Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Lads any place good for lunch outside the city centre with good parking etc... I tried upstairs in ardkeen and was impressed want go try someplace different now

O'Donnachas in Kilmeaden is always good whenever we go there, they serve basically everything and I think they serve food all day.. Plenty parking out there too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Avox wrote: »
    Lads any place good for lunch outside the city centre with good parking etc... I tried upstairs in ardkeen and was impressed want go try someplace different now

O'Donnachas in Kilmeaden is always good whenever we go there, they serve basically everything and I think they serve food all day.. Plenty parking out there too. :)
    Ah yes, holy cross is nice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Had lunch in Bodega today. Food was great. I had fish cakes and duck for main - both were delicious. My bf had duck spring rolls and mini burgers - lovely too. 3 courses for €25 each. Only downside was the screaming baby in the restaurant for almost the entire time we were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Ate in Emiliano's (yet again) on Thursday afternoon. As usual, I couldn't fault the food or the service. Up until we were finished dessert that is.

Once I've finished eating, I like to get the bill and get moving within a while but, by anyone's standards, we were left sitting there with our finished desserts in front of us for a very long time. Two waiters even had to serve tables right next to us. One of them looked at our plates three separate time but didn't clear them or anything. After the third time, I just thought "fcuk it, I'm not waiting anymore" and went to the counter to pay. As I did so, another couple did the same so I wonder if they had experienced the same problem.

They were up to their eyes so I'd say they were focussing on serving people rather than clearing up but it was still annoying. Lovely as always and good value with that one little annoyance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

That's normal enough for Emiliano's, I always get up and pay without waiting. Did they ever reduce their prices on the vat drop I wonder? I asked before and he said they needed to get the menus re-printed, and several weeks later it wasn't done so I just assumed they weren't bothering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Ate in Emiliano's (yet again) on Thursday afternoon. As usual, I couldn't fault the food or the service. Up until we were finished dessert that is.

Once I've finished eating, I like to get the bill and get moving within a while but, by anyone's standards, we were left sitting there with our finished desserts in front of us for a very long time. Two waiters even had to serve tables right next to us. One of them looked at our plates three separate time but didn't clear them or anything. After the third time, I just thought "fcuk it, I'm not waiting anymore" and went to the counter to pay. As I did so, another couple did the same so I wonder if they had experienced the same problem.

They were up to their eyes so I'd say they were focussing on serving people rather than clearing up but it was still annoying. Lovely as always and good value with that one little annoyance.

Why didnt you just ask them for the bill, yeah they should of cleared the plates but its not that hard to signal to them that you are looking for the bill and im sure then they would clear your plates as soon as because they then know you are leaving.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

S28382 wrote: »
    Why didnt you just ask them for the bill, yeah they should of cleared the plates but its not that hard to signal to them that you are looking for the bill and im sure then they would clear your plates as soon as because they then know you are leaving.

I tend to find when this arises in a restaurant, the staff avoid all eye contact with you and don't be near your table facing you. So either you shout out or try grab em by the shirt as they walk past.

Ill admit, I tend to prefer when they are closer to me and then ill ask after a while of waiting for them just to clear the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Just walk out. See how quick they are to spot ya then.

(joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

S28382 wrote: »

The opportunity didn't arise. As I said, one guy looked at our plates three times but they were mere glances. Due to the table we were at, there were no waiting staff passing. I wouldn't be shy about doing this, I can assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Was in Flame restaurant last night. Waitress told us that they are closing down after tonight. Another one bites the dust!

• Advertisement

Mulbert wrote: »
    Was in Flame restaurant last night. Waitress told us that they are closing down after tonight. Another one bites the dust!

That's such a shame, I really enjoyed it the last time I was there. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Mulbert wrote: »

Why are they closing, is it because they are not doing any business? I thought they were very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

from their facebook page
    FlameRestaurant Waterford
    Tonight is our last night open for business and we are taking orders until 9.30pm. If you enjoyed a meal here or had planned to try us out please pop in or call us on 051-870925 to book! Thanks to all our customers who have supported us and thank you to our brilliant staff who made Flame a fun and enjoyable place to work and eat! Onwards and upwards......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Such a pity. Nice place & really nice food.
    Rarely heard anything bad about it. That building must be cursed :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I can't believe it. Myself and the missus loved that place. :eek: I never heard a bad word about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Was down by Flame today, new chinese going in there according to removal lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

thomasm wrote: »

great write up for them & waterford & the lads in Harlequin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Just returned again from Little India on Parnell St. and once again enjoyed every mouthful. They have only been open a few months but are head and shoulders above the rest. Being from Welsh descent I have been spoilt for choice back home with Indian restaurants but this place is right up there with the best. The young guys serving and cooking are really pleasant without crowding you as some tend to do and the food from starters to dessert is absolutely top notch. I have been there four times, four different dishes and each time was a delight. Not wanting to put down the other Indians in town, I have enjoyed my meals in all of them but this place trumps the lot. Not only the best Indian in town but the best restaurant in town. I cannot recommend this place highly enough, and being a bit of an indian connoisseur I am well happy. Get down there tomorrow and get the arse burnt off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I went out to Chez K tonight and it was very good, food and service were top notch. I'll definitely go there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just returned again from Little India on Parnell St. and once again enjoyed every mouthful. They have only been open a few months but are head and shoulders above the rest. Being from Welsh descent I have been spoilt for choice back home with Indian restaurants but this place is right up there with the best. The young guys serving and cooking are really pleasant without crowding you as some tend to do and the food from starters to dessert is absolutely top notch. I have been there four times, four different dishes and each time was a delight. Not wanting to put down the other Indians in town, I have enjoyed my meals in all of them but this place trumps the lot. Not only the best Indian in town but the best restaurant in town. I cannot recommend this place highly enough, and being a bit of an indian connoisseur I am well happy. Get down there tomorrow and get the arse burnt off you.

I stopped in there to pick up a take away for a friend and the staff were lovely.

I later tasted the Saag Aloo and Bombay potatoes and they were amazing. It was so fresh and zingy, very high quality. Prettybig portions too so, well worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

It seems a lot of the restaurants in town only open for lunch on Sundays. Anybody have a recommendation of a restaurant for dinner on a Sunday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

It seems a lot of the restaurants in town only open for lunch on Sundays. Anybody have a recommendation of a restaurant for dinner on a Sunday evening?

Sabai is my Fav Sunday evening treat.....4 Course tasting menu for E30.....2 starters to share --- 4 mains.......best value and quality

Just heard the food critic Tom doorley on WLR FM. He has a restaurant guide, free with the Daily Mail on Saturday and he said that several Waterford establishments appear very favourable in the guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RumMonkey

Just called into the new Bellissimo at Ardkeen for a coffee with a friend. Told the waitress we only wanted a coffee before she seated us and she said that was fine. A good crowd was there but there were many empty tables. When we went to the til to pay the man (who I assume was the manager or owner) said, "in the future we'll only be serving food."

Now they have the right to have that policy but we felt he was rude and should have said nothing - especially after we asked the waitress first.

Not a big deal but we left with a bad feeling.

The new restaurant is nice but very minimalist. There were lots of children running around and we even heard a television (or something) blaring some children's programme in the corner. Felt more like a crèche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

RumMonkey wrote: »
    Just called into the new Bellissimo at Ardkeen for a coffee with a friend. Told the waitress we only wanted a coffee before she seated us and she said that was fine. A good crowd was there but there were many empty tables. When we went to the til to pay the man (who I assume was the manager or owner) said, "in the future we'll only be serving food."

Now they have the right to have that policy but we felt he was rude and should have said nothing - especially after we asked the waitress first.

The new restaurant is nice but very minimalist. There were lots of children running around and we even heard a television (or something) blaring some children's programme in the corner. Felt more like a crèche.

That's absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

That doesn't surprise me. At least your weren't "barred" like 3 elderly ladies one of whom is in my extended family after having lunch in the original cafe and your man wanted to charge them when they asked for hot water to dilute their very strong tea.

Unbelievable. I wouldn't go back there again if I were you. Plenty of other places that will be happy to have your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Does anyone know what Harlequin Cafe is like just up off Patrick St.? The exterior always looks so inviting and the way they have it decorated for Christmas is really cozy and inviting. Just wondering what kind of food they serve and whats the atmosphere like? Is it a quiet kind of a place filled with regulars or...? Personally I prefer a bit of background noise that comes with the hustle and bustle of a busy cafe but this places looks very laid back. Recommendations please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Harlequin Cafe is like just up off Patrick St.? The exterior always looks so inviting and the way they have it decorated for Christmas is really cozy and inviting. Just wondering what kind of food they serve and whats the atmosphere like? Is it a quiet kind of a place filled with regulars or...? Personally I prefer a bit of background noise that comes with the hustle and bustle of a busy cafe but this places looks very laid back. Recommendations please!

I'm always sucked in to Trip Advisor - so anytime i'm going somewhere my first port of call is to check out the site. At the moment Harlequin is number one restaurant in Waterford - so it must be doing something right.

The owner/manager is very friendly, but i just feel that it needs a better place for it - always seems very squashed if there's more than a few people in there.

Advertisement