Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Found the same the last time in was in la palma and the same when I was in Amelianos the last time. Both seem to have dropped their standards and maybe even using cheaper ingredients - at least that's what it appeared like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

went to la palma 2 weeks ago , 4 of us, food so so so bad unreal. cost 200 and we even refused to pay for one main. wrote letter of complaint 2 weeks ago to manager and owner and still no reply, not very good customer service one would say. keep ur money folks. service great but poor poor quality food

In what way was the food bad?

I haven't been there in about a year. I always found the food nice. I did think it was expensive for what you get. The Palma were fairly unlucky in when they bought the building, so probably have a massive overhead.

What did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mileyjessie

i ordered fillet steak asked for medium got rare
    herself got duck which was unfit for human consumption and was retuned
    and other 2 got fish which was dry and bland
    one starter was prawns ...5 small ones 13euro....eh seriously...
    wine was over 100e for 4 bottles...eh seriously...

all in all i can only sau 1 good thing staff lovely

after that id suggest johnnie walkers or the kfc as an alternative at least that food is tasty and cheap and doesnt try to pretend its fine dining

ps johnie walkers and the kfc rock ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ive been in La Palma twice in the past 2 months and on both occasions everyone was more than happy with the food. The early bird was great value for the food we got which I thought was a very high standard. I'll definitely be going back over Christmas.

i ordered fillet steak asked for medium got rare
    herself got duck which was unfit for human consumption and was retuned
    and other 2 got fish which was dry and bland
    one starter was prawns ...5 small ones 13euro....eh seriously...
    wine was over 100e for 4 bottles...eh seriously...

all in all i can only sau 1 good thing staff lovely

after that id suggest johnnie walkers or the kfc as an alternative at least that food is tasty and cheap and doesnt try to pretend its fine dining

ps johnie walkers and the kfc rock ha ha

Shame you didn't like it. (they can be a bit stingy with the prawns, but I always enjoyed my food there).

+1 for Johnny Walkers. They have definitely upped their game on the burgers, and are cooking them fresh and frying the onions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

dayshah wrote: »
    Shame you didn't like it. (they can be a bit stingy with the prawns, but I always enjoyed my food there).

+1 for Johnny Walkers. They have definitely upped their game on the burgers, and are cooking them fresh and frying the onions.

Another example of improved customer service because of the recession,before the burgers and onions were microwaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

Another example of improved customer service because of the recession,before the burgers and onions were microwaved.

Yeah, I lived in mayors walk for a year. Couldn't believe how everyone was raving about the place. Bloody microwaving anything that wasn't chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

blaa85 wrote: »
    Yeah, I lived in mayors walk for a year. Couldn't believe how everyone was raving about the place. Bloody microwaving anything that wasn't chips.

They only microwaved burgers. Everything gets the hot oil treatment.

For fish and chips there's nowhere better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

tonc76 wrote: »
    They only microwaved burgers. Everything gets the hot oil treatment.

For fish and chips there's nowhere better :)

That included chicken fillet burgers though. put me off the place completely, but i still bought a bag a chips now and then as I lived directly accross the road from it. the ques outside at 5pm were mad

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Went into Imperial Garden during the week for the first time since the summer and the place has gone downhill big time. Chicken was shiny and bland, probably had been reheated from the fridge a few times and the sauce was watery and very greasy. Our two meals were very poor. I remember seeing them advertising for a new head chef a few months ago so probably has a lot to do with it. Anyone else have similar experience or was it an "off night"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Went here with 3 workmates last week mainly because it would be quiet and last time I eat here the food was AAA1.

We booked for 4pm good few around in the bar dining, not busy enuf to open Chez K's.

3 of the lads one a foreign national who never tasted turkey b4 all got the turkey n ham.

I went for the Salmon.

It was a disaster, the portions of turkey n ham were small and looked as if they were half dead while my salmon looked as expected but it didn't taste great and was laid on a kinda a bap made of dry crumbly breadcrumbs with only tough green beans to accompany it.

The tiny pudding was served on a long rectangular plate with a streak of what looked like cream but tasted like samaliona (cant spell that)

The service was **** and it took the best time of 90 minutes to finish our so called meal. No one said a word at the time as after all it is Christmas and no one wanted to be seen to spoil things even more by complaining.

Anyone know if this place is in receivership or Nama 4**** my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You're lucky danjo. I stayed in the hotel last night and was not allowed into the restaurant because of a private party.

Ate in Flame Restaurant on Henrietta Street. Excellent food and service and reasonable pricing. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Beer Baron wrote: »
    You're lucky danjo. I stayed in the hotel last night and was not allowed into the restaurant because of a private party.

Ate in Flame Restaurant on Henrietta Street. Excellent food and service and reasonable pricing. Highly recommended.

WTF!!

how the hell can that be allowed like?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

kryogen wrote: »
    WTF!!

how the hell can that be allowed like?

No idea but it's Christmas party time so we were told "You must finish your dinner by 6:45pm so we can accomodate the party"

The Christmas party had a DJ and Karaoke. It went on till 2:30am so when I descended from the room for a smoke the place was bedlam. You could hear it from your bedroom as well.

The hotel / restaurant is not suitable for a Christmas Party really.

Worse still we couldn't eat in the bar either because they finished up at 7pm instead of 9pm because the kitchen would be busy dishing out Christmas dinners.

Told the hotel of my disatisfaction but they didn't really care. The money they got from the party was naturally more than we would have spent.

Shame as it means I will not go back to the hotel again for food or an overnight stay as if they don't treat me like a guest today why should I go back for more of the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Beer Baron wrote: »
    No idea but it's Christmas party time so we were told "You must finish your dinner by 6:45pm so we can accomodate the party"

The Christmas party had a DJ and Karaoke. It went on till 2:30am so when I descended from the room for a smoke the place was bedlam. You could hear it from your bedroom as well.

The hotel / restaurant is not suitable for a Christmas Party really.

Worse still we couldn't eat in the bar either because they finished up at 7pm instead of 9pm because the kitchen would be busy dishing out Christmas dinners.

Told the hotel of my disatisfaction but they didn't really care. The money they got from the party was naturally more than we would have spent.

Shame as it means I will not go back to the hotel again for food or an overnight stay as if they don't treat me like a guest today why should I go back for more of the same?

was that the Fitzwilton, member you mentioned a while back you where staying there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

hey all, planet spice running a good daily deal - basically 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 sundries, tea/coffee for 22 quid.... excellent value, went in there myself on Sat nite and had a smashing meal, mushroom pilau rice was top notch

http://www.pigsback.com/megadeals?rf=121644642

get a further 10% off buy using discount voucher MEGACHEESE10

also referral code for 121644642

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Went here with 3 workmates last week mainly because it would be quiet and last time I eat here the food was AAA1.

They do German food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 amylou23

Have a bad review for the new steakhouse in town, Casey's steakhouse, where the Bistro used to be. Was there for a friend's birthday and none of us got our steak the way we ordered it, i.e. well done, rare, etc. One of the guys didn't get his steak until ten minutes after the rest of us and I discovered only after the meal that I was given a sirloin steak instead of a fillet steak (which I ordered). The waiter who took our order wasn't particularly friendly either, although some of the girls afterwards were absolutely lovely. Overall, it was okay - but not smashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

amylou23 wrote: »
    Have a bad review for the new steakhouse in town, Casey's steakhouse, where the Bistro used to be. Was there for a friend's birthday and none of us got our steak the way we ordered it, i.e. well done, rare, etc. One of the guys didn't get his steak until ten minutes after the rest of us and I discovered only after the meal that I was given a sirloin steak instead of a fillet steak (which I ordered). The waiter who took our order wasn't particularly friendly either, although some of the girls afterwards were absolutely lovely. Overall, it was okay - but not smashing!

How did you not know you got sirloin instead of fillet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 amylou23

Never eaten steak before from a restaurant, not a big steak eater, so i just tucked in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

amylou23 wrote: »
    funny that I also ordered fillet and got a sirlion

Had lunch in Flame yesterday. It was really nice. Food was excellent, service was great, and the bill was easy on the pocket. No complaints!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭tobey

had lunch in athneaum house hotel yesterday and for 23 quid we got a four course meal and for a six euro supplement could of got steak, and food amazing too. but service wasnt great but that could of been cause of a big table sitting as we arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Trotter wrote: »
    Had lunch in Flame yesterday. It was really nice. Food was excellent, service was great, and the bill was easy on the pocket. No complaints!

Same. Was there last night. Really nice food and pleasant service.
    Only problem we had was their card machine was on the fritz last night and no small plates for the bread which I found strange :/

One thing I should've said but didn't in Flame was that they should give tea in a pot! I hate when tea comes in a cup with a teabag. Water isn't that expensive. I'll definitely go back though. It was lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Was in Flame tonight. I was disappointed with my starter - Spring Rolls, 1 single spring roll cut in two, and the roll was a straightforward frozen one, the kind you get at any deli counter.

However, the missus loved her starter of chicken wings, and for mains we both had burgers and fries with a side of onion rings. They were gorgeous, really tasty and huge portions as well.

Would definitely go back again, but would probably skip the starters as the mains are enough just on their own. Really good, friendly service too. Nice relaxed place that I think would be really suited to a large group booking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Same. Was there last night. Really nice food and pleasant service.
    Only problem we had was their card machine was on the fritz last night and no small plates for the bread which I found strange :/
    I was there New Year's Eve. I really enjoyed the meal, but also noticed the lack of side plates. I got soup, and found it odd that there was nothing to butter your bread on.
    As we were leaving, we were sent back to our table, and we were all given a glass of champagne to celebrate the new year. I thought it was a very nice touch. I'll definitely be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

It's an old saying, but so true, that the little touches can make all the difference! I like the sound of that place, where is Flame? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

batm!ke wrote: »
    It's an old saying, but so true, that the little touches can make all the difference! I like the sound of that place, where is Flame? :confused:
    It's on Henrietta street. It's where Limeleaf/Lemongrass used to be. Up the side of S-Security on the quay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Went to flame the other day found it very strange not having side plate for bread food was ok but I probably won't go back.

Advertisement