Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Zyxel Router or connection (Eircom)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Installed Winrar. Not got a clue how to extract Zyxel Firmware using it. It's above my knowledge levels alas! Pity it doesn't download nornally.

The Spanner is to do with the Address Bar, it has Bookmarks, favourites, Tools,Options, etc.

I've just tried re-setting the actual Modem there again at the back of the machine but it hasn't kickstarted anything lol, I'm still only getting into the Status screen.

I might try System restore back to before the day of yesterday and see will that bring me back to logging in where I'll be able to get into the Settings page.

I've just had an idea as well, I must have a look at other Laptops in the house and see what exactly their Seconds Timers are set at, and try the same on mine. If my timing-out is a Vista issue though their Settings mightn't do anything for me but can have a try.

Is Digiweb an ISP? Mine is Perlico. I must look at Perlicos Website now too and see have they any Support/Forum.

On that link, the screen under Step 2 is where I'm at now, but I've nothing - Categories or Sub-categories or drop-down Menus under the P-Model Number ..... I don't know .....

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭anto2009

hi digiweb is an isp digiweb.ie, just looking into to something for you, when u log into your router are u using default password or your own? You must sign in with admin password. 1234
    If you leave standard you access as user and the menu won't appear

Yeah am using 1234. But actually I was just thinking, when googling - locate router settings etc. a lot suggest to using Admin and Admin as login and pw not 1234, but actually I think only 1234 works.

I tried System Restore to get back to before yesterday but that didn't change anything.

It's just strange that I can't access the side-tabs/categories in the Status page the way it is in your page you linked. I can just hover over and click in the tab/category Status above the Tab of the Modem P-Model number but it just refreshes the exact same page in the same way again like in my Screenshot. Even though that is a Digiweb support page you linked. Maybe it is different with my Vista and Perlico.

I must see on the other computers in the house what the exact Url is when in the Settings page, and maybe see if I can get into that exact url link. At the moment, my url at the Status page is http://192.168.1.1/rpSys.html.

just found out off Perlico's http://cksolutions.ie/2009/04/16/perlico-router-settings/website admin password is admin

can you see if that works?

• Advertisement

Thank God!! I've managed to get the Screen with the Sidebar Tabs back! Phew! Just before you wrote there about admin for password, I have been messing around with putting in an in-correct password at login for the last half-hour or so tryin' to jump-start the bloody thing! admin wasn't working for some reason just 1234, but if ya log in any old word a couple of times as the password, it seems to remember or save it, so I had been messing about with that, and on multiple clicking with a couple of oks it saved my random words lol, but while I was trying to get into the screen with the sidebar and tabs with 1234, it was actually another word from my messing about which had become the new password! :rolleyes: So yippee can re-trace steps again now! :)

Ok so in Network field in wireless tab at Security Heading, ReAuthentication Timer is at 9999, - will keep with that, just gonna try changing back the Idle Timeout from 9999 to the original 3600 and see over the next couple of hours if it still dis-connects with just the 1 Timer change rather than the 2 ......

Thank God!! I've managed to get the Screen with the Sidebar Tabs back! Phew! Just before you wrote there about admin for password, I have been messing around with putting in an in-correct password at login for the last half-hour or so tryin' to jump-start the bloody thing! admin wasn't working for some reason just 1234, but if ya log in any old word a couple of times as the password, it seems to remember or save it, so I had been messing about with that, and on multiple clicking with a couple of oks it saved my random words lol, but while I was trying to get into the screen with the sidebar and tabs with 1234, it was actually another word from my messing about which had become the new password! :rolleyes: So yippee can re-trace steps again now! :)

Ok so in Network field in wireless tab at Security Heading, ReAuthentication Timer is at 9999, - will keep with that, just gonna try changing back the Idle Timeout from 9999 to the original 3600 and see over the next couple of hours if it still dis-connects with just the 1 Timer change rather than the 2 ......

happy days hope it works out for you :) and stops pinging out

Magror wrote: »
    Thats a pity, confused. Just to say I only changed the reauthentication timer to 9999. I left the idle timeout and the group key update unchanged. Another thing I did was to change the Network/NAT/Max Nat from 512 to 2048. Dunno if that would make a difference. If your wireless signal is going every 30 mins though it is hard not to see that being related to the timeout settings.:confused:

Any idea what Network/NAT/Max Nat is or does ..... :confused:

it's Network Address Translation Provides a type of firewall by hiding internal IP addresses

Don't think it worked, got a few time-outs this evening. :( One thing I did notice was it seemed to last a bit longer lol, more like an hour rather than half-hour before it dis-connected. Has been really really un-stable and crashed loadsa times over the last couple of hours and I've loadsa stuff to do lol. Would be nice if the bloody computer worked!!:D:rolleyes:

No time at the mo. to do anymore with it for now, but just wanted to check, when I go in and edit the Seconds Timer, I'm not exactly sure if it saves the change, I think it stays the same. And I'm not sure if I'm editing the Timer the right way ..... I get into the Settings Page by the Advanced Setup Wizard, but I don't actually set-up the Wizard, I just go into the Settings menu along the way so maybe that's why the new Seconds time isn't saving when I don't even have the Wizard set-up. I don't know. Will look at it again later.

• Advertisement

Don't think it worked, got a few time-outs this evening. :( One thing I did notice was it seemed to last a bit longer lol, more like an hour rather than half-hour before it dis-connected. Has been really really un-stable and crashed loadsa times over the last couple of hours and I've loadsa stuff to do lol. Would be nice if the bloody computer worked!!:D:rolleyes:

No time at the mo. to do anymore with it for now, but just wanted to check, when I go in and edit the Seconds Timer, I'm not exactly sure if it saves the change, I think it stays the same. And I'm not sure if I'm editing the Timer the right way ..... I get into the Settings Page by the Advanced Setup Wizard, but I don't actually set-up the Wizard, I just go into the Settings menu along the way so maybe that's why the new Seconds time isn't saving when I don't even have the Wizard set-up. I don't know. Will look at it again later.

hi you don't need to set-up the Wizard if u changed the seconds and click apply :)

Yeah just went into Advanced Wizard as if I was gonna set it up, then clicked on Settings and clicked apply. Not working anyway. Oh well hopefully will find some way of fixing it. I reckon it must be to do with that though when the seconds are exactly a half-hour, and I'm timing out every half-hour. Or else it's just a really weird co-incidence ....

I checked the other lappie in house and thos Settings are at 3600 and 1800 as well. But there's no dis-connecting though, it's just my Laptop, maybe there's certain Settings or something needed because I'm Vista ..... I don't know .... I was gonna see if changing the seconds to 0000 would do anything but you're only allowed change it to 10, can't put in 0. I must do some looking into Vista and see if specific Settings are advised to ward of dis-connecting issues.

Okay back again! Have noticed over the last day or two, that I'm getting 2hours 44minutes of time before it dis-connects with the Re-authentication time at 9999, it dis-connects every 2hours and 44 minutes, much better though compared to every half-hour lol, and that's with the Setting changed from 1800 to 9999. :) So now I just need to find out what to change the 9999 to in order to give me a full 24 hours of connectivity lol! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Magror

Okay back again! Have noticed over the last day or two, that I'm getting 2hours 44minutes of time before it dis-connects with the Re-authentication time at 9999, it dis-connects every 2hours and 44 minutes, much better though compared to every half-hour lol, and that's with the Setting changed from 1800 to 9999. :) So now I just need to find out what to change the 9999 to in order to give me a full 24 hours of connectivity lol! :)

Try deleting the 9999 and leaving it blank.

Oh hadn't thought of blank. just tried it, it won't apply me editing it as blank .... :( It just has 9999 in there even after I've saved it as blank. :(

Nearly 3 hours though is much better that every half hour so that's something. :)

Oh hadn't thought of blank. just tried it, it won't apply me editing it as blank .... :( It just has 9999 in there even after I've saved it as blank. :(

Nearly 3 hours though is much better that every half hour so that's something. :)

What about 0000? I agree, though, nearly three hours is a decent amount of time compared to half an hour. There probably is some better technical solution out there.

No it won't accept 0000 as a time. :( Well I must be "onto something," I must be near cracking the code lol when it has changed the time-out from half-hour to 2hours44minutes, it's just to get it right now, to perfect it I guess to give me 24 hours-worth of connectivity lol. :)

I wonder would changing that other Setting the NAT setting do anything .... Did you change it from 512 to 2048? I don't know much about these things though, so am afraid it will alter use of the Modem and affect use of others in the house.

No it won't accept 0000 as a time. :( Well I must be "onto something," I must be near cracking the code lol when it has changed the time-out from half-hour to 2hours44minutes, it's just to get it right now, to perfect it I guess to give me 24 hours-worth of connectivity lol. :)

I wonder would changing that other Setting the NAT setting do anything .... Did you change it from 512 to 2048? I don't know much about these things though, so am afraid it will alter use of the Modem and affect use of others in the house.

Yeah I did change the NAT setting but really I can't advise you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Über Micro PCs

This router is a disaster and its Eircoms fault.
    Eircom firmware version and date V3.70(BOE.3)D0 | 03/30/2010
    Zyxel latest firmware version and date V3.70(BJZ.4)C0 06-22-2010

Fixes from all the way back to V3.70(BJZ.3)b1 | 04/20/2010 include
    Symptom: When download several files on bit commet 1.14, when NAT session increase to a lot, it will be
    very slow to access internet

Of course I cant just use the Zyxel firmware the Eircom router wont allow it.:rolleyes:

Zyxel firmware and PDF

I have used other Zyxel routers for years.I have nothing bad to say about them or Zyxel support.

I'm sure you know your stuff like. Please don't take offence. Butttt thing is it works perfectly on other Laptop in same house and doesn't dis-connect at all. So like wouldn't this suggest the Router is working perfectly (in my case,) just not on my Lappie. It's such a mystery. I wish I knew more about computers that I could test things and know what I was at. :(

Well it's not my Router to change and get a new one anyway, but maybe some-one else that has Windows Vista and Perlico/XyZel Router, and maybe I could see what they have those Settings at.

Grrrr this ZyXel beginning to drive me bonkers now, I can't even get into its' Firmware to download the bloody zip file. Drivin' me insane here. Sure if I go into something to open the .rom file (the other 2 thingys are vlc videos or some crap that I can't open either,) it lists "recommended programs" to download my .rom file, but all they seem to be are crap about scanning my files for infections and do I want to pay to scan my file .....

• Advertisement

It wont make a difference because you wont be able to use the file anyway.
    But just so you know.
    You go to the link above:
    You download the file:
    You now have a file called P-660HW-T1 v3_3.70(BJZ.4)C0
    Click this LINK
    Install that software.
    You then "unrar" the P-660HW-T1 v3_3.70(BJZ.4)C0 file.
    You are left with 3 files
    370BJZ4C0 (a bin file)
    a PDF with the same name and ROM file again with the same name.
    Pay no attention to which program wants to open those files.

Go to you browser address bar and type in 192.168.1.254
    Now you have access to your router.
    Login with default password broadband1
    Click Maintenance
    Click Update/Reboot
    Now browse to where you "Unrared"/extracted those 3 files and you will be able to select the correct one.(The BIN file).
    And ta da! Now you know you cant use the standard firmware with eircoms ****ty router.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Can't believe this thread is still alive. I've since switched to UPC and haven't been having too many problems although their standard router is also a bit dodgy! It's so unfortunate that ISPs choose to cut costs in such ways and choose really sub-par routers. Surely what they have save initially is negated by the need to spend more on offering tech support for the modems than they would if they simply chose a reliable piece of hardware in the first place?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

I had to buy a Netgear Wireless N router as I couldn't stream videos from my PC to my Xbox with this piece of crap. Eircom should be ashamed of themselves for treating their customers like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kieran2010

It wont make a difference because you wont be able to use the file anyway.
    But just so you know.
    You go to the link above:
    You download the file:
    You now have a file called P-660HW-T1 v3_3.70(BJZ.4)C0
    Click this LINK
    Install that software.
    You then "unrar" the P-660HW-T1 v3_3.70(BJZ.4)C0 file.
    You are left with 3 files
    370BJZ4C0 (a bin file)
    a PDF with the same name and ROM file again with the same name.
    Pay no attention to which program wants to open those files.

Go to you browser address bar and type in 192.168.1.254
    Now you have access to your router.
    Login with default password broadband1
    Click Maintenance
    Click Update/Reboot
    Now browse to where you "Unrared"/extracted those 3 files and you will be able to select the correct one.(The BIN file).
    And ta da! Now you know you cant use the standard firmware with eircoms ****ty router.

Will this stop the box from cutting out?

Please read what I wrote.
    I am pointing out that Zyxel have released various firmware updates for the same router that Eircom is using that will fix the problems this router has but Eircom wont incorporate the fixes into their custom firmware.
    Why?
    Because Eircom are useless.
    I just went and bought a new router.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I still have the original v3.70 (BOE.1)D0 11/19/2009 firmware. Where can I download the updated Eircom firmware?
    I tried Über Micro PCs version, but I still get an error. Possibly my version is too old?
    I was thinking of trying to update Eircom's firmware first, then doing the original Zyxel

I dont know if Eircom offer firmware downloads?
    All they have to basically do is take the latest Zyxel one and stick their stupid logo etc on it.
    I suppose they could say that if they offered firmware downloads too many people would brick their routers.
    But that would just be an excuse in my opinion,plenty of other companies offer firmware updates all they have to do is warn people of the dangers.

And I guess I need to point out I only wrote the guide for confuseddotcom benefit as he seemed not to know what was going on.

That firmware from Zyxels page will not work on the EircoN router.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

oh crappola..can't believe how much of a noob I've been :o
    re-read your original post.....

Still, there has to be a way to bypass and flash the crap that eircom puts on the modem. Any ideas?

Sorry mate I have no clue.
    Maybe someone else can help....like someone from Eircom?hahaha yeah sure.

• Advertisement

To anyone that wants to try I have been told that the settings on the router are a little strange for a standard home router.

The LAN DHCP timeout/renewal has been set to 30 minutes,normally this is 24 hours on standard home gateways/routers.

If you want to change it and see if it helps do the following

> type 192.168.1.254 in your browser
    > The password is – broadband1
    > select 'Network' in the Left hand side menu
    > select LAN
    > select DHCP Setup
    > change 'lease time' to 86400
    > click on 'Apply'

Good luck and post back if it helps.

Sorry for double post but I wanted to bump the thread so subscribers could see this.

Edit:Didnt help me,lagged and died in the middle of a very important game of Napoleon Total War.lol

Advertisement