Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Zyxel Router or connection (Eircom)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

They send the Zyxel out. That's the standard.

Why would they send out the same one again when I already have that one from the 7mb pack I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Why would they send out the same one again when I already have that one from the 7mb pack I had.

No idea. They may have their records confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I've change encryption to WEP hopefully it works now. So far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 patcampbell

dub45 wrote: »
    With those stats you shouldnt have a problem. Have you tried just having the modem connected everything else unplugged? Have you tried another filter?

Whats your internal wiring like?

I have come across several Zyxel routers on my travels.
    (1) They will not allow Bonjour ( ie apple tv to stream over network from hard drive or streaming airplay).

(2) They have an uncanny knack of losing sync irrespective of DNS settings
    (3) I have started moving clients over to UPC on the basis that their support line is open and answered when I call Eircom close at 7.00pm.
    (4) Out of curiousity I would like to know post codes for all others with sync issues. In last 2 weeks I have 5 service calls for routers dropping 1 of which is ongoing and intermittent. The wiring is fine same wiring that has been there for three years. The filter has been replaced and removed. There was a netgear router on the line but it dropped also, changed it out onto a spare DSL line I ordered 1 year ago just in case and all worked for last 9 days and bingo it dropped sync today.
    These calls are all in the D4 stretch. One ongoing 9 months resolved tuesday by going to UPC. Newgrove Avenue commissioned 5 weeks ago dropped Tuesday week Eircom acknowledged issue and resolved but I am keeping an eye. Pembroke Ave. sync dropped ( netgear router not zyxel).
    Wellington Road sync dropped client asked to be moved to UPC.
    If there is someone within Eircom reading/monitoring this I am keen to keep the accounts with Eircom but I need someone I can deal with in there who will acknowledge issue and assist in resolving. The clients response is move service provider and this is a dangerous void to create and with a view to Eircom trying to pull fibre to home in next year who will benefit the clients are voting with their feet.
    As stated this is just the last 2 weeks and I am tired of sending someone to these clients to reset power on their routers, how do I in good faith bill for that knowing the same call will arise within ten days( shrewsbury road 3 call outs to reset router). If some one from Eircom interested in dealing with someone on the receiving end I would love to hear from you either on the board or off the board.
    Regards
    PC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sync and DNS issues have *nothing* do do with each other. It's mainly a function of line quality and to a slight degree the quality of the DSL chipset etc in the modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Used to work for Perlico (contractor) and the zyxel routers were the biggest POS i have ever come across.

I have a netopia 3347nwg since I first got bb and I have never had any problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭billgates

It'll be a Zyxel, get your own router, dont even bother plugging that thing in, believe me, save yourself a lot of hassle! You'll be lucky to get anything more than 10meg downstream on those pieces of junk if your on 24 meg, believe me I've seen it first hand. Was getting 10 meg max on my connection with just 2dB downstrem attenuation on my line with Zyxel router, and connection dropping several times daily. Even Eircom tech support guy I spoke to said they were a complete pos!

Switched to Cisco router and getting full 24meg now consistently, connection is rock solid.
    I just changed up to 24mb broadband with Eircom and they said they are sending out a new modem for the higher speed broadband, ( I was on 7mb, and they sent the pice of sh1t Zyxel modem which I changed for a motorola unit and that has been working perfect since)

I was wondering what kind of modem is it that they are sending out, has anyone got one, have they had any issues etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

Mc Love wrote: »
    Used to work for Perlico (contractor) and the zyxel routers were the biggest POS i have ever come across.

I have a netopia 3347nwg since I first got bb and I have never had any problem with it.

The 3347nwg does not support Adsl2 though. Or is there a firmware updatethat I'm unaware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vodkatime

Ive had eircom bb for about 2 months now and the connection keeps dropping. lately its gotten worse. Ive had about 6 drops today alone. Its so annoying having to go and plug in and out the modem. Anyone have any ideas.. I think i have an old eircom modem lying around which i might hook up tomorrow and try it but not looking forwad to setting up all my ports again... what a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Gerb68 wrote: »
    The 3347nwg does not support Adsl2 though. Or is there a firmware updatethat I'm unaware of?

Don't think the 3347nwg supports ADSL2 at all no firmware updates that i'm aware of.
    As far as i know the Netopia 2247 (silver one's) support ADSL2 and are by far the most reliable router that i've ever had off Eircom also other people using the 2247 always had a great experiance with it these ZYXEL modems really shouldn't be supplied by Eircom to it's customers anymore it's giving them a really bad name worse than it already is.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

The 2247 does support ADSL2. I'm using it now as I've parked the 3347nwg and that disaster of a router, the Zyxel.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Upgraded last week, got the zyxel. Figured it couldn't be as bad as people make them out to be.

Nope they are complete crap, ridiculous number of dropouts.

Only problem now is that there's nowhere in Galway that sells decent modem/routers.
    So as well as having to shell out for a router, I've a week or two of dodgy internet. Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Upgraded last week, got the zyxel. Figured it couldn't be as bad as people make them out to be.

Nope they are complete crap, ridiculous number of dropouts.

Only problem now is that there's nowhere in Galway that sells decent modem/routers.
    So as well as having to shell out for a router, I've a week or two of dodgy internet. Yay!

I got one of the old silver eircom modems for 9 euro on adverts.ie , works perfectly and no drop outs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

vodkatime wrote: »
    Ive had eircom bb for about 2 months now and the connection keeps dropping. lately its gotten worse. Ive had about 6 drops today alone. Its so annoying having to go and plug in and out the modem. Anyone have any ideas.. I think i have an old eircom modem lying around which i might hook up tomorrow and try it but not looking forwad to setting up all my ports again... what a pain.

Apart from the possibilities of problems with the router itself dropouts are often caused by a poor line and low snr.

Have you checked your line stats?

If you are on wireless have you tried changing channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Fed up of this useless thing. Can anyone recommend a good router, not too pricey?

Something basic enough, with Wifi obviously and at least 4 ethernet ports.

I'm on 24MB with eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leptonite

Here is the link for eircoms Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 router firmware BOE.4 23 Aug 2010
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

Can anyone recommend a good way to set this router as a repeater?

Have a few lying round and as im never going to use them as routers i thought i might put them to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭meenmore

Is there a general consensus as to what the best Zyxel replacement router is? That is, with the same features (e.g. good Wi-Fi signal).

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I run a mac.
    I did much the same thing with a Netopia, wireless off, use just as a modem, Airport Extreme (in a Time Capsule) the router, worked perfectly.
    I'm being upgraded with NGB, netopia no longer fit for purpose they say, and I am being sent one of there Zyxels!! Why am I not thrilled?
    I note what you have done and feel happier about things, I think. Thank you.

I've been wading through 20 pages of horror stories about this modem/router.
    I am due to get one shortly, upgrade.
    I can't say I'm looking forward to it.
    No setup instructions for Mac included, I understand, not that people on Windows seem to have fared too well.
    Moderators seem to be avoiding this topic.

The netopia will work fine with NGB if it's working fine already. Don't mind eircom.

I always thought that a modem was a modem was a modem!
    It would appear that when the great migration day for NGB comes I could get a speed of 12 to 15 Mb, mouth watering, at least in theory.
    They say my Netopia won't handle that.
    At the minute I'm just using my Netopia as a modem for an Apple Extreme router and I was hoping to do the same with the Zyxel if i can get into its config and switch off wireless.
    Interesting times ahead, luckily for me, it's mainly a hobby. I wouldn't like to be one of those poor sods whose "broadband" is essential.
    Thanks for the reassurance

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

It seems like I'm the minority here, but I am going to vouch for this router, it has an insane amount of features (wds, ddns, telnet, etc) that even some top end routers don't have, the router itself never gave me problems and worked a charm the 2 years I used it. Zyxel is a great company that does something a lot of hardware companies can't, they produce extremely good firmware for their products. Even though I have moved on to a new router, this one is the one I always recommend to people who are on a budget, and I might even come back to Zyxel in the future.

It seems like I'm the minority here, but I am going to vouch for this router, it has an insane amount of features (wds, ddns, telnet, etc) that even some top end routers don't have, the router itself never gave me problems and worked a charm the 2 years I used it. Zyxel is a great company that does something a lot of hardware companies can't, they produce extremely good firmware for their products. Even though I have moved on to a new router, this one is the one I always recommend to people who are on a budget, and I might even come back to Zyxel in the future.
    What makes you say it uses better firmware than anyone else? Only with the current Zyxel have I had to turn off and turn back on my computer's wifi connection every hour as the reauthentication step every 60 minutes didn't work properly. And this happened with multiple wifi cards and computers used with the Zyxel. More recent firmware released may have solved this issue however.

There are also stability problems with higher levels of connections from my own observations, and the NAT only allows a max of 4096 connections. The features listed above are common on almost all other routers I've used too, even the WRT54G from back in 2007.

I would give it praise for its layout and features etc but for how unstable aspects of it are. The netopia maintains a rock solid connection whenever I use it.

I wonder if "the insane amount of features" is part of the problem, especially for the average client like me who expects that when a thing is hooked up and plugged in, it'll work, leaving the tweaking for the nerds to do later?
    Glad to hear a positive vibe at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

I bought a netopia about a year go on ebay as the zxyel (my 2nd) was unusable, but it broke last week so I had to get down my zxyel back down from the attic.

I noticed there was new firware so I updated and since doing that my windows 7 machine and my wifes Galaxy S both have no problems.

However my iphone 3gs has constant timeouts and the wireless symbol disappears for about 10 seconds every couple of minutes.
    From reading this thread it seems there are compatability issues between the zxyel and Apple products.

When the wireless drops on the iphone, a popup is displayed that you must accept, its fairly annoying but to get around this i installed pop up blocker from Cydia.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

What makes you say it uses better firmware than anyone else? Only with the current Zyxel have I had to turn off and turn back on my computer's wifi connection every hour as the reauthentication step every 60 minutes didn't work properly. And this happened with multiple wifi cards and computers used with the Zyxel. More recent firmware released may have solved this issue however.

There are also stability problems with higher levels of connections from my own observations, and the NAT only allows a max of 4096 connections. The features listed above are common on almost all other routers I've used too, even the WRT54G from back in 2007.

I would give it praise for its layout and features etc but for how unstable aspects of it are. The netopia maintains a rock solid connection whenever I use it.

-I have experience with dlink and linksys routers, both of which lacked wds and telnet, I will say the linksys has great port forwarding though, but features wise, i still prefer the zyxel.

-I was using ethernet most of the time with the zyxel, but i had never seen a problem with wireless on the laptop or ipod.

-nat is limited, i will give you that, but personally, it worked a lot better than the netopia nat which is just an absolute mess if you ask me.

-the wrt only gains those features (apart from ddns) if you hack it with ddwrt if i recall correctly.

-3 of my friends use the netopia, they do nothing but complain about it and when they ask me to setup nat for their games consoles, I get extremely frustrated with it, i just wish i could get rid of that stupid, out-of-date list of games it has.
    ainiseoir wrote: »
    I wonder if "the insane amount of features" is part of the problem, especially for the average client like me who expects that when a thing is hooked up and plugged in, it'll work, leaving the tweaking for the nerds to do later?
    Glad to hear a positive vibe at last!

for those that just use the router for wireless browsing of the web, i'm sure the netopia is a better option, even though i find the range on the zyxel is better.

• Advertisement

You're pretty much right on those points in fairness, that's your experience with the features you wanted. The WRT54G didn't have WDS without installing ddwrt, assuming you had a version of WRT54G that supported its installation.

Regarding the NAT, while it's difficult to set up some port forwarding etc with the netopia (I remember the problems various people had with the likes of Call of Duty and NAT types) but I never experienced the Netopia crashing from heavier usage, like from torrenting or running/hosting online games, once it was set up properly.

Unfortunately the wifi issue definitely exists and the number of posts by other people on the eircom forum about this would show it's a widespread issue and more a case of whether customers put up with it or not, or perhaps firmware version.

In comparative tests between the netopia and Zyxel, I found the netopia's range to be about 30% better than the Zyxel in an urban street-level house and surroundings. I haven't had a chance to test it in the countryside which wouldn't have so many fluctuating sources of interference. Btw the range of the WRT54G i had, the version 7 one, was extremely poor. I estimate transmit power was down 10dB on the Netopia and I probably should have brought it back for a refund in hindsight. Probably most other linksys stuff would work better than that.

If someone wants reliable Wifi operation without detailed modifiability or can get away with awkward port forward settings for torrents while enjoying more reliable performance, I would still go with the netopia 2247 (and with latest firmware for ADSL2 operation)

Advertisement