Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I hope tis on the TG4 because it aint on Setanta. Its the tie of the day on Sunday so I assume it'll be on the Irish station. I won't make it because Easter Sunday afternoons are for drinking delicious pints and watching sport on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I hope tis on the TG4 because it aint on Setanta. Its the tie of the day on Sunday so I assume it'll be on the Irish station. I won't make it because Easter Sunday afternoons are for drinking delicious pints and watching sport on TV.

It would be utterly incredible if it wasn't on TV. Neither Tipp or Cork were on last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Orizio wrote: »
    It would be utterly incredible if it wasn't on TV. Neither Tipp or Cork were on last weekend.

In fairness the Killkenny game was a cracker but Tipp/Cork has the same potential.

No confirmed listings yet:

http://www.tg4.ie/bearla/scei/sport.asp

In other news the Tipperary u21 footballers won in tralee tonight. Now thats impressive! well done lads. Up the premier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

In other news the Tipperary u21 footballers won in tralee tonight. Now thats impressive! well done lads. Up the premier!
    What a fantastic win for the U/21 football team, congrats to them all.Could be the start of a very good year.:cool:

• Advertisement

Tipp V Cork live on TG4 I hear !

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

tippspur wrote: »

It is indeed and it's delayed coverage of waterford v offaly.

Superb.... The day is mapped out.. Don't know about the night though!!

What's that skype message thing you got there Reg ?never seen that before..and while I'm at it what's the red hearts all about ?? It's not valintines day again is it ;)

What's that skype message thing you got there Reg ?never seen that before.

Go into your CP and edit details. Enter any usernames for IM's and the icon should appear beneath your name here.

No sign of the team email yet, but Eoin Kelly won't be lining out Sunday as far as I know. Still, a blind prediction, Tipperary by 5 points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cummins
    Stapleton
    P Maher
    Curran
    Fanning
    O Mahony
    Cahill
    B Maher
    McGrath
    N McGrath
    Corbett
    G Ryan
    E Kelly
    Hammersley
    P Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Orizio wrote: »
    Cummins
    Stapleton
    P Maher
    Curran
    Fanning
    O Mahony
    Cahill
    B Maher
    McGrath
    N McGrath
    Corbett
    G Ryan
    E Kelly
    Hammersley
    P Kelly
    Cork team for anyone interested:
    1 Martin Coleman (Ballinhassig)
    2 Shane O'Neill (Bishopstown)
    3 Eoin Cadogan ( Douglas)
    4 Brian Murphy (Bride Rovers)
    5 John Gardiner (Na Piarsaigh)
    6 Ronan Curran (St. Finbarr's)
    7 Seán Óg Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)
    8 Tom Kenny (Grenagh)
    9 Lorcán McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    10 Tadhg Óg Murphy (Sarsfields)
    11 Jerry O'Connor (Newtownshandrum)
    12 Cathal Naughton (Newtownshandrum)
    13 Paudie O'Sullivan (Cloyne)
    14 Aisake Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)
    15 Pat Horgan (Glen Rovers)

Taken from another website but reckon it's not an aprils fools day joke.

I reckon the Tipp team named should take Cork with a couple of points to spare. The Tipp full forward line could be lethal!

I'm also happy to see Noel McGrath out on the wing, I reckon he'll be better out there than he has been in the corner thus far.

Tipp should have enough to win today, unless they run out of steam as they seemed to do against Waterford last week. A defeat wouldn't be the end of the world obviously, the prospect of facing Cork 3 times in 4 games is not too appealing either. Beat them today and it sets up a likely league final against them only weeks ahead of the championship game. Of course Galway have a say too but showing Cork too much before May 30 would be a bad idea, they will be waiting for us, in the long grass. Still I'd be happy enough to put them in their place all the same. Throw in 2.30pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

very sluggish first half again from tipp, and fair play to cork, horgan got some goal, but someone needs to ask a few questions of the referee about the second half. to book declan fanning was a disgraceful decision.

some of the free's not given to the tipp backs... haven't seen a performance of officiating as bad in a while (well maybe johnny ryan in the cork v waterford match).

angry!

all eyes on end of may now!

Will23 wrote: »
    very sluggish first half again from tipp, and fair play to cork, horgan got some goal, but someone needs to ask a few questions of the referee about the second half. to book declan fanning was a disgraceful decision.

some of the free's not given to the tipp backs... haven't seen a performance of officiating as bad in a while (well maybe johnny ryan in the cork v waterford match).

angry!

all eyes on end of may now!

Could not understand why fanning got a booking myself. :mad:
    While i congratulate cork i am disappointed, but sure judging by the subs sheedy made i don't think he'll have sleepless nights over who wins the league. that said i take nothing away from cork. This is their arrival season. They want to show the rest of Ireland that they are back with a bang but it is us who will lie in the long grass until may 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

agreed!

i'm not sure we know an awful lot more about ourselves after this league campaign though!

we still can't put together a decent half forward line!

but we have 8 weeks now to get the mind's focused and the fitness and conditioning right!

will be a tough championship, but let's focus on the big game at the end of may now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Thought a draw would have been a fair result.

Tipp played some nice hurling for about 10 minutes when they went 4 points up. Cork were dogged throughout and got the rub of the green from the ref(apparently taking a hurl in the balls is a bookable offence in Cork).

Neither team will come close to winning Liam if they play like that but I think Tipp showed more potential for improvement then Cork, but then I would say that.

That was the worst referee I've witnessed for a long time,Hogan should have got a straight red for his dig at Fanning then he compounded it by booking Fanning and bringing the free 10 yds forward when it should have been a throw in for retaliation,fcukin mad stuff :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Reports of a few lads being cut from the squad the other night – Tom Stapleton, Micheál Webster, John Devane, Willie Ryan, Pa Bourke & Diarmaid Fitzgerald all apparently gone.

I suppose Bourke just isn’t well enough for intercounty hurling at the minute after the bout of glandular fever so he might be seen again in subsequent years; he certainly has the ability if not the requisite level of aggression yet. Tom Stapleton’s departure is a surprise to me anyway, I thought he’d have been good cover at centre back, but has mainly been used as a midfielder where his footwork (or lack thereof) has cost him bigtime. Willie Ryan’s poor performances off the bench last year, plus his non-appearance in this year’s league make his omission less of a surprise.

Devane & Fitzgerald have been fringemen for a while; it’s been a while since either started a championship match and the latter’s injury woes have seriously undermined him, while the former just has too much competition for his optimum place in defence.

Webster’s demotion has been on the cards for a good while now – his aerial ability has declined alarmingly and he just doesn’t have the stickwork to compensate for it. His club form has faded too. Unfortunately for him the bull-in-a-china-shop routine just isn’t enough on its own, that said, his intercounty career has lasted a fair old considering his modest talents.

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Reports of a few lads being cut from the squad the other night – Tom Stapleton, Micheál Webster, John Devane, Willie Ryan, Pa Bourke & Diarmaid Fitzgerald all apparently gone.

Cant help feeling Pa Bourke and Tom Stapleton should have been given more time as they look undoubtable talents and its all the more surprising given that none other then Liam Sheedy was in charge of these lads back in 2006 at minor level. but Sheedy sees these lads in training and i dont so who am i to ask the questions.

Fitzgerald's decline is very sad given that he was a brilliant talent some years back and one of the first names on the team sheet.

I hope John Evans was waiting for Webster outside the gate as i believe we should have a look at his footballing ability. I think he could be useful and is accomplished for his club loughmore-castleiney

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more with you Bostik, re Webster, he's had a fair old whack at the top level and he has never cut it.

I guess after the League campaign some chops were inevitable it's part of the process of buliding a team for the Championship onslaught. In Sheedy we trust.

Cant help feeling Pa Bourke and Tom Stapleton should have been given more time as they look undoubtable talents and its all the more surprising given that none other then Liam Sheedy was in charge of these lads back in 2006 at minor level. but Sheedy sees these lads in training and i dont so who am i to ask the questions.

Fitzgerald's decline is very sad given that he was a brilliant talent some years back and one of the first names on the team sheet.

I hope John Evans was waiting for Webster outside the gate as i believe we should have a look at his footballing ability. I think he could be useful and is accomplished for his club loughmore-castleiney

I think Stapleton is young enough to bounce back... A year back with the club full time might do him no harm whatsoever.

Pa Bourke has had Glandular fever the last few months and is still revcovering. He scored a fair bit for Sars last weekend in the league so hopefully he'll recover his fitness and get back into the panel by the end of the year or next year.

Fitzgerald has been hampered by injury after injury which is very unfortunate.

Webster always gave 110% in the jersey but unfortunately he just lacks the skill required at the top level in my opinion.

I know this is a thread primarily for discussing the county set up, but let's not forget the club scene either (after all, there would be no GAA without the clubs)

Have ye all an interest in the club scene?
    How do ye see the following going lads?
    Here's the fixtures and my predictions

Up North

Group 1
    Round 1

Saturday @ 16:30 in Cloughjordan

Lorrha/Dorrha V Burgess
    Very close game with 2 even teams. I think this could be a year that Lorrha actually make some sort of impact in the North Championship so my prediction is Lorrha/Dorrha

Saturday @ 18:00 in Cloughjordan

Templederry Kenyons V Roscrea
    Wouldn't know a lot about either team, apart from this is Templederry's 2nd year up from intermediate. Roscrea have a Baker in training them this year (I think) and are supposed to be going well so for that reason alone my prediction is: Roscrea

Sunday @ 18:00 in Nenagh

Toomevara V Borris-Ileigh
    Another game which I think will be close. Toom rarely make a good start to a North campaign but with Tommy Dunne involved this year and the fact that they were knocked out earlier than expected from last years county championship, I think they'll be hard to stop. However, Borris cannot be underestimated. Prediction: Toom

Group 2
    Round 1

Sunday @ 16:30 in Nenagh

Kilruane MacDonaghs V Portroe
    Kilruane won the Seamus O Rian last year (after been beaten in the final of the same competition 12 months previously by Swans.) The club had 3 players involved in the recent Fitzgibon cup final which is an impressive stat for any club to boast. Portroe also have a few nice young players but probably over-achieved last year. With Gleeson's long puck's and Dinny Hogan's 'hand' they could be beat this Kilruane side which I think is lacking confidence at this level, especially for a side that won so many minor and u21 'A' titles over the past 5 years. Difficult to call but my prediction is: Kilruane

Sunday @ 13:30 in Toomevara

Moneygall V Nenagh Eire Óg
    Only one winner here. Moneygall beat Ballingary by a cricket score in last week's league match but that will count for nothing against the reigning North Champions: Nenagh

Down South

Saturday @6-30 in Clonmel Sportsfield

Carrick Swans vs Killenaule
    A very close game in store here. The outcome could depend on the fitness of Festy in my opinion. Also, if Donal Shelly (a recent signing from Ballingary) plays, he could have a huge say in the outcome of this game. The loss of Ceasar is also huge but Killenaule have a lot of good hurlers to cope. Rumours going around that Kennedy is no longer between the sticks and is now playing outfireld with O Donnell now minding the net. Swans, who are the most succesful team in this division with 21 South titles have been the under-achievers of the last decade in the South, winning the Seamus O Rian 2 years ago, and been beaten by Mullinahone in a South semi last year, which could have went either way (Mullinahone saved last minute 21 yard free to advance and win South final) and also beaten comprehensively by Toom in last years county championship, although that match was probably lost before a ball was pucked in anger that day. How will they bounce back this year is the real question. Prediction: Swans to beat Killenaule at this level for the 1st time in a decade

Ballybacon v Mullinahone, Sunday 11th April, 6.30pm Monroe
    Ballybacon have only a plan A which is Cummins to lob the ball down to Maher, and if that fails, so do Ballybacon. Curran to have too much for Maher this weekend so only one winner here in my opinion. Mullinahone

Davins Vs Ballingary on next week

In the Whest

Kickhams v Clonoulty in Cashel Sunday @3pm.
    I think Clonoulty will have too much for kickhams who are very unprdictable (so ya never know) Prediction Clonoulty

The Combo of Sean Treacys/Galtee Rovers V Golden (Not sure of venue/time)
    A hard one to call. The combo had 9 Treacy's players playing with them last week which the majority of hurling follwers would agree is a lot. David Morrisey and Byron not starting the last day but one would imagine, that mistake won't be made again. Colin Morrisey been injured is a big loss to them. Cashel beat Golden 8 points to 6 in a shockingly low scoring game last week so Golden have something to prove. However, I don't think the have the class to prove it. Prediction: The combo

Cappa V Eire Og is called off I think due to a breavement in Cappa.

The Mid

I wouldn't be too up o the goings on in the Mid but I'll do my best.

Upperchurch v JK Brackens is in the Ragg at 6 p.m. on Saturday
    The 'Church' over achieved last year in my opinion so it's difficult enough to call this one. With Connolly still over them, I think they'll be up for this and will win by 2 or 3 points Prediction Upperchurch

Loughmore v Holycross is in the Ragg at 2 p.m. on Sunday
    With Webster after been dropped during the week, he'll have something to prve in this. Along with Noel Mcgrath, they should have too much for Holycross. Prediction: Loughmore

Sunday in Holycross

Drom v Moycarkey at 5pm
    Moycarkey won the All Ireland sevens last year but may find it difficult against a good Drom side who will be aiming for Dan Breen this year. Woodlock is a major loss to them but I think they still have enough to win. Prediction: Drom

Sars v Boherlahan at 6.30pm
    County Chmpions to prevail here.Sars

There's my predictions, what do ye think?

Results in so far (not too good in the predictions me :o)

Swans and Killenaule drew 11 points each. Good tough game, although very low scoring, Festy hurled scoring 1 or 2 points from play. Killenaule had a mansent off in injury time for a pull off the ball (his second of the match)

Shock up North, Burgess beat Lorrha by 10 points. Burgess started very well apparently and Lorrha never caught up. Finished 3-13 to 1-09

In the Mid, Upperchurch beat the ****e out of Brackens, which is a bit of a shock too, although I expected them to win.

Not sure of any other scores as of yet.

I have no news on the latest score but apparently Paul Kelly has done himself a bad injury in Monroe tonight.. Hope it sounds worse than it actually is.

I have no news on the latest score but apparently Paul Kelly has done himself a bad injury in Monroe tonight.. Hope it sounds worse than it actually is.

Paul Kelly you say? Is he not still playing for O'Loughlin Gaels in Kilkenny? do you mean Eoin? I bloody well hope not! Paul a loss as well but not as much as Eoin i feel.

looder wrote: »
    Festy hurled scoring 1 or 2 points from play.

God they'd be some scores if he was in Australia as rumoured :D:D

Paul Kelly you say? Is he not still playing for O'Loughlin Gaels in Kilkenny? do you mean Eoin? I bloody well hope not! Paul a loss as well but not as much as Eoin i feel.
    Paul Kelly is back with Mullinahone this year.

Paul Kelly is back with Mullinahone this year.

I could have swore the PA at matches (and by that i mean even in thurles) keeps naming his club as O'Loughlins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Paul Kelly broke his ankle yesterday. Bad news, especially after the good game he had against Cork

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/blow-for-tipp-as-paul-kelly-suffers-broken-ankle/

Advertisement