Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

any one try cafe karma, seems to be open pub hours?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    any one try cafe karma, seems to be open pub hours?

Kafe Karma on the Quays? Doesn't open pub hours afaik, and opens from mid-week I think.

Lovely food anyway, very good service and good pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Was in Becketts this evening, food was nice as it normally has been any time I venture out that way, overpriced a little, 14.50 for a burger, service was good from one girl, always is with her, very friendly, always a smile and good at her job, the other girl, not so good, also as always but that only affected us when we were paying the bill as we had to wait for her to finish her text to attend to us :)

But the only real thing that bugged the hell out of me, the price of a glass of milk!

The final bill was this

Burger x 2 = 29.00
    Kids Saus + Chip = 5.00 (between 5-5.50 i think)
    Coke x 2 = 5.00
    Glass milk x 1 = 1.40

1.40! for a small glass of milk! only noticed after we had left and tbh, it has put me off returning, this is surely excessive?

I wouldn't consider myself a regular there, but had been there a few times over the last few months and never have I had an issue with the quality of food or anything like that, but the price of the glass of milk has bugged the **** out of me. Maybe I'm getting old?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

kryogen wrote: »
    Was in Becketts this evening, food was nice as it normally has been any time I venture out that way, overpriced a little, 14.50 for a burger, service was good from one girl, always is with her, very friendly, always a smile and good at her job, the other girl, not so good, also as always but that only affected us when we were paying the bill as we had to wait for her to finish her text to attend to us :)

But the only real thing that bugged the hell out of me, the price of a glass of milk!

The final bill was this

Burger x 2 = 29.00
    Coke x 2 = 5.00
    Glass milk x 1 = 1.40

1.40! for a small glass of milk! only noticed after we had left and tbh, it has put me off returning, this is surely excessive?

I wouldn't consider myself a regular there, but had been there a few times over the last few months and never have I had an issue with the quality of food or anything like that, but the price of the glass of milk has bugged the **** out of me. Maybe I'm getting old?
    Jesus! We charge .80 and I feel bad asking for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wsopchamp

Going to Casey's tomorrow for the first time,,Not 1 to eat out a lot but great to come across a thread like this that gives people an insight into eating out in the city.Toss up between Casey's and Flame and i will be visiting the other after all the nice reviews,,,Hope ye were all honest and its money well spent for me ;-).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

AdMMM wrote: »
    Jesus! We charge .80 and I feel bad asking for that!

Yeah same as!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Have been to Casey's a couple of times now, have to say the food is really good and anyone who I have been with has really enjoyed it too. One little gripe, service is a bit slow and there is one waitress in there who had a right puss on her both times we were there! Rest of them are lovely though.

Was in La Palma again two weeks ago for a birthday dinner and it was fab, love it in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

kryogen wrote: »

Burger x 2 = 29.00
    Coke x 2 = 5.00
    Glass milk x 1 = 1.40

If you think about it €2.50 for a coke is much more of a rip off. The price of soft drinks is ridiculous. The milk is over-priced alright and on a bill that size they shouldn't really charge anything but I'd say they're making a lot more on the coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Went to Azzuro on Sunday night, love that place, food top notch as usual, pizzas are the best around, really thin base and some amazing flavour from the fresh toppings... anybody who likes seafood should try the pizza de mare in there, cod, prawn, mussles, seafood sauce, its really impressive and tasty...... it was so popular in there that they ran out of food!!

Had a spot of dinner in the cove on Monday, am always really impressed with this place, nice menu with generous portions and delicious deserts. The chicken goujans in there are the best I've ever eaten, and I got a curry in there on Monday and it was beautiful, lovely taste with a bit of kick to it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Heading to Flame tonight, and i'm wondering has anyone had the ribs in there yet? I'm mad for a plate of ribs, but most places in Ireland usually only give you a plate of fat wrapped around a bone with a bit of meat on them...

I don't expect to ever get ribs like you do in America (99% succulent meat that falls off the bone!), but for the price i expect some meat!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The BBQ spare ribs in Maxim House are deadly. (for future reference)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, just back, and it's all thumbs up from me. Place is lovely, very easy to get relaxed in it. Staff were very welcoming, and seated straight away. Menu is extensive, great choice, and of course i went for the ribs. It arrived about 10 minutes later, ribs split into 3 with at least 15 bones inbetween altogether. Majority of it was meat, very very little fat. BBQ sauce was fantastic. Served with 3 huge onion rings in home made batter, corn on the cob smothered in butter, salted shoestring homemade chips, coleslaw and extra BBQ sauce.

First time in ages i finished a whole meal. Beautiful. Malteaser cheesecake was sa-ha-avage! Herself got a New York Chicken burger which was also described as beautiful (came with an interesting curry mayo). Chocolate Fudge pie was crazy!

Altogether, €40.15 (with 5% off). Staff were very friendly throughout, with one even taking a particular interest in our evening and recommending the desserts.

10/10 - Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Has Wongsongs closed down, No one answering phone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Went to Flame the other night...
    Good points: Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, very reasonable prices, nice layout.

Bad points: Left with plates on table for far too long (happened with starters,mains and desert) while staff walked passed the table all night as well as the manager. Empty pint glass was never collected.
    Food was nice but nothing special for me.

If they can get these things right then it could be a great place as i really like the selection and i'd like to see the place do well.
    I'd go back in there for lunch or just to grab something to eat if in town but if i was treating ourselves for dinner i'd go elsewhere...for now.

Why would a chinese close on good friday? lol idiots.

Happy Garden was open. Unfortunately. Got a take away from there and it was the worst I've ever experienced. I got cantonese duck and it was pure fat in a horrible sauce with onions everywhere. Nasty. Someone else got chips and chicken curry and the chips tasted like they had been cooked, left there for a while...and then fried again. Disgusting. Never will they get my custom again. nor should they get yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Went to the Munster last Sat night, had a great meal (four of us) and the place was packed. I had chowder starter (lots of fish but not too filling like chowder can be) and monkfish main which was lovely. Good atmosphere, really enjoyed it.

Slightly off topic (bit long, bear with me), I left Waterford City 4 years ago to move to Dungarvan (work related), I'm not a Waterford native so the amount of times I've been back back could be counted on one hand. My wife is Waterford City born and bred and misses the place. Anyway last weekend we went back for an overnight stay to treat 2 friends who looked after my wife after she had surgery recently. The female of the couple was born in Airmount hence the thread last week, this was the first stop on our trip.
    We stayed in the Tower, check in fast and the staff were very friendly.
    After dropping off the bags we decided to walk around the city and show the lads some of the sites. I was delighted to see so many cafes around Parnell Street and people outside enjoying them. There seemed to be a buzz around the city, some places closed that I knew but some new places open as well.
    Later after food in the Munster and watching the rest of the Munster / Leinster game we went to Katy Barrys, I like that pub but there seems to be a constant smell around the place. As my wife couldn't walk too far we went to the Shippes for one more before going back to the Tower for a quiet pint or so I thought, place was mobbed, barely got a seat. There was a brilliant atmosphere in there, people from all over the country (no Wedding).
    The lads we brought down loved it and are talking already about going back again. I know we're in difficult times but I was delighted they saw Waterford in such good light.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

JV's at the forum opened last night. Went down and had a great night. Food was lovely and not a bad price at €20 a head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Beeker wrote: »
    JV's at the forum opened last night. Went down and had a great night. Food was lovely and not a bad price at €20 a head.
    Did I hear right that's it the same guy behind The Hairy Pig that's doing JVs?

• Advertisement

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I hope to go there this weekend. Drink is normal Forum prices yes?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

AdMMM wrote: »
    I hope to go there this weekend. Drink is normal Forum prices yes?
    Nah they were cheaper, more like normal pub prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm pretty sure someone said you can buy wine in Next Door and bring it in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

^Seriously? The mark up on wine in restaurants is massive so that surprises me. great for customers though.

They probably charge you for opening it.

ziedth wrote: »
    ^Seriously? The mark up on wine in restaurants is massive so that surprises me. great for customers though.
    They probably charge you for opening it.

When that Divine restaurant was in there, that was the case. Go next door, pick a bottle, and there was a 5 quid corkage charge.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

When that Divine restaurant was in there, that was the case. Go next door, pick a bottle, and there was a 5 quid corkage charge.

Good idea in fairness. If you had a group going out and you fancied a bottle each or something you'd save a good few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Checked that out today with a friend who was there at the weekend and it's €5 corkage. Still not too bad. They had 4 bottles so €20 corkage. I'm not a big wine drinker but I'd imagine the wine you'd pay €20 for in a restaurant would cost you a tenner in an off license. If so, you'd save a fiver per bottle.

• Advertisement

It'll be great to relive the student days, of having a bottle of Buckfast with the dinner! :D

Advertisement