Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

phi3 wrote: »
    You know this feeling is temporary, phi. There is light at the end of this tunnel, there always is.

Until the next time. It keeps happening. It's not going to get better.

Because the good times are worth living for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Came on to gripe about lack of sleep. I have firmly been put in perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I didn't get offered a single college course by the CAO :( fairly gutted.

cloud493 wrote: »

It's not the end of the world. For example, I know someone who was in your position, they went down the PLC route, then go into college and now have their chosen career.

As for me, I didn't start college until I was 24 (entered as mature student), now I two degress and a great job that I enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Great thread. I know boards doesn't allow medical advice but it is great to have somewhere to read that many people feel the same - I haven't gone to the doctor yet but you are giving me courage to be open. I am suffering with a lot of anxiety, excessive worrying about every little thing I have said and done, what people think of me, to the point I am sweating and panicing many times a day. I am not depressed, but muliple episodes of panic get me down quite quickly. I am at the stage where I leave the house, and have driven off only to turn around and have to go back and check everything is switched off, and I leave again and come back a second time. Even after checking I can spend hours worrying the iron is switched on and I feel sick with the dread. I know how ridiculous this is. The nasty thing is the idea of telling someone or a doctor causes more anxiety. Luckily I have a friend who has been battling a mental illness who is really open about mental health issues and is kind of aware now so I will hopefully talk some more to her (not lucky for her to have a mental illness obviously, but I mean for me to have someone who has an extra level of understanding)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It's not the end of the world. For example, I know someone who was in your position, they went down the PLC route, then go into college and now have their chosen career.

As for me, I didn't start college until I was 24 (entered as mature student), now I two degress and a great job that I enjoy.

Same myself, got my degree at 30, masters at 32. Education options are always there, and it is never too late to start. There are many diofferent ways to get into a specific course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

I know it probably feels awful now Cloud, but there's always ways around these things. Maybe something better is waiting around the corner for you. Also, no matter what, not getting an offer from the CAO doesn't define you as a person and doesn't reflect your capabilities.
    I had to leave college the first time around due to being ill. I took the time to get myself better, save up some funds and return at 24 as a mature student. I'm going into my final year in a few weeks. Things have a way of working out, so don't give up.X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Cloud, Leaving Cert doesn't reflect your intelligence or capabilities. Nor does it take things like personal circumstances into account. And it was always gonna be tricky this year with the points for a lot of courses jumping (one of the flaws in that ridiculous 25 extra bonus points for maths scheme.) Whatever area of interest you have, there's bound to be a PLC course out there that can help you get into uni, or else guide you down a career path.

I couldn't help noticing that jamstarr closed his account on here. :( I don't know if you're reading this or not but hope you're alright.

Wish I'd got at least one course though :( confidence knock you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I know its a bitch Cloud, but honestly the world probably just has something better planned for you.

If you don't mind me asking, what would you like to study?

• Advertisement

Sorry to see that jamstarr closed the account today. Hope you're ok.xxx

Phi3, how are things tonight? Stay with us, you're worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

neemish wrote: »
    Sorry to see that jamstarr closed the account today. Hope you're ok.xxx

Phi3, how are things tonight? Stay with us, you're worth it

Thanks. Slightly better but still not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Only thing making me sad is Jammstarr gone :( He was such a nice guy, always had a friendly work to say. Hope you are doing well if you read this, I'll miss you! :)

Wish I'd got at least one course though :( confidence knock you know

Same thing happened to me. Tried again the next year, now I've a degree, was student president for a year and have founded two companies (amazing thing, cyclothymia!) It sucks majorly now, but you can always turn it around, even if it doesn't feel like it now.

This is my repeat though. Was, I mean/

This is my repeat though. Was, I mean/

Remember that points have been inflated somewhat by this maths bonus points scheme. That made the task a little harder for you this time. Like I said, a friend og mine did a PLC course, then went to college and now works in her chosen career at 24. You can do that too.

Would I not be too late to apply for a PLC? I did foundation maths :/

Second level education in Ireland is a truly awful barometer of a person's worth, do NOT take it to heart.

Also, there are a list of vacant courses you could apply to after the 20th. http://www.cao.ie/courses/vpl_courses_popup.htm

I know loads about this stuff, it used to be my job. Always feel free to pm me if you want any confidential advice :)

Would I not be too late to apply for a PLC? I did foundation maths :/

I'd take banquo's offer there. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Slept about an hour or two last night, just can't switch off.

• Advertisement

Slept about an hour or two last night, just can't switch off.

It was fairly hot, too. I managed to get off to sleep eventually, but I woke a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Been a long time since I posted here. I've had my first big panic attack, I've gone since last November without one. Perfect timing, day before my last college repeat. Exam is def fecked, now gotta grovel and see if they'll let me somehow do something else to pass if I can show how ill I've been and if I've been under treatment from uni. I can't sit the exam, its failed like. Gah... stress! I'm getting sick, wired (nearly 24 hours no sleep), proper anxiety :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'd be worried about how bad things are if I hadn't gone through a threshold where feelings stop. Right now I'm living in a nightmare that is so bad that it is actually a brief relief when I imagine that I *could* wake up and be 10 again. Besides that there's nothing.

Your college should accept a note from a doctor and see if they'll take other options under consideration. Going only by continuous assessment marks could be an option, they did that for me before in maynooth (though i was just a moron who turned up on the wrong day of the exam, i have the dumb)

Anxiety? Why, the prospect of another year in college could only worsen your chronic condition! College has a duty of care, etc. At the very least you should be able to do the module again next year for free. But push for your CA mark to account for your total grade, and I'd at mark isn't great then Pass by Compensation should kick in and save the day :)

I'd be worried about how bad things are if I hadn't gone through a threshold where feelings stop. Right now I'm living in a nightmare that is so bad that it is actually a brief relief when I imagine that I *could* wake up and be 10 again. Besides that there's nothing.

When I had it bad for months in a row, I had two wonderful days (after taking up running, GO RUNNING) where I felt completely normal again, and it reminded me that there was hope. I know what it's like where youd give anything in the world to feel ok again for 5 minutes.I don't know what would have happened otherwise, but it kept me strong until I mostly overcame it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bigjacklad

Hi guys....I am paralysed by fear and self-loathing....I feel there is only one way out of this nightmare...and its something i would never have considered in my life...but it seems the only and best option.... basically i've been a coward all my life... but I think I would have the guts to do what i now have to do...sorry

Bigjacklad wrote: »
    Hi guys....I am paralysed by fear and self-loathing....I feel there is only one way out of this nightmare...and its something i would never have considered in my life...but it seems the only and best option.... basically i've been a coward all my life... but I think I would have the guts to do what i now have to do...sorry

Firstly, it takes guts to come on here and say what you just did. Secondly, the fact that you came on here probably means that somewhere inside you is a desire not to do what you are considering, and you came here because you wanted to talk to people who have experienced the same pressures you are currently going through. So those are the positives! :)

As for what you are going through now, I have been there many times, and yes that does seem like a good option at the time, but every single time that I pull out of it I always look back and thank Jebus that I didn't do it, because life is worth living when you are not depressed.

As for the coward thing, sometimes you have to push yourself a little bit to get out there more, even when you feel ****ty. A great one that I recommend to people is to join a drama group, it's a lot of fun, you get to meet great people, it builds your confidence and you can tap into your experiences when you act. There is one located here on boards if you are interested.

Bigjacklad wrote: »

Your first line struck me because that is what I have been like all day. I hate myself, I'm useless at my job, I alienate people and push them away. And yes, my mind did stray to the next part of it.

Stay with us, tomorrow might be a better day. Do something else, anything else but stay with us. xx

Hi Chazz...thank you for the reply...it really means a lot to know there's someone out there listening to the likes of me.. I'm at the end of my tether at the moment and I just cant see andychinks of light... but from the bottom of my heart I appreciate your post...I used to do amateur dramatics when I was younger and I really enjoyed the experience... so perhaps I may join the drama group... I really need something..

• Advertisement

Neemish.... with great people like you out there I have to stay... thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support xx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement