Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva HD Combo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Galsat

Hi, does any one know why when box is turned on 3 out of 5 times the picture/remote freezes and the power has to be turned off and on again to box to get box working again. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Galsat wrote: »
    Hi, does any one know why when box is turned on 3 out of 5 times the picture/remote freezes and the power has to be turned off and on again to box to get box working again. thanks

I can't say I've ever had that problem with the box, what firmware are you running on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Galsat

Hi, im not to sure as i installed it for a friend of a friend and that is the only complaint he has. thanks:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jay5296

You'll find your firmware version in the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Galsat wrote: »

Just came across your post, I'm having a similar problem. It happens when you switch quickly between satellites, only a reboot solves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Just came across your post, I'm having a similar problem. It happens when you switch quickly between satellites, only a reboot solves it.

What SW do you have. I think the most update is SW 025.
    I had a problem with loosing Irish digital channels - I would plug out box every night and on powering box next morning Irish channels may be gone.

I got SW 025 from Ferguson web site and loaded onto box, this problem is now sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

Hi Guys,

just wondering anyone having problems with the HD channels causing a reboot, when i go to channel4 hd it always reboots.
    driving me nuts.

kind regards
    fergald.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Lads, what format does the recording come out as? Is it .dvr by any chance? I've an openbox and I sometimes see tools for a ferguson been used on a openbox

No, the format for the Ferguson is ".ts",
    so it will play in VLC .

I have the Edison Combo, and it records in ".dvr"
    but it only seems to play in the free software program AVS Media Player

To make matters more confusing, any videos that i have recorded in ".avi" on my external hard drive will not play on the Ferguson, keep getting some error about codecs missing,
    but any film recorded on my external hard drive in ".vob" plays perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 girt4s

Hi, I have one question about video files from USB. I would like to know is it possible to run a XviD encoded video on this device. When I try to do that, it says that "Video codec is not supported". Is there any software updates that could help? And if there is, could someone post a link how to install it to this device? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭victory10

girt4s wrote: »
    Hi, I have one question about video files from USB. I would like to know is it possible to run a XviD encoded video on this device. When I try to do that, it says that "Video codec is not supported". Is there any software updates that could help? And if there is, could someone post a link how to install it to this device? Thanks.

I don't think there is a solution for this problem.
    Perhaps the new Ariva models do support the xvid format.

• Advertisement

There are several channels on this transponder on Hot Bird 13E, but for some odd reason scanning doesn't pull in any channels.
    http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/orangepolska.html

transponder Details:
    12,476 H DVB-S2 8PSK 27500 FEC 3/4 but with no luck.
    Also tried to setup the channels using the editor, but no results.
    I would appreciate it if someone who has this model can check if the receiver has these channels already in the channels list.
    Thanks for any help on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭monkeycork

i can't record on a external hard drive. ariva 120 combo using WD Elements usb 2.0 NTFS file system with external power. plug the USB into my desktop it works perfect. plug it into the usb slot in the ariva, nothing happens. in the REC menu the only option is time setting. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It can only record in FAT. You will have to reformat.

According to the Ariva 120 manual

15.1 Storage info
    This menu displays basic information about the connected USB memory device. An additional
    option allows you to format the memory device. Press the yellow button in order to select the
    file system in which the device is to be formatted. Two options are available: FAT and NTFS.
    Both file systems are supported correctly, however due to the lack of limitations regarding the size of written files and greater reliability, we recommend using the NTFS system.

Therefore NTFS should be OK.
    What is the size of the HDD? In the Ariva HD Combo there was a size limit of 750GB (but only FAT 32 is supported for this model).

I think your problem could be due to something else.
    Try to disable the CD Drive, if you see something like this when you look at the HDD using your PC and Windows Explorer or My Computer.
    I had this problem with my WD Essential 3.5" External.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Does this come with a cable to connect to the dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

Does this come with a cable to connect to the dish?

There's no such wire with the box, you'll have to buy your own with f-connectors at the right length to suit.

Another quick question, have been searching around to see if anybody has gotten this box to work with a universal remote control along with trying a couple myself and have come up with nothing. Is there any such remote out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

actua11 wrote: »
    Another quick question, have been searching around to see if anybody has gotten this box to work with a universal remote control along with trying a couple myself and have come up with nothing. Is there any such remote out there?

RCU 500 codes and key button schematic
    http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/faq/rcus/153-rcu-500-codes.html

How do I get saorview on this box?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

How do I get saorview on this box?

Can you be more specific? Its a satellite and digital terrestrial receiver that receives Uk freesat channels using a dish and saorview channels using an aerial

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Can you be more specific? Its a satellite and digital terrestrial receiver that receives Uk freesat channels using a dish and saorview channels using an aerial

I have rabbit ears connected to the box but when i do a terrestrial scan it wont pick up saorview. Is this because the tv doesn't have mpeg5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I have rabbit ears connected to the box but when i do a terrestrial scan it wont pick up saorview. Is this because the tv doesn't have mpeg5?

No its most likely the rabbits ears is not picking up the saorview signal.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    No its most likely the rabbits ears is not picking up the saorview signal.

It works in the living room with the rabbit ears connected to a tv with mpeg5. A case of moving the rabbit ears around id say.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's MHEG5 that's lacking on the Ariva, which is middleware for digital Aertel, redbutton services if they even happen, etc. For general viewing, Saorview uses MPEG4 for video, which the Ariva has of course.

I think an indoor UHF aerial would suit better than "rabbit ears" which are more suited to VHF signals.

See here and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vindiesel

Firmware

Hi,any advantage in upgrading from V2.15B8 to latest version?
    regards vindiesel

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

vindiesel wrote: »
    Firmware

Hi,any advantage in upgrading from V2.15B8 to latest version?
    regards vindiesel

I have done this upgrade and the only difference I can tell is that when you press the exit key on the remote, the recent play list comes up which is annoying considering that a button already exists on the remote for this.

I was hoping the new upgrade would sort out when after a recording all the DTT radio channels disappear. Highly annoying it is for me anyways.

Also my other one of these boxes will freeze constantly if left on a HD Channel for a period of time. But I have not upgraded that box yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

+1 highly annoying that recent playlist now appears on exit button.

Looking forward to resolution to the loss of information when recording as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rpm1966

Hi, I have an Ariva 200 Combo. I use it as a PVR and for piping an analogue signal to another room via a Triax device and it does so quite well.

However, I seem to have some quirky problems with the PVR function.

Usually when I record something it is saved on the USB drive with the wrong name - ie it is saved with the name of the previous program rather then the one that I want to record (presumably the EPG lags a bit).

I have resorted to changing the time of each recording to start a minute later (eg 17:01 instead of 17:00). But that is a pain to have to do.

Is there another solution?

I tried changing the time on the box by a minute but it reverts to the correct time periodically - particularly on power-up.

I have Ariva HD Combo and I usually change the name of the recorded program. Just use rename (yellow button), delete the name that is given with Clear (red button) and input a new name (limited to 14 characters).
    I think there is a possibility to give a scheduled program your desired name from the schedule menu. I never tried this, but in your case it might be worth trying, especially for EPG scheduled recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Hi lads just a question in regards to epg/pvr function on ariva 120. info for saorview channels - is there any? ie ability to see current/future programme schedule and set to record a-la upc box. Secondly, will a usb pen drive work for recording, or is it just hard-drives? Lastly, while recording can you still watch all channels on your box (ie both saorview and satellite channels)?And if the answer to any of these questions is no does anyone know a combo box that will perform all these functions??? Maybe i'm just being wishful! Many thanks in advance

• Advertisement

manual_man wrote: »
    Hi lads just a question in regards to epg/pvr function on ariva 120. info for saorview channels - is there any? ie ability to see current/future programme schedule and set to record a-la upc box. Secondly, will a usb pen drive work for recording, or is it just hard-drives? Lastly, while recording can you still watch all channels on your box (ie both saorview and satellite channels)?And if the answer to any of these questions is no does anyone know a combo box that will perform all these functions??? Maybe i'm just being wishful! Many thanks in advance

I have Ariva Combo HD, but I can share my PVR experience.
    1 - The EPG (where available by the broadcaster) does show the programming for several days ahead and I can record a specific program by selecting it and then click the OPT button (Options button).
    2 - A USB flash can record, but I will not be able to use it for time shift as I need a larger size. Perhaps with a 16GB it should be OK, but I hate to see the LED flashing all the time as the USB connector is in the front also the flash can get an unintentional bashing.
    With external HDD, the USB flexible cable makes more user friendly.
    You have to be very carefull with external HDD. You must always uninstall before disconnecting it from the system.
    3 - You can record and watch another TV channel, provided they are both in the same transponder. No problem with SD channels, but this didn't work for HD. Perhaps the Ariva 120 is better than my older model.
    I was told that this works well for all DTT channels, but I had problems going back to the recorded TV channel so I use this only for the Sat SD channels.
    Hope this helps.

Advertisement