Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Interesting stat in the limerick leader, in the Munster hurling championship at all levels this year limerick won 7 games, tipp won 5, Cork won 3, Waterford won 2 and clare won 1, including the Munster club would bump the limerick total up more...a bit meaningless with the championship structures the way they are but shows a certain consistency of performance at all levels, just need to keep that level up

A useless statistic from the mouth of that clown Oliver Mann last night. Trying to be all ultra positive, deflecting attention away from the fact they had just ratified an incomplete management team. I can't stand that man, his carry on with Donal O'Grady was utterly disgraceful last year, and some of the stunts pulled in hiring managers at almost every level under his tenure as chairman are an embarrassment to this county. His speech upon retaining his position as chairman was a weird narcissistic rant which culminated in a bizarre personal attack on Martin Kiely.

The likes of Joe Quaid and Jerry Wallace and Donal O'Grady to name but a few have been shafted under his watch, and the appointment of 2 joint managers to the senior team and 5 to the intermediate team at the end of 2013 happened under his watch.

Our record in Munster this year is meaningless, Tipperary would point out that they won two of the four titles but unlike or chairman there will be nobody in county Tipperary using that fact to paper over the cracks, they won't consider this year much of a success in Tipp. Our under 21 success should not be used to paper over the cracks of the disaster that was our senior hurling team this year. The more time passes the more annoyed I feel about this year. Like a fool I drove all over the country following a poorly prepared team this year, my support for TJ and whether or not I renew my season ticket is basically now hanging on who is brought on board as the hurling coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

A useless statistic from the mouth of that clown Oliver Mann last night. Trying to be all ultra positive, deflecting attention away from the fact they had just ratified an incomplete management team. I can't stand that man, his carry on with Donal O'Grady was utterly disgraceful last year, and some of the stunts pulled in hiring managers at almost every level under his tenure as chairman are an embarrassment to this county. His speech upon retaining his position as chairman was a weird narcissistic rant which culminated in a bizarre personal attack on Martin Kiely.

The likes of Joe Quaid and Jerry Wallace and Donal O'Grady to name but a few have been shafted under his watch, and the appointment of 2 joint managers to the senior team and 5 to the intermediate team at the end of 2013 happened under his watch.

Our record in Munster this year is meaningless, Tipperary would point out that they won two of the four titles but unlike or chairman there will be nobody in county Tipperary using that fact to paper over the cracks, they won't consider this year much of a success in Tipp. Our under 21 success should not be used to paper over the cracks of the disaster that was our senior hurling team this year. The more time passes the more annoyed I feel about this year. Like a fool I drove all over the country following a poorly prepared team this year, my support for TJ and whether or not I renew my season ticket is basically now hanging on who is brought on board as the hurling coach.
    Gee was just pointing to an interesting if meaningless stat is all! like alot of stats...
    A few good points, the method of chopping and changing managers leaves a lot to be desired and there should be better procedures laid down for assessing manager terms...however when TJ got the new term after the 2014 semi there wasnt many in the county disagreeing, also Anthony Cunningham's term looked very bad in 2013/2014, this year? Well they'd be mad not to give him a chance to build on this year...did he just become a better manager?
    I'm willing to give TJ another chance this year because a) realistically who would you replace him with? And b) maybe he's got the ability to learn from last year and get a coach to implement a more evolved game plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Gee was just pointing to an interesting if meaningless stat is all! like alot of stats...
    A few good points, the method of chopping and changing managers leaves a lot to be desired and there should be better procedures laid down for assessing manager terms...however when TJ got the new term after the 2014 semi there wasnt many in the county disagreeing, also Anthony Cunningham's term looked very bad in 2013/2014, this year? Well they'd be mad not to give him a chance to build on this year...did he just become a better manager?
    I'm willing to give TJ another chance this year because a) realistically who would you replace him with? And b) maybe he's got the ability to learn from last year and get a coach to implement a more evolved game plan?

Oh don't get me wrong, it's not the stat or what you said that irritated me, it's who said it! In summary; Mehapoy good, Oliver Mann bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Our record in Munster this year is meaningless, Tipperary would point out that they won two of the four titles but unlike or chairman there will be nobody in county Tipperary using that fact to paper over the cracks, they won't consider this year much of a success in Tipp.

Very true indeed, and despite the fact we won the senior and minor all anyone in Tipp can talk about is how utterly incompetent TJ Connolly was in managing, and I use the term lightly, our U21's.

Hurling wise 2015 definitely a failure for Tipp, football a success, but that is no comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭lim4ev

when is the draw for the 16 championship on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Somehow a depleted kilmallock side won by 2 today.

No idea where doon go from here. will do a report tomorrow

must be terribly disappointing from a doon perspective thought they'd win this and to be honest i hoped they would as i like to see it going around doon are doing great work and its taking longer than i expected for them to make the break through.I honestly don't know where they go from here.

lim4ev wrote: »
    must be terribly disappointing from a doon perspective thought they'd win this and to be honest i hoped they would as i like to see it going around doon are doing great work and its taking longer than i expected for them to make the break through.I honestly don't know where they go from here.
    It goes to show that it takes time for players to mature physically, doon had what, 5 u21s playing, takes time for players like that to develop into dominant players at senior level, its a pity they couldn't have closed it out, would have given the championship a shot in the arm, looks like kilmallock against p'well or Nap in the final, hopefully patrickswell can pull something off...

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I honestly don't know where they go from here.

A bit dramatic there. Their best players are still very young, they're still a coming team.

It goes to show that it takes time for players to mature physically, doon had what, 5 u21s playing, takes time for players like that to develop into dominant players at senior level, its a pity they couldn't have closed it out, would have given the championship a shot in the arm, looks like kilmallock against p'well or Nap in the final, hopefully patrickswell can pull something off...

Yea I suppose I know they're still young but other teams have a lot of young lads too maybe it was a bit much for me to say I don't know where they go from here but no matter how young you are being defeated very often takes its toll.

I think its Nap V kilmallock now and adare/ahane v the well in the semis.I think they were down to be played as a double header in gaelic grounds next sunday whats the story now with the replay?

On another note when is the draw on for the munster snr championship next yr its normally early oct any one got an exact date?

• Advertisement

Doon really should have won this

Eoin ryan, robbie hanley were out for kilmallock. Also bryan sull couldnt play as he has work commitments and GOM played totally injured might have had 3 touches all game

Doon were 3 up at half time, Richie English, Pat ryan and dean coleman all playing well, dinny moloney got forward for 3 points and they really should have pushed on for the win.

Start of second half POB ghosted in for a goal to level things, and from there on kilmallock gutsed it out.

The conditions were awful and Philip O Loughlin thrived in the conditions and held the centre for kilmallock probably the most important player until going off with 5 to go with a bad looking hand injury.

English was excellent too but also got a heavy blow and was less effective for the last 15 mins.

Bryan sull off the bench and a hobbling GOM got late points to give kilmallock the win. Would say kil have no hope given the injuries if it is played next week.

English, Pat ryan and dean coleman were all good for doon. For kilmallock, POL, Aaron costello were excellent, Robbiw hanley and Jake mul mixed good and bad.
    Aaron costello should be with the intermediates next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Yea I suppose I know they're still young but other teams have a lot of young lads too maybe it was a bit much for me to say I don't know where they go from here but no matter how young you are being defeated very often takes its toll.

I think its Nap V kilmallock now and adare/ahane v the well in the semis.I think they were down to be played as a double header in gaelic grounds next sunday whats the story now with the replay?

On another note when is the draw on for the munster snr championship next yr its normally early oct any one got an exact date?
    October 8th and it's live on Rte
    Only really relevance is to get a semi final draw in a bye for any team to there is good as win the semi final you can take it easy for munster as tbh no team should take munster seriously based on its poor record in the all ireland championship
    Munster is only important in to get to the all ireland series but winning it unfortunately now is meaningless
    There is no real fear or should be between any teams in munster on any given day but imo the fear I have is while game may be close the standard may concieve to look good to some but the truth is against the kk of this world the standard is way off
    Tippeary have doubts over there new management, cork if the wrong candidate is picked while limerick it remains to be seen if they get a proven coach
    Clare if Kinnerk doesn't join its a huge loss to them
    Waterford seem so far unless things change to be ahead of others slightly on managment in they have a system however concerns remain will they actually change it a bit next year so all in all I think for the ist time in ages every munster county has some concerns regards there management on field of play
    When limerick announce there coach, cork there management and tippeary and clare there back room team things may change
    As it stands though all counties it seems need to make the right changes going forward to have good seasons next year
    What happens off the field in the next few weeks in management teams will have an influence on the field next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Balbec15

It took Kilmallock a long time to convert U21 titles to winning a senior title. Takes time. And the toughness or experience needed to close out tight games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

League fixtures for next year in hurling are
    Feb 13 Wexford home
    Feb 21 kerry kerry
    March 6th offaly away
    March 12th laois at home
    March 20th clare away

Football
    Tippeary in limerick Jan 31
    Longford away 7th February
    February 28th clare in limerick
    March 6th Kildare in Kildare
    March 12 westmeath home
    March 27 sligo away
    April 3rd offaly at home

There provision fixtures but last year provision fixtures didn't change
    There was talk the hurling league may change after next year but limerick shouldn't rely on that in to be sure have win league next division two next year and they have a good chance but away to clare is a tough game but good final test leading in the championship
    Limerick don't have to win the league but getting promoted has to be done and then ease off and peak for championship

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

danganabu wrote: »
    Very true indeed, and despite the fact we won the senior and minor all anyone in Tipp can talk about is how utterly incompetent TJ Connolly was in managing, and I use the term lightly, our U21's.

Hurling wise 2015 definitely a failure for Tipp, football a success, but that is no comfort.

And Tipp were bate out the Gate of Crokepark last sunday. Terrible performance from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Smith614 wrote: »
    And Tipp were bate out the Gate of Crokepark last sunday. Terrible performance from them.

Absolutely no arguemnt here, they were never at the races and were thought a lesson.

Preparing for a football AI by playing a hurling AI is impossible and hopefully as bit of cop on will come from this re the dual players, but thats not a debate for here I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

danganabu wrote: »
    Absolutely no arguemnt here, they were never at the races and were thought a lesson.

Preparing for a football AI by playing a hurling AI is impossible and hopefully as bit of cop on will come from this re the dual players, but thats not a debate for here I guess.

Even at minor level it cannot be done if a county have serious aspirations of silverware in sept. Fair play to Tipp tho they are the only county in Ireland making serious strides at football from a low base.,

Had to dig down a few pages to find the Limerick thread! Kilmallock beaten by a point by na piarsigh, peter Casey was supposed to be very good...Downes was missing...adare vs p'well in the semi, presumably next week? Have to fancy p'welk although they've been sitting on their hands for a few weeks, interesting to see the influence of the contrasting run ins will have.
    At this stage hoping p'well get through, would make for a very good final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Had to dig down a few pages to find the Limerick thread! Kilmallock beaten by a point by na piarsigh, peter Casey was supposed to be very good...Downes was missing...adare vs p'well in the semi, presumably next week? Have to fancy p'welk although they've been sitting on their hands for a few weeks, interesting to see the influence of the contrasting run ins will have.
    At this stage hoping p'well get through, would make for a very good final.

Ya Adare vs Patrickswell is next Sunday. Should be a cracker. Will be very interesting to see if Patrickswell can keep the momentum going after a few weeks off. If they can, they really could run riot. Griffin will be a danger man for Adare especially with the Pwell full back line lacking experience, with the exception of Barry Foley who is just lacking pace! The half back line for P'well of Carmody, Byrnes and Seanie O'Brien will be as crucial as ever and if they dominate the match as expected, it will have a big bearing on the result.

Adare should never be underestimated, which some could say Na Piarsigh did when they drew in the group stages. There's a lot of fight in that team but Hannon still hasn't been living up to his potential even in club championship.

Depending on how P'well start, it could be a tit for tat game up until the last 15 minutes or P'well will just come out firing and have it finished by half time. Not slating Adare but i'm that confident on this P'well team that I'd be absolutely shocked if Adare win this one. If you take into account the big scorelines P'well have put up and also look at the wide count, you'll see what I mean. Their ability to create chances through the genius of Cian Lynch and the ball carrying skills of the likes of Kevin and Seanie O'Brien is massive and if the can cut down on their wides, they'll win comfortably.

But as mentioned above, if P'well underestimate Adare or get caught up in the heat of the battle and lose their discipline, Adare could be right in the match and give the neutrals a great game to watch.

With my P'well bias hat on, I say the well by 9

I'd fancy the well too but am told that Adare have the indian sign over them but surely the well will be too strong.

If you went and rated all the current county players that played on sunday not one performance would have gone above 5 out of 10 it was v poor indeed.No atmosphere no crowd and worse of all no scoreboard what a joke

• Advertisement

Was also told casey and dempsey were the only two to impress

Was also told casey and dempsey were the only two to impress

Casey the best player on the field. Dempsey, once again in a match v Kilmallock, was the best midfielder on show.

Casey the best player on the field. Dempsey, once again in a match v Kilmallock, was the best midfielder on show.

I know there's the argument of not rushing players but is there a case for bringing Casey into the limerick senior squad next year, if only to get him physically prepared for senior inter county in the suceeding years?
    He's got massive potential in the next few years and should be given best s & c coaching straight away...

I know there's the argument of not rushing players but is there a case for bringing Casey into the limerick senior squad next year, if only to get him physically prepared for senior inter county in the suceeding years?
    He's got massive potential in the next few years and should be given best s & c coaching straight away...

I don't think so yet, as good as he is he's very small, the 21s and senior club will do him for a bit and he'll come in in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Joe Quaid set to take the reins at Kildare according to Rte Sport. Best of luck to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

U-21 Team of the Year announced - 8 Limerick

1. David McCarthy (Limerick)
    2. Liam Ryan (Wexford)
    3. Richie English (Limerick)
    4. Mikey Breen (Tipperary)
    5. Diarmaid Byrnes (Limerick)
    6. Barry O’Connell (Limerick)
    7. Jack O’Connor (Wexford)
    8. Darragh O’Donovan (Limerick)
    9. Pat Ryan (Limerick)
    10. Bobby Duggan (Clare)
    11. Cian Lynch (Limerick)
    12. Ian Galvin (Clare)
    13. Brian Molloy (Galway)
    14. Conor McDonald (Wexford)
    15. Tom Morrissey (Limerick)

and Richie English named Player of the Year.

2-24 to 8 points win for the well. Said earlier in the week that Adare could be finished off by half time and this was the case today.

Patrickswell were very good but Adare had no fight in them. Wayne Mac was decent in patches but Hannon may as well have not shown up.

Best players on the day were Byrnes, Lynch and Foley. Kevin O'Brien looked dangerous and won a lot of frees and a goal each for Thomas O'Brien and Lar Considine in the first half put Adare to bed.

Hopefully the well can do it now and in doing so, do it without drawing or losing a game for the whole championship

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Gutted for Kildimo/Pallas today, some sloppy goals killed us. At the start of the second half, we kept going for goals when a few points could have opened the gap out to 8/9/10 points. Instead Cappamore came back into it. In the end, they played the smarter hurling and deserved their win. They know how to play a short game out of defence well, and really choke an attack. Very disappointing though, the game was well within our grasp for long periods but didn't finish well.

As for the senior game, the Well were very impressive. Blew Adare away. Never a contest, they played some very nice hurling. A totally dominant half-back line, a hard-working forward line with some great scoretaking. Kelliher was knocking them over from all angles, Lar Considine ran riot inside- Gillane, Byrnes, Lynch, KOB & TOB were all firing over scores too. Adare just never got close to them, no pressure on the backs clearing the ball, no pressure on the forwards scoring, no puckout strategy, just looked very poor.

Hannon had a shocker, didn't look like an intercounty player. Lynch pulled the strings nicely but Nigel Foley & Jack Kelliher were two who really impressed. Carey's obviously doing something right, they'll give NaP a right oul rattle.

Didn't see that one coming to be honest the well were just superb but having said that Adare were woeful when is the final fixed for? i hope its next week and it looks like it could be a cracker i said that the well were dark horses this yr but didn't think they'd win it i'd still fancy Nap but wouldn't be surprised if the well shaded it.Byrnes was immense today absolutely immense and really looks like he's ready to step up for the green no6 shirt

• Advertisement

Didn't see that one coming to be honest the well were just superb but having said that Adare were woeful when is the final fixed for? i hope its next week and it looks like it could be a cracker i said that the well were dark horses this yr but didn't think they'd win it i'd still fancy Nap but wouldn't be surprised if the well shaded it.Byrnes was immense today absolutely immense and really looks like he's ready to step up for the green no6 shirt

Final on next Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement