Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB - Router Zyzel P-660HW-T1 v3 Keeps Restarting

Options
  • 31-12-2010 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

NOt sure if this is Wireless or BB issue so went for BB subforum.

I recently got an Eircom NGB line in, served by the Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 router (FW V3.70(BOE.4)D0 | 08/23/2010). Best speed due to distance from Exchange is 1MB and lucky to get it at all.

My Router reboots itself from time to time for extended periods. I have timed the interval between such reboots by observing the DHCP Lease Obtained times between successive reboots. There are always 7 minutes give or take a few seconds between each, suggesting a cyclical/timed (timeout/retry?) event rather than a spurious hardware failure. I believe that this constant might be very significant to somebody more knowledgeable on these matters than I.

The problem tends to present at random on occasions when no new devices have been introduced to the network.

I have not begun any in-depth investigation / process of elimination as yet because I was hoping that somebody might be able to assist with some pointers as to how best to proceed, or possible cause for the issue.

The problem is presenting as I type, and it did earlier also but on that occasion, did not present for a period of about 2.5 hours following a reboot of my laptop (possibly coincidental I think, and is it possible that a wireless device on the network can unintentionally cause the router to cyclically reboot in this manner?)

Does my firmware need upgrading, doesn't appear to be anything on Eircom support about it but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, their search engine is cr*p? Could the problem be external, quality issue on the line? Can the DSL 'line' send a reboot signal to the router for whatever reason??

For what it's worth, I am going to reboot my laptop again and will update later.

Any suggestions or advice in the meantime would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Orson.

Edit 31/12/2010 9:25: Rebooted PC last night, went to bed before checking. Resumed from standby this morning, router fine. Still by no means conclusive that my PC is causing the router re-start but unable to rule out yet. As I don't know what is triggering the adverse behaviour, I'll just have to sit tight and wait for the next bout (it will happen) and keep a close log of my actions prior to same in case there is a link.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Orson100 wrote: »
    Edit 31/12/2010 9:25: Rebooted PC last night, went to bed before checking. Resumed from standby this morning, router fine. Still by no means conclusive that my PC is causing the router re-start but unable to rule out yet. As I don't know what is triggering the adverse behaviour, I'll just have to sit tight and wait for the next bout (it will happen) and keep a close log of my actions prior to same in case there is a link.

Can you swap routers with a neighbour or just borrow one from somebody for a while to see if having a different router makes any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Orson100

Okay thanks for suggestion: I guess that's the logical next step in the absence of any theories on a quick fix :) I'll try that, I've got a D-link DI-254 here that I'll set up and monitor.

I'll update later for the benefit of anybody who might be having similar difficulties with the Eircom router.

P.S. I have seen a couple of unflattering reviews of the Zyxel box (including, perhaps tellingly: "Very hard to write 'pros' for a modem that keeps rebooting..."): http://www.retrevo.com/s/Zyxel-P-660HW-Wireless-Routers-review-manual/id/3097bh248/t/1-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

P.S. I have seen a couple of unflattering reviews of the Zyxel box (including, perhaps tellingly: "Very hard to write 'pros' for a modem that keeps rebooting..."): http://www.retrevo.com/s/Zyxel-P-660HW-Wireless-Routers-review-manual/id/3097bh248/t/1-2/

And there's this thread too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just as a matter of interest what are your line stats?

Hi,

Still having this maddening issue, both PC users in the household have now reverted back to O2 Mobile Broadband (top product!) which we had luckily retained.

As I type, I can see that my wireless connection is doing its 7-minute trick, dropping and re-connnecting, then I switch over to the Zyxel admin page and confirm that the system uptime has reset back to zero since the last time, confirming the router reboot.

PC reboot does not have any effect on the issue it seems. Also, occasionally, router might last longer than 7 minutes but will eventually reset. Since my last post, I had 25hours+ uptime which is an epic uptime in the current context.

My line stats are below, I don't know how to interpret them but I would expect them to be pretty useless given the distance from the exchange. Again, does anybody know whether the exchange can request a remote reset of a router for any reason?

I guess I'll just have to call Eircom during the week anyway, replacement router would seem like a logical next step, presumably they would facilitate this?

Maybe I'll try a different PSU on it first though, maybe with a higher power rating just in case, you never know.

Cheers
    Orson.

noise margin downstream: 170 0.1db
    output power upstream: 110 0.1db
    attenuation downstream: 635 0.1db

noise margin upstream: 310 0.1db
    output power downstream: 155 0.1db
    attenuation upstream: 315 0.1db

• Advertisement

And oh yes, that DI-254 router that I was going to swap in, that's just a standard wireless router, not an ADSL router so not suitable for swapping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hi,

Still having this maddening issue, both PC users in the household have now reverted back to O2 Mobile Broadband (top product!) which we had luckily retained.

As I type, I can see that my wireless connection is doing its 7-minute trick, dropping and re-connnecting, then I switch over to the Zyxel admin page and confirm that the system uptime has reset back to zero since the last time, confirming the router reboot.

PC reboot does not have any effect on the issue it seems. Also, occasionally, router might last longer than 7 minutes but will eventually reset. Since my last post, I had 25hours+ uptime which is an epic uptime in the current context.

My line stats are below, I don't know how to interpret them but I would expect them to be pretty useless given the distance from the exchange. Again, does anybody know whether the exchange can request a remote reset of a router for any reason?

I guess I'll just have to call Eircom during the week anyway, replacement router would seem like a logical next step, presumably they would facilitate this?

Maybe I'll try a different PSU on it first though, maybe with a higher power rating just in case, you never know.

Cheers
    Orson.

noise margin downstream: 170 0.1db
    output power upstream: 110 0.1db
    attenuation downstream: 635 0.1db

noise margin upstream: 310 0.1db
    output power downstream: 155 0.1db
    attenuation upstream: 315 0.1db
    Can you double-check those stats while making sure that there is no filter between the modem and the wall socket? So there should just be a phone lead from the modem straight into the phone socket while you check the stats again.

I did wonder about; my stats are off the scale compared to others posted. I'll try without the z-blocker when I get back tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Just to let you know, I got Eircom a month ago(first time using DSL in over 7 years) and the same router as you:
    Model Number: P-660HW-T1 v3
    ZyNOS Firmware Version: V3.70(BOE.4)D0 | 08/23/2010

Unfortunatly similar problems, last few days I have been monitoring it closely, and max system uptime is 3 hours :(

When it is up, speed is good(for eircom/adsl), I'm on up to 8GB and I get:
    1100824602.png

My Line stats are:
    DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 8160 kbps /512 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 41 dB /18 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 8 dB /20 dB

noise margin downstream: 85 0.1db
    output power upstream: 120 0.1db
    attenuation downstream: 410 0.1db

noise margin upstream: 200 0.1db
    output power downstream: 195 0.1db
    attenuation upstream: 180 0.1db

On average every 2 hours, router restarts and comes back up, but really annoying that when it restarts while in use.

Seems to be common for this router which is a pity, might just pick up a 3rd party router

Brav, I have since moved on to this more comprehensive thread on this Zyxel issue and have 'solved' the Zyxel issue by installing a Netopia box which has been solid as a rock since.

To_be_confirmed, sorry, in my rush to chuck the Zyxel I never did check and post those line stats FYI for the 1MB line without the filter; away for a few days now but will post when I get back.

• Advertisement

Hi,

For those who may still be experiencing difficulty with Zyxel router, the following may be relevant.

A friend of mine asked me if I had a spare router, so being the masochist that I am, I dug up my Zyxel again and have configured it up again for testing, same DSL line, and so far it's been up for over 48 hours with no resets.

Here's the sole difference: So I've substituted the Zyxel power supply with another 12V PSU but this one delivers 1.66A.

Question: could it be that the supplied 1A power supply was not delivering enough juice in 1A to keep the Zyxel happy (and then possibly only under certain operating conditions: e.g. is more power required the further you are from the exchange, I am pretty much at the outer limit)?

It's definitely worth considering for anybody who's still having problems, remember in selecting a PSU, Voltage Out has to be 12V, but you can supply as much current (A)mps as you like because the router will only draw what it needs.

Orson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tradmusicman

Orson,

Having the very same problem. Got a new router delivered and same issue arises. I didn't subsitute the power adapter though, never thought of it till I'd seen your post. Just done that now and will wait and see if this makes a difference. Thanks for tip

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fornjot

I had a lot of kit, wired and wireless, connected to eircoms router, and it got worse and worse, eventually rebooting about every 8 minutes. I swapped it for a TP-Link which has been rock steady for the last 2 weeks. Had to configure the new router something like this:
    logon=eircom@eircom.net
    Password=broadband1
    PPPOE
    multiplex=llc
    VPI=8
    VCI=35

Dont ask what all that means or even if it is relevant. I havent a clue. I just know it works.

Advertisement