities need to bring in the all irl final for inter county to approx 20 aug then run club championships till oct then finish for a few monthsand let players rest.

With regard to D Breen missing other than his physicality i don't think he's missed that much certainly the players that replace him have better hurling.
    Thank for that report
    I totally agree regards Breen and have always maintained while he's gives he's all he's limited
    Cusack joining clare as selector means huge acknowledgement imo for the respect Fitzgerald coaching has and like Davy or not he's top manager

This imo is bad for cork limerick etc as I expected Cusack do great with clare
    Limerick will have a huge huge games in clare in the league now
    Well done on na Piarsaigh I'm delighted they won .

If you don't think Breen is a loss at this level you are seriously misguided.

Firstly I don't knock players as i played myself.

I always stood up for Breen previously and if i'm to be honest thought he had been dropped from the team for the county final as he hadn't done much v Kilmallock in semi i suppose at this level he would be a loss but the fact that i am only supposing his absence might be felt at club level wouldn;t augur well for him at county level, for me he's as honest as the day is long , i know he's had a few injuries of late and like downes if he got an injury free run he'll be better.If he was put in at 6 with r lynch moving to the wing i think that would improve Nap.

Great win for them and for a team that supposedly lacks heart they aren't half bad in eeking out results and will fancy their chances v thurles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ah lads, a fully fit Breen is a huge loss at club level. While he may not be standout skill-wise, he is still an experienced intercounty player and has an element of versatility too that makes him invaluable at that kind of level. Thurles will be a step-up from the Bridge, you'd feel; be a big test. Downes & Casey could test their full-back line though, Heffernan caused serious damage in there.

Have to stop Paudie Maher dominating though.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ah lads, a fully fit Breen is a huge loss at club level. While he may not be standout skill-wise, he is still an experienced intercounty player and has an element of versatility too that makes him invaluable at that kind of level. Thurles will be a step-up from the Bridge, you'd feel; be a big test. Downes & Casey could test their full-back line though, Heffernan caused serious damage in there.

Have to stop Paudie Maher dominating though.

It's ridiculous that anyone would even question that Breen is a loss.

Na P were more impressive against sixmilebridge than in the county final. They were clever in the county final though. Dempsey played centre forward but stood out deep off of Byrnes, picked up a lot of ball with no market on him and crucially it limited the impact Byrnes had on the game. If they can similarly keep Maher from dominating by keeping the ball away from his area they have a great chance.

i see old christians/claughaun won the premier A today good to see inner city teams doing well albeit in times past they would have been independent clubs and strong ones too esp claughaun but i suppose its good that they are together and play at a decent level.

My point re Breen was merely that Nap are so strong that he wouldn't be as big a loss to nap as the same calibre of player would be to other clubs.

I think the nap v thurles match could be a cracker,i'll ask the question again is it a good thing for Limerick hurling for nap to win and have a lenghty spell in the club championship? it makes for a terribly long yr for a lot of the limerick panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

lim4ev wrote: »
    i see old christians/claughaun won the premier A today good to see inner city teams doing well albeit in times past they would have been independent clubs and strong ones too esp claughaun but i suppose its good that they are together and play at a decent level.

My point re Breen was merely that Nap are so strong that he wouldn't be as big a loss to nap as the same calibre of player would be to other clubs.

I think the nap v thurles match could be a cracker,i'll ask the question again is it a good thing for Limerick hurling for nap to win and have a lenghty spell in the club championship? it makes for a terribly long yr for a lot of the limerick panel.

Yes it is, our senior team will win nothing next year, Na P in croker, lifting the cup, paddys day is what we want (but that's looking too far ahead)

You would have to think it has hindered our intercounty chances at least a little bit in recent years, but Kilkenny had the same thing with Ballyhale and still won the All-Ireland. They struggled in the league a bit, but by Championship, it doesn't matter at all.

Do we need the likes of Dowling, Downes, Breen to beat Clare and get promotion? Very probably, yes. But you know they'll all be back in the end.

Other players should be getting a chance while they're gone- but it's the likes of the Dempseys & the Caseys and Lynch who are must hurt, you'd imagine- less chance to stake a claim if NaP get through. Downes as well, he still needs to nail down a spot and is in flying form at the moment.

I think a Limerick club actually winning the All-Ireland would be great for the county though and they've a great chance this year if they can get over Sars.

• Advertisement

I'd tend to agree with Paddy here. Normally I would say i'd prefer to have the Na P players back and integrated into the team, but the selections last year don't convince me there is much planning put into how the selections fit together or patterns of play based on personnel anyway. At the start of the league last year we were trying various big full forwards to puck high balls at. 7 Na P players for limerick, no Alan Dempsey though.

Like yer selfs i too would love to see a limk team win the club championship my question was more based on the thought not of them missing for limericks league campaign but of mental and physical fatigue, if they were to do well because of the set up of the hurling season they'd be hurling straight thru without a break and thats hard.The sooner the aithorities bring the season all into the same yr the better if the all irl was finished by the 3rd week in august surely the club championship could be finished by the oct weekend,is this being too ambitious?
    Anyway this time next week this could be a discussion we won't be needing to discuss but i'd think Nap have a right chance next week and are developing into a fine side with a lot of quality in their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

Folks, who's coaching Doon now?

No joy for bruee today lost by 4, were second best but could still have won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Can't link but Limerick gaa tweeted that the u-21 management team remaining in place for next year. Excellent news.

trg wrote: »
    Folks, who's coaching Doon now?

James Donovan was manager with waterford sean prendergast coach this year
    Not sure if it changed now

Ard scoil play dean Ryan cup final v dls today
    Have not won it in a while but have went all out for it this year
    I would expect them to win as it's a very good ard scoil team

Great that the under twenty one management stay on
    They are correctly the favourite but next year will be tough as tippeary have excellent management in minor manager William maher and john devane who is higly rated
    Kk have always had talent from school and minor winning team but coaching was not great but now Breenan is there with cody coaching him they are going to win one of the next two imo
    Cody choosing to work with Breenan is confident vote in itself as he's judgement on people rarely wrong and any selector brought in senior was great
    Have no doubt cody was asked for advice before Breenan got it
    Cody was at kk v Dublin game under twenty one and most other so he knows talent is there
    Brennan coached a kk team junior county not so long ago
    limerick will be favourites v cork but Colin Ryan is huge loss to limerick as unfortunately look like to be out for a while due to injury

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

best of luck to ard scoil today
    limerick hurling on major upward curve
    delighted to hear of john kiely & co. reappointment
    looks like kilkenny are bringing a certain focus to u21 hurling
    doesn't matter, limerick will crush all before them

Ard scoil play dean Ryan cup final v dls today
    Have not won it in a while but have went all out for it this year
    I would expect them to win as it's a very good ard scoil team

Great that the under twenty one management stay on
    They are correctly the favourite but next year will be tough as tippeary have excellent management in minor manager William maher and john devane who is higly rated
    Kk have always had talent from school and minor winning team but coaching was not great but now Breenan is there with cody coaching him they are going to win one of the next two imo
    Cody choosing to work with Breenan is confident vote in itself as he's judgement on people rarely wrong and any selector brought in senior was great
    Have no doubt cody was asked for advice before Breenan got it
    Cody was at kk v Dublin game under twenty one and most other so he knows talent is there
    Brennan coached a kk team junior county not so long ago
    limerick will be favourites v cork but Colin Ryan is huge loss to limerick as unfortunately look like to be out for a while due to injury

Congratulations to ard scoil there ist dean Ryan since Shane dowling eight years ago I think won one that started ard scoil revolution
    As I said a fine fine team and all management deserves credit and I hear moran had behind scenes involvement also
    This is greatfor limerick in eleven that team were limerick men and like I always felt are always talent is in limerick just need coachingTalking lad today whwho at the game he said ard scoil completely better team could won by more and out thought as great coach as waterford Derek McGrath on side line

While I don't rate mcgrath as highly as other rate him at senior inter county and I feel he's over rated at school winning two all ireland in row proved school he's excellent and magnificent school manager but apparently he's sweeper system was absoultey dominated by ard scoil and ard scoil management deserves huge credit for that

Ard scoil imo can and will win the all ireland but Kilkenny cbs think in leinster still

Limerick development team last year poor results as coaching was poor but Kinnerk now coming in means limerick from under fourteen to under seventeen will be brilliant but worry is minor coaching is off what required with daly as coach
    What would be better is daly as manager and Kinnerk as coach of minor that would work
    Limerick senior hurling are back training and majority most panel still there last year practical all with just couple new faces

Cahill is going to be doing all the hand on coaching in drill etc

congrats to ard scoil
    future of limerick hurling
    gaa in this county is all set to go supernova

• Advertisement

see some people moaning about ard scoil's advantages, having a professional approach to schools hurling as opposed to more fundemental traditional gaa of yore
    i suspect if the school in question was in cork they'd have zero issue with it
    its all quite funny really not without a twinge of sadness

limmyhulk wrote: »
    see some people moaning about ard scoil's advantages, having a professional approach to schools hurling as opposed to more fundemental traditional gaa of yore

It's correct in what you say in using the cork point cork can't complain as colmans cork were unfairly labelled as taking players when they were successful but my view like it's with ard scoil as I am for and big fan ard scoil for what they achieved like I have been on the cork thread in favour of ard scoil and certainly I and many cork fans I don't think would begrudge them
    They set a legacy of success imo that has to be admired imo

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

limmyhulk wrote: »

If your referring to my posts on Cork Thread, and if you enquire outside your own circle you'll find there are plenty of Limerick folk have a moan about it as well - probably with more bitterness

Ive always had a healthy interest and respect for Limerick hurling

I must look up the definition of supernova to see where Limerick hurling is off to next

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

Saw a bit online about the lotto won in Limerick last night. It is sad to read what Donal O'Grady said about hurling training now.

"Unfortunately no, you can't enjoy Christmas. If you do, you'll pay the price and you'll be left behind. We get tested two weeks before Christmas and two weeks after and they don't want any movement in your body fat. It's gone very strict now."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/captain-of-limerick-hurling-team-sells-winning-4m-lotto-ticket-34202283.html

Great win for Na Piarsaigh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Sounds like Casey's goal may be up there with Canning for goal of the year.

Delighted for na Piarsaigh a fine fine team and didn't see the game but sounds a great win and shows there dealing favourite well tag and imo should beat Ballygunner who are only okay and nothing great just average teams imo with a coach tactically I would not be convinced
    Na Piarsaigh can only beat themselves imo in munster now
    If they go for it they could beat Ballygunner handy enough imo

This is my take on the game,two top sides went at it today in a good quality game in windy conditions thurles had the wind for the first half and started well and were I think 4 points up at one stage but nap always kept it close and bar I think once were never more than 3 down despite the wind which was more or less blowing in to the city end goal,in the first half I thought Alan Dempsey was absolutely outstanding and scored one of the finest points seen in a long time at the Gaelic grounds for SARS the number 11 was v good and pa Burke didn't,miss a free.also SARS were getting more from play but nap had 2 clear cut goal chances one fell for d Dempsey but he kind of fluffed his ground stroke the other opportunity fell initially to p Casey who made a great run in from the left was half hooked I think and dowling gathered and fired a rasper in from about ten or fifteen yards and the SARS keeper made a fine save the score at half time was 12 pts to 9 in favour of SARS but I felt the wind was a 4-5 point advantage.

The second half was tight with downes scoring in the first minute to reduce the gap to 2 and it was too and fro until p Casey scored a truly great goal showing massive awareness and skill that I think put nap up by 2 but fair play to SARS they came back into it and drew level again and it was close up to I,d guess 5-6 min from the end when m Casey made an unbelievable run out of defence(anyone that reads my posts on this site know I am a big fan of this guy) passed it to d Dempsey and he finished it to the net.and that proved to be the critical score.in the end I think nap were the better team mostly because they scored 2 and it could have easily been 4 plus SARS didn't, really threaten the goal bar maybe once when the goalie made a good block from lar.

Nap will fancy their chances now up against ballygunner next week and I,d imagine they,ll be favourites.

Great stuff, casey is a tough one, sense says he's too young for senior but seems to be playing brilliantly

• Advertisement

Another thing that pleased me today was the support for nap I tell you when the goals went in the noise from the stand was superb

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement