Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with setting up Netgear DG834G ADSL2+ Switch/Firewall Router

Options
  • 11-09-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

hi all need help setting up this router Netgear DG834G ADSL2+ Switch/Firewall Router to eircom replacing the one eircom sent out as its no good

i have connected everything up but the internet light does not light up can does not connect to the net :( ran the cd etc but tells me the cable is not connected to the phone line but i have connected it any help would be vert greatfull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You don't need to run a CD
    you need to go the web setup address and enter the Eircom details like user , password, type of connection etc. You can find them on the similar page on the old router.

Google Password & user may be same for all eircom users as they use your phone number.

Set an new Admin password on the actual router to stop driveby DNS poisenings and also of course setup WPA on WiFi with big long random key you write down first.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭anto2009

hi watty thanks for replying i still can get this working :( have enter details ect but the internet light still does not come on is there any easy way in setting it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

anto2009 wrote: »
    hi watty thanks for replying i still can get this working :( have enter details ect but the internet light still does not come on is there any easy way in setting it up?

Google eircom broadband settings and enter these into ur router. You'll need to enter settings such as VPI, connection type, dhcp enabled etc. Set ur computer to obtain ip address automatically, dns servers automatically etc. Use the username & password eircom gave you in your welcome letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Make sure you apply these settings. The password is broadband1.

The DNS servers are Google's but you can use eircom's if you so wish (wouldn't recommend it given what's happened in the past) or another alternative service, such as OpenDNS but the ones above will work just fine.

eircom_adsl_1.png

eircom_adsl_2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lorf

mmmm...interesting...

• Advertisement

thanks ethernet will try it out

still no joy with this :(

still no joy with this :(

Is your internet supply active? Cause that step-by-step from ethernet seems fool proof to me!

is your phone point where your pc is plugged into ok ? Stick a phone into and and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

As has been said, try a phone.

If it's working, unplug everything else from the phoneline so only the router is connected and see if that works.

If it does sync up (connect), you can try connecting things back to the line, with microfilters in place.

Is your internet supply active? Cause that step-by-step from ethernet seems fool proof to me!

is your phone point where your pc is plugged into ok ? Stick a phone into and and check.

phone point is ok the internet light doesn't light on the router sometimes goes red when i plug in/out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

if you click on the logs button in Security, what does it say?

thanks all got it working i think :) using it now

thanks all got it working i think :) using it now

What was it

What was it

took out the power supply and put it back in and it started to work , no problem with this so far and wireless is alot better than the eircom one

Good stuff.
    I think everybody that replied on here would have assumed you already tried that but nonetheless it's working now.

Advertisement