Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

looder wrote: »
    During the warm up management seemed to be telling the players to calm it down. I don't know was this because of the delay to the start of the match or what but it looked to me as if Tipp had done a severe warm up at a different location.

The Tipp team bus passed us at the toll station in Fermoy at 11 o Clock. This was very early for the Tipp team to be in Cork in my opinion so they obviously went someplace. I hope/don't think they are any problems in the camp.

The crowd was dead yesterday. It just didn't feel like Munster Championship. Even during the parade, the cheer that went up was very poor from the Tipp support.
    i would have to agree wityh you looder, about there not being any atmosphere. usually u would never hear the end of the national anthem with all the cheering , but i could hear it as palin as day yesterday.. seemed very dead down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

tom thum wrote: »
    i would have to agree wityh you looder, about there not being any atmosphere. usually u would never hear the end of the national anthem with all the cheering , but i could hear it as palin as day yesterday.. seemed very dead down there.
    It really was dead down there. Even outside the stadium that usual end of May buzz just wasn't there. It was as if supporters sensed what was to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

An awful poor performance yesterday, defenders couldn't provide any good ball for the forwards and the forwards were just not at the races at all. Was really disappointed with all the forwards (especially Noel McGrath), they didn't play as any sort of unit and in no way resembled the force they were last year.
    A lot of work needed before the qualifiers, so much was wrong its hard to know where they'll begin but we'll keep faith with Liam Sheedy and the lads, they've proven before that they've plenty of pride in the shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

I waited until today to post here about the match. I said beforehand, I wasn't too confident and it looks like the reason's I gave then were very genuine.

I was at the game yesterday, and would like to say I was ashamed to be a Tipp man for the minutes silence. Would these scumbags just stay at ****ing home and stop giving the County a bad name!

On the game itself, we were beaten on the line and on the field.
      [*]Where was our gameplan?
      The high ball into Buggy didn't work. Where was plan B? Our half forward line didn't win a puckout for the majority of the second half. When Cummins went short, our Midfield couldn't win one either. Sheedy should have made some sort of changes to counteeract the fact we couldn't catch clean ball. Hennessy didn't win any ball when he came on. In fact, our bench looked very poor yesterday. We missed Festy bigtime.
      When Buggy went out half forward, we still hit high balls into Kelly. Again Sheedy should have sorted this out and changed the gameplan.
      [*]Corner forwards!
      Lar had a bright start to the match and could/should have got the first goal but played too far out the field for most of the half. Buggy broke a world of ball in the first 20 minutes but there was nobody coming in to get the break. Kelly was atrocious and although he has been a massive servant to Tipperary, he should not be excluded from criticism yesterday. He's suppose to be the captain and a leader on the team. He done nothing from play!
      [*]Corner backs
      When Curran went full, he didn't allow Aisake to catch any clean ball. Where were the corner backs to pick up the breaks? Nowhere to be seen!.
      [*]Where was the Hunger?
      Tipp lacked fight yesterday and rolled over too easy. Cork hunted in packs, Tipp didn't and that was the main difference yesterday.
      [*]Donal Og's puckouts
      Tipp tried to crowd out the their half back line for Cork's puckouts by bringing the half forwards back 20 yards and the corner forwards splitting the corner backs and half backs. Donal Og played a number of short puckouts and we did nothing to try and counteract. Again, the blame here has to go to Sheedy. He obviously told the forwards what to do on the puckouts and did nothing to change during the match

However, all is not lost!!!

This could be the kick up the hole we need.

The backdoor is an easy enough route for us if we avoid Wexford in the first round.

We can still win an All Ireland this year as long as the players stop believeing their own hype and knuckle down and get their act together. One bad game doesn't make us a poor team but we really do have to find hunger from somewhere.

i have to agree with everything looder says above!

to also add... it looked as it brendan hit one short puck out in the first half.. made a bags of it (jerry o connor got a score off it i think) and then took the decision on himself to rain balls in on the cork half backs for the rest of the second half.

was listening to newstalk thursday night and jamsie said that there was no way tipp would hit high balls into the cork half back line. they did it all day long! our worst line, no ball winning half forwards, their best line and we play into their hands.

did we hit one low ball into the forward line all day?

anyone think fanning would be the only back with the physicality to take care of aiseke yesterday? he does have an all star in the position.

Finally it think people should refrain from using O'Meara as a scapegoat. i though he did well.. cadogan won the first battle when he put out the hand and gave the shoulder instead, before the ball was thrown in (childish and dirty i might add) but from there on in he chopped down on every ball that went in. O'Meara was put in to do a job, catch ball or break it... with all the small nifty forwards we have, where were they to pick the broken ball.

it wouldve been worse if we played in any shape or form and lost... cork won by 4 scores and we will be back. we have to learn form this.. that's the challenge.

Will23 wrote: »
      i have to agree with everything looder says above!

to also add... it looked as it brendan hit one short puck out in the first half.. made a bags of it (jerry o connor got a score off it i think) and then took the decision on himself to rain balls in on the cork half backs for the rest of the second half.

was listening to newstalk thursday night and jamsie said that there was no way tipp would hit high balls into the cork half back line. they did it all day long! our worst line, no ball winning half forwards, their best line and we play into their hands.

did we hit one low ball into the forward line all day?

anyone think fanning would be the only back with the physicality to take care of aiseke yesterday? he does have an all star in the position.

Finally it think people should refrain from using O'Meara as a scapegoat. i though he did well.. cadogan won the first battle when he put out the hand and gave the shoulder instead, before the ball was thrown in (childish and dirty i might add) but from there on in he chopped down on every ball that went in. O'Meara was put in to do a job, catch ball or break it... with all the small nifty forwards we have, where were they to pick the broken ball.

it wouldve been worse if we played in any shape or form and lost... cork won by 4 scores and we will be back. we have to learn form this.. that's the challenge.

I'd also say Buggy shouldn't be made a scapegoat, he broke ball and Cadogan won very little clean ball when he was in there. That's where the rest of the forwards should have came into it.

Tipp, as bad an all as they were had a number of goal chances which they missed, Timmy's at the end, Eoin after Cork's third and Lar's in the first 5 minutes (which I think would have changed the way the game went totally).

• Advertisement

Club Games next weekend.

This is a chance for the County lads to put last Sunday behind them.

A big weekend down South with all teams in Action

FRIDAY JUNE 4TH
      GLANBIA SENIOR HURLING RD 3
      Ballingarry V Ballybacongrange IN FETHARD @ 7.30PM
      Prediction: Ballingary by 4 points

SATURDAY JUNE 5TH
      Killenaule V Mullinahone IN CLONEEN @ 7.00PM
      Prediction: Mullinahone by 3 points

SUNDAY JUNE 6TH
      Carrick Swans v Carrick Davins IN DAVIN PARK @ 1.00PM
      Prediction: as long as the winning team is wearing Black and White I don't care!!

West Tipp

Wednesday June 2nd
      Tipperary Co-Op Super Valu West SHC
      In Dundrum @ 7.30, Cappawhite v Éire Óg.Ref; Johnny Ryan Boherlahan
      Prediction Cappa by 5 points

Up North:
      Saturday 5 June
      - Dpouble header

Toomevara 18:00 Lorrha-Dorrha V Templederry Kenyons

Prediction: Templederry by 2 points

Group 2
      Toomevara 19:30 Portroe V Nenagh Éire Óg

Prediction Nenagh by 6 points

Sunday 6 June - Double Header
      MacDonagh Park Nenagh 14:00 Kilruane Mac Donaghs V Kildangan
      Prediction: Kilruane by 2 points

MacDonagh Park 15:30 Burgess V Borris-Ileigh
      Prediction Borris by 4 points

Moneygall 18:00 Roscrea V Toomevara
      Prediction Toome by 7 points

MID TIPP

SUNDAY
      Holycross 19:00 Thurles Sarsfields V Drom-Inch
      Prediction: Sars

MONDAY
      Templetuohy 19:15 JK Brackens V Loughmore-Castleiney
      Prediction: Loughmore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

What a disappointment last Sundays game was, It's hard to figure out how so many players done so bad on the one day, they were just useless on the day and I'd go as far as to say it was a shameful performance from a great hurling County like Tipperary.The only thing that gives me hope is that we got another hammering last year in the League from KK and we came back from that an even better team, the difference is this was a big Championship game against Cork and we had high expectations and should have done a lot better.roll on the qualifiers and hopefully better days out than last Sundays disaster..:confused:

Result from the South:

Ballybacon/Grange 1-13
      Ballingarry 0-12

Cummins scored 1-5. Terrible game of hurling by all accounts. It's good news for the rest of the teams hoping to make a Semi final place with Ballingary now in big big trouble having to play both Killenaule and Mullinahone and needing at least on win, if not two to advance.

Ballybacon only have Carrick Davins to play and need to win to have any hope of advancing. This might not even be enough.

Updated table as of 11-20 pm tonight (Friday) here: http://southshc.leaguerepublic.com/
      *Table is correct as it goes on head to head and not score difference.

I won't have any more results until after the weekend for ye as I probably won't be online.

come on the SWAN . for tomorrow. local derby. should be loads of ash broken. :)

Result from the South:

Ballybacon/Grange 1-13
      Ballingarry 0-12

Cummins scored 1-5. Terrible game of hurling by all accounts. It's good news for the rest of the teams hoping to make a Semi final place with Ballingary now in big big trouble having to play both Killenaule and Mullinahone and needing at least on win, if not two to advance.

Ballybacon only have Carrick Davins to play and need to win to have any hope of advancing. This might not even be enough.

Updated table as of 11-20 pm tonight (Friday) here: http://southshc.leaguerepublic.com/
      *Table is correct as it goes on head to head and not score difference.

I won't have any more results until after the weekend for ye as I probably won't be online.

Ballingarry gone really really poor. Its ages since they won a south. At this rate they'll be lucky to stay senior. Did Mullinahone win last night?

• Advertisement

Yea, Mullinahone won 4-13 Killenaule 3-10 - Kil with 2 late goals.

Swans 2-16 to Davins 1-17 'HON THE SWAN!!!

I'll update the table 2moro or Tuesday. There's a pint glass waiting for me :D

yeah. great result looder. i was at it.

Good game of hurling down in Davin Park today,good skills level from both teams and some lovely scores were taken,great effort from both teams and a huge crowd there to watch it,I would love to see them meeting again later on in the championship.

Mate of mine was giving me updates, it sounded like a cracker. Big regrets at not going.
      Much needed for the club scene in Tipp.
      Hope both these clubs can produce some good long serving hurlers for the county team in the future. the talent in carrick is unquestionable but from what you'd hear, it seems that one or two maybe not prepared for the sacrifices and commitment of inter-county hurling which fair enough is very demanding. Again that's not an attack on Carrick was a whole or any particular individuals but more frustration that some of these lads cant see the enormous potential they have.
      Well done to both the teams involved. the Davin's can be proud of their first year in senior hurling for a long time. The Swan have been promising for years and i hope they fulfill that.
      Great to see Mullinahone make strides. The new generation seems to be coming through now and please god we can produce more county hurlers at the club.

Tipp to play Wexford

Will not be easy. Wexford will deploy Banville the same way Cork used Aisake so its a big test for whoever starts at No3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TippCork

I waited until today to post here about the match. I said beforehand, I wasn't too confident and it looks like the reason's I gave then were very genuine.

I was at the game yesterday, and would like to say I was ashamed to be a Tipp man for the minutes silence. Would these scumbags just stay at ****ing home and stop giving the County a bad name!

On the game itself, we were beaten on the line and on the field.

• Where was our gameplan?
        The high ball into Buggy didn't work. Where was plan B? Our half forward line didn't win a puckout for the majority of the second half. When Cummins went short, our Midfield couldn't win one either. Sheedy should have made some sort of changes to counteeract the fact we couldn't catch clean ball. Hennessy didn't win any ball when he came on. In fact, our bench looked very poor yesterday. We missed Festy bigtime.
        When Buggy went out half forward, we still hit high balls into Kelly. Again Sheedy should have sorted this out and changed the gameplan.

• Corner forwards!
        Lar had a bright start to the match and could/should have got the first goal but played too far out the field for most of the half. Buggy broke a world of ball in the first 20 minutes but there was nobody coming in to get the break. Kelly was atrocious and although he has been a massive servant to Tipperary, he should not be excluded from criticism yesterday. He's suppose to be the captain and a leader on the team. He done nothing from play!

• Corner backs
        When Curran went full, he didn't allow Aisake to catch any clean ball. Where were the corner backs to pick up the breaks? Nowhere to be seen!.

• Where was the Hunger?
        Tipp lacked fight yesterday and rolled over too easy. Cork hunted in packs, Tipp didn't and that was the main difference yesterday.

• Donal Og's puckouts
        Tipp tried to crowd out the their half back line for Cork's puckouts by bringing the half forwards back 20 yards and the corner forwards splitting the corner backs and half backs. Donal Og played a number of short puckouts and we did nothing to try and counteract. Again, the blame here has to go to Sheedy. He obviously told the forwards what to do on the puckouts and did nothing to change during the match

However, all is not lost!!!

This could be the kick up the hole we need.

The backdoor is an easy enough route for us if we avoid Wexford in the first round.

We can still win an All Ireland this year as long as the players stop believeing their own hype and knuckle down and get their act together. One bad game doesn't make us a poor team but we really do have to find hunger from somewhere.

Totally agree with you looder on the minute silence. I happened to be nearby, the problem was drugs, 5 or 6 lads and girls spaced out of their heads. They even tried to light a flare but drop it on the wet ground and could not light it. Gardai arrived on the scene and kept an eye on them for the rest of the match.

As for the match, what a disaster, Tipp will I hope never be as bad again, especially against Cork. Never clicked, first touch was poor, and reaction time slow. Very disappointing. Can only get better. Staying that I will still give them my 100% support.

TippCork wrote: »
      Totally agree with you looder on the minute silence. I happened to be nearby, the problem was drugs, 5 or 6 lads and girls spaced out of their heads.

I'm not ashamed of my county over a small minority of 'space cadets'. It is worrying that society is breaking down to the extent we cant go to a hurling match without these losers making themselves known.

Time to move on from the cork game i think. its Wexford up next (rumoured in thurles) and i hope we can bury the ghosts then

EDIT: Maybe we should send Tanya Tate into the Wexford team hotel the night before the game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I agree..You cant tarnish any county because of a few gob****es.....As the Tayto advert says " There's always one "....or more than one in most cases...The Wexford game wont be a given,but I think the Tipp lads will want to answer the critics,and I hope Wexford will be on the receiving end of the answer.. Laughing @ Tanya Tate comment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

anyone hear the time for the game yet lads? will there be a big crowd to show the team we're still behind em?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Aisake caught at least one ball off of Curran - the corner backs were further up the pitch, blame Sheedy for not being tactically aware.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
      Aisake caught at least one ball off of Curran - the corner backs were further up the pitch, blame Sheedy for not being tactically aware.

blame the mammy's in tipp for not giving their sons freakishly big portions of spuds like they do in cork :D

Will23 wrote: »
      anyone hear the time for the game yet lads? will there be a big crowd to show the team we're still behind em?!

I hope as you say there will be a big crowd. no time set yet. 3/7 though cant wait.

Orizio wrote: »

Is there any truth in the rumour that there was Volcanic ash on the finger tips of Aisake after all those high balls he grabbed from the sky?....Anyone else uneasy having a moderator who has Cork as the location?;) A big pinch of salt with the last sentence:)

DT100 wrote: »
      Is there any truth in the rumour that there was Volcanic ash on the finger tips of Aisake after all those high balls he grabbed from the sky?

he should have had his own blood on his fingers ;)

Mullinahone beat Ballingary by 2 points last night in the South for anyone interested.

Up North, Nenagh were beaten so are now in the Seamus O Riain cup.

I'll put up scores when I recieve them.

FT down South:
      Killenaule: 2-20
      Davins: 1-09

Here's the Table: http://southshc.leaguerepublic.com/ - updated as of 7-15pm Sunday June 13th

This weekends results mean that Killenaule, Mullinahone and Carrick Swans are now through before the last weekends games.

The next round of fixtures (All next weekend I presume):
      Ballingary v Killenaule
      Ballybacon/Grange v Carrick Davins
      Carrick Swans v Mullinahone

Swans v Mullinahone is a dead rubber. Result doesn't matter as Semi's are an open draw.

Notes:
      *If Ballingary win, they are through if Ballybacon and Davins finish level, otherwise they are out as they lost to both Davins and Ballybacon

*If Davins win, they are through.

*If Ballybacon win, they are through.

If Davins and Ballybacon draw, and Ballingary lose, then Ballybacon go through as they have conceded one point less than Davins. (Score of -20 with Davins at -21) **However, these are by the results that have been posted here and may not be 100% correct.

If Davins and Ballybacon draw and Ballingary and Killenaule draw, Ballingary advance due to superior score difference (Ballingary's score difference will only be taking into account if they finish level with 2 other teams)

:D
      he should have had his own blood on his fingers ;)

FT down South:
      Killenaule: 2-20
      Davins: 1-09

Here's the Table: http://southshc.leaguerepublic.com/ - updated as of 7-15pm Sunday June 13th

This weekends results mean that Killenaule, Mullinahone and Carrick Swans are now through before the last weekends games.

The next round of fixtures (All next weekend I presume):
      Ballingary v Killenaule
      Ballybacon/Grange v Carrick Davins
      Carrick Swans v Mullinahone

Swans v Mullinahone is a dead rubber. Result doesn't matter as Semi's are an open draw.

Notes:
      *If Ballingary win, they are through if Ballybacon and Davins finish level, otherwise they are out as they lost to both Davins and Ballybacon

*If Davins win, they are through.

*If Ballybacon win, they are through.

If Davins and Ballybacon draw, and Ballingary lose, then Ballybacon go through as they have conceded one point less than Davins. (Score of -20 with Davins at -21) **However, these are by the results that have been posted here and may not be 100% correct.

If Davins and Ballybacon draw and Ballingary and Killenaule draw, Ballingary advance due to superior score difference (Ballingary's score difference will only be taking into account if they finish level with 2 other teams)

Such in depth local sports coverage here on boards.ie. Be honest looder i think your after the great man paddy (finucane's) job when he hangs the mic up :D. Id hire you with that presentaion.

I see the GAA missed a trick again. They put the football as stand alone fixture
      instead of having a Tipp v Wexford and a Tipp v Laois or Meath, double header at the stadium and draw a crowd.

Such in depth local sports coverage here on boards.ie. Be honest looder i think your after the great man paddy (finucane's) job when he hangs the mic up :D. Id hire you with that presentaion.

I see the GAA missed a trick again. They put the football as stand alone fixture
      instead of having a Tipp v Wexford and a Tipp v Laois or Meath, double header at the stadium and draw a crowd.

Same town, different sides of the bridge of the great man himself :p

I'm more of a club hurling fan than a Inter-county hurling fan to be honest so I'd put a bit more effort into South Tipp GAA posts.

I'd also like to thank the South board for putting the Swans down to play Football Fri and Hurling Sunday. The sooner someone goves them a bit of cop on the better. This is twice this year it has happened.

Yea, they definitely did alright. I heard earlier that the hurling is on at 3-30pm on a Saturday - 3rd July. That unfortunately means I won't be able to make it to Semple Stadium for the game as I'm working. I might make the 2nd half depending on traffic if I decide to go home via Thurles (about an extra hour onto my journey).

• Advertisement

A GAA board with cop on? you'r asking for two much.
      3.30 throw in for the Tipp V Wex game is a bit strange for a Saturday.I'd say there's plenty more like yourself that will get cought with work.

Advertisement