Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Zyxel Router or connection (Eircom)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

i agree.
    Sorry, i didnt explain myself correctly there.

by support i didnt mean the lads we deal with on the phone/support forum. Rather than the people who make the decisions on getting the modems, replacing modems etc and who has the means to get the company to hold there hand up and say yes theres a problem with our zyxel modems and either replace them, get new firmware for them or issue a €50 credit to everyones account ( eircoms price on this modem) so the customers can purchase a modem/router that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 msprim

I got in touch with Eircom's forum and the guy said everything was fine with my line and i shouldn't need to replace the ZyXel modem :mad: - i said there are more updates available for the modem on the ZyXel website and i couldn't update my router and he said i would have to ring technical support for that - i haven't bothered as yet.

I may have an old Netopia router i had from Eircom before, can i use this router for my current broadband connection and if i can, do i need to change any settings on the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

msprim wrote: »
    I got in touch with Eircom's forum and the guy said everything was fine with my line and i shouldn't need to replace the ZyXel modem :mad: - i said there are more updates available for the modem on the ZyXel website and i couldn't update my router and he said i would have to ring technical support for that - i haven't bothered as yet.

I may have an old Netopia router i had from Eircom before, can i use this router for my current broadband connection and if i can, do i need to change any settings on the router?

Lol, mostly they just refer people to tech support. Why use the forum at all?

You can use your old netopia. It should just work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 msprim

Lol, mostly they just refer people to tech support. Why use the forum at all?

You can use your old netopia. It should just work.

I went to Eircom's forum before i read this thread - plus after reading this thread it was going to be interesting to see what they were going to say ;)
    Which wasn't much after all :D

But i am glad i can use my old Netopia router - i found it this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

No it doesn't.
    on the zyxel if you change ur security settings from wpa to wep this eliminates the constant timeouts.

I have been battling with Eircom over theis exact issue also since April when my Netopia died and they sent out this yoke to replace it, ever since, I have not had one whole day without disconnects despite the following:

3 Eircom Engineer calls to my house/exchange to 'test the line' even though I told them that was fine as nothing was up before the router was changed.

At least 15 calls to Broadband Support with an average wait time of 5-10 minutes to speak to a 'Technical Support' representitive, each and every one of which asked me to do EXACTLY the same steps as the previous ones, I guess for this 'problem' they have a standard set of steps which they use to 'help' :confused:

I requested on 5 seperate occasions that they supply me with a replacement Netopia router which I maintained never had an issue, I was told they do not supply Netopia routers to anyone any more, only Zycel?!?1 :rolleyes:

Since then, I used our adverts.ie to source an old working Netopia wireless router for a tenner and have used that with NO PROBLEMS ever since (for the last MONTH)

I had queried the Eircom technical representitive about when it would be that Eircom would accept that the issue was entirely a hardware/firmware issue with these inferior Zycel routers and what they were prepared to do if we were to 'prove' that the issue laid with these units, strangely enough they wouldn't comment on this.

I think it is awful that in order to get a consistent signal and connection ratio I had to dip into my own pocket to get hardware capable of providing the 'service' I am supposedly paying Eircom for. I am none too happy with them and were it not for some work obligations where it is required to use Eircom's service I would be gone to another provider by now, As it is my contract has expired with Eircom and I can leave whenever I please, this was also one of the points they used when they told me that if I wanted a new router I would have to PAY THEM 50 quid more or renew my contract ... what a bunch of wa#@ers, you try to stay Irish but the Irish companies screw you more than any other methinks .... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

ok so we can all agree that these routers eircom give now are crap why not just get a new one then all the problems will go away if you have the money of course ;) tbh a new one wont cost that much and then at least your heads wont be recked by constant issues with the zyxel..i still use my old netopia modem for UTV internet and its great never gives any problems at all :D

but still its a complete joke that they give people these zyxel the wireless range really sucks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Über Micro PCs

jay93 wrote: »
    ok so we can all agree that these routers eircom give now are crap why not just get a new one then all the problems will go away if you have the money of course ;) tbh a new one wont cost that much and then at least your heads wont be recked by constant issues with the zyxel..i still use my old netopia modem for UTV internet and its great never gives any problems at all :D

but still its a complete joke that they give people these zyxel the wireless range really sucks !!
    Thats what I did ;).I got a DG834G off adverts for €20 and have had zero issues since.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

i have the same issue with this router ...it just wont work & has never worked ..yet eircom continue to bury their head in the sand and refuse to admit it. they refuse to even come & collect it :(
    still getting a steady 12mb on my old router (i'm paying for 24):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

im voting with my feet and leaving eircom as soon as my 1 year runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Daire84

Hey guys,
    So after all the crap we have all been through together, i thought i had it sussed and fixed, but no...
    It is still timing out regularly and at crucial moments no less. It is driving me buts at this stage. So i managed to find another old modem, its another zyxel (p-600) issue, so i am gonna try it out and see how it plays out!
    The only thing is now, i have set it up, logged into 192.168.1.1 and logged in as admin, BUT i can only see my status screen... I cannot see any options to change any of my settings, so i am basicly working off an unsecure modem for the modem. Iv googled it and i can only see people telling me what iv already done, but to me, following those steps still leads me to a lone status screen with no admin options!
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I just want to setup a password...
    Thanks in advance!

PS Eircom seriously suck...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Daire84 that happened to me too well I think it's the same thing; - that you couldn't get into the Sub-fields to edit any Settings. I could have wrote about it earlier in this Thread actually if ya take a quick look back, not sure if I did or not. But I think what I was doing wrong was either 1)when I was logging in and as-ya-do forgetting the password lol and subsequent messing about then, - meant I inadvertently lol changed the correct password and so ended up with a new password and it didn't dawn on me that I had actually gone and changed it lol so take note and remember what your entering in as the password, or, other thing it might be - not sure which of the two; - is 2)I wasn't entering the right password to get into my page the page that'd let me go into the sub-fields and edit settings, but instead I was leaving password blank or entering default password which just brought me into the default page where you can't get into sub-fields and edit Settings. Maybe this is what you are doing? Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Daire84

Daire84 that happened to me too well I think it's the same thing; - that you couldn't get into the Sub-fields to edit any Settings. I could have wrote about it earlier in this Thread actually if ya take a quick look back, not sure if I did or not. But I think what I was doing wrong was either 1)when I was logging in and as-ya-do forgetting the password lol and subsequent messing about then, - meant I inadvertently lol changed the correct password and so ended up with a new password and it didn't dawn on me that I had actually gone and changed it lol so take note and remember what your entering in as the password, or, other thing it might be - not sure which of the two; - is 2)I wasn't entering the right password to get into my page the page that'd let me go into the sub-fields and edit settings, but instead I was leaving password blank or entering default password which just brought me into the default page where you can't get into sub-fields and edit Settings. Maybe this is what you are doing? Hope this helps. :)

Thanks a mill Confuseddotcom...
    I am not entirely sure what i did but i managed to get into the admin settings.. When i was going to the log on page i was just clicking log in and not entering a password as there was already one in the highlighted..
    So after reading your message i wrote in the default 1234 password and it then brought me to a new setup page.. from there i could change the settings to my liking...

Sooooo... In all i believe i am sorted, i havnt been getting any resetting nightmares since..
    But i am not up on modems and i dont know how they differ when it comes to DL/UL Speeds...
    The modem i have seems to be an old model and i am not sure how i can test or measure if there is much difference in Speeds. So if anyone has any suggestions they would be welcomed.

Thanks again guys! And thanks again Confuseddotcom!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Im thinking of picking up this router to replace the zyxel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00318BN54/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

what to you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

Griffin87 wrote: »
    Im thinking of picking up this router to replace the zyxel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00318BN54/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

what to you think?

im looking at getting the same one. can someone also recommend a range extender to match the product.
    thanks
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 37 scottishriver2

Does anyone no what the best settings for this fu###n godforsacken pain in my balls zyxel router is, i use utorrent alot and i have had this router for nearly a year now but never used it cause i have heard alot of negative things about it but my other router netopia broke and i have to use it.
    After setting up port forwarding on it i started downloading a movie and low and behold after 3min my internet connection stopped and i have to switch the router of and on again:mad:.
    so if no one has got settings for this fuc**n thing can somone suggest a cheap replacement for me that will help forgot to say i use it for my ps3 too.:D

Godforsaken pain in my balls router lol:D:D:D

This Thread turnin out to be a great virtual Shrink for all of us stressed out by this crap piece of technology lol!! :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

yea i spend my days looking at blinking green lights hoping for a bit of internet

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

I've been using the Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 router (Anyone else have this?) for about two months now and it's litarally driving me insane! Constant connection drops and barely anything works with this ****e - firmware updates, port forwarding, connecting to other wireless devices (PS3 [Getting NAT Type 2 when I should be getting NAT Type 1], 360, laptops).

Also, I've read in the thread that Eircom send out more of these crap routers if you ask for a replacement, so does anyone know of a better router? Preferably one that can get me a stable connection and a NAT Type 1 connection on the PS3.

So many people are having problems yet Eircom does nothing?! I honestly can't believe they can get away with crap like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭anto2009

netgear routers work great i am using one at the moment with no drops at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

anto2009 wrote: »
    netgear routers work great i am using one at the moment with no drops at all :)
    which onewould you recommend?
    how do you configure it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

cork_south wrote: »
    which onewould you recommend?
    how do you configure it?
    I'd like to know too!

Folks some light entertainment for temporary stress relief for ye here!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 scottishriver2

i got my hands on 2 routers one is a netopia 2247 nwg and one is a netgear dg834g v4 anyone no what one is better for dowloading of utorrent and for the ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Orson100

Hi, I am jumping on this thread from this one due to the large amount of contributors here on the off-chance that some more info has come the way of anybody since the last post.

I am not optimistic however, clealry the issue appears to be with the hardware.

As per my post, my disconnects are prompted by what appear to be regular and full unrequested physical resets of the router.

Is this what is or was happening to the people affected by these disconnection events? Maybe my problem is slightly different in nature?

Whatever happens, looks like a call to Eircom is unavoidable. It's a completely Lose/Lose situation for all concerned in any event, what with the lost productivity caused by the fault itself as well as the couple of hours spent trouble-shooting and researching the issue, capped off by another hour (if I am lucky) explaining the issue to Eircom call centre in the hope that I can wrangle a non-Zyxel box worth a mere fraction of my lost time from them.

Does anybody know if they have any non-Zyxel boxes at the moment?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Über Micro PCs

Orson100 I posted earlier about my "solution".
    Forget Eircom they will not help you.
    I bought a DG834G off adverts.
    It cost me €20.
    I pay about €70 pm for internet from Eircom,a one off payment of €20 to solve this problem seems fine to me.
    For settings thank Ethernet in This Post
    I would maybe prefer to constantly nag Eircom until they do what is right and replace their POS router or at the very least allow firmware upgardes but it will never happen.
    Look at the whole eircom wep key generator debacle I think their answer to that was to send out a letter to people telling them what to do.
    A useless effort that will fall on the deaf ears of the non thech savvy.
    Eircom are a joke,I had no choice but to choose them as my ISP when I moved house but as soon as my years contract is over im gone.
    Good luck.

Uber perhaps you are right, spending time engaging with Eircom re their defective hardware is probably not cost-effective and unlikely to affect their stance one bit; I'll source one myself. Thanks for links for settings, this will save me some digging.

Got one of those Eircom Netopia routers from a colleague today who had one going spare. WAN settings still in flash, took about 30 minutes to set up and re-connect all of my WLAN devices.

Ah the simple pleasure of a router that stays working for more than 10 minutes at a time... and better still, no engagement with Eircom.

Thanks for the resource, big help in progressing to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anyone having a problem with Eircom tonight? Every 5-10 mins I have to reset the fcuking router (Zyxel) and then it works. Repeat a million times.

Really pissing me off now tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

That_Guy wrote: »
    Anyone having a problem with Eircom tonight? Every 5-10 mins I have to reset the fcuking router (Zyxel) and then it works. Repeat a million times.

Really pissing me off now tbh.

If you are having constant disconnects always a good idea to check your snr to see if it has decreased. Also are you using wireless or ethernet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Does the v3 zyxel work with 24mb eircom?

Advertisement