Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

I only a very small group of friends (4) but I must rather this way. I can trust them with anything. Rather have a small group of freinds that will be there for ya then loads of friends who only want something from you.

College stress here too, trying to get my application for TCD atm also, never knew applying as a mature student could be so stressful.

Had a bad weekend over all. Horrible thoughts, low self-esteem also relationship problems. Just being in a foul humor for days now :(

Sorry for ramble

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

So It's that time of year again.... And I'm beginning to realize who my true friends really are

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnchristmas1

have any of ye tried cognitive behavioural therapy?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

A little, with my therapist a few years ago. I also got a couple of books and did a bit myself. It can work very well, from what I can gather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Very very very very bad suicidal at the moment. Need to get home to stop..

• Advertisement

Hold on Gremlinertia. It gets better

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Got home where it's safer at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Got home where it's safer at least.

Hope your feeling a bit better today

To Johnchristmas1 that's fine you don't agree with benzos or ssri's but plenty of people take these medications with success. They are often used in combination with therapy and I personally have had great results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

Hi all,

been reading this thread for a while but never posted before. I can relate to a lot of what you say, have always had anxiety as long as i can remember. I had a difficult childhood, I was always a loner and was my behavior was a bit strange. When i was 6 i stopped talking in school and was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder shorty afterwards. I spent nearly all of my school years being crippled with anxiety and couldn't talk to anyone except my family:( as a result of my not talking i was bullied for most of my time during school. When i was 15 i was diagnosed with AS (asperger's). I also was scared to leave my house, wouldn't go anywhere on my own. I had been seeing a psychiatrist for quite some time, and still do every so often. When i was 18 the psychariest that was seeing me at the time decided to try a trial on lexapro. Things started to improve after that:) my anxiety greatly eased and i decided i wanted to talk in school. With a help of a psychologist i manged to talk a little. It was very hard work but it was so worth it:D I'm still on the lexapro now and it had helped massively. I'm now living independiantly ( a big change from a few years ago!) and in a relationship:) I still get anxious about things but in general I seem to be doing ok:)

looking forward to chatting and supporting everyone here:)

• Advertisement

Hi all,

been reading this thread for a while but never posted before. I can relate to a lot of what you say, have always had anxiety as long as i can remember. I had a difficult childhood, I was always a loner and was my behavior was a bit strange. When i was 6 i stopped talking in school and was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder shorty afterwards. I spent nearly all of my school years being crippled with anxiety and couldn't talk to anyone except my family:( as a result of my not talking i was bullied for most of my time during school. When i was 15 i was diagnosed with AS (asperger's). I also was scared to leave my house, wouldn't go anywhere on my own. I had been seeing a psychiatrist for quite some time, and still do every so often. When i was 18 the psychariest that was seeing me at the time decided to try a trial on lexapro. Things started to improve after that:) my anxiety greatly eased and i decided i wanted to talk in school. With a help of a psychologist i manged to talk a little. It was very hard work but it was so worth it:D I'm still on the lexapro now and it had helped massively. I'm now living independiantly ( a big change from a few years ago!) and in a relationship:) I still get anxious about things but in general I seem to be doing ok:)

That's a great improvement and very encouraging. Well done for getting to where you are now

lukesmom wrote: »
    That's a great improvement and very encouraging. Well done for getting to where you are now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Hi all,

thanks for sharing!!!

ugh I dont know am I feeling bad or feeling NOTHING. Made a bit of a fool of myself the other day after too much booze. It's really not agreeing with me physically or mentally, and it's totally pointless putting myself in those situations when I'm trying hard to cope with anxiety. I had a great plan of healthy eating, exercise etc but sure all that goes out the window if I'm not looking after myself in other ways.

Am totally unmotivated in work. I keep putting stuff off which has a knock-on effect for other things too. To be fair to myself, I was v busy and stressed with the job application I did over the last 2 weeks and was consumed with just doing what needed to be done at work and even at home. I don't know how the job application has gone, which might explain the "limbo" I'm feeling. I've heard nothing this week, which is a bit unusual based on previous communications...

Really couldnt face getting up today, but made it in and while I've lots to get through I'm getting there. The stuff I'm putting off involves asking people for time/help and I keep having the "in the way" feeling and am deliberately avoiding this by not speaking to the relevant people. Hate feeling like this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Hi,
    I'm 17 and I've been dealing with anxiety and depression for quite a few years, since I was about 10, but never told anyone, I was also diagnosed with asperger's syndrome when I was younger(don't remember when, less than 10 years, more than 5). Recently, over the last say 15 months, it's gotten much worse, it started around Summer 2012 where I'd often get very anxious and depressed about my friends possibly not liking me. over the next year or so, it remained like that, but then around the end of August this year, it got even worse. I got to the point where, even though I do have quite a few close friends, I got to the point where I didn't see the point in doing anything and distanced myself from all of them except my best friend, ever since then, nearly every day I'd wake up and spend hours in bed after waking up, depending on the day it could be about 3 hours, other days it could be like 10 hours. I've self harmed a few times, but due to the fact I don't want anyone close to me seeing it and getting worried, I've tried my best not to, and haven't in quite some time. It took me quite a while to work up the courage, but eventually I told my mother and went to my GP. He gave me somewhat of an assessment and came to the conclusion that he feels I'm suffering from bipolar or depression, which I definitely agree with. He referred me onto one place, they referred me onto another, eventually I went to a clinic and we talked to figure out the best course of treatment, and immediately, without any other options, they suggested taking a medication. I'm highly against this and refuse to do it, for a multitude of reasons, firstly, I took a similar medication for Asperger's syndrome when I was younger and it limited my progress quite a lot along with some other nasty side effects. So I explained this, and they said due to the fact I have a violent history(and not even a bad one) they refuse to treat me if I don't take medication, which I'm refusing to do. Lately in the last 3 weeks, it's gotten even worse, in the last week and a half I've only left my house twice other than times which I needed to. And every single day I've had thoughts of suicide and the only thing that stops me from doing it is thinking that eventually everything has to get better.
    I'm also dealing with an older brother who lives with me who quite honestly seems like he wants me to kill myself. He constantly tells me I'd be better off dead and I should kill myself, tells me to cut myself, throw myself down the stairs, calls me retarded due to the fact I have asperger's which he's done for years. He went so far as to spread rumours about me in my extended family who for some reason believe him over me and my mother, so I can't talk to any of them, bar my grandmother anymore. He's also gotten to the point where he's literally trying to make me think I'm mentally insane, he's accused me of doing things which I haven't done, just earlier he literally accused me of finger painting my name on his bedroom wall despite the fact I didn't do it and remember doing everything since I've gotten up. As well as the fact there was no paint on my body at all. He constantly tries to say my mother hates me, despite the fact this obviously isn't true, he constantly reminds me how I can't talk to the rest of my family because of him and everything like this. My mother, of course tells him to stop every time he says something, but he doesn't listen. I've told her to throw him out and make him live on his own quite a few times, but due to the fact he doesn't have a job and can't afford to live on his own she doesn't have to heart to do it, which I can somewhat understand.
    Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm honestly prepared to try anything(bar medication) at this point.

I am thanks x

Swings and roundabouts i must say here.. Really crashing lows, difficult to deal with, but at least i haven't had the opposite job of awake for four/five days trying not to bankrupt myself and lose my job with the 'great ideas' i have while high as a coot..

How are all the rest of you doing?

Hi,
    I'm 17 and I've been dealing with anxiety and depression for quite a few years, since I was about 10, but never told anyone, I was also diagnosed with asperger's syndrome when I was younger(don't remember when, less than 10 years, more than 5). Recently, over the last say 15 months, it's gotten much worse, it started around Summer 2012 where I'd often get very anxious and depressed about my friends possibly not liking me. over the next year or so, it remained like that, but then around the end of August this year, it got even worse. I got to the point where, even though I do have quite a few close friends, I got to the point where I didn't see the point in doing anything and distanced myself from all of them except my best friend, ever since then, nearly every day I'd wake up and spend hours in bed after waking up, depending on the day it could be about 3 hours, other days it could be like 10 hours. I've self harmed a few times, but due to the fact I don't want anyone close to me seeing it and getting worried, I've tried my best not to, and haven't in quite some time. It took me quite a while to work up the courage, but eventually I told my mother and went to my GP. He gave me somewhat of an assessment and came to the conclusion that he feels I'm suffering from bipolar or depression, which I definitely agree with. He referred me onto one place, they referred me onto another, eventually I went to a clinic and we talked to figure out the best course of treatment, and immediately, without any other options, they suggested taking a medication. I'm highly against this and refuse to do it, for a multitude of reasons, firstly, I took a similar medication for Asperger's syndrome when I was younger and it limited my progress quite a lot along with some other nasty side effects. So I explained this, and they said due to the fact I have a violent history(and not even a bad one) they refuse to treat me if I don't take medication, which I'm refusing to do. Lately in the last 3 weeks, it's gotten even worse, in the last week and a half I've only left my house twice other than times which I needed to. And every single day I've had thoughts of suicide and the only thing that stops me from doing it is thinking that eventually everything has to get better.
    I'm also dealing with an older brother who lives with me who quite honestly seems like he wants me to kill myself. He constantly tells me I'd be better off dead and I should kill myself, tells me to cut myself, throw myself down the stairs, calls me retarded due to the fact I have asperger's which he's done for years. He went so far as to spread rumours about me in my extended family who for some reason believe him over me and my mother, so I can't talk to any of them, bar my grandmother anymore. He's also gotten to the point where he's literally trying to make me think I'm mentally insane, he's accused me of doing things which I haven't done, just earlier he literally accused me of finger painting my name on his bedroom wall despite the fact I didn't do it and remember doing everything since I've gotten up. As well as the fact there was no paint on my body at all. He constantly tries to say my mother hates me, despite the fact this obviously isn't true, he constantly reminds me how I can't talk to the rest of my family because of him and everything like this. My mother, of course tells him to stop every time he says something, but he doesn't listen. I've told her to throw him out and make him live on his own quite a few times, but due to the fact he doesn't have a job and can't afford to live on his own she doesn't have to heart to do it, which I can somewhat understand.
    Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm honestly prepared to try anything(bar medication) at this point.

I'm so sorry for you sweetie - you're dealing with so much and it's even tougher when you have family conflict as well.

I would suggest talking to your GP about non-medicated solutions, such as counselling. I know that they will encourage you to try medication, and it can be tough to resist. There is also the option of private counselling, but that's expensive. However your GP should be able to recommend someone they know who is good.

In the immediate sense, have you tried calling Aware (1890 303 302) or the Samaritans (1850 60 90 90)? Just talking through your problems with someone can make you feel better right now, even though that's not a long term solution. They both also offer email support if you're not up for picking up the phone.

Can I ask what, if any, support you're getting for your Asperger's?

Thinking of you, hold on, we're here if you need to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,870 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

DM addict wrote: »
    I'm so sorry for you sweetie - you're dealing with so much and it's even tougher when you have family conflict as well.

I would suggest talking to your GP about non-medicated solutions, such as counselling. I know that they will encourage you to try medication, and it can be tough to resist. There is also the option of private counselling, but that's expensive. However your GP should be able to recommend someone they know who is good.

In the immediate sense, have you tried calling Aware (1890 303 302) or the Samaritans (1850 60 90 90)? Just talking through your problems with someone can make you feel better right now, even though that's not a long term solution. They both also offer email support if you're not up for picking up the phone.

Can I ask what, if any, support you're getting for your Asperger's?

Thinking of you, hold on, we're here if you need to talk.

+1 on this.

My son also has Aspergers and depression and anxiety and detested medication with a passion. He has been having counselling for over a year on a weekly basis and has improved a lot, talk therapy .

As DM addict said, please talk to your Gp who should be able to refer you to a professional. You have a lot going on that you've to deal with, but there are a lot of great people on here that can give you good advice on how to get some help and support.

Hope things improve for you soon..

seem to be doing alright here, been a bit unwell in the last few days but on antibiotic so hope it clears up. If it doesn't i may have to go for a operation which ..the thought of that scares me, never had one before and i suppose its to with the loss of control. Have some anxiety with that and other small things but i seem to be managing it ok. Had a heart to heart with someone recently and that helped a lot:)

@ betterthanthou: I'm sorry you're going through this, sounds really rough. As the other poster said you could try counselling or going to the gp. If you find it difficult to express yourself ( as aspies do and I'm the same) you could write your feelings down in a letter or in an email and show it to someone you trust, or at the appointment with the gp etc. It's really helped me express myself i do find it hard and as I'm shy in person i tend to be quiet and not say much. I hope things improve for you, pm is there if you want to talk

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Hi all!

Just a reminder for the meetup tomorrow. Three o'clock in the Octagon Bar, Clarence Hotel, Wellington Quay, Dublin 2.

I will be wearing a leopard print scarf (along with some other clothes, so as not to frighten the good people of Dublin).

Hope to meet a few of you.

Best wishes

Murria :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

might not be able to make it till after 5 tomorrow - is that likely to be too late?

happy to say I'm having a good couple of days, the old me is returning and the employer got back to me yesterday to apologise for the delay, theyve been v busy and will be in touch properly soon. It's still looking good anyway. Will be seeing lots of lovely people (hopefully including some on here) in the coming days and I've lots of yoga classes booked, so am keeping busy but hopefully healthy too over the next few days

stinkle wrote: »
    might not be able to make it till after 5 tomorrow - is that likely to be too late?

If you check this thread around 4ish, I will leave a message to let you know how its going. :)

Would love to meet you all tomorrow but alas I've no minder for my 3 kids but I hope you have a lovely time xxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hey guys,

Cant go. Studying for professional exams in 2 weeks. My back is in bits and its painful to drive. Told to avoid driving until mini op l. Procedure next Fri in Blackrock to ease the pain though :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

murria wrote: »
    Hi all!

Just a reminder for the meetup tomorrow. Three o'clock in the Octagon Bar, Clarence Hotel, Wellington Quay, Dublin 2.

I will be wearing a leopard print scarf (along with some other clothes, so as not to frighten the good people of Dublin).

Hope to meet a few of you.

Best wishes

Murria :)

I'm tempted...

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm tempted...

Well I might bring some sweets. :D

Heyo - hope the meet goes well today. I cannot make it since one, I'm over the west and two, I work all weekend. But I'll be with ye in spirit here..

Heyo - hope the meet goes well today. I cannot make it since one, I'm over the west and two, I work all weekend. But I'll be with ye in spirit here..

Thanks Grem, we'll have raise a glass to you.:)

• Advertisement

Hope ye had fun yesterday, i had a kinda rough one here, anniversary of two people this week who died from suicide. Still flashes of guilt and rage, the kinda depression blanket one doesn't want to snuggle up in.. I still give the impression that i'm the strong one for many in the circle, and it's not always true.. Working alone tonight which will hopefully suit..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement