Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match thread - boards cup

Options
  • 15-02-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Up 12 - 7 against the gnomes at half time despite being molested at scrum and lineout (the captain really ought to mention that to the ref).

A good number of matches are looking pretty competitive so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

19-0 at the moment. Glad I'm doing well, but looking at the match I just realised I set up a completely radical new line-up... my current scrumhalf has never played the position before, I'm not even sure if he's any use. Interested to see the reporters summary after this.

Edit: Terrifying stuff... I've been watching the match for the last five minutes and I fear Killarney RFC will ultimately win this one, the flow of the match has started to go their way. 19-5 at the mo, no doubt soon to be 19-7.

edit: Ended 24 - 7 . Dunno what happened really, Killarney RFC definitely seemed to have my players beaten man-for-man, but somehow I pulled off the 5 pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

barely scraped a win 20-17 but i should have been outa sight long time ago. My idiot kicker missed 3 penalties and 2 conversions including one straight in front of the posts. yet with just 2 mins left he kicked the winning penalty. dunno whether he's the hero or the villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

won 28-10, reviewing the match commentary now, seems was close until after half time. though I have had about 2 tries disallowed!! :mad:

Edit: Jeepers my lads left it late, scored in 62nd minute to take the lead for first time!

happy enough with that as was not my full team out, resting key players and giving subs a rest... still getting used to the whole energy thing. Energised is the new perfect am I right...as in if a player plays two matches a week he will be permanently energised pretty much?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Results are up.

Let me know if you see any cockups. I expect several.

Results are up.

Let me know if you see any cockups. I expect several.

That is an epic site! love the way you can click on teams and get the stats and compare them to other teams.

a truely wonderful effort, and so quick, excellently done my good sir!

• Advertisement

new site is brilliant dave. cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Not done too well in my first fixture. But the only way is up, from now on...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Won my match with a winning bonus point try. Good start

Site looks great, really good job you did. Makes the whole cup a lot more exciting being able to see your group and the stats of other teams.

Cheers
    (Finally got my old account back too :D)

EDIT: The compare teams stats thing on the website is ****ing unreal. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Fewcifur wrote: »
    19-0 at the moment. Glad I'm doing well, but looking at the match I just realised I set up a completely radical new line-up... my current scrumhalf has never played the position before, I'm not even sure if he's any use. Interested to see the reporters summary after this.

Edit: Terrifying stuff... I've been watching the match for the last five minutes and I fear Killarney RFC will ultimately win this one, the flow of the match has started to go their way. 19-5 at the mo, no doubt soon to be 19-7.

edit: Ended 24 - 7 . Dunno what happened really, Killarney RFC definitely seemed to have my players beaten man-for-man, but somehow I pulled off the 5 pointer.

Congratulations on the victory, your team played great :)! I benched 5 starters because of this new energy drain and started working on building up a new defense. I had hoped those reserves would have given you a better run but my depth just isn't quite where I want it. Good luck in the rest of the cup :)!

Eireannach wrote: »
    Congratulations on the victory, your team played great :)! I benched 5 starters because of this new energy drain and started working on building up a new defense. I had hoped those reserves would have given you a better run but my depth just isn't quite where I want it. Good luck in the rest of the cup :)!

Glad I got you early then, I'd hate to see your full team... sure your number 7 is worth 4 of my men (some man for one man they say.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Glad I got you early then, I'd hate to see your full team... sure your number 7 is worth 4 of my men (some man for one man they say.)

Not sure they would have made too much of a difference, your squad showed a lot of class out there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Lost 43 - 12 with my complete second team out playing WNWIN

I had just assumed it was WNWIN, never asked, he clearly did not make the same assumption :)

I guess learning to take a beating is important for young players :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

eoferrall wrote: »
    won 28-10, reviewing the match commentary now, seems was close until after half time. though I have had about 2 tries disallowed!! :mad:

Edit: Jeepers my lads left it late, scored in 62nd minute to take the lead for first time!

It seemed close score-wise till half time but you pretty much dominated most the match. I blame a large part of it on the massive penalty count difference, my guys just couldn't stop giving penalties away and you had me pinned back for large chunks of the game.

Not too upset about it though I got to try a few things out to see how they worked (not great on first look)

+1 on the site looking great as well!

mar-z wrote: »
    It seemed close score-wise till half time but you pretty much dominated most the match. I blame a large part of it on the massive penalty count difference, my guys just couldn't stop giving penalties away and you had me pinned back for large chunks of the game.

Not too upset about it though I got to try a few things out to see how they worked (not great on first look)

+1 on the site looking great as well!

Ye i noticed the high penalty count against you. were you trying out aggressive discipline or something?

read as a good game! was going to continue my attempt at developing a new defense system but went back to my old reliable one as I deemed us too close to risk that.

tried couple of things... think my team suits a higher expansive play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

eoferrall wrote: »
    Ye i noticed the high penalty count against you. were you trying out aggressive discipline or something?

A combination of that and some of the players brought into my squad having reckless discipline. I really should plan my experiments a bit more carefully :rolleyes:

mar-z wrote: »
    A combination of that and some of the players brought into my squad having reckless discipline. I really should plan my experiments a bit more carefully :rolleyes:

I now know to encourage random tripping and other sneak attacks for our next Dun-L-Ra derby! :p

I now know to encourage random tripping and other sneak attacks for our next Dun-L-Ra derby! :p
    Steer clear of the blood capsules and you'll be fine.

Steer clear of the blood capsules and you'll be fine.

I'm gonna lob an alkaseltzer into his tighthead's mouth during the scrum... make him look like a rabid dog and get him taken off the pitch for tests!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i scored a try in the last 5 mins to level up my match against polk high and then they get a penalty as their scrum half threw the ball at one of my players who was coming back onside.

suppafly wrote: »
    i scored a try in the last 5 mins to level up my match against polk high and then they get a penalty as their scrum half threw the ball at one of my players who was coming back onside.

lazy running from your player. he should have gotten a red card and lengthy suspension for it!

• Advertisement

5 tries so far... if I can hold on for the win I've got myself a shiny 5 pointer

Eventual comfortable win : 41 - 7. Disappointed I let that score in though, it was in the last minute of the match and tainted what would otherwise have been total domination. :(

My kicker has finally found his kicking boots again. He didnt miss a single kick tonight thank god. A good 59-12 win in the end.

Conceeded a try to Scorched earth in the 79th minute to tie up the game. damn him!

Results are up.

Results are up.

Jeepers you're efficient!

My kicker has finally found his kicking boots again. He didnt miss a single kick tonight thank god. A good 59-12 win in the end.

Very impressive on a windy night such as tonight

Very impressive on a windy night such as tonight

ya he got few from near touchline too compared to last week when he did a wilko and missed right in front of the posts. Amazing how much form can affect performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 finbar_omahony

Is there an official trophy for this cup?

Is there an official trophy for this cup?
    The idea is that the winner of each knockout group (boards cup, almost there award, and try harder trophy receives a trophy of some kind).

Alas, so far nobody has come up with artwork for said trophies.

Want a job? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 finbar_omahony

how is this for the winner of the worst cup

http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/12/94/08/96/crap_c10.jpg

Advertisement