Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 thiadale06

new steak and seafood restaurant going in there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

My family went to Bodega for dinner tonight. We ordered fish cakes, chicken caesar salad and sticky chicken wings for starters, steaks for mains, meuille feuilles, tart tatin and creme brulee for dessert.

Everything was delicious and service was very good. My teenage sons loved it and think it's the best restaurant in Waterford so were well impressed on their first visit to Bodega.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

two of us went to the copper hen today for lunch, we wont be going back in a hurry,we and the next table asked was there anymore veg comeing and was told no.bottles of wine were over priced as far as we were concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

I would recommend the new kitchen out in Harneys of Dunhill,it's only open at the weekends but eaten there twice now and food is super, it's all local produce and priced very reasonably..usually a bit of crack in the bar there after as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

leg wax wrote: »
    two of us went to the copper hen today for lunch, we wont be going back in a hurry,we and the next table asked was there anymore veg comeing and was told no.bottles of wine were over priced as far as we were concerned.

Where's that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Where's that?
    in fenor.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Heading into The Fitzwilton Hotel tonight to Chez K's with 3 others for the 49euro dinner including wine for 2. Seems great value but will be interesting to see what the food is like.
    One of us is vegan so that usually scares the life out of most chefs.
    Will report back tomorrow to see how they look after us and deal with a Vegan (No Meat, Fish, Dairy, etc) .Usually never given a choice but yet expected to pay the same as the others paying the same price.

Hopefully we will get some good food, service and clean glasses (hate dirty glasses).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

Did you let them know that a Vegan was dining with you at the time of booking it? they might have better options available if the chef knows in advance.

south wrote: »
    Did you let them know that a Vegan was dining with you at the time of booking it? they might have better options available if the chef knows in advance.

Yes I gave the kitchen 28hrs notice that there was a vegan in our group.
    Always do.

No excuses so. Hope you enjoyed your meal.

• Advertisement

south wrote: »
    No excuses so. Hope you enjoyed your meal.

Out of 10 it was a 5.5.
    Had a table booked for 8.30 and when we walked into the restaurant is was totally full (About 80 people) but our table was ready and all four of us were given our menus. Bread and water arrived 2minutes later.

We all choose the 49euro 4 course meal and bottle of wine for 2 (super value)

When the waitress came to take our order 3 of us ordered from the menu from a good selection of starters, mains. The vegan was given NO CHOICE as usual, which in my opinion is not on.

Starters arrived and one of us was given the wrong starter but he is not the type to complain so settled for it. The vegan was given a basic salad with no dressing...!!! I had ham hock terrine which was quite nice.

Mains followed, 2 8oz steaks, a mushroom risotto and vegan got mixed veg cous cous which was quite nice. I ordered my steak med-rare and it was med-well and not warm, but not the end of the world. pepper sauce was horrible and we got 4 CHIPS each... sides of boiled potatoes and cheese cauliflower which was nice. Vegan got side of only caulifower with no potatos.
    The mushroom risotto was way over cooked but the flavour was not bad.

Desert 2 chocolate brownies with ice cream which were nice and rich, selection of ice cream was again ok. Our vegan guest got a poached pear on a plate with 4 raspberries, the pear was totally overcooked and tasted like mush.

1 tea and 3 coffee's finished off the meal.
    Oh the house wine is an Argentinian merlot which was not good (would give you a bad hangover) but we upgraded the second bottle to a spanish rioja which only cost another 4 euro and was much nicer.

For 102 euro for 4 people for 2 bottles of wine and a four course meal is amazing value and even if the food is not top notch you are only paying 15euro each for a four course meal so you can't go wrong.
    I would go back but I would tell management that things could be improved a little which would make a big difference. I'd also go on a week night to give the chef a chance to make a little more effort and get things bang on.

5.5 out of 10 (which is not bad for someone as fussy as me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 feelingwoof

I happened to be in Chez Ks as well last night, there was a big crowd, looked like it was the day afters of a Wedding.
    I was pretty disappointed overall, i was waiting on my mains for about 10mins after the other people on my table had been served! I can fully understand slow service when there's a crowd there but they could at least hand out the dinners at the same time!
    A gripe i also have is you don't stick with the same waiters, it's nearly a different one for each part of the meal.
    It's good value and the food was good but overall i'm not keen on it as a restauraunt and i'd rather pay more for a better experience. There's alot they can improve on down there, there wasn't even any music playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Eastenders on saturday Night... 10 out of 10 as usual, great restaurant with vibrant atmosphere... lovely staff and top class food!!!! Fair play to the guy in there running it, I remember going in there back in mid 07 when it opened and he didn't have have the place painted or kitted out but the food was still top class..... fast forward 4 years and he has turned the small unit into the best indian in town in my opinion compared to the other indians who have 2 or 3 times more floor space......

Out of 10 it was a 5.5.
    Had a table booked for 8.30 and when we walked into the restaurant is was totally full (About 80 people) but our table was ready and all four of us were given our menus. Bread and water arrived 2minutes later.

We all choose the 49euro 4 course meal and bottle of wine for 2 (super value)

When the waitress came to take our order 3 of us ordered from the menu from a good selection of starters, mains. The vegan was given NO CHOICE as usual, which in my opinion is not on.

Starters arrived and one of us was given the wrong starter but he is not the type to complain so settled for it. The vegan was given a basic salad with no dressing...!!! I had ham hock terrine which was quite nice.

Mains followed, 2 8oz steaks, a mushroom risotto and vegan got mixed veg cous cous which was quite nice. I ordered my steak med-rare and it was med-well and not warm, but not the end of the world. pepper sauce was horrible and we got 4 CHIPS each... sides of boiled potatoes and cheese cauliflower which was nice. Vegan got side of only caulifower with no potatos.
    The mushroom risotto was way over cooked but the flavour was not bad.

Desert 2 chocolate brownies with ice cream which were nice and rich, selection of ice cream was again ok. Our vegan guest got a poached pear on a plate with 4 raspberries, the pear was totally overcooked and tasted like mush.

1 tea and 3 coffee's finished off the meal.
    Oh the house wine is an Argentinian merlot which was not good (would give you a bad hangover) but we upgraded the second bottle to a spanish rioja which only cost another 4 euro and was much nicer.

For 102 euro for 4 people for 2 bottles of wine and a four course meal is amazing value and even if the food is not top notch you are only paying 15euro each for a four course meal so you can't go wrong.
    I would go back but I would tell management that things could be improved a little which would make a big difference. I'd also go on a week night to give the chef a chance to make a little more effort and get things bang on.

5.5 out of 10 (which is not bad for someone as fussy as me)

Going in again tonight. Will be interesting to compare to last week.... report to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Saw it getting a lick of paint today...hmmmmmm

Its going to be Caseys's Steakhouse according to the Waterford Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Its going to be Caseys's Steakhouse according to the Waterford Today.

Did they give any indication of when it's due to open.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Did they give any indication of when it's due to open.

Their FB page seem to indicate mid November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭decies

First time in l, atmosphere tonight beef nice and tender, desert lovely , yes people might complain about size of portions, but I thought the 3 courses were very tasty indeed .

decies wrote: »
    First time in l, atmosphere tonight beef nice and tender, desert lovely , yes people might complain about size of portions, but I thought the 3 courses were very tasty indeed .

Super review.. llol

Going in again tonight. Will be interesting to compare to last week.... report to follow

Went back to Chez K's for the second week in a row for the 49euro 4 course meal for 2 and bottle of wine.

Super value.
    The last time we had a few issues and I mentioned them to the manager when I phoned to book this time.
    My wife is vegan so she usually never gets a choice.
    This time when we arrive she is handed her own Personal menu (only the second time this have ever happened and the other time was in a 5* Star restaurant that cost 200euro. So hats off to the Chef for going to such a big effort. That is what you call service.

She got a cauliflower soup with truffle oil for starter and it was 10 out of 10.
    A good veg curry for main followed by a fantastic rice dish for desert.
    Thank you management for making her feel like she deserves good food like the rest of us.

Myself and the other two diners had chicken satay salad, ham hock terine and soup for starters all of which were very nice.
    For mains I again had boring steak as did the other male, both were will cooked and the sauce was improved on our last visit.
    The other guest had mushroom risotto which was also nice.
    2 Brownies for desert and a really great night out for 25euro each, amazing.

Please people if your not happy tell the management and then they have no excuses the next time your in. It worked a treat for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The old limeleaf is opening again this December as Flame.

From their facebook:
    Flame Restaurant will be bringing a taste of New York, and other parts of the world, to Henrietta Street, Waterford. If you think you'd fancy the likes of Spicy Wings, Spring Rolls, Gourmet Burgers, Steaks, Fajitas, Pastas, Champagne Cocktails, Wines and Beers served up in a cool and vibrant atmosphere - please check us out.....Opening in Early December 2011!

Good luck to them!

I noticed that on Facebook today. Sounds good. Just in time for the Christmas market. I hope it works out for them .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Mrs. Old Gregg and I went out for a meal last night for the first time in Waterford in ages. We strolled down to La Fontana on the quay. We both went starters, pastas, deserts and the house white.The food and wine were excellent and the lot came to €65. It's the closest I've found to the atmosphere you'd get at a good Trattoria in Italy, great food & friendly banter without the pretensions I've found in too many Italian restaurants in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Waterford laddy

was in Sabai tonight for the €30 tasting menu - i asked for no veggie stir fry and got another main (jungle curry instead)
    2 starters to share - Duck, Tiger Steak, Thai red chicken curry & mixed jungle curry with rice
    platter of mixed desserts to share!!!!

great meal at a good price, fast friendly service, hats off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Went to La Taverna recently

very disappointed in the quality of the food, the service, and because of both of those, the price

Had a pasta dish with mushroom,italian sausage and something else i cant remember in a cream sauce. very disappointed in the quality, my date had exactly the same and hers was poor too. The waiter did not come back to check on us for at least 10 minutes and when we said we were already finished with just a few mouthfuls taken he didnt say anything or ask what was wrong he simply cleared our table and brought me back the bill!!

Will not be returning, had heard poor things about the place but wanted to give it a go myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

kryogen wrote: »

very disappointed in the quality of the food, the service, and because of both of those, the price

Had a pasta dish with mushroom,italian sausage and something else i cant remember in a cream sauce. very disappointed in the quality, my date had exactly the same and hers was poor too. The waiter did not come back to check on us for at least 10 minutes and when we said we were already finished with just a few mouthfuls taken he didnt say anything or ask what was wrong he simply cleared our table and brought me back the bill!!

Will not be returning, had heard poor things about the place but wanted to give it a go myself.
    Out of interest, did you pay the bill? I'm very much of the mind that if the food is poor then the restaurant doesn't get my money. Places that hand out poor quality meals won't learn unless it hits them at the tills I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rnrgal

old gregg wrote: »
    kryogen wrote: »

Out of interest, did you pay the bill? I'm very much of the mind that if the food is poor then the restaurant doesn't get my money. Places that hand out poor quality meals won't learn unless it hits them at the tills I reckon.

God I have to agree that place was horrendous when I was there the worst cooked steak imaginable..there was 6 of us nobody could finish their food and we were never asked why nobody hardly ate their food..we paid and ran out and will never return..I know we shouldn't have paid..lesson learned

Some severely mixed reactions to La Taverna so...If you look through this thread you'll see a lot of people raving about the pizza. i suspect that's mainly because of the novelty value of the scissors that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Some severely mixed reactions to La Taverna so...If you look through this thread you'll see a lot of people raving about the pizza. i suspect that's mainly because of the novelty value of the scissors that comes with it.
    It has nothing to do with the scissors, their pizzas are gorgeous, best I've ever had in Waterford anyway.

• Advertisement

They're nice alright, but similar to the pizzas you get in most italian restaurants, which are far superior to the majority of the take away ones. What i mean is, it must be the scissors that is memorable for most people.

Advertisement