Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Don Flynn new selector for seniors, Davy Clarke still there from last year, Joe O'Connor on board as strength and conditioning coach with obviously TJ kept on as manager, this will be ratified tomorrow night at county board meeting. Hurling coach to be confirmed at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-gaa-confirm-new-look-senior-hurling-management-1-6956164
    It doesn't seem as if Kinnerk is going to join so
    As I said before I would be surprised if he did
    If he was going to join you would think he would have been announced now
    It would seem they seem to have problems getting a coach
    O connor is a brilliant addition however s and c on its own won't make much difference
    Cork had the brilliant pat flangan with the football last year but had no tactical football coaching

Limerick have made no real significant change so far in last year they needed a tactical hurling coach and there still in need of one
    It's going to be interesting who they get
    The minor appointment are interesting in the hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-gaa-confirm-new-look-senior-hurling-management-1-6956164
    It doesn't seem as if Kinnerk is going to join so
    As I said before I would be surprised if he did
    If he was going to join you would think he would have been announced now
    It would seem they seem to have problems getting a coach
    O connor is a brilliant addition however s and c on its own won't make much difference
    Cork had the brilliant pat flangan with the football last year but had no tactical football coaching

Limerick have made no real significant change so far in last year they needed a tactical hurling coach and there still in need of one
    It's going to be interesting who they get
    The minor appointment are interesting in the hurling

How can the clubs be asked to ratify something thats incomplete. One of the main reasons people were ok with TJ stayin on was they got new blood into the backroom team to freshen things up. Hurling coach is the most inportant part of it.
    Clubs have a chance to lay down the law tonight. But as usual the club delegates will just vote for the incomplete management team and when things go pear shaped will be the first to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

CB and TJ still hoping to entice Kinnerk I'd imagine, he's supposed to have agreed to link up with the Limerick football panel but there has been no official confirmation yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

pajoguy wrote: »
    How can the clubs be asked to ratify something thats incomplete. One of the main reasons people were ok with TJ stayin on was they got new blood into the backroom team to freshen things up. Hurling coach is the most inportant part of it.
    Clubs have a chance to lay down the law tonight. But as usual the club delegates will just vote for the incomplete management team and when things go pear shaped will be the first to complain.
    Ya it sounds like they've been trying to recruit aa coach but are not yet successful, the management team should be ratified as a whole, not as a team with an an other in it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Sportin

Brilliant win by Limerick Saturday. Superb team performance.
    Limerick's stickwork and interplay was joy to behold. Lovely brand of hurling plus a massive workrate.
    Well done to the players, panel and management for making Saturday such a special day for Limerick supporters.

Sportin wrote: »
    Brilliant win by Limerick Saturday. Superb team performance.
    Limerick's stickwork and interplay was joy to behold. Lovely brand of hurling plus a massive workrate.
    Well done to the players, panel and management for making Saturday such a special day for Limerick supporters.
    It was brilliant to see and also the implementation of a sweeper that was effective and we'll structure and allowed the two man full forward line absoultey flourish with lynch roaming excellent all over the field

This was superb in not the win but more the embracing of the sweeper and possession game and the work rate as you say was excellent like kk in from the start to the finish
    As colm o rourke said regards mayo though last week being brave and working hard isn't enough if you don't have a game plan
    Limerick had a game plan both a plan and plan b
    This was a huge day for Limerick in it showed the non traditional style but more leaning towards a new modern game
    Possession is king in the modern game and limerick dominated that Saturday and it was down to a magnificent well coached innovative game plan
    There's a civic reception this week for the team and it's well deserved
    That's exactly what they should get and hopefully a huge crowd turns out to celebrate the win

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

What a night! All-Ireland champions, hard to believe it's been so long and let's hope we can kick on from this and bring success to senior. Tbf I always expected us to win the All-Ireland once we got over Tipp. The character we showed against a serious Tipp outfit to get the win despite being down to 14 men, as well as the serious hurling ability convinced me. We all knew from seeing these lads up along that they were an incredible group and were always going to win an All-Ireland at some stage. Some extenuating circumstances at minor level but the talent was there and they really showed that in the final, simply blew Wexford off the park. Were Wexford better than Tipp or Clare? Probably not, on that showing.

Player-by-player:

McCarthy was probably our 'least good' performer on the night. Not to say he was bad, quick off his line on a few occasions. One or two poor puckouts and should have done better for the goal, topspin taken into account. Had a great season though.

Sean Finn was magnificent. Best game in a Limerick jersey and he's had some great days. I thought he was unreal.

English was class aswell, McDonald was held both inside and outside. English was strong, commanded the full-back spot well. Really dominant display.

I was slightly surprised that they opted to use Casey as the free man rather than Finn but he was excellent, as per usual. He's such a good man marker too though. A proper corner-back.

Byrnes showed his leadership as well as his aerial dominance, and popped up with a couple of fine scores too. Just killed the Wexford half-forwards really.

Barry was class again too; that half-back line as a unit are a formidable force and Barry takes on perhaps the most unfashionable role of the three, doesn't tend to get the eyecatching takes out of the air and doesn't get to roam upfield as much but he drops deeps to make sure the ball doesn't break beyond, makes himself available for the pass and almost always finds his man. Couple of lovely passes to Dempsey in particular led to scores. Been a long time since there was an All-Ireland medal in the club, delighted for him.

Hegarty was brilliant, probably his best performance of the season and again, he's been fantastic all the year. His hook early on really set the tone for the game. Unbelievably dominant in the air, was madness that Wexford kept hitting ball down on top of him.

Darragh O'Donovan was again superb, what an engine he has. Covered every blade of grass I'd say. All action midfielder in the mould of Paul Browne and we absolutely wiped them out in midfield.

Pat Ryan similar, the two lads work very well with each other and Cian Lynch. Ryan is a very intelligent hurler too, very good at picking up space and he got three scores aswell. Was a forward for the minors and he was good there, was corner-forward for the 21s last year and didn't make a huge impression but has really come into his own at midfield.

Cian Lynch was top, top class. I'd say he didn't touch the ball at all for the first ten minutes but once he got it once, he dominated the game. So hard to stop, wins an amount of ball and sets up a huge amount of scores. Wexford possibly made it a bit easy for him, but he ran riot.

Barry Nash was man of the match beyond a doubt. Scored five points, probably should have scored two or three more and directly set up another three or four with passes. His man hadn't a clue how to play him, Nash was just knocking the ball in front of him and taking off towards goal. His pace and power is seriously impressive.

Tom Morrissey is one of the best forwards we have for pure work rate, hassling and harrying and closing down amongst a group who are very good for that in general. Scored 0-4 aswell, worked very well with Nash.

Dempsey is a hugely skilful hurler, and does work hard. Possibly doesn't dominate his man as much as you'd like but he pulls off some outrageous moments. Wasn't his best day on the scoresheet, but again, that's only because he's had some great days.

I don't think Colin Ryan scored at all but he roasted Liam Ryan about four times. Was unlucky not to get a goal or two, worked hard as usual and set up a few scores all right. Serious hurler.

Lynch was probably one of the quietest, still hugely accurate from frees, nice little finish for the disallowed goal and his point from play showed some beautiful quick hands. Fine hurler but I'd prefer to see him further back next year.

From the subs, Casey was the perfect man to bring on against tiring legs, ran riot. Class player. I do wish he had just buried the penalty though. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave did well when he came on and won the penalty. Didn't see much of Kelliher or Hannon really, weren't on for too long.

Fair play to Johnny Kiely and his backroom team; we all know the talent of the players but the tactics and preparation were really top class. The team do actually play like Kilkenny, serious work rate all over the pitch, smart hurling, a dominant half-back line and plenty of ruthlessness. It's only 21s but it's winning hurling. The players seem to love Ross Corbett- Byrnes singled him out for praise and they were in top shape. And Kiely himself had monumental praise for Jimmy Quilty; "off the charts" how good a coach he is. Which is interesting at least. I'd love our seniors to play that same all action style, it is a bit like how we were in 2014 except with much more ballwinning ability. Kiely sees it as a hugely important factor, I wish TJ did too. Kiely himself obviously must take huge credit too, he oversees everything and does pick the team and the selections were fantastic. Hegarty to wing-back, Barry as a deep-lying centre-back, free role for Lynch (probably a no-brainer really), bringing Colin Ryan after the first day. Maybe obvious in hindsight but some coaches make odd choices.

It's really fantastic, great stuff all around. Delighted here. As for bringing them up to seniors- on paper, you could probably make an argument for almost all of the starting team to be involved on a senior panel next year but if we learned one thing from Dave Keane; it's that you can't just do a huge clearout and expect it to work. Especially since we have loads of talented players at senior level. If we could bring the same work rate, application and tactics to the senior panel though..... and I'd definitely bring up a few to freshen things up but it would have to be carefully considered which ones are ready to go right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Really tough luck on Kevin O'Brien not even making the panel for the final due to an unfortunate injury. Had been a starter for the first game and a good ability to score goals.
    Anyone know if he's still U21 next year.??

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

washman3 wrote: »
    Really tough luck on Kevin O'Brien not even making the panel for the final due to an unfortunate injury. Had been a starter for the first game and a good ability to score goals.

Overage next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

washman3 wrote: »

Wasn't injured for the semi final or final as far as I know. Just not picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Yeah KOB was just dropped for the final afaik, he had been playing for the Well against Kilmallock, think he scored a goal.

Bit harsh on him, I would definitely rate him as one of the best forwards at the age level. Surely good enough for the bench at least. You could even make a case for him being a better full forward than Lynch, although obviously Lynch's freetaking is a serious plus for him. But with Ryan, Nash & Morrissey also starting; it's not as if we'd miss loads of frees either.

As for amending the 21s team next year for the 4 departures from a long way out. You've got a goalkeeper and 3 half-backs to replace.

I think Eoghan Mac is a shoo-in in goal tbh. Fine keeper and he comes straight in for McCarthy from the bench, Hedderman or someone can be the sub.

I'd move Ronan Lynch back from the forwards into centre-back. He probably doesn't have the natural aggression of the three lads there this year, and I'm not sure he's as good a ballwinner but he has the potential in that area and he can definitely read a game and pick out a pass. His pass to Cian Lynch on Saturday was unbelievable. Maybe lacks a bit of pace but BOC isn't a sprinter either... if he plays a similar role, I think he could be top class.

Obviously if you bring Lynch back, that leaves a gap up front but again that would seem to be a no-brainer in starting Peter Casey who is just pure quality. Different type of player to Lynch, all about pace and movement, like a younger Graeme Mul but a natural forward.

I'd bring Andrew La Touche Cosgrave off the bench to take one of the wing-back spots. Possibly unlucky not to start this year, could be good as a forward or a back, a big scorer for Monaleen but was great in the backs for the Limerick minors and I think he could be superb for the U-21s. Not as physical as any of the three this year, but he is good in the air and he's very mobile.

For the last spot, there is the possibility of Colin Ryan moving back who would bring aerial prowess, physicality and real doggedness but I nearly prefer him in the forwards, where I think he'd compliment Casey in a two-man full forward line very well. If Kiely is intent on making the half-back line his strongest again, it would make sense. If you did move him back, you'd have to have a replacement up front. Seamus Flanagan didn't go quite as well for the minors this year, neither did Barry Murphy, Paddy O'Loughlin has scored a lot for Kilmallock, Dylan Dawson scored a lot last season for Blackrock, Dean Coleman was in favour back in 2013. Robbie Hanley started this season but he's definitely not an inside forward and if you were to play him, Morrissey or Nash would have to move inside and I really do prefer both in the half-forward line. It would be an option though.

For me, I'd leave Colin Ryan inside; I just think having a ballwinner of that calibre inside strengthens the attack a huge amount and would work well with Casey. I'd pick Sean Flanagan at wing-back, who is a fine player, very mobile, quite skilful. Lorcan Lyons was always good for the minors too and I expect him to be involved next year. Seamus Flanagan ended up playing back there for the minors and Kyle Hayes could possibly be involved once the minors are out- his form for K/P at centre-back has been unreal, I'd say he's a better centre-back than Barry, plucks ball after ball out of the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Now the dust has settled i just wanted to offer my congratulations to your U-21 team... The skill level ye have in that group is really a sight to behold... I feared for wexford before the game started and unfortunately my fears came to pass. Alot of wexford people are complaining about our management which has some truth to it but the real truth is we were outclassed out muscled and by far in away out taught.

Congrats to your team and i really hope ye can push on and translate this to senior success

CB and TJ still hoping to entice Kinnerk I'd imagine, he's supposed to have agreed to link up with the Limerick football panel but there has been no official confirmation yet.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's a cork coach goes in as coach.
    Cork seem to have a strong connection to limerick hurling the last few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Time for an update following our 5th title -

66 Limerick hurlers have won All-Ireland U-21 medals on the field :

3 -

Timmy Houlihan 2000, 2001, 2002
    Damien Reale 2000, 2001, 2002
    Eugene Mulcahy 2000, 2001, 2002
    Mark Keane 2000, 2001, 2002
    Kevin Tobin (1 sub) 2000, 2001, 2002

2 -

Brian Geary 2000, 2001
    Stephen Lucey 2000, 2001
    Maurice O'Brien 2001, 2002
    Peter Lawlor 2001, 2002
    Eoin Foley 2001, 2002
    Conor Fitzgerald 2001, 2002
    Niall Moran 2001, 2002
    Brian Carroll (1 s) 2001, 2002
    Andrew O'Shaughnessy (1 s) 2001, 2002
    Pat Tobin (1 s) 2001, 2002

1 -

Val Murnane 1987
    Anthony Madden 1987
    Pa Carey 1987
    Don Flynn 1987
    Declan Nash 1987
    Anthony O’Riordan 1987
    John O’Neill 1987
    Mike Reale 1987
    Ger Hegarty 1987
    Gary Kirby 1987
    Anthony Carmody 1987
    Gus Ryan 1987
    Pat Barrett 1987
    Leo O’Connor 1987
    Joe O’Connor 1987
    Declan Marron (s) 1987

Paudie Reale 2000
    Paul O'Reilly 2000
    Willie Walsh 2000
    John Meskell 2000
    Paul O'Grady 2000
    Sean O'Connor 2000
    Dave Stapleton 2000
    Donnacha Sheehan 2000
    Brian Begley 2000

Mark O'Riordan 2001

Mickey Cahill 2002
    Paudie O'Dwyer 2002
    James O'Brien 2002
    Patrick Kirby 2002
    Ray Hayes (s) 2002

David McCarthy 2015
    Sean Finn 2015
    Richie English 2015
    Michael Casey 2015
    Diarmaid Byrnes 2015
    Barry O'Connell 2015
    Gearoid Hegarty 2015
    Darragh O'Donovan 2015
    Pat Ryan 2015
    Barry Nash 2015
    Tom Morrissey 2015
    David Dempsey 2015
    Cian Lynch 2015
    Colin Ryan 2015
    Ronan Lynch 2015
    Peter Casey (s) 2015
    Andrew La Touche-Cosgrave (s) 2015
    Jack Kelliher (s) 2015
    Mark O'Callaghan (s) 2015
    Jody Hannon (s) 2015

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Yeah KOB was just dropped for the final afaik, he had been playing for the Well against Kilmallock, think he scored a goal.

Bit harsh on him, I would definitely rate him as one of the best forwards at the age level. Surely good enough for the bench at least. You could even make a case for him being a better full forward than Lynch, although obviously Lynch's freetaking is a serious plus for him. But with Ryan, Nash & Morrissey also starting; it's not as if we'd miss loads of frees either.

As for amending the 21s team next year for the 4 departures from a long way out. You've got a goalkeeper and 3 half-backs to replace.

I think Eoghan Mac is a shoo-in in goal tbh. Fine keeper and he comes straight in for McCarthy from the bench, Hedderman or someone can be the sub.

I'd move Ronan Lynch back from the forwards into centre-back. He probably doesn't have the natural aggression of the three lads there this year, and I'm not sure he's as good a ballwinner but he has the potential in that area and he can definitely read a game and pick out a pass. His pass to Cian Lynch on Saturday was unbelievable. Maybe lacks a bit of pace but BOC isn't a sprinter either... if he plays a similar role, I think he could be top class.

Obviously if you bring Lynch back, that leaves a gap up front but again that would seem to be a no-brainer in starting Peter Casey who is just pure quality. Different type of player to Lynch, all about pace and movement, like a younger Graeme Mul but a natural forward.

I'd bring Andrew La Touche Cosgrave off the bench to take one of the wing-back spots. Possibly unlucky not to start this year, could be good as a forward or a back, a big scorer for Monaleen but was great in the backs for the Limerick minors and I think he could be superb for the U-21s. Not as physical as any of the three this year, but he is good in the air and he's very mobile.

For the last spot, there is the possibility of Colin Ryan moving back who would bring aerial prowess, physicality and real doggedness but I nearly prefer him in the forwards, where I think he'd compliment Casey in a two-man full forward line very well. If Kiely is intent on making the half-back line his strongest again, it would make sense. If you did move him back, you'd have to have a replacement up front. Seamus Flanagan didn't go quite as well for the minors this year, neither did Barry Murphy, Paddy O'Loughlin has scored a lot for Kilmallock, Dylan Dawson scored a lot last season for Blackrock, Dean Coleman was in favour back in 2013. Robbie Hanley started this season but he's definitely not an inside forward and if you were to play him, Morrissey or Nash would have to move inside and I really do prefer both in the half-forward line. It would be an option though.

For me, I'd leave Colin Ryan inside; I just think having a ballwinner of that calibre inside strengthens the attack a huge amount and would work well with Casey. I'd pick Sean Flanagan at wing-back, who is a fine player, very mobile, quite skilful. Lorcan Lyons was always good for the minors too and I expect him to be involved next year. Seamus Flanagan ended up playing back there for the minors and Kyle Hayes could possibly be involved once the minors are out- his form for K/P at centre-back has been unreal, I'd say he's a better centre-back than Barry, plucks ball after ball out of the sky.
    Seems like the most logical thing alright, I'd like to see how Ronan l operates at 6 for both intermediates and u21 next year, give him a full season in the posution starting from the start of the season,
    I don't think it'll happen to many in this group but at 19/20 players can lose form/injury/ be overtaken by younger players, for instance KOB wouldnt have been a certain starter in most peoples eyes last year but ended the year not making the bench, so a guy on the panel this year or even team may not be a starter next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Bit of a look ahead: Nailed on starters are few for next year, Gavin, Dowling, and Quaid for me. Quaid either in goals or outfield.

Hickey had an awful season by his standards but I don't think he was fully right. He was phenomenal in 2014, you only need to look at the how he completely dominated this year's HOTY elect TJ Reid -that's the level he is at, I expect he'll get back to it. Downes has disappointed but I still have massive faith in him to come good, injuries, poor management and being shifted around from pillar to post have held him back. Hannon was incredibly frustrating this year and can have fewer excuses than Downes IMO. Still think he'll come good. Richie's dip in form was overstated, he stays. Browne and Jimbob, not past it by any stretch but places their places up for grabs for sure. I see Condon and Paudie struggling to keep their places.

Byrnes, O'Connell, English, Morrissey, Nash, Lynch, Pat Ryan would all come into the senior panel for me. Strong case too for for a few more.

The 21s have set the template for how the seniors need to set up which I think is dictated by having a player like Cian Lynch. He plays third mid, mids and half forwards can sit deep and 6 can sit deep.
    All the 21s above have potential to start for the seniors. Quaid should be looked at outfield now, Gavin at half forward is a good option, Alan Dempsey should be involved, Tom Ryan too maybe.

Quaid/Murphy

Hickey
    Richie
    Dempsey/English

Byrnes
    Quaid/O'Connell/Gavin
    O'Connell/Gavin/Wayne

Seanie O'Brien
    Tom Ryan/Jimbob/Browne

Hannon and two of Downes/Gavin/Reidy/R Lynch/Morrissey/Breen

Downes/Mulcahy/Nash
    Dowling
    Cian Lynch

McCarthy
    English McCarthy Hickey
    Byrnes Quaid Hegarty
    JRyan Browne
    Nash OMahony CLynch
    Mulcahy Downes CRyan or DDempsey
    Others:
    Murphy or E.McNamara
    ADempsey, WMcNamara, SOBrien, Donavan, Hannon, Dowling, TMorrissey, Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Congratulations to all involved firstly it has been a real lift after a very disappointing season with the seniors. Also the record of being unbeaten in U21 AI Finals is one of those rare hurling records that Limerick folk can regard with pride.

The most interesting aspect at this point looking forward is to how the half-back line will be rebuilt. It was by far and away the most important line this year, we were blessed to have three physically imposing lads manning this line who were all on the age and very strong in the air. I was amazed to see Galway and Wexford in particular this year hit ball after ball on top of Hegarty when he was getting his hand to nearly everything that dropped on him. I had my doubts about Barry O'Connell at the start but he improved and improved as the year went on and was immense against Wexford, sending excellent deliveries into space. I'd agree with others at this juncture that a half-back line of ALTC, Ronan Lynch and Colin Ryan is a possibility next year, it wouldn't be as strong physically as this years but there would be more athleticism to ALTC and Ryan and game-plans could adjust accordingly.

Looking at the seniors, outside of Lynch who was a starter this year, I would imagine English, Byrnes, O'Connell, Pat Ryan and Morrissey would be key candidates to get a proper go at senior. Looking at the age profile of the existing squad, the needs are greater to start finding replacements in defence and midfield, largely composed of players from the 2005 minor panel, as opposed to the forwards where a few players are pulled from the 2011 U21 squad. I wouldn't hold the view at this point that any player is guaranteed their spot, i.e. let the battle of the Richies commence for full-back. Seamus Hickey might have been the last man to hold TJ Reid but look at the differing ways their stock has gone since that game in 2014. Jimbob powers through an amount of work but his striking of the ball has been poor and you have an amount of players snapping at his heels suited to covering midfield ground, Cian Lynch, Dan Morrissey, Pat Ryan, Tom Ryan, John Fitzgibbon. There should be that competition for places next year, if there is, and players genuinely feel they have a chance of making the team, it goes a long way to driving the squad forward.

There is a major lesson to be drawn from both the U21s vs Wexford and the early exchanges when we were on top vs Dublin and that is the advantage to be gained by creating space in the opposing half. For too much of last year we were content to play a static front 3 and it makes it very difficult for forwards to create any kind of room for themselves. Secondly the forwards simply need to work, work, work. This has been a key ingredient to KK's success for a decade now, hassling and harrying the opposition's defence coming out with the ball is a minimum requirement for any inter-county forward otherwise they will have the time and space to pin your own defence back. Look at the difference between Hannon at centre-forward for the seniors and Morrissey at centre-forward for the U21s this year. The difference from both a defensive and offensive point of view is stark. Morrissey's goal on his knees against Galway is exactly what you want to see, driving at the opposition down the centre to the last. Part of that is down to the different setups, no doubt, but part of it is down to playing the right players in the right positions.

Won't bother attempting a team, there's too far to go even between now and the League to attempt it. We'll know a lot more once a preliminary panel is named in the new year.

Jerome O'Connell just tweeted that TJ and the new (incomplete) backroom team ratified "without a question or a query" at tonight's meeting. I look forward to speaking to my club representative about that, what's the point of these meetings of the clubs don't put forward any input?

I guess some outsiders might view it as odd the backroom team has been ratified despite being incomplete, but these are the save geniuses who two years ago installed joint senior managers and no manager at all to the intermediates, or 5 joint managers depending on your outlook.

Our county board can be irritatingly half-assed with these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Jerome O'Connell just tweeted that TJ and the new (incomplete) backroom team ratified "without a question or a query" at tonight's meeting. I look forward to speaking to my club representative about that, what's the point of these meetings of the clubs don't put forward any input?

I guess some outsiders might view it as odd the backroom team has been ratified despite being incomplete, but these are the save geniuses who two years ago installed joint senior managers and no manager at all to the intermediates, or 5 joint managers depending on your outlook.

Our county board can be irritatingly half-assed with these things.

So can TJ bring in anyone now? Does that person have to be ratified? If not he should appoint Tom Ryan as hurling coach😂

He has to be under pressure to deliver a reputable coach. He threw beary under the bus rightly or wrongly i dont know but surely he had to have had something up his sleeve when he did that or was told. Its hard to know what to believe at this stage. Cant see kinnerk coming.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a cork coach goes in as coach.
    Cork seem to have a strong connection to limerick hurling the last few years.

If it is I just hope its not Corbett, the under 21 title is up for grabs for us again in a big way next year, we'll be favourites but we have to completely reinvent our now over-age half back line (which was exceptional all year) and Waterford will have a big say in Munster next year. (They'll be particularly motivated if they play us after most of their panel next year having lost the 13 and 14 Munster minor finals to us, close games they'll feel they could easily have won both times themselves) Taking Corbett out of the picture would make that task even more difficult.

All we've heard from players is glowing praise of Corbett.

Wouldn't it be funny yet not entirely surprising if our county board went back cap in hand to Jerry Wallace to fill the vacant slot on the senior management team?! I wouldn't mind if they did ask him, just so he could tell them where to go after they completely messed him around at the end of last year!!

Don Flynn and Jerry Wallis when Midelton out of championship.
    I hear there are changes in u21 management for next year too which is a pity

If it is I just hope its not Corbett, the under 21 title is up for grabs for us again in a big way next year, we'll be favourites but we have to completely reinvent our now over-age half back line (which was exceptional all year) and Waterford will have a big say in Munster next year. (They'll be particularly motivated if they play us after most of their panel next year having lost the 13 and 14 Munster minor finals to us, close games they'll feel they could easily have won both times themselves) Taking Corbett out of the picture would make that task even more difficult.

All we've heard from players is glowing praise of Corbett.

Wouldn't it be funny yet not entirely surprising if our county board went back cap in hand to Jerry Wallace to fill the vacant slot on the senior management team?! I wouldn't mind if they did ask him, just so he could tell them where to go after they completely messed him around at the end of last year!!
    It won't be Corbett
    As for Wallace I certainly wouldn't rule it out
    He said he wants the cork job but spoke on radio how he'd like have he's own stamp structure and how you would need time build it etc but you would need bring in he's own men

He hugely passionate cork man and spoke radio against any outside coach cork

If cork offered him job he would take it but unlikely he be offered it
    The one concern you would have though is who ever is coach how much control do they have
    That will determine the real success
    The limerick back room team so far has sean o Donnell jbm time as video assessment
    He's excellent and brilliant but I think the last limerick video assessment guy was good also
    My point is that alone won't change limerick in Donnell can do brilliant with stats but that won't be the problem, the real success will be how management and coaches interpret the stats and information given and then development game plan that works and also on problem solving the area needed to improve like from hands on coaching

I don't think gathering information was ever the main problem for Limerick last year
    A bit like a company doing great market research how where to gain an opening in the market but if the product there then marketing isn't good quality all the information they get is irrelevant
    Donnell was brilliant with cork and jbm but he's no real influence on jbm style play cork and jbm favoring orthodox over possession game
    This is good move for Limerick but that on its own isn't enough
    Inter county there's many boxes that have to be ticked for success

Limerick added don flynn as a selector who is a real limerick hurling man and very passionate etc
    The question however remain what success has he to be a senior Selector
    He was with the limerick intermediate that were beaten by cork but Cork second team over the rule change in munster final
    Nothing against flynn in hurling but Surely one of the under twenty one lads like quility etc would been better to double up as selector with limerick senior and still with under twenty one in provides links both set up like clare and Donegal had and even tippeary football between senior and under twenty one set up
    You can always tell if a team will play a certain way by the make up of its management
    Flynn limerick played direct orthodox style
    So far it's hard to see where the change for Limerick will come from

So the new coach limerick will tell imo if limerick play possession or sweeper game in that's the position left to fill
    At the moment there's nothing in limerick management to say there going to change from orthodox style
    The coach when announced will show if they will
    No matter how good a coach is at the orthodox style it's a certain fact now no one will win or beat kk playing orthodox as possession in hurling is ace of spades
    If limerick get a top proven coach and allow him coach he's way limerick next year could be successful
    The worry is though a coach normally implement style play from manager wants
    Hopefully limerick will learned from under twenty one win with the two man full forward line it's new change style at senior is needed
    You can't expect to win by doing the same thing over and over again that didn't work before
    Dublin and kerry are primarily example this

Kerry never liked a defensive style but adapted to win
    Dublin realised being romantic and adored by the media meant nothing last year when Donegal waltzed through them and gavin said it then he'd change and Dublin now are very defensive with best defence in the country
    Teams that win usually evolve from past mistakes
    Limerick have the players, what they need to do is to evolve
    Ryan could be success next year as manager if he learned from last year and evolve the team and tells next coach possession game is way forward and let him coach that
    Ryan could then brings he's other skill to the job
    The minor format hurling has been changed in no team met once can meet twice unless it's in munster final
    Limerick minor set up i don't think will be hugely successful next year
    Daly should been manager and appointed some one else as coach
    Daly best trait is he's great manage team people imo

I hear in the SFC tonight that St. Patricks v Pallasgreen was abandoned with 5 minutes to go due to a mass brawl on the pitch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I hear in the SFC tonight that St. Patricks v Pallasgreen was abandoned with 5 minutes to go due to a mass brawl on the pitch!!

Was it shameful scenes, all hell breaking loose, a schmozzle or all out war on the gaa scale of fights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Not surprised at all if this turns out to be true.
    There is a 'common denominator' here.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Lads why would anyone with a serious interest in Limerick hurling throw his hat in with tj when in all probability tj will be gone this time next yr why not hold on for a yr and the move in with the new manager prob Kiely.For me Tj now is a lame duck manager.I hope i'm wrong

• Advertisement

Interesting stat in the limerick leader, in the Munster hurling championship at all levels this year limerick won 7 games, tipp won 5, Cork won 3, Waterford won 2 and clare won 1, including the Munster club would bump the limerick total up more...a bit meaningless with the championship structures the way they are but shows a certain consistency of performance at all levels, just need to keep that level up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement