Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

Options

Comments

looder wrote: »
    The Davins beat Ballingarrry in the South.

Davins 3-9 Ballingarry 0-11

I went up for a look at this as the result would have a bearing on my own club. We now need to win at least one of the next two games to make sure that we go through. Scrappy game, very stop start with some very hard hits. Liam Cahill should have got the line for a very sneaky and dirty block down near the end on Johnny Cody, who looked to have a broken wrist coming off. Cahill was only booked. Davins got a soft goal, although the goalmouth in Fethard certainly didn't help Logue. Davins deserved to win it but can thank their Keeper/fullback line for making a number of great last ditch saves/interceptions.

I put together a table for the South Tipp results too. It's located here: http://southshc.leaguerepublic.com/ I'm too lazy to do one up for the other divisions :o

Up North

Friday night: Kilruane 1-17 Moneygall 0-19

Match report thanks to Noddy on Premierview:
    Brilliant game of hurling. both Paddy Fanning and Buggy O Meara were very impressive, wouldnt be suprised to see them play against Cork. Moneygall were very unlucky not to get anything out of the game, Niall O Meara scored a point for Kilruane near the end which looked to be wide while Moneygall also missed a few scorable chances in the 2nd half, apart from Fanning and Buggy, Ger Kirwan, PaJo Troy and Tommy Deveroux were good for Moneygall, Mikey Costelloe and Niall O Meara were impressive for Kilruane

Good to see the two Tipp panelists doing well so close to the Cork team.

No other Senior games on in Tipp due to the Tipp V Kerry match I think.

Munster JFC Result - Kerry 1-13 Tipp 0-9 - Tipp fielded an u23 development team for this game.

Good man looder. Great to see the Davins respond to idiotic calls for a championship ban, by letting their hurling do the talking. Fethard tho is a farcical pitch if you could even call it that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good win for the Davins,It will make the south Championship more Interesting.

tipp u21 lost the challenge by a point anyway. €10 admission fee was disgusting :mad:
    no program even supplied just a glossy magazine name dropping who ever involved in club board, south boards etc and on about the new so called state of the art dressing rooms and we also had a field to park in...happy days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

tippspur wrote: »
    Good win for the Davins,It will make the south Championship more Interesting.
    It'll make it more interesting alright with the Carrick Derby now looking like a do or die game.

For anyone interested, Johnny Cody had an operation this morning to get a plate inserted into his wrist. It's looking like his year is over which is a major pity as he's an excellent hurler and a genuine lad on top of it. Cahill should be ashamed of himself but to be honest, I'm not one bit surprised by his actions.

Good man looder. Great to see the Davins respond to idiotic calls for a championship ban, by letting their hurling do the talking. Fethard tho is a farcical pitch if you could even call it that.
    I don't mind Fethard too much to be honest. The goal-mouths are terrible but the surface itself isn't the worst. I'd rate it above the surface in the Clonmel sportsfield at the moment anyway, although that's still recovering from the work carried out there over the past 18 months.

• Advertisement

tipp u21 lost the challenge by a point anyway. €10 admission fee was disgusting :mad:
    no program even supplied just a glossy magazine name dropping who ever involved in club board, south boards etc and on about the new so called state of the art dressing rooms and we also had a field to park in...happy days :rolleyes:
    €10 for a challenge match is shocking, especially an u21 challenge match also.

Did anyone stick out for Tipp?

Do you have the jist of the team?

Final score was KK 3-15 Tipp 3-14 I heard.

€10 for a challenge match is shocking, especially an u21 challenge match also.

Did anyone stick out for Tipp?

Do you have the jist of the team?

Final score was KK 3-15 Tipp 3-14 I heard.

to be honest there was no teamsheet provided so i hadnt a clue who done what. Bubbles scored 1-4 i think. no6 a thurles sars lad was impressive. maher i think his name is. Logue was in goal in 1st half and Moroney who is a local lad from the Drangan/Cloneen area the 2nd. the latter made a cracking save.

great game it has to be said but what logic the st pats heads used is beyond me in charging that. the dressing rooms are impressive but its not the emirates were talking about. :) where they going with 10 euro

EDIT: Discussion here on u21 challenge

I don't mind Fethard too much to be honest. The goal-mouths are terrible but the surface itself isn't the worst.

Denis Byrne was happy with the goal mouths after his debut brace for mullinahone some years back. i remember the ball took a wicked hop after a totally speculative shot and the Killenaule gk was completely caught.

10 euro for an U/21 challenge is a bit steep ok,esp with no program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sonic boom

anybody hear the team and scorers from the senior challenge against laois? i heard corbett got a hattrick.

• Advertisement

sonic boom wrote: »
    anybody hear the team and scorers from the senior challenge against laois? i heard corbett got a hattrick.

Score was: Tipp 5-21 Laois 2-20
    Lar 3 goals, Egan and Hammersly got one goal each.ot sure of much else apart from David Young hurling very well.

Team was apparently:
    1 Gleeson
    2 Cahill 3 Curran 4 O Brien
    5 Young 6 P Maher 7 S Maher
    8 Maloney 9 B Maher
    10 Heffernan 11 Egan 12 O Brien
    13 Hammersly 14 Pat Maher (Bonnar) 15 Corbett

Tipp also played Clare tonight in a challenge match in the Stadium.

team was:
    Gleeson
    C O'Brien, P Maher, Curran
    Fanning, O'Mahony, M Cahill
    G Ryan, B Maher
    N McGrath Callinan, JO'Brien
    E Kelly, Buggy O Meara, Hammersley

Final score was: Tipp 1-16 Clare 1-13

Here's Town End's review on Premierview:
    Final score that I had was 1.16 to 1.13 but lost track there at one stage... So could have only been a point or two in it at end...

Was a poor game by all standards.... Clare hit aload of bad wides and should have went in ahead at half time.. Tipp seemed second to the ball and were throwing loose handpasses to no where...

Only 4 of the starting team finished, Glesson, Paudie Maher, Curran and Kelly... Many changes at half time and through second half...

Players that came on, David Young (went off again), Hugh Moloney, Jody Brennan, Kerwick, Shane Maher, Bonner Maher, Mike Heff, Hennessy, Egan and can't remember who else... John O'Brien went off injured with a hand injury, but the above post said it was Moloney so not sure...

Shane MaGrath was the best for Tipp when came on...

Our half forward line is still in trouble, nothing standing out tonight, Seamie didn't impress at centre forward... Buggy scored 1.1 in first few mins then went quite till getting another point in second half then went off, threw himself around anyway, better than Egan in at full anyway..

No Lar at all tonight either...

Kelly scored the most, must have got about 7 points or that, prob 5 from frees... Shane Magrath got 2 points, Timmy and Noel got a point each in first half...

Clare took some nice scores, number 9 played well in second half and got a few lovely points...

Overall alot of improvement needed for Sunday week...

Here's Premierlfcreds account of the match from PV also:
    Just home, i thought the score was 1.14 to 1.13 but probly wrong, we definitely won by a point.

Bad aul match and very little learned from it. One positive is buggy o meara, i think he will start against cork, he is a serious size of a man and won alot of possession in full forward. He scored 1.1.
    All the other forwards were very quiet, noel mcgrath and seamie callinan got a point each but they were nearly there only touches. Kelly scored points from frees and maybe 2 from play. Timmy got an early point but not alot else.
    Gearoid ryan started very well but then went off injured ,seemed a hand injury. Brendan maher was along side him and had a grand game in there. Shane mcgrath came on at half time and hurled very well, scored 2.
    In the backs, they were all solid, it was:
    conor o brian...paudie maher...curran
    fanning...o mahoney...mickey cahill
    mickey cahill was the stand out man here. he was also taken off at half time which leads me too think he will start in cork.
    Gleeson was in goal, played well, cpouldnt do antin bout the goal.

I can assure you he wasn't as happy in his managerial debut in Fethard after the Swans V Killenaule match a few years back:p

Was at tonights challenge.

Ha ha fair funny going out of the ground, who did i see in disguise only little Davy Fitz. I had my tipp track top on and he looked at me as if to say "ah f***, iv'e been copped on to". i looked at him as if to say "couldn't give a f*** Davy, bigger fish to fry" :D

Buggy played very good but maybe lacks control. Heffernan looks a class act.

The Tipp lads were hardly going to kill themselves tonight in that challange game and risk injury with the big game against Cork so near,I haven't seen this Buggy 0' Meara play yet but there seems to be lots of good reports about him.Is he good enough to start against Cork ?

The Tipp lads were hardly going to kill themselves tonight in that challange game and risk injury with the big game against Cork so near,I haven't seen this Buggy 0' Meara play yet but there seems to be lots of good reports about him.Is he good enough to start against Cork ?

speak of injury, Festy got injured tonight so i hope he'll be ok but he seemed frustrated going off. John O'Brien and Conor O'Mahoney may have also picked up knocks. Buggy might sneak in there as he gives tipp that powerhouse option. Corbett or McGrath may now fill the void at wing fwd Festy could leave if he is injured. that could leave a gap for buggy. heffernan, or hammersly.

i think buggy may well start, sheedy is a fan of the big men.

speak of injury, Festy got injured tonight so i hope he'll be ok but he seemed frustrated going off. John O'Brien and Conor O'Mahoney may have also picked up knocks. Buggy might sneak in there as he gives tipp that powerhouse option. Corbett or McGrath may now fill the void at wing fwd Festy could leave if he is injured. that could leave a gap for buggy. heffernan, or hammersly.

i think buggy may well start, sheedy is a fan of the big men.
    Fair play to Buggy. Two years ago he was only a sub on the Kilruaine Senior team that lost to Carrick Swans in a Seamus O Rian cup final. (I watched the DVD last night and he only came on for last 20 minutes- I'll have it up on Youtube soon so keep an eye on my sig :D)

yeah he seems to be very effective, looks dangerous and caused a fair bit of mayhem in the two challenge matchs ive seen him in. great to see a youngster come in and be so decisive and exude confidence, no nerves or anything as youd often see from new additions to the squad. as for davy fitz sneekin around at the match, he had everything bar a fake mustache :D

Tonight in the West:
    Friday May 21st

Tipperary Co-Op Super Valu West SHC
    In Bansha @ 7.30, Kickhams v Golden. Ref: N Cosgrove

It was a draw - Final score Golden 3.8 Kickhams 17 points.

South

Just Football this weekend. Swans Beat Commercials for anyone interested, again not sure of score as I didn't bother going.

Didn't hear anything on the North or Mid.

That was some win for the Swan in the Senior Football,I could have to that game but didn't bother cos I thought Commercials would win handy,is this the first time Swan ever beat Commercials in Senior Football Looder ?

That was some win for the Swan in the Senior Football,I could have to that game but didn't bother cos I thought Commercials would win handy,is this the first time Swan ever beat Commercials in Senior Football Looder ?
    I'm as shocked as you are TippSpur. Like the usual Swan football display, they scored a bucketful of goals after been 8 points down at half-time.

Swans were missing 4 or 5 through injury too. If they actually trained for football, they'd win a county senior.

It's the first time in a long long time anyway, not sure if it's the 1st time ever though - could very well be.

• Advertisement

well done to the swan on a great win. on an unrelated matter - i was at the u21 challenge between tipp and kk to open the new club room in cloneen but all the programs were gone by the time i arrived. anybody hear what the line up was? there was a number 22 playing corner forward for tipp n he was class, just wondering who that was

sonic boom wrote: »
    well done to the swan on a great win. on an unrelated matter - i was at the u21 challenge between tipp and kk to open the new club room in cloneen but all the programs were gone by the time i arrived. anybody hear what the line up was? there was a number 22 playing corner forward for tipp n he was class, just wondering who that was

The team named as per the programme was:

Logue
    K OGorman, J Coughlan, S OBrien
    J Barry S Hennessy C Coughlan
    Bonner Maher, J Gallagher
    A Ryan P Murphy M Heffernan
    K Morris B OMeara J ODwyer.

I've heard that this isn't the exact team that lined out though

I'm as shocked as you are TippSpur. Like the usual Swan football display, they scored a bucketful of goals after been 8 points down at half-time.

Swans were missing 4 or 5 through injury too. If they actually trained for football, they'd win a county senior.

It's the first time in a long long time anyway, not sure if it's the 1st time ever though - could very well be.
    That's why I'm so surprised,because I know the Swan doesn't put the effort into the Football as much as the Hurling,and as you say if they trained for it and put in a big effort they have the players to win things.Anyway, any time the Commercials are beaten is a good day in my book.:P;)

That's why I'm so surprised,because I know the Swan doesn't put the effort into the Football as much as the Hurling,and as you say if they trained for it and put in a big effort they have the players to win things.Anyway, any time the Commercials are beaten is a good day in my book.:P;)

It's a pity we're not gettng these type of results with the small ball!

:D

I wouldn't mind Commercials too much Tippspur, there's one or two other South clubs that I'd hate to see win a raffle never mind a match:P

What club you from yourself? ... With the anti-commercials bias, I'd be thinking it's a Clonmel club, maybe Clonmel Og or Moyle Rovers? (technically not Clonmel but their pick extends into it)

Kilsheelan/Kilcash,we're not setting the Gaa world alight these days at any level,Intermediate Footballers might be our best hope this year but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ye've been unlucky in that the last few years in fairness tippspur.

Was the rumour that Eamon Corcoran was coming in to train the hurlers bull? or is he going to come in now that the summer is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

Kilsheelan/Kilcash,we're not setting the Gaa world alight these days at any level,Intermediate Footballers might be our best hope this year but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Well ye beat our minor footballers last week so ye find yourselves in a south final there! :)

Anyway the most important result in the county was without doubt the under 21 south quarter final Swan 2-23 to Knockmealdown Gaels' 0-11 dont ya think looder?! :D

JamieK wrote: »
    Well ye beat our minor footballers last week so ye find yourselves in a south final there! :)

Anyway the most important result in the county was without doubt the under 21 south quarter final Swan 2-23 to Knockmealdown Gaels' 0-11 dont ya think looder?! :D
    You were on smoke Jamie... :D

So much so they had to bring you to hospital recently to put you out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Well lads, how do ye think we're set for sunday?

• Advertisement

Here's the Cork team/panel:

The Cork team to play Tipperary in Sunday's Munster Championship Quarter-Final at 4pm in Páirc Uí Chaoimh is as follows:

1. Donal Og Cusack (Cloyne)
    2. Shane O'Neill (Bishopstown)
    3. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
    4. Brian Murphy (Bride Rovers)
    5. John Gardiner (Na Piarsaigh)
    6. Ronan Curran (St. Finbarr's)
    7. Sean Og Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)
    8. Tom Kenny (Grenagh)
    9. Cathal Naughton (Newtownshandrum)
    10. Ben O'Connor (Newtownshandrum)
    11. Jerry O'Connor (Newtownshandrum)
    12. Niall McCarthy (Carrigtwohill)
    13. Kieran Murphy (Sarsfields) - Captain
    14. Aisake Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)
    16. Martin Coleman (Ballinhassig)
    17. Shane Murphy (Erin's Own)
    18. Eoin Dillon (Milford)
    19. Conor O'Sullivan (Sarsfields)
    20. Ray Ryan (Sarsfields)
    21. Michael Walsh (Kildorrery)
    22. Lorcan McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    23. Michael Cussen (Sarsfields)
    24. Paudie O'Sullivan (Cloyne)
    25. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
    26. Mark O'Sullivan (Dripsey)
    27. Tadgh Og Murphy (Sarsfields)
    28. Graham Callanan (Glen Rovers)
    29. Cian McCarthy (Sarsfields)
    30. Luke O'Farrell (Midleton)

No Cussen in the starting 15 which is a bit of a shock. He'll be introduced at some stage though I'd imagine.

On the game itself, I'm not overly confident for a number of reasons including the following:

*Tipp have had injury after injury this year which has interupted their preperations big time.
    *Festy is injured - a big loss to the half forward line
    *Benny Dunne is injured - As much as he let the whole county down last September, he was the winning of this fixture 12 months ago in Semple Stadium when he came on.
    *It's championship week and nobody could name the 6 forwards that sheedy will start with. Will Buggy O' Meara start for the 1st time, will he go for the tried and tested John O' Brien or will he give Timmy his debut?
    *We've beaten Cork in Cork once in the last 85 years. That was 2 years ago. Also, take into account that we are going for 4 in a row over the Leesiders and think about how likely this is? When was the last time a Tipp team beat Cork 4 times in a row (If ever?)

Here's my stab at the Tipp team that I would like to see Sunday:

Cummins safe as Fort Knox
    Curran - bad year so far by his high standards but he deserves a chance to make amends this weekend
    Paudi Maher - Has played half back in last few challenges but think he'll start at the edge of the square come Sunday.
    Paddy Stapleton - Was brilliant last year so hopefully more of the same this year
    Fanning - Mr Consistent
    O'Mahony - This man got the height of abuse during his 1st year or 2 on the team but has made number 6 his own.
    Micheal Cahill/Shane Maher - I'll go with Cahill to make his championship debut as I think he has more pace than Maher. Cahill will need it to keep into O Connor - who is named at centre forward but will more than likely start on the wing.
    Brendan Maher Find of the year at midfield
    Shane McGrath - I threw a few euro on him to be hurler of the year this year. The engine of this Tipp team
    Lar Corbett I'd start him on the wing and move him inside if needed
    Callinan I've a feeling he'll have a big one on Sunday, he's hurling well with Drom lately so hopefully that form continues.
    Garoid Ryan - if fit, if not I'd put Johnno Brien here
    Eoin Kelly - Hero, that is all!
    Timmy Hammersley I was beside this man on the Hill last September and would never have thought he was good enough for senior inter-county hurling. After a great Fitzgibbon Cup campaign he was drafted in and did well in his 1st few league games. I'd rather see Timmy start than Buggy, although Buggy is more of a goal threat in my opinion.
    The Boy Wonder - Noel McGrath - Hopefully he doesn't suffer any second season syndrome and finds the form he had this time last year.

Advertisement