Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bigjacklad

Good luck ASH...hope everything goes well....and I wish peace of mind to all xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Hey Guys!

I noticed some of you have been a bit worried about Jammstarr! Im still in contact with him but he is ok! He just needed a break from boards for a bit. He does feel a little guilty for leaving so suddenly, i got a little worried too but he is ok! He does appreciate all the comments wondering if he is ok! He is getting back on track and i am so proud of him for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paddyopot

Hello, i too suffer with depression and anxiety almost all of my life. It's an enormous struggle to get through each day, i can barely motivate myself to do anything sometimes. I have been on several different antidepressants but they made me feel no better,,, worse if anything.
    Anyway, it's nice to see i'm not alone, thanks. (i'm new, first post)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

paddyopot wrote: »
    Hello, i too suffer with depression and anxiety almost all of my life. It's an enormous struggle to get through each day, i can barely motivate myself to do anything sometimes. I have been on several different antidepressants but they made me feel no better,,, worse if anything.
    Anyway, it's nice to see i'm not alone, thanks. (i'm new, first post)

Welcome. Feel free to talk about all the things no-one else seems to understand. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Good luck Ashblag. Thinking of you.X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys I'm feeling really not so great lately. I'm suffering from constant brain fog which is the worst, friends have all left me.I was more of a tag-a-long they just accepted me for years and would text back when I text them but never texted me first. I havn't texted any of them in 3 months and not one of them have texted me so I guess there not real friends, not even a message on Facebook. They never asked me to anything so f**k em. I have recently quit my job and I have no idea why, just sit at home doing nothing all day. I think the depression started around six months ago and this caused me to quit. I feel like life is pointless and what is the point of living unless your rich and even then I realize that money wont make me happy. I just don't see the point in living, working 9 to 5 in a job I hate. I'm not going to self hurt or suicide or anything like that. Time is going by and I feel I have no purpose on earth. What is the point really? I feel it really difficult to communicate with people and sometimes when I'm on my own with people its just complete silence, we have nothing to talk about. I seem to be okay in a group. Even talking to women or men when I'm on my own with theres just an awkward silence. Im going to go to the doctor soon

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mimbo

phi3 wrote: »
    Welcome. Feel free to talk about all the things no-one else seems to understand. :)

Howdy Paddyopot, welcome to boards. :) Totally agree with the above quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

So, for all the pep talks I gave on here recently, I too am going through a rough patch, thinking all the same thoughts as others were. Grr, life can be annoying. The dawn is always darkest, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

So, for all the pep talks I gave on here recently, I too am going through a rough patch, thinking all the same thoughts as others were. Grr, life can be annoying. The dawn is always darkest, etc.

Stay with it bro. It's always ''easier said than done." So don't beat yourself up for feeling down after dispensing advice, y'hear? Rough patches come and go, you or me or anyone on this forum will tell you that.

If you're bored of the usual outlets you can always PM me if you need someone fresh to talk to.

banquo wrote: »

Stay with it bro. It's always ''easier said than done." So don't beat yourself up for feeling down after dispensing advice, y'hear? Rough patches come and go, you or me or anyone on this forum will tell you that.

If you're bored of the usual outlets you can always PM me if you need someone fresh to talk to.

Ah, I will be ok. I am at TCD cricket grounds now in the sun with a coffee and cigarette. Things could be worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Going through a bad patch too. Driving 2 hours to work in the mornings and 2 hours home at night is wearing me down very fast. I had a chat with the on-site Health Nurse, who suggested working from home one day a week so I don't burn out. Brilliant idea, shot down by my manager.

I'm not long in the job and I can't cope with the stress anymore brought on by having Bipolar, a stress which is triggered by stupid little things. It's not a post to complain about simple little things, but I'm under pressure from multiple sides. I'd love to move closer to work, but I can't afford it and I get paid by the month, an absolute pain in the hole.

So I just needed that quick little venting session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

I'm curious. How many of you suffer from constant "brain fog" and perhaps you can explain what you experience?

thanks

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    I'm curious. How many of you suffer from constant "brain fog" and perhaps you can explain what you experience?

thanks

Never heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Doing well atm. The medication change has really helped, still get anxious in the evening but I'm coping.

Hang in there guy/gals things can, and will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Feeling really crap today. I have suffered with social anxiety for as log as I can remember, I'm 35 and have never been in a proper relationship with anyone. So last week I finally got the courage to tell one of my close friends I like her and asked her out, unfortunately she said she doesn't see me in the same way and we agreed we'd stay good friends. The rejection was hard to take but I was really proud of myself for being brave enough to tell her how I feel and being able to deal with the rejection.
    Then the other day on a night out I see her kissing one of my other friends. I flipped at first but the next day I found out that they had started seeing each other before I asked her out, I'm happy for both of them because they are my friends but I still feel like ****.
    To top all this off my sister had a miscarriage which I'm really upset about but am feeling guilty that I'm feeling really sorry for my self when I should be worrying about her.

Anyway I'm just feeling bad at the moment and think I should maybe go see a Counsellor or Psychotherapist to sort out my social anxiety.

Went for appt with psychiatrist at 2pm today. They didn't show up. Nice. I won't name them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

thanks to all for erplies... new meds makin me very very drowsy as was told to expect for a while. zombie like all day.
    i hope every one is ok.
    stay strong xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Earlier this week, my sister asked me why was I so sad. Made me tear up a little bit, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Panic attack can be shot in the face and murdered for their evilness...

I keep getting mini one's recently again. The stress of waiting to see if the University will accept my 3 official letters and my Medical records as proof of my being unwell and let me into second year by default. They say I've a strong case and great grounds for being allowed in... but I honestly have no idea. I keep having this feeling that they'll say no, or that they'll find fault somewhere and say no :(

Oh dear god, I am not looking forward to the next 19 days... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hi guys I'm feeling really not so great lately. I'm suffering from constant brain fog which is the worst, friends have all left me.I was more of a tag-a-long they just accepted me for years and would text back when I text them but never texted me first. I havn't texted any of them in 3 months and not one of them have texted me so I guess there not real friends, not even a message on Facebook. They never asked me to anything so f**k em. I have recently quit my job and I have no idea why, just sit at home doing nothing all day. I think the depression started around six months ago and this caused me to quit. I feel like life is pointless and what is the point of living unless your rich and even then I realize that money wont make me happy. I just don't see the point in living, working 9 to 5 in a job I hate. I'm not going to self hurt or suicide or anything like that. Time is going by and I feel I have no purpose on earth. What is the point really? I feel it really difficult to communicate with people and sometimes when I'm on my own with people its just complete silence, we have nothing to talk about. I seem to be okay in a group. Even talking to women or men when I'm on my own with theres just an awkward silence. Im going to go to the doctor soon

I'm the same. No-one ever talks to me and I feel bad about annoying them by texting them when they clearly don't want to talk to me. It's great you're going to the doctor though. Hopefully that will sort some stuff out for you.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Aswell as the anxiety, now I have mood swings to contend with :mad:

A simple thing like my mother going grocery shopping with my sister instead of me. I normally go, you see. Now I actually won't be around tomorrow so she had to get someone else. But I had myself convinved that I wasn't needed anymore and felt sad. :(

This anxiety is a complete crock of crap!

Mimbo wrote: »
    Hi,

Aswell as the anxiety, now I have mood swings to contend with :mad:

A simple thing like my mother going grocery shopping with my sister instead of me. I normally go, you see. Now I actually won't be around tomorrow so she had to get someone else. But I had myself convinved that I wasn't needed anymore and felt sad. :(

This anxiety is a complete crock of crap!

Have you ever spoken to your doctor about it?

Have you ever spoken to your doctor about it?

Yeah I have and he prescribed me more Lyrica. I have a counsellor as well. Not on new meds long so hope mood incidents calm done.

It's such crap though when they hit though. You know

Mimbo wrote: »
    Yeah I have and he prescribed me more Lyrica. I have a counsellor as well. Not on new meds long so hope mood incidents calm done.

It's such crap though when they hit though. You know

Yeah, better days are coming though.

Thanks for the support Chazz

I've been quitting hurting(since I hate the term self harm) for over a week now. Bloody terrible it is. Threw out every single razor I own, regret it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I wish I'd found this thread years ago, could really have helped me a lot! Hope it's ok posting a very long post here, maybe it might be interesting or of help to someone?

I've suffered from (social) anxiety all my life. I used to think it was just shyness, but as I got older I realised it was much more than that. Like others, I was ok in groups, but when talking one-to-one I often found it a lot harder, I always felt under pressure to be interesting/funny etc and ended up saying nothing at all and feeling guilty/embarrassed because of it.

I had no love life whatsoever. Lots of female friends, but as soon as I was interested in anyone, I became incredibly self-conscious and it was easier to avoid them than try to talk to them. Afraid of learning to drive. Afraid of team sports as I'd just let everyone down. Afraid of trying anything new. Afraid of any social situation where I'd be noticed.. dancing, weddings, in particular funerals. I very nearly didn't go to my father's funeral I was so scared about it.

The biggest problem though was work, because it was the one thing I couldn't avoid. Terrified of missing deadlines, or there being a problem with my work, or having to go on a call with a client. I'd end up watching TV or playing games to keep my mind from worrying, until 4 or 5am, and then always being late for work the following day, making everything worse.

I went through a very dark phase a few years back, when a job was going really badly. I was walking around the city at night pretty much looking for ways to kill myself. I didn't want to, but I couldn't bear the constant fear any more.

Luckily, I decided to give therapy a go first. I ended up on anti-anxiety medication and started CBT therapy. I thought the drugs might help, but didn't give therapy much chance - therapy relied on me and I had zero self-confidence.

As it worked out, the drugs didn't work for me at all, but the CBT has changed my life.

I have to laugh now, I can remember in one of the first sessions she told me "it's not about changing yourself, it's about being happy with who you are" and I said "No! I want to change myself completely! I'm not happy with who I am". And a year or so later, she was completely right. I spent my entire life being too hard on myself, blaming myself for everything.

If there's a gap in a conversation, it's my fault, I should be saying something. If there's a problem in work, it's my fault. If a girl isn't interested in me, there's something seriously wrong with me etc..

Looking back, it probably wasn't too surprising I ended up like that. My Dad was made redundant in the '80s, and his confidence was destroyed. He ended up suffering badly from depression/anxiety. Then my mother started pushing me into social activities so that "you don't end up like your father". Instead of helping, it just made everything worse.

I really believed I'd end up unhappy and scared like my father, and a complete disappointment to those around me. So all my life I've been trying to avoid any responsibility, convinced I'll definitely just end up letting people down.

I'm far from 'fixed' still, but at least now the problem is manageable.

I don't know if anyone read this far :) But let me just say this: please, please ask for help. Don't just suffer in silence. If you've tried one medication and it doesn't work, try another; there's huge differences between them. If you've tried one therapist and it's not helping, give it time. And if you have, consider trying another. I was convinced I was just 'broken' and beyond helping, but therapy has turned my life around. Don't give up!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

@ who_me i did indeed read the full post and funny enough a lot rings true - going to attempt counselling later on this week, i'm terrified but also know it needs to be done, i need to start somewhere. Have been manic the last few days and planned too much as usual. Now must try fit it all in.. :o

I'm on day.... I think it might be two weeks of not self injuring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

I'm having one of those days oblivious to everything, no energy.. made cake. was gonna try leave the house but then couldn't face it. Really don't think these meds are helping, either. But maybe it's because I haven't been so consistent with taking them. Memory is like a sieve.... may be a side effect of the tablets too..... :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement