Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

handbagmad wrote: »
    Somewhere deep inside me must still be a flame that wants to live. I had planned on doing"something silly/stupid" during the week back out at last minute.
    I've lost control. Im desperate for help to get better. I am going to kick ass this week to get the help I need. Still waiting for counselling.
    Services in this country R a joke.
    Im really scared of what the journey will be like. I have a lot of demons to fight, a lot of work to do. It is scary.
    I hope I can find the right people to help me

I am very glad to read that you did not do something stupid.
    Take one day at a time, put yourself first and be kind to yourself.
    Don't be worry about what the journey will be like. It is important to remember, you must learn to walk before you start running.
    Get whatever help you need organised and commence your journey to good health.Remember we are all wishing the very best for you
    Best Wishes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Hi, just a reminder to everyone on this thread who posts, reads, thanks or lurks, we are meeting up on December 7th at 3.00pm in the Octagon Bar of the Clarence Hotel, Wellington Quay, Dublin 2.

Call in for a coffee, a beer or whatever and take a break from the Christmas shopping.

Look forward to seeing you.

Murria :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Christmas Office Party

The whole subject can bring out goose bumps on the best of us.

It is important to remember to protect oneself and put oneself first.

It is not worth having a panic attack and upsetting one's physical and psychological health to attend a social event.

Be kind to yourself and trust your own judgement. If you feel the event is something which is going to cause you untold stress, there is no need to put yourself under unnecessary pressure.

Politely decline the invitation and move on with your life.

Perhaps with age and experience I have learned how unimportant the Office Party is, versus, the importance of good physical and emotional health.

I am aufait with the peer pressure put on colleagues to attend these events. If you don't attend after a couple of days no one will remember who was there and it is then 360 odd days to the next one .:rolleyes:

OMG my dilema at the moment I really have no interest in going to ours but people are doing my head in about it.

Also I am on anti depressants for nearly 20 yrs now. Depression returns after a short time off them.

Lots on my mind at the moment including a major family rift which never leaves my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Such a shit week it's been for me. Can't even be bothered to move. Took today off college which is unusual for me because I love college but I just couldn't move past the front door.

Been out drinking far too many nights this week as it was my birthday, which has contributed to my low mood no doubt, but I was due a crash anyway as I've been feeling good more than usual recently. I just need like a month with nothing to do so I can just lie in bed but that's never going to happen. ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Such a shit week it's been for me. Can't even be bothered to move. Took today off college which is unusual for me because I love college but I just couldn't move past the front door.

Been out drinking far too many nights this week as it was my birthday, which has contributed to my low mood no doubt, but I was due a crash anyway as I've been feeling good more than usual recently. I just need like a month with nothing to do so I can just lie in bed but that's never going to happen. ugh

oh I can totally relate. Hope you aren't worried about not going to college, sometimes we just need a bit of time to ourselves away from everyone. Is there any way you could take time out here and there to lie in bed? With all the festive nights out looming it can be good to recharge in november!

Feeling strange today - took a duvet day myself as it's badly needed. Stupidly feel guilty (no reason to, also feel a bit sick so am better off at home). Had to work at the weekend and it was messy so was stressed. Am a bit low too cos some projects I'm helping with just seem neverending - new tasks keep getting added and it feels like I'll never have a break. There's nothing too stressy there, just it eats into my time really. Am also worried this is to the detriment of my own tasks too. I think one problem is I can't say no, another is that when I do take stuff on it can be hard to delegate as either I dont want to trouble anyone or I feel that I should be able to do it all myself.

Despite feeling so overwhelmed I was able to leave early yesterday, and have some time away booked next week which is great. I applied for tons of jobs at the weekend and one got back to me very quickly. I'm happy to say there's a skype interview tomorrow! The job is abroad which is scary to think about, and of course no guarantee I'll either get it or want it once we discuss. It feels good to have SOMETHING though - I've not had any luck since July. Possibly moving abroad is so scary but also I know I need a fresh start. Have tried to stop worrying about not getting something straight away either, had a great chat with OH yesterday and I actually wouldnt mind a month or two of breathing space between finishing one job and finding another. Easier said than done though!

Nonetheless, I'm TRYING not to put all my hopes in this job. It might be awful, and I'm reluctant to just take the first thing that comes along, especially given my mental state at the moment. It sounds ok though and will give the interview my best shot. Last-minute duvet day is giving me time to prepare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

That's the difference I could not have a duvet day it's not an option for me. It would make me depressed and feel worse. Even watching tv on the couch would be fine but bed during the day no as it reminds me of being in a very dark place.

oh I agree - mine has just consisted of sitting on the bed in toasty clothes with warm laptop cos it's so darn cold today! I can't lay around all day cos would feel worse too. Even as a kid if I was sick it felt better to at least be washed!

Starting to get nervous about interview now... eek.

stinkle wrote: »
    oh I agree - mine has just consisted of sitting on the bed in toasty clothes with warm laptop cos it's so darn cold today! I can't lay around all day cos would feel worse too. Even as a kid if I was sick it felt better to at least be washed!

Starting to get nervous about interview now... eek.

You'll be just fine take a few deep breaths and the very best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Best of luck with your interview.

Im feeling very overwhelmed today, its like i cant do anything at all. Kinda frustrating. Im not happy with my life at the moment, i just wish life would fast forward a bit.

Best of luck with your interview.

Im feeling very overwhelmed today, its like i cant do anything at all. Kinda frustrating. Im not happy with my life at the moment, i just wish life would fast forward a bit.

This too shall pass.

When things are bad, remember, it won't always be this way. Take one day at a time.

When things are good, remember, it won't always be this way. Enjoy every great moment.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Hey everyone, I've just come across this thread and, as a recent sufferer of anxiety, feel it will be a good help for me. I had to leave my last job due to severe anxiety and took about 6 weeks before returning to a new job. Gradually got from a place of despair to being myself again. However, two weeks after starting my new job could feel it all coming back and I am now packing it in as well. I feel terrible for leaving but feel its necessary to stop me going back to the mess I was.
    I can't think of any reason I could be suffering from anxiety, so I don't know if counselling would be of any worth to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

baldshin wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I've just come across this thread and, as a recent sufferer of anxiety, feel it will be a good help for me. I had to leave my last job due to severe anxiety and took about 6 weeks before returning to a new job. Gradually got from a place of despair to being myself again. However, two weeks after starting my new job could feel it all coming back and I am now packing it in as well. I feel terrible for leaving but feel its necessary to stop me going back to the mess I was.
    I can't think of any reason I could be suffering from anxiety, so I don't know if counselling would be of any worth to me?

same situation here. it's very frustrating when you can't just seem to handle a normal work situation. Mine stems from anxiety too, which is kind of caused by intense self-consciousness. Obviously, over time, this intensity leads to exhaustion and worse. I did see a psychotherapist for 3 years, but I'm unsure how much it helped me personally, because I'm quite closed, and also like you, there was no specific trauma to work through. It's just in my genetics or whatever neurological pathways built up during childhood. I'm now on SSRI's which I feel have helped me a bit. For example, I can now read something in a library, which I couldn't have done before, because I was so hopped up on being surrounded by other people that I couldn't relax enough to concentrate on reading and absorbing information. Also, I can sit near the front at a theatre now, without being paranoid that I'm somehow going to put off the actors with my facial expression. (yes, this is what i would usually automatically think!!! *exhausted sigh")

So knackered today cos it's so bloody cold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sygnus13

Hi all, first time poster here. Feel lost confused and fed up. My anxiety has gotten the better of me. In the last two months I've been to A&E twice. Te first time I thought I was having a heart attack. And only recently because I cannot cope.

I'm afraid to leave my house because of the amount of panic attacks I've had in the only route I can take to get to my course. Even walking to the shops 5 minutes away from me is difficult. I am sick of feeling physically and mentally ****ed up :/

Sorry dont know what the purpose of this was so... But if anyone needs to chat they can always PM me. Thanks for whoever reads.

Thanks for the good wishes. Am feeling good about it the more I read about the place.... am trying not to get my hopes up too much. Feel sick in a non-anxious way right now, hope to feck I'm not actually coming down with something!

Is the cold just getting everyone down? Not in a blase kind of way, I just feel like hibernating and am wondering is it normal for this time of year. Was like this all last week and have no energy or motivation.

Hi new posters! Sorry to hear about anxiety, it really is a curse, and I completely empathise with the self consciousness aspect. A lot of my anxiety is rooted in dealing with other people - take them out of the equation and I'd be grand. A few weeks back when I started posting here it helped along with breathing - I;d say a whole week passed where I felt heart-attacky all the time, but breathing eased it and it got easier to make myself breathe properly as the days passed.

For the poster who asked about counselling, you know yourself best, but I found talking in general helps (like posting here, or just chatting to someone who youre comfortable with) but also got a lot out of psychotherapy too. When I was bad recently I hadnt been in a while and really needed the session but felt bad for not going regularly enough. Am hoping to go more often and not just when things get bad. In the past I attended counselling on a couple of occasions when incidents were happening in my life. In one instance when the problem went away I no longer felt the need to attend but was very grateful for the chance to get support. Second time a similar thing happened but issues kicked off again later and it was also great to be able to go back to the counsellor and work through it. Any time I've gone it;s been beneficial anyway, even just for the chance to talk in a safe place and get emotional if need be.

Sygnus13 wrote: »
    Hi all, first time poster here. Feel lost confused and fed up. My anxiety has gotten the better of me. In the last two months I've been to A&E twice. Te first time I thought I was having a heart attack. And only recently because I cannot cope.

I'm afraid to leave my house because of the amount of panic attacks I've had in the only route I can take to get to my course. Even walking to the shops 5 minutes away from me is difficult. I am sick of feeling physically and mentally ****ed up :/

Sorry dont know what the purpose of this was so... But if anyone needs to chat they can always PM me. Thanks for whoever reads.

Hi and welcome to the group. Have you been to your gp yet? If you haven't maybe you could go and have a chat about how you have been feeling. I highly recommend seeing a psychologist. Myself I've been on medication for a while but the two psychology sessions I've attended are already helping me deal with anxiety and I've suffered chronic severe anxiety with depression. Please don't suffer in silence. What you are feeling is very common and there is help for you.

You deserve to live a happy life free from anxiety so please go and speak to somebody and remember we are always here to chat to on this page.

Root of my depression is holding in anger.

Im ****ing fuming right now. If i say what needs to be said to some friends then i lose them. Sure, my anger would be released and i would be away from the hurt they sometimes cause but at the same time i know it will make me worse and i will sink back down to where i was. One part of me would be relived i wont have to see them again, another part devastated.

But tbh, i am not happy where i am right now and i havent been happy for a long time, i was so happy living away form here, living away from everyone. Im just counting down the days until i leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

I have SA, and just realising i can't expect my mother to understand the kind of stress it puts on me. I just want to explain this so that she doesn't feel offended by the way I behave, but almost not worth explaining because only I can understand the kind of stress. Basically, it's like having your head in a vice, and you don't want to communicate and you can't emote until the pressure around your mind goes down. Not a nice place to be in; but if people's can't understand this feeling, sometimes better off to just say 'i'm stressed, don't feel offended by my behaviour'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

so tired of everything, work not keeping me in balance, physical pain worsening, yet slept through my appointment yesterday so angry at my self which is ramping up the physical pain.. Nightshift ahead, but working by myself so there's that advantage because i can't be around people today.

Rant over.. :o

agh supposed to be skyping now but it got postponed for a little while. its so nerve-wracking! sitting at home feeling nervy is no fun. trying to breathe. This happened last time I did one too, feel like a plonker for being punctual (and hoping it doesnt come across as pushy!)

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    I have SA, and just realising i can't expect my mother to understand the kind of stress it puts on me. I just want to explain this so that she doesn't feel offended by the way I behave, but almost not worth explaining because only I can understand the kind of stress. Basically, it's like having your head in a vice, and you don't want to communicate and you can't emote until the pressure around your mind goes down. Not a nice place to be in; but if people's can't understand this feeling, sometimes better off to just say 'i'm stressed, don't feel offended by my behaviour'.

I think it is so worth trying to explain, especially to your mother who might want a chance to understand.

When we first met our daughter's boyfriend we didn't know that he was uncomfortable eating in front of people and that he found it hard to make eye contact because he didn't feel worthy. I love to cook and all her other male friends really enjoy my meals so I couldn't understand why he would never stay to dinner. When it was explained to me (by her) it made a huge difference and so then I would never dream of putting him in an uncomfortable situation and we were very gentle with him.

A couple of years down the line he rarely eats dinner here, but he will have breakfast if he stays over on a weekend. He will sit and have a beer or tea with us and chat away very comfortably and he came on holiday with us and we ate out most nights. It made a huge difference to all of us knowing what he could tolerate and we weren't offended at all.

• Advertisement

stinkle wrote: »
    agh supposed to be skyping now but it got postponed for a little while. its so nerve-wracking! sitting at home feeling nervy is no fun. trying to breathe. This happened last time I did one too, feel like a plonker for being punctual (and hoping it doesnt come across as pushy!)

Good luck stinkle, anyone would be nervous in that situation. Fingers crossed, you can do it. :)

Describes me sometimes

42338f02cab3fa97b6467bb6c937cfb6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Stressed and somewhat down because of it. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 swirl

Well this is my first ever thread. I am a 16 year old M and I am from Cork. I have struggled with social anxiety since 6th class, I am not sure what started it. Basically ever since I've spent my free time just sitting at hone in front of the computer, It never really affected my emotions until recently. You see, due to this I am 16 years old with NO friends. A few months ago I met this girl online, we are a similar age and have similar interests, she suffers from social Anxiety, As pathetic as it sounds we fell in 'love'?. I know we are young and probably unsure. The only problem is that she lives in America. A few weeks ago she relapsed into depression again due to some other guy. About 2 weeks ago she started to become stressed and overwhelmed with school and life. One of the things that made this hard for her is that I live so far away. So basically she asked if we could 'take a break'. She says she is unsure but I know its probably best if we do, for her sake. She told me this yesterday but I knew this was coming for a few days.

This will probably be easier for her since she has some friends, but me, I have nobody. I don't want my family to know unless its necessary. I feel awful, she was the ONLY friend I had.

Although I was okay being lonely before I met her, she built my heart up and now its broken. I don't know what to do. I guess thats why I am typing here. I have done a few things over the last few days that I am not happy with (Smoking, Cutting) although these dont help. I feel like I just want to 'Quit' but I refuse to, for my families sake.

I guess this is me asking if anyone can tell me what to do, or not to do.
    I'm at a point where I just don't know what to do, and this whole situation is really making me depressed and I just need some guidance.

Hi there,

I'm a bit late but I just wanted to let you know that there is a really good website for young people like you called www.ReachOut.com It has some very useful fact sheets and videos that you might find useful as well as a list of where to get some extra help and advice. Just stay positive.

Perhaps you could make new friends by joining a club (sports, music etc.)? What about the people in your class at school? Maybe try sitting next to someone that you haven't spoken to before?

Is there a teacher at your school that you can trust to talk to? That could help.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ZenPit

So I've been taking various Nootropics to help with my anxiety/depression along with the additional benefits of memory/cognition enhancements. I've recently stumbled upon something called Tianeptine and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with it as it has some pretty strong reports for helping with anxiety/depression.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My pieta house sessions have ended and now I feel even worse :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

ZenPit wrote: »
    So I've been taking various Nootropics to help with my anxiety/depression along with the additional benefits of memory/cognition enhancements. I've recently stumbled upon something called Tianeptine and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with it as it has some pretty strong reports for helping with anxiety/depression.

Cheers!

You should consult with your doctor as he is the expert and will know if it's suitable or not.

Thing is my physician isn't too knowledgeable regarding Nootropics, I actually had to discuss with her what Piracetam and a few others were. I've already called her office though to speak with her regarding this. Just was curious as to if anyone else had heard of TIaneptine or tried it. :)

ZenPit wrote: »
    Thing is my physician isn't too knowledgeable regarding Nootropics, I actually had to discuss with her what Piracetam and a few others were. I've already called her office though to speak with her regarding this. Just was curious as to if anyone else had heard of TIaneptine or tried it. :)

Hi is it your gp or a psychiatrist your getting prescribed meds from? I find my gp doesn't know an awful lot about psychiatric meds but my psychiatrist does. I can't say ive ever heard of either med you have mentioned but I wish you well.

• Advertisement

My initial prescription was from a psychiatrist, but it wasn't something I could use for anxiety and depression and was primarily for other issues I have. My GP is who I talk to concerning the various drugs I'm taking currently that aren't prescription. And the drugs aren't prescribeable (sp) at least not where I am currently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement