Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Zyxel Router or connection (Eircom)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 entertainers

I have a macbook and I think its conflicting with my pc and windows laptops on the router, I solved the problem with this simple fix;

Go to your router homepage (192.168.1.254)
    enter your password (probably broadband1)
    go to Network - Wireless LAN - click on the More AP tab - click active on ZyXEL02 (you might also want to click on modify to add a password)
    You now have a second wireless signal that can that is a lot more reliable.
    Im not sure if this effects your internet speed but its better than having the connect drop constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Orson100

Hi,

For those who may still be experiencing difficulty with Zyxel router, the following may be relevant.

A friend of mine asked me if I had a spare router, so being the masochist that I am, I dug up my Zyxel again and have configured it up again for testing, same DSL line, and so far it's been up for over 48 hours with no resets.

Here's the sole difference: So I've substituted the Zyxel power supply with another 12V PSU but this one delivers 1.66A.

Question: could it be that the supplied 1A power supply was not delivering enough juice in 1A to keep the Zyxel happy (and then possibly only under certain operating conditions: e.g. is more power required the further you are from the exchange, I am pretty much at the outer limit)?

It's definitely worth considering for anybody who's still having problems, remember in selecting a PSU, Voltage Out has to be 12V, but you can supply as much current (A)mps as you like because the router will only draw what it needs.

Orson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Orson100 wrote: »
    Hi,

For those who may still be experiencing difficulty with Zyxel router, the following may be relevant.

A friend of mine asked me if I had a spare router, so being the masochist that I am, I dug up my Zyxel again and have configured it up again for testing, same DSL line, and so far it's been up for over 48 hours with no resets.

Here's the sole difference: So I've substituted the Zyxel power supply with another 12V PSU but this one delivers 1.66A.

Question: could it be that the supplied 1A power supply was not delivering enough juice in 1A to keep the Zyxel happy (and then possibly only under certain operating conditions: e.g. is more power required the further you are from the exchange, I am pretty much at the outer limit)?

It's definitely worth considering for anybody who's still having problems, remember in selecting a PSU, Voltage Out has to be 12V, but you can supply as much current (A)mps as you like because the router will only draw what it needs.

Orson.

Have we a Layman's Translator in the house please ??!! :confused::o:D Apologies not into plumbing or Electriciany-stuff or engineering hehe :D

Somebody mentionned about changing from WPA to WEP. Is WPA not meant to be more secure than WEP though?
    Ps: I noticed that I posted already that I didn't think WEP was there in the Security Mode List with the few WPA ones, well it's there now. I wonder should I be a rebel and chance changing it over to WEP but then am worried about security and Hackers etc. etc. :(

I can't believe I'm back on this Thread again. :(:( My connection is absolutely diabolical tonight. It was such a great great improvement for the time-outs to improve from every half an hour to every 2 hours44minutes or so. But I don't know what's going on with it all day, - it seems to be dropping every bloody 15 minutes. Need a punch-bag right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Thanks for the tips on changing the all lease times/idle times etc to 9999!!

Similar to many others i was very happy with my netopia router until it gave up the ghost before christmas and i then i got the zxyel piece of crap and been tearing my hair out ever since.

For example i could never get my iphone to play radio streams without cutting out every few minutes and i could never get connected to newstalk's app for some reason. I had to just turn off wifi and leave it on 3G. I havent being able to play call of duty for any reasonable length of time since xmas either :mad:

However this fix seems to have resolved these issues for me! Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

hi

WEP
    seems to me that changing the discussed setting to 9999 solves the big issue for a lot of people (ie my parents).

Apple TV, NAS backup drive etc
    BUT the router does not seem capable of allowing through traffic in a SLIGHTLY more complicated setup (in WEP or WPA mode).

i bought a LaCie 1GB Network Attached Storage (NAS) for backing up my laptop and mac. it refused to work no matter what i did, even though i could ping it successfully! borrowed a UPC Cisco router, bang, worked in seconds.
    i have heard people having the same issue with Apple TV. i also have have to downgrade to WPA security in order to get my Logitec Squeezebox Boom (internet radio with bells) to work.

the difference in the UPC equipment was dramatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 el kabong

I have a macbook and I think its conflicting with my pc and windows laptops on the router, I solved the problem with this simple fix;

Go to your router homepage (192.168.1.254)
    enter your password (probably broadband1)
    go to Network - Wireless LAN - click on the More AP tab - click active on ZyXEL02 (you might also want to click on modify to add a password)
    You now have a second wireless signal that can that is a lot more reliable.
    Im not sure if this effects your internet speed but its better than having the connect drop constantly.

Great tip entertainers - I'd struggled for several days with my setup, a Windows 7 laptop with built in wireless, and a Windows 7 desktop which used a wireless USB adapter. The laptop worked just fine, and the desktop worked equally well if connected to the router using an ethernet cable. However, when using the wireless USB adapter, I couldn't get more than 300k download speed with the desktop, even when the laptop was not connected to the router, and the router had been restarted. I tested my USB adapter elsewhere and it worked just fine, and a second USB adapter that worked elsewhere gave me the same problems.

I followed your suggestion, and having the two of them on separate APs works a treat - I'm getting the same bandwidth on the desktop as I do on the laptop now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Daisy Stringer

Feck's sake, Eircom nearly had me persuaded to re-wire my whole house! So glad to find it's not me, it's them.

Connection dropping a couple of times a night, replaced the router once already, same story. Using a Macbook pro and an iPhone on wifi. Many, many calls through their (frankly rubbish) broadband support line, still no joy.

How the hell are they getting away with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

trev44 wrote: »
    hi

WEP
    seems to me that changing the discussed setting to 9999 solves the big issue for a lot of people (ie my parents).

Apple TV, NAS backup drive etc
    BUT the router does not seem capable of allowing through traffic in a SLIGHTLY more complicated setup (in WEP or WPA mode).

i bought a LaCie 1GB Network Attached Storage (NAS) for backing up my laptop and mac. it refused to work no matter what i did, even though i could ping it successfully! borrowed a UPC Cisco router, bang, worked in seconds.
    i have heard people having the same issue with Apple TV. i also have have to downgrade to WPA security in order to get my Logitec Squeezebox Boom (internet radio with bells) to work.

the difference in the UPC equipment was dramatic.

just got an old Belkin router from a friend. all problems gone. the eircom netopia router is simply substandard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I got the Zyxel modem from eircom yesterday and this is the speed I'm getting:

1221870946.png

I'm supposed to be on the 8MB unlimited download package but it's nowhere near that. I also keep getting disconnected from Xbox Live while I'm playing Black Ops and FIFA 11. Is the Zyxel router causing this?

I'm thinking of just upgrading to the 24MB package. Will it make a difference? Or should I try changing to a different modem first ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Hi,

We got Eircom BB around a month ago and have been having the same problems as everyone else seems to be having with the same Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 modem/router and was thinking of changing the firmware to see if that will help?

The thing is that I have firmware version "V3.70(BOE.4)D0 |08/23/2010" while the latest version on the Zyxel website is version 3.40 and was released in 2009.

Should I change it and if so will I be able to change back to the original 2010 version?

We have had connection problems ever since we got Eircom BB.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

jamescd wrote: »
    I got the Zyxel modem from eircom yesterday and this is the speed I'm getting:

1221870946.png

I'm supposed to be on the 8MB unlimited download package but it's nowhere near that. I also keep getting disconnected from Xbox Live while I'm playing Black Ops and FIFA 11. Is the Zyxel router causing this?

I'm thinking of just upgrading to the 24MB package. Will it make a difference? Or should I try changing to a different modem first ?

I was on the 8mb package and generally got speeds of around 6.5mb. Since "upgrading" to the 24mb package I'm getting speeds of 1.5mb and constant disconnects. Sometimes my connection syncs at 15mb , half an hour later it syncs at 1mb. I would go to a different isp if it were at all possible to be honest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I was on the 8mb package and generally got speeds of around 6.5mb. Since "upgrading" to the 24mb package I'm getting speeds of 1.5mb and constant disconnects. Sometimes my connection syncs at 15mb , half an hour later it syncs at 1mb. I would go to a different isp if it were at all possible to be honest.

If you are getting constant disconnects that is usually a sign of low snr and also a sign that your line may not be able for the faster speed.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Anyone thinking of increasing their speeds on dsl should always make sure that their line can handle the speed first.

dub45 wrote: »
    If you are getting constant disconnects that is usually a sign of low snr and also a sign that your line may not be able for the faster speed.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Anyone thinking of increasing their speeds on dsl should always make sure that their line can handle the speed first.

Yes, my snr has dropped considerably since I upgraded my package. Before I upgraded it had been fine, I never got disconnects and I got consistent speeds. I upgraded only because I was offered a free upgrade from Eircom if I consented to a one year package. They assured me that my line was capable of a minimum of 15mb consistent connection.Instead now my iPad, iPod and other devices have been rendered almost useless because my wifi is so poor. I'm going to look into canceling my package tomorrow if my twelfth call to Eircom in one week is unsatisfactory.

How do I do this ? Do I just ring Eircom and ask them if my line can handle 24MB ?

I'm getting sick of the extremely slow speeds + constant disconnects now and I've only had this router for over 3 days. I've been looking at adverts for a new/used router because I'm lucky to even finish a game of FIFA/Black Ops without getting disconnected :mad:

jamescd wrote: »
    How do I do this ? Do I just ring Eircom and ask them if my line can handle 24MB ?

I'm getting sick of the extremely slow speeds + constant disconnects now and I've only had this router for over 3 days. I've been looking at adverts for a new/used router because I'm lucky to even finish a game of FIFA/Black Ops without getting disconnected :mad:

Yes just ring up and ask them to check for you.

I had an engineer out who fitted a new main phone socket for me and it has increased my snr margin but I'm still getting disconnections and am averaging 5-6Mb on speedtest despite the modem now syncing at 15MB (the highest my line would handle). I used to get 6.5mb on the 8mb line with the netopia router. I'm still not happy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes just ring up and ask them to check for you.

I had an engineer out who fitted a new main phone socket for me and it has increased my snr margin but I'm still getting disconnections and am averaging 5-6Mb on speedtest despite the modem now syncing at 15MB (the highest my line would handle). I used to get 6.5mb on the 8mb line with the netopia router. I'm still not happy.

The best way to know what your line is capable of is to get the line stats yourself from your router. And remember you wont get anywhere near 24Mb unless you are pretty close to the exchange and have a good line.

And remember the faster the speed the more pressure it puts on your line and particularly the snr.

The best way to know what your line is capable of is to get the line stats yourself from your router. And remember you wont get anywhere near 24Mb unless you are pretty close to the exchange and have a good line.

And remember the faster the speed the more pressure it puts on your line and particularly the snr.

These are my stats. Are they good ,bad or indifferent ? I live quite near the exchange.

eircom broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 15360 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 25 dB /12 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9 dB /17 dB

Here's mine:

DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 1312 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 60 dB /31 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 17 dB /24 dB

Although I don't really know what those numbers mean, I can still pretty much tell that my stats are crap :o Will upgrading to 24MB do me any good with those stats ? And how do I find out how far I am from an exchange ? I'm in Lucan btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Upgrading to 24Mb won't help based on your stats your line can handle a max of 3Mb ..
    Altough its only set to just over 1Mb maybe that is your max?
    In order to get 24Mb your line must be able to handle the higher download rate which sadly yours doesn't .
    Is your router plugged directly into the telephone socket in the wall or is there a splitter being used for a telephone and broadband?
    If it isn't connected on its own try plug it in by itself and if your line stats improve and if they do this will mean your splitter is faulty.

Well I'm currently signed up to their 8MB unlimited download package, shoud I just downgrade it then since I'll only get 3MB max anyway ? Actually I've done several speed tests and the highest I think was just under 2.5 mb/s. And yeah I'm using a splitter, I'll try plugging it directly to the socket tomorrow and see if that improves things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Oh right your actually on the 8Mb package my god the speed eircom have your line set to is terrible the figure 1312kbps download speed on your line stats mean that your line is set at 1.3Mb max.

Yeah try tomorrow to plug it directly in and see if their is any change no guarentee that it will improve but in alot of cases a dodgy splitter can cause problems.

You could always ask over at the talk to eircom section here on boards if they can do a line test for you to see what your max speed is..

If its still bad with the splitter removed i would move down to the 3Mb package as there is need to pay for 8Mb and only get 1.3Mb.

Let us know how you get on.:)

Switched Zyxel modem for an old Thompson one from a friend yesterday, perfect connection, no interruptions. Looking forward to phoning Eircom later on to ask where they want their recycling dropped off & offer to wrap it around an engineer's neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ARGURIOS1

Well thank god its not only me. I dont know how many times Ive been on to Eircom since Nov but its more than a dozen times. I'm on my 2nd Zygel router and I've had a CE out to me twice. He has replaced wall socket my connection continues to drop, As I work from home I notice it a lot...somedays it can drop maybe 10/15 times...other days it might not drop at all. I can assure you that its no fun having to reconnect 10+ as400 sessions every 20/30 mins. I've tried every recommended solution I could find on here and although some seemed to work, the problem always came back. After receiving a survey from Eircom about their customer service, I finally lost the plot and sent a nasty (but not over the top) email to the customer care dept who lodged a complaint for me. They came back with a 80 euro refund for my downtime, while this really does not to help fix the issue, it does allow me to go buy a new router/modem so Im hoping this will eventually fix my problem. Anyone got any good recommendations for a new router/modem?.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

I'm at my wits end right now, I swear to Christ. It's litarally impossible to do anything with this pile of horse crap seeing as it's dropping the connection every two minutes. I know for a fact that it's the router and not my connection because the router I had before this Zyxel one worked flawlessly.

Can someone please recommend me a good wireless router? One that actually WORKS?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Magror

ger101 wrote: »
    I'm at my wits end right now, I swear to Christ. It's litarally impossible to do anything with this pile of horse crap seeing as it's dropping the connection every two minutes. I know for a fact that it's the router and not my connection because the router I had before this Zyxel one worked flawlessly.

Can someone please recommend me a good wireless router? One that actually WORKS?

I really think its the timeout settings Mine has been fine since I set the timeouts to as lengthy a period as possible

Magror wrote: »
    I really think its the timeout settings Mine has been fine since I set the timeouts to as lengthy a period as possible

I changed mine to the maximum and it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Changing from WPA to WEP sorted the timeouts on my windows machine, however my iPhone always times out. I don't think the zyxel and apple products go well together.

I'm thinking of getting a netopia online.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

Magror wrote: »
    Been a week since I tried that and the connection still drops, so that didn't work. Thanks anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Can this modem be used as an extender to an old netopia eircom modem? Without connecting the 2 with a Ethernet cable like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

These are my stats. Are they good ,bad or indifferent ? I live quite near the exchange.

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 15360 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 25 dB /12 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9 dB /17 dB

get rid of the zyxel, your line can handle more speed, u would have to ring eircom to get them to up your speed profile aswell, its set to 15mb i think

they have set increments that they can put it up by

u can operate with 6db SNR margin and the dsl will not drop, if you had a better modem it would squeeze up your sync rate to 17ish i would suspect

Advertisement