Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Bigjacklad wrote: »
    Hi Chazz...thank you for the reply...it really means a lot to know there's someone out there listening to the likes of me.. I'm at the end of my tether at the moment and I just cant see andychinks of light... but from the bottom of my heart I appreciate your post...I used to do amateur dramatics when I was younger and I really enjoyed the experience... so perhaps I may join the drama group... I really need something..

Come along next Tuesday (and every tuesday), first workshop is free.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1089

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

banquo wrote: »
    Your college should accept a note from a doctor and see if they'll take other options under consideration. Going only by continuous assessment marks could be an option, they did that for me before in maynooth (though i was just a moron who turned up on the wrong day of the exam, i have the dumb)

Anxiety? Why, the prospect of another year in college could only worsen your chronic condition! College has a duty of care, etc. At the very least you should be able to do the module again next year for free. But push for your CA mark to account for your total grade, and I'd at mark isn't great then Pass by Compensation should kick in and save the day :)

The full module was CA and I failed it :P I got a note from the doctor but UCC work under weird rules, I hope they add in the one in class test I did pass... I might ask if they can. I really need those 29 marks like. Nope, I'd have to pay! and UCC Arts doesnt do pass by compensation :(

I'll send an email tonight to people in the uni and see what can be done. I sat the exams, I defo havent passed. The doc note will only count for 10 marks... crazy like cos I've passed all my other exams and the anxiety just ruined my chances of going into 2nd year. UCC dont care as long as they make money... meanwhile I just wanna get out and go on into doing my degree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My little sister came home on Tuesday :) I don't see her very often, well didn't, cos she used to go to boarding school in the UK, but they closed it now, so she's home. I really do love her quite a lot, we get on really well, she's smart for an 8 year old, so we've spent a fair bit of time together over the past few days, specially with my mum in hospital.

But. And I can't quite pinpoint it, my friend told me I was overreacting, there's something not right with her. I know. And I'm feeling too happy myself right now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

(I have never posted in here before ... I just kind of lurk :o I'm sorry this is kind of long)

But anyway. No one I usually talk to is awake/answering me so I thought I'd post here. I don't know if I can do that or not but I don't really know what else to do. :(

I recently told my bf that I feel awful (again). I've only met him this last February. Anyway, he's gone back home for college and I'm still in Dublin and I've been quite mean and moody and cranky to him all summer so I thought I'd tell him why. I don't think he actually understood how serious I was being (the last time I felt this bad I ended up in hospital and he knows that) because he hasn't stopped with constantly nagging me to be nicer to him and be polite and talk about fun things. His sole piece of advice was: "oh depression's just a chemical imbalance, you just need to change your diet and exercise more. You just haven't found the right balance". Subsequently told him that that doesn't really work for me, and his response was "Then you're not going to get better then". :rolleyes:

Fast forward to today where I logged into his FB account so I could send myself gifts in some stupid game. He knows I do this and he knows I have his password, and lets me log in so he doesn't have to play the stupid game. Then made the mistake of checking his messages because he's been acting strange to me lately (personally I thought he liked someone else but eh...)

Found a lovely message saying "Since I got back from travelling, she's been the most almighty bitch. Once her [repeat] exams are over, we're over. . . I'm not [sorry]. I'm so sick of her **** it's not even funny. *friend says something about he's being nice waiting for me to finish exams* Yeah, she's pretty fragile. If I break up with her now I'm afraid she might lose it, break down, not study and fail her exams." He then went on to have a conversation with ME saying he misses me and he wishes he could come see me.

I don't know whether to be sad or angry. Both. I don't know what to do. :(

I'm really sorry to hear that polka dot :( are you ok?

• Advertisement

I don't know. Upset, yes. I have calmed down a lot though but he is right about me not needing this before my exams. He's still acting like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth so I'm confused as to whether I should play along or call him out on it. Either way I just feel stupid for thinking he'd take it well.

If I were you, I'd call him out on it now, rather than leaving it to fester.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

polka dot, i'm with cloud on this one, personally i wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything until this is out in the open. Bear in mind though that the guy was having a chat with his mate, he may have been talking more harshly than he would with you.

polka dot, i'm with cloud on this one, personally i wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything until this is out in the open. Bear in mind though that the guy was having a chat with his mate, he may have been talking more harshly than he would with you.

Thank you (and Cloud) I did call him out on it, and like you said he said that he was just angry at the time and he doesn't want to do that at all.

I've asked/am currently pushing to have a break and talk to him properly after my exams because we keep fighting and it's getting me even more down and I can't concentrate on study and I wouldn't be able to handle failing ... eh again.

Thank you both a lot though. I would have just left it and brooded over it for weeks otherwise. Going to try and contact the mental health service when I get back to college, I don't know anything around where I live. :confused:

So this Being lonely thing. Not much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Bigjacklad

Morning all....thank god i got thru another nite....i think the anxiety is beginning to ease...but the nights are still very bad... I wouldnt want anyone to have these feelings....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Not having a good time. Was sick earlier in the week and I'm trying to put it down to that but.... so anxious, cranky, p'ed off with the world. Ready to bloody scream. And starting to stray into very negative ideas. trying to stay away from it. I hate this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

It's amazing how you can do so well for weeks at a time, start looking forward to the future and imagine yourself crawling out of that hole forever....

....then one single night of weird dreams is enough to distort your mind and turn you into self-pitying mopey mess again. :( I've been avoiding the reality of what the next year is going to entail for me, of how much my future depends on what happens in the next 12 months. If it goes well, I'm almost certainly gonna be ok. But if it all goes wrong, I can't honestly see the point of living beyond it. It's basically gonna be a "live or die" coin toss.

And the past is still the past. It still hasn't changed, and it never will. And I'll never be able to make peace with that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Going unreg this time.

So I decided to go back to the doctor a few days ago. Basically I've been having issues with anxiety and depression and I'm seeing a psychologist and getting CBT. It's helping I think but the anxiety episodes were getting a bit worse. I recently changed jobs too after being made redundant unexpectedly in my last job so I think I'm experiencing a bit of stress related to that still as I'm not settled or happy in the new job so far.

The doctor has put me on some anti-depressants which will hopefully help with both, she said they probably would.

I've always been a worrier, but it definitely seems to have got worse over the last couple of years. Hopefully this will take the edge off and bring me back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bigjacklad

Captain...everyone has a past that they have to live with....and some people let the past cloud their present and future...what we have to do is try and let go of the negativity ... focus on the positives...and move into the future with hope and anticipation for a new beginning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Oh I know, it's just that today's a bad day, and I haven't had a bad day in a while so it's a bit unnerving. Bad days make you think about stuff you're not supposed to think about, or stuff you should have forgotten about ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Anyone about

Hey, How are things manual_man? Pretty quiet this evening

neemish wrote: »
    Hey, How are things manual_man? Pretty quiet this evening

Quiet indeed... i'm depressed, in fact i'm allowing myself to be depressed! and i tell ya it's not too bad!

How's things with yourself?

• Advertisement

Rough few days for some reason. Realised earlier that I was actually very panicky - my breathing was fast, not able to settle, thoughts raacing a fair bit. I'm a bit calmer now.
    How do you let yourself be depressed?! I'm curious!

Rough few days for some reason. Realised earlier that I was actually very panicky - my breathing was fast, not able to settle, thoughts raacing a fair bit. I'm a bit calmer now.
    How do you let yourself be depressed?! I'm curious!

i just said feck it. i'm depressed. so what? i'm letting myself feel that way. i think (for me) constantly fighting it just brings it on stronger!! Ps. i know panic attacks can be awful. i think taking time out for yourself (when it's happening) and just concentrating on breathing can help. Put everything else on hold. That helps for me anyway

manual_man wrote: »
    i just said feck it. i'm depressed. so what? i'm letting myself feel that way. i think (for me) constantly fighting it just brings it on stronger!!

Ya you're right. I'm always more scared by the thought of going down than by actually being down. SO I'm trying to say, feck it so I'm having a bad day. Everyone has bad days. I'm allowed to have one too.

manual_man wrote: »
    i just said feck it. i'm depressed. so what? i'm letting myself feel that way. i think (for me) constantly fighting it just brings it on stronger!!

Ya you're right. I'm always more scared by the thought of going down than by actually being down. SO I'm trying to say, feck it so I'm having a bad day. Everyone has bad days. I'm allowed to have one too.

And you're damn right

What do you do for yourself, neemish?

Hope everyones alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

cloud493 wrote: »
    Hope everyones alright :)

If only :(

talullah wrote: »
    If only :(

What's up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Hello you guys, haven't posted in a little while! Hope you're all okay, and if not, hope it gets a bit better soon.

Can feel myself slipping back into bad thoughts the past while; was pretty low yesterday evening especially. I know things are up when I'm not in a talkative mood (usually a very chatty person)... Really need to work at getting some structure into my days, but it's easier said than done >.< Old reliable bad eating/food habits have once again reared their head this past while too, argh.

• Advertisement

Seren_ wrote: »
    Hello you guys, haven't posted in a little while! Hope you're all okay, and if not, hope it gets a bit better soon.

Can feel myself slipping back into bad thoughts the past while; was pretty low yesterday evening especially. I know things are up when I'm not in a talkative mood (usually a very chatty person)... Really need to work at getting some structure into my days, but it's easier said than done >.< Old reliable bad eating/food habits have once again reared their head this past while too, argh.

don't be too hard on yourself. depression can be a pretty cruel master. if you feel bad, let yourself feel bad. we're all allowed a bad day now and then. do things as you see fit. don't look at things in the past as a negative, but rather as a chance to do things better. be well :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement