Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

tom thum wrote: »
    anyone know how tipp got on against wexford the other night . they were playing a challenge in the mollerans field, carrick.
    That game was switched to Piltown,myself and a friend went down to see it,the final score was Tipp 2-24 Wex 2-14.It was a second string Tipp team with some new lads on like James Barry (sars i think) and Paddy Murphy (nenagh) both of these done well,David Young who is in the team for Sunday had a good game at wing back,it was a fairly good game with both teams giving it there all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

tippspur wrote: »
    That game was switched to Piltown,myself and a friend went down to see it,the final score was Tipp 2-24 Wex 2-14.It was a second string Tipp team with some new lads on like James Barry (sars i think) and Paddy Murphy (nenagh) both of these done well,David Young who is in the team for Sunday had a good game at wing back,it was a fairly good game with both teams giving it there all.
    thanks tippspur. why was it changed to piltown?

Went to the two fixtures this weekend. the footballers were unlucky but still maybe lack the experience in comparison to the other div 2 counties. i hope we can stay in the division. it would be more valuable then promotion.
    The hurling today was a non contest. Any spark, if any existed, to the tie was gone when wadding sent off a man in the 10th minute. very poor decision. I don't take any pleasure in what is happening in limerick at the moment. it is an extremely sad situation. i wanted Justin to succeed but it looks as if things cant go on the way they are going. I don't think tipp will benefit an awful lot from that game. Timmy Hammersley might be happy having scored 1-3 as might john O'Brien or Micheal Webster. it will give them a tremendous boost of confidence but needless to say stiffer times for the lads ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

It's true, today was just one of those games that had to be played, and be done with. It's very unfortunate whats happening in Limerick, 2010 is wrote off already. As for Tipp its job done and move on to Waterford next Sunday. They looked impressive in parts today, a masterclass in accuracy from Eoin Kelly, but as we all know our own Eoin Kelly is no slouch in that department either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

thanks tippspur. why was it changed to piltown?
    I was there too. It was changed because the Mollerans was waterlogged after the rain during the day.

Match was okay. James Barry (Upperchurch as far as I know) had an excellent game wing back.

Team was:
    Gleeeson
    O Brien, H Maloney, Dimi Fitz
    D Young, T Stapelton, James Barry
    G Ryan, Hennessy
    Heffernan, D Egan, Devane
    Hammersley, JOB, P Kelly

Subs who came on (I was paying very little attention at this stage):

Bubbles O' Dwyer from Killenaule and Webster (who scored 2 goals)

Woodlock was there with the team which is promising (He wasn't doing any of the jogging with the subs although he was togged out.

Wexford were poor enough. They had a gale in the 1st half.

Egan did well I thought. He caught some good ball.

Paul Kelly was quite enough (although wind was very strong in first half and I was paying more attention to him then I should since I heard he was after signing back to Mullinahone last weekend and Swans will be playing them in next month or so)

Johno Brien was poor enough although the Wexford full back was very good. A tough bit of stuff.

I thought Gleeson was shaky at times in the goal although his distribution was top notch. I'd like to see Matthew Ryan been called into Dr Morris for a few training sessions as I think he's going to be the man that eventually replaces Cummins. I'm glad Kennedy was dropped this year as I think he adds nothing to the panel. Gleeson is twice the keeper Kennedy is.

Bubbles Dywer from Killenaule made a lot of great runs when introduced but didn't get much ball. He set up the score of the match, where he weaved through 2 or 3 players, gave a snappy 15 yard pass to Tom Stapleton who put it over the black spot. This happened in last 10 minutes when game was well over as a contest.

• Advertisement

It's true, today was just one of those games that had to be played, and be done with. It's very unfortunate whats happening in Limerick, 2010 is wrote off already. As for Tipp its job done and move on to Waterford next Sunday. They looked impressive in parts today, a masterclass in accuracy from Eoin Kelly, but as we all know our own Eoin Kelly is no slouch in that department either!

Absolutely. I hope the game would be still in the mix but then the man got sent off and before i knew it tipp just pulled away. Tipp were only going through the motions aswell.

Its the business end of the league now and Waterford will provide a stiff test nest week as they will have aspirations of their own. While the test will be stiff i hope we can get the 2 points. We have more men to score so i think we can do it. The rest of Waterford team only got 1-4 today which must be worrying for them.

while i stated that i hate to see limerick go thru this i think this youtube video is so funny for those of you that haven't seen it yet

while i stated that i hate to see limerick go thru this i think this youtube video is so funny for those of you that haven't seen it yet

I'd know a lad hurling with Carlow. Another win for them today over Wexford. I'm delighted for them. Hurling needs teams like Carlow and Dublin to make a proper breakthrough in the next decade.

The Tipperary Senior Hurling team to play Waterford in Sunday’s Allianz GAA Hurling National game at Semple Stadium at 2.30pm shows 7 changes from the team which started against Limerick last Sunday. Brendan Cummins, Declan Fanning, Conor O’Mahony, Shane Maher, Lar Corbett, Noel McGrath and John O’Brien all come into the side. Timmy Hammerlsey retains his corner forward position after an impressive 1-4 against Limerick in his first full game at this level.

Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)

Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh) Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields) Paul Curran (Mullinahone)

Declan Fanning (Killenaule) Conor O’Mahony (Newport) Shane Maher (Burgess)
    [FONT=Arial [/FONT]
    Brendan Maher (Borris–Ileigh) Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)

Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons) [/FONT]Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields) Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone) Capt John O’Brien (Toomevara) Timmy Hammersley (Clonoulty Rossmore)

looder wrote: »
    I was there too. It was changed because the Mollerans was waterlogged after the rain during the day.

Match was okay. James Barry (Upperchurch as far as I know) had an excellent game wing back.

Team was:
    Gleeeson
    O Brien, H Maloney, Dimi Fitz
    D Young, T Stapelton, James Barry
    G Ryan, Hennessy
    Heffernan, D Egan, Devane
    Hammersley, JOB, P Kelly

Subs who came on (I was paying very little attention at this stage):

Bubbles O' Dwyer from Killenaule and Webster (who scored 2 goals)

Woodlock was there with the team which is promising (He wasn't doing any of the jogging with the subs although he was togged out.

Wexford were poor enough. They had a gale in the 1st half.

Egan did well I thought. He caught some good ball.

Paul Kelly was quite enough (although wind was very strong in first half and I was paying more attention to him then I should since I heard he was after signing back to Mullinahone last weekend and Swans will be playing them in next month or so)

Johno Brien was poor enough although the Wexford full back was very good. A tough bit of stuff.

I thought Gleeson was shaky at times in the goal although his distribution was top notch. I'd like to see Matthew Ryan been called into Dr Morris for a few training sessions as I think he's going to be the man that eventually replaces Cummins. I'm glad Kennedy was dropped this year as I think he adds nothing to the panel. Gleeson is twice the keeper Kennedy is.

Bubbles Dywer from Killenaule made a lot of great runs when introduced but didn't get much ball. He set up the score of the match, where he weaved through 2 or 3 players, gave a snappy 15 yard pass to Tom Stapleton who put it over the black spot. This happened in last 10 minutes when game was well over as a contest.
    good man looder. always one to supply good info.

• Advertisement

[/FONT]
    Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)

Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh) Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields) Paul Curran (Mullinahone)

Declan Fanning (Killenaule) Conor O’Mahony (Newport) Shane Maher (Burgess)
    [FONT=Arial [/FONT]
    Brendan Maher (Borris–Ileigh) Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)

Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons) [/FONT]Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields) Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone) Capt John O’Brien (Toomevara) Timmy Hammersley (Clonoulty Rossmore)

strong enough side. Lar corbett on the 40?? interesting :) hope we can win now and get to that league final may 3rd. a great birthday present if we left with the silverware that day. An premier abu!

Strong enough Tipp team looking forward to seeing this game it should be a cracker,Waterford will give us a good stiff test which we need after the easy game last week..up the prem.

strong enough side. Lar corbett on the 40?? interesting :) hope we can win now and get to that league final may 3rd. a great birthday present if we left with the silverware that day. An premier abu!
    It's interesting okay, but he's played on the 40 with Sars at times during games so it's not a totally new position for him.

I think the reasoning behind the move might be his ariel ability. Lar is some man to grab a ball out of the sky, turn and burn whoever he's marking.

I'd like to see Eoin on the 40 to see how he goes. I think he could be a revelation out there. He could set up a world of scores if given good supply.

Waterford will be good, They've Tony Browne back on the panel this week also, so he might give them a boost. Hopefully Tipp will win with 3 or 4 to spare, and The Real (and original) Eoin Kelly shows up that other primadonna for what he really is.

It's also nice to see Timmy get an extended run in the team. The effort the chap has put in the last few months has been unreal. Hopefully he can add something to the team come June.

It's interesting okay, but he's played on the 40 with Sars at times during games so it's not a totally new position for him.

I think the reasoning behind the move might be his ariel ability. Lar is some man to grab a ball out of the sky, turn and burn whoever he's marking.

I'd like to see Eoin on the 40 to see how he goes. I think he could be a revelation out there. He could set up a world of scores if given good supply.

It's also nice to see Timmy get an extended run in the team. The effort the chap has put in the last few months has been unreal. Hopefully he can add something to the team come June.

Lar Corbett was simply amazing today. Unbelievable! Brendan Maher had an awesome game and this Hammersley could be the find of the year yet. JOB made a few nice catches but overall i feel needs to bring that bit extra to the team. 'Webby' came on and was his usual self. To be honest i think he should give serious consideration to joining the footballers. I dont think he is an inter-county hurler to be honest. Very lackluster.

I feel with Eoin Kelly (our deluxe protocol ;)) today, we would have won but we'd have a job getting frees off that ref. He was awful!

EDIT: Festy Kerwick said to be gone to Oz, shame!
    Hope he is back for the beginning of the championship. Great man to catch a ball.

Lar Corbett was simply amazing today. Unbelievable! Brendan Maher had an awesome game and this Hammersley could be the find of the year yet. JOB made a few nice catches but overall i feel needs to bring that bit extra to the team. 'Webby' came on and was his usual self. To be honest i think he should give serious consideration to joining the footballers. I dont think he is an inter-county hurler to be honest. Very lackluster.

I feel with Eoin Kelly (our deluxe protocol ;)) today, we would have won but we'd have a job getting frees off that ref. He was awful!

EDIT: Festy Kerwick said to be gone to Oz, shame!
    Hope he is back for the beginning of the championship. Great man to catch a ball.

I would have been very sceptical about Timmy making it as an inter county hurler as I didn't think he had the hurling but he's improved ten fold over the past 18 months and fair play to him. By all accounts, he a sound chap. Savage free taker too (well for the club he is anyway)

I'd agree with you in relation to Webster. I don't really see what he adds to the panel, and there's plenty of men around the county that could do a similar job in my opinion. I'd also agree with your sentiments towards Johnno Brien, although apart from last years All Ireland Final, I thought he was one of our better players.

I couldn't make the match myself due to club commitments but from what I heard on the radio, Lar was brilliant.

In relation to Festy, I think he's injured, not emigrated. I think you might be mixing him up with clubmate, and former Tipp senior panelist, Joe Ceaser who went earlier on in the year and will miss the club championship.
    The one thing I like about Festy is his ability to turn as he catches the ball. It gives him that extra yard away from his man.

I would have been very sceptical about Timmy making it as an inter county hurler as I didn't think he had the hurling but he's improved ten fold over the past 18 months and fair play to him. By all accounts, he a sound chap. Savage free taker too (well for the club he is anyway)

I'd agree with you in relation to Webster. I don't really see what he adds to the panel, and there's plenty of men around the county that could do a similar job in my opinion. I'd also agree with your sentiments towards Johnno Brien, although apart from last years All Ireland Final, I thought he was one of our better players.

I couldn't make the match myself due to club commitments but from what I heard on the radio, Lar was brilliant.

In relation to Festy, I think he's injured, not emigrated. I think you might be mixing him up with clubmate, and former Tipp senior panelist, Joe Ceaser who went earlier on in the year and will miss the club championship.
    The one thing I like about Festy is his ability to turn as he catches the ball. It gives him that extra yard away from his man.

Lar gave an exhibition in the arts of the game today. Sensational! A lad who went to school with both Festy, and Joe was telling me today that Festy had gone to Oz and a few weeks prior he was telling me about Joe so i dunno really. Maybe he is using the recovery time to take a well earned break. Johnno saved our arses against Clare last year but had a poor all ireland final.

Hammersley terrific today. Still not the full article but getting there.

Its not the end of the world if we miss the league final but it would be nice to get there and win it.

Our footballers unlucky today. Nearly pulled off an amazing comeback in Crossmaglen. Pity they are relegated but in all honesty given their level of inexperience it is probably the level they are at. Still, i think they will learn from the experience and next time they are back in div 2 and make no mistake we will be back, we will be better prepared.

Missed the game again today due to work ties.... Good to hear Lar keeping up the form from last year, he's on the way to being the complete article.. Today was always going to be tight but i though we'd tip it by a few. The task of going to Cork next Sunday and winning is tough but by no means impossible.. Eoin bck in the team and we should manage it. I trust the injury that kept him out today isn't too serious.

Missed the game again today due to work ties.... Good to hear Lar keeping up the form from last year, he's on the way to being the complete article.. Today was always going to be tight but i though we'd tip it by a few. The task of going to Cork next Sunday and winning is tough but by no means impossible.. Eoin bck in the team and we should manage it. I trust the injury that kept him out today isn't too serious.

Paul Kelly is capable of being a ball of class but there is something lacking. Lar is quite simply the best in Ireland at the moment. A majestic performance. His stick work, his catching and energy was simply second to none. Brendan Maher is another man i would single out for a brilliant faultless display. Bring on the rebels! An Premier Abu!

Aye Brendan Maher is often overlooked but he is a fine hurler. I watched him U21 last year and he won every ball that came at him at half back above in Thurles v Cork. Strength a plenty.

Aye Brendan Maher is often overlooked but he is a fine hurler. I watched him U21 last year and he won every ball that came at him at half back above in Thurles v Cork. Strength a plenty.

Cant get over the way he has almost made the midfield slot his own. He suits Shane McGrath the finest. Very skillful player and very quick upstairs.

McGrath went off at half time today. Hope hes not badly injured. We lost our way when he went off. What a find he was and similar to Timmy Hammersley, he didn't really make an impact at underage level. He is quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Cork will be the real litmus test for us. They've been consistent all season whereas the teams we've beaten so far have been hot and cold.

It'll be good to have a strong Munster championship this season, it was a bit of a done deal last year and no real preperation for a final against the Cats.

Is it just me or are Waterford impossible to like. I didn't think it was possible to dislike them more but then Fitzgerald came along.

Is it just me or are Waterford impossible to like. I didn't think it was possible to dislike them more but then Fitzgerald came along.

Imagine if they actually won an All Ireland? They would be absolutely unbearable to listen to down there. You'd swear they were doing 5 and 6 in a row at times. The hyperbole syndrome amongst their players and fans alike is cringe worthy. Part of me was nearly glad to see Kilkenny hand them their arses on a plate two year ago. A very small part mind you ;) Cant understand how Davy has any success as a coach tbh. A wound up git.

Those four points that Lar got yesterday were top drawer and a joy to watch,Paul Kelly surprised me with the way he played in the first half he cought some great balls.Delighted to see Brendan Maher doing so well in the center I really hope he can keep it going because it could solve a ploblem for us in that area,I'ts a pity we didn't win the game but I think the ref made sure the blaas got a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Imagine if they actually won an All Ireland? They would be absolutely unbearable to listen to down there. You'd swear they were doing 5 and 6 in a row at times. The hyperbole syndrome amongst their players and fans alike is cringe worthy. Part of me was nearly glad to see Kilkenny hand them their arses on a plate two year ago. A very small part mind you ;) Cant understand how Davy has any success as a coach tbh. A wound up git.

Nail on head.

The way Mullane and Kelly celebrate after every point, usually when they're about 12 down to Killkenny, really brings the bile to the throat. The Ballybeg "wans" seem to worship them, which wouldn't so galling if they didn't look like Slot(from the Goonies) and Gollum (bugeyes Kelly) respectively.

Fitzgerald has shown to be nothing more then a rabble rouser which can only get you so far.

In short, I just dont like Waterford. :mad:

hey lads. thats enough about waterford now. i wouldnt like it written too many times in a tipperaty hurling thread nuff said ??? everyonbe agree with that??? i cant stand them or that little mickey man either. .

hey lads. thats enough about waterford now. i wouldnt like it written too many times in a tipperaty hurling thread nuff said ??? everyonbe agree with that??? i cant stand them or that little mickey man either. .

Too right. Lets get the ball rolling. Its Cork on Sunday. Anyone going? think ill settle for Paddy on TippFm this weekend.

Hope to be going down to Cork myself on Sunday,It's a short enough journey these days with the new road.Should be a good game Tipp have to win to have any chance of reaching the final.

Hope to be going down to Cork myself on Sunday,It's a short enough journey these days with the new road.Should be a good game Tipp have to win to have any chance of reaching the final.

Definitely a must win game tippspur. Is tg4 showing this game? setanta even?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

It'll be a much longer trip back after yet another crushing defeat to Cork though...:p

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    It'll be a much longer trip back after yet another crushing defeat to Cork though...:p

Our first since 2006??? :p i suppose they will hardly miss the ball with a placard in their hand :p

Advertisement