Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I've installed Vix 3.0 and all seems good... except I can no longer "see" it on my pc (Windows 7) so I can't reload the bouquet I saved before updating.

No doubt I have to enable something or other on the Duo but I have no idea what. I'm fairly sure it was viewable by default on all previous installs. ...unless there's something I'm forgetting ?

The network settings on the duo are fine (setup and test correctly). I have enabled webif and I can now see it on my android tablet and I can ping it from my pc. So why can't I see it in windows explorer!??

I've rebooted both the duo and the pc to no avail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Are you doing the bouquets via Dreambox Edit and are you using the name of the box or the IP address? I had a problem in the past after upgrading the firmware that I could only access via IP address, something to do with the router holding onto the DNS settings, try rebooting the router or running "nbtstat -RR" from a command prompt on your computer.

Clareman wrote: »
    Are you doing the bouquets via Dreambox Edit and are you using the name of the box or the IP address? I had a problem in the past after upgrading the firmware that I could only access via IP address, something to do with the router holding onto the DNS settings, try rebooting the router or running "nbtstat -RR" from a command prompt on your computer.

OK. I tried rebooting the router that wasn't it. I've found part of the problem though... in DreamboxEdit the default port has been changed since the last update (previously it was 80, then it changed to 8088 last time, now it's 80 again). Once I changed it to 80 in DBE it worked. I still can't browse to it in Explorer though. ?
    Perhaps another pc reboot will sort it. It's less a problem now at least. Thanks.

Well a reboot didn't sort it (still can't 'see' the Duo in a normal Windows Explorer view), although I can ping it/ view it via webif on a browser. What else should I have enabled in the Duo? I'm unsure what minidlna and the other network server type options are. (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Well a reboot didn't sort it (still can't 'see' the Duo in a normal Windows Explorer view), although I can ping it/ view it via webif on a browser. What else should I have enabled in the Duo? I'm unsure what minidlna and the other network server type options are. (?)

havent they removed a heap of network options to streamline the image.
    As part of streamlining the image, removed NFS, AFP, Samba, OpenVPN, Inadyn, MiniDLNA & uShare from default image (can now be installed/de-installed through Network setup screen)
    think you might need samba to let windows see it in explorer

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    havent they removed a heap of network options to streamline the image.

Looks like they have. Stoopid thing to do if you ask me.
    think you might need samba to let windows see it in explorer

I have samba enabled so it's not that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You have to enable the Web Interface on the box itself as well, it's in options somewhere

Web interface? I assume that's Webif? ...that's not the problem here. It _is_ working via the web. I can view it in a browser and on my android tablet.

What I can't do is view the Vu Duo hard disk as a network drive (or at all) in Windows explorer on my pc, but before this update I could.

?

Oooh, sorry, have you mounted the drive through the system?

Through the network browser goto Configuration, mnt and then hdd, if nothing shows up there you haven't mounted it, I don't know about the Duo, but I think you press the blue button and go through there to mount the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Web interface? I assume that's Webif? ...that's not the problem here. It _is_ working via the web. I can view it in a browser and on my android tablet.

What I can't do is view the Vu Duo hard disk as a network drive (or at all) in Windows explorer on my pc, but before this update I could.

?

Have you enabled NFS?

• Advertisement

Yup NFS is enabled. I've spent a good part of the day trying various things and I now have the mount set up correctly (I think -at least it the mount now shows in the mount manager with a green tick instead of the red X as it was previously). In fact I've created two mounts -one "root" and one "harddisk". I didn't create a user name & password as I want them to be open to all.

But I'm still not seeing it in Windows! I've rebooted both the Duo and the pc a number of times.

What else am I missing!?? I'm fairly sure I never had this problem before.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

I had the same problem when I upgraded to VIX2.4 (haven't gone to 3.0 yet). Pretty sure it was resolved by enabling NFS and Samba and then mapping the Vu+ HDD as a network drive on the laptop.

SalteeDog wrote: »
    I had the same problem when I upgraded to VIX2.4 (haven't gone to 3.0 yet). Pretty sure it was resolved by enabling NFS and Samba and then mapping the Vu+ HDD as a network drive on the laptop.

Actually +1 on this.
    The drive needs to be remapped in windows explorer, I know its obvious but have you done that?
    I know I had to remap mine through network explorer, (I also set up MiniDLNA and uShare on mine too,Not that it should matter as long as u have Samba and NFS running) as I have my Duo shared to a smart TV and a couple of PS3's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Seen a few too many crashes on version 3 of OpenVix, requires a hard reboot to get it going again

I called in my unix-expert friend today for a brief look and he couldn't get it on either. Thing is, he could see it via the network on his Samsung Galaxy S3, but I couldn't on my android tablet or on my Windows PC... but we could see it if we mapped to it via the ip address (as opposed to the server name).

So, I've been able to get it working and mapped via ip address, but not the standard way. I still don't know why, but I've lost much too much time over it already so unless it jumps up to bite me sometime I'm not worrying about it any longer. :)

Villain wrote: »
    Seen a few too many crashes on version 3 of OpenVix, requires a hard reboot to get it going again

I've had a couple of instances of this on vix 3.0.
    That said I've not had this problem with the latest(3.0.249)build.
    The box randomly reboots and hangs on start up needing a reflash to get out of the loop.
    The main issue for me with this is that there are no error logs even when the debug logs are enabled not even a crash log.
    In light of this and the current lack of a PVMC OE2.0 compatible release meaning pvmc crashes vix3.0 on completion of file playback(this is a valerie issue tho, nothing to do with vix. their plugin needs to be recompiled in an OE2 environment for compatibility)
    but as pvmc is a very important plug in for me, I've dropped back to Vix 2.4 for the time being,at least until PVMC sort the compatibility issues.

banie01 wrote: »
    The box randomly reboots and hangs on start up needing a reflash to get out of the loop.

Don't like the sound of that... particularly the need to reflash.

On VIX2.4 I occasionally have crashes - which I suspect is related to using a Nova DTT stick and recording to HDD or loading EPG to USB at the same time. Usually, a hard reboot will not fix it unless I leave the box off for a few minutes. Sometimes it will take 2 or 3 attempts. If I restart too quickly it sometimes hangs with the red LED showing on the display. Sometimes it will restart but will have lost the DTT unless I plug that out and in and do another hard reboot. On all occasions though I've never had to resort to a reflash to re-start.

Don't like the sound of that... particularly the need to reflash.

On VIX2.4 I occasionally have crashes - which I suspect is related to using a Nova DTT stick and recording to HDD or loading EPG to USB at the same time. Usually, a hard reboot will not fix it unless I leave the box off for a few minutes. Sometimes it will take 2 or 3 attempts. If I restart too quickly it sometimes hangs with the red LED showing on the display. Sometimes it will restart but will have lost the DTT unless I plug that out and in and do another hard reboot. On all occasions though I've never had to resort to a reflash to re-start.

Its a pain in the ass.
    And as no matter what way I configure the logging it will not output a log its very frustrating and very hard to root cause.
    I have my duo running a playTV tuner and aside from a very occasional need to hard reboot I'm very happy with 2.4.

In Vix3.0 I have had to reflash to start so far on 3 occasions.
    The box will randomly restart but hang on the Boot screen with Vu Duo displaying on the LED panel, I've left it in this state for upto 30mins waiting for the box to boot with no joy and end up having to reflash.
    Just to be clear on this aswell, this was on a completely clean install with no restored settings(A known source of image problems with 3.0 is restoring 2.XX settings backups).
    So I am at a loss as to the cause.
    That said the latest 3.0 builds from 247 I have not had the problem show(yet at least).

That said until PVMC release a OE3.0 compatible version of Valerie I'm staying with 2.4 as everything works perfectly in that environment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I finally got round to updating my software to version 3, and so far have very little problems, except when I use the plugins such as 1channel, for streaming and youtube.

Very happy so far with it as I was having a lot of problems with version 2.2 which I was previously running.

The last two updates introduced some "iffyness" into my Duo experience that wasn't there before -sporadic crashes mainly. So far 3.0 seems more stable for me. I wonder if there are minor hardware differences between systems that might account for one firmware suiting a particular setup better than another (?)

(Yes, mine is a genuine Vu Duo, bought from ielektroniks.com)

• Advertisement

I wonder if there are minor hardware differences between systems that might account for one firmware suiting a particular setup better than another (?)

Much more likely to be due to different plugins installed, different EPG settings and different USB h/w attached (espec. DTT sticks).

I wonder if there are minor hardware differences between systems that might account for one firmware suiting a particular setup better than another (?)
    Much more likely to be due to different plugins installed, different EPG settings and different USB h/w attached (espec. DTT sticks).

I'd agree with Salteedog on this.
    Any issues are most likely to be due to plug-in compatibility issues and USB connected hardware issues with drivers and so on.
    Also in switching between OE1.6, OE2.0 and OE3.0 based images, restoring backups from images based on older builds can cause really strange issues with plug ins and breaking FTP and TCP/IP protocols and much more too, necessitating a reflash to put right.
    With regards to the VU+ Duos Hardware, so far as I am aware while there was a Hardware revision early on in Vu+ production with regards to the main board to address an issue with inability to launch a recording from deep standby which was addressed in the V2.3 revision.
    I think apart from the obvious change over to the universal Vu+ remote the hardware has been locked down spec wise since the revision to address the deep standby issue.
    I could be mistaken on the hardware Rev's but I've heard nothing about a Vu Duo hardware rev change apart from the remote's of course since late 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

I am getting one of these next week and Im wondering does a sky magic eye work with this box?

I am getting one of these next week and Im wondering does a sky magic eye work with this box?

No it doesnt, but you can purchase a triax Tri-link and this comes with a magic eye to enable you to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

steveon wrote: »
    No it doesnt, but you can purchase a triax Tri-link and this comes with a magic eye to enable you to do this.
    Cheers for that,I actually have a magic eye set up from a old sky box so do I just place this at the sat box and can i use the existing eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I have never used a magic eye, so may not be the best person to comment.

I can change the channel on the vu+ from the web interface from my laptop, and my phone.

I can watch tv on my laptop streaming from the vu+ over the network, while another station is being played on the tv.

I might be missing something, but what advantage does a magic eye have over this?

Cheers for that,I actually have a magic eye set up from a old sky box so do I just place this at the sat box and can i use the existing eyes?

Yes you connect the tri-link to the scart socket of the VU duo and place a little sensor to the front of the box near where the ir command is received, and u connect the cable you already have in placed to the tri-link rf out no 2 and away u go sorted...

Is there a set way to view 'channels' otherwise viewable only via the BBC red button on Freesat?

Today at 2PM there's a broadcast of Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's BBC5 Live 'podcast' (with the BBC Philharmonic playing Bond movie themes) on the red BBC button. How can I tune into this before it is broadcasting to ensure I have the settings right on the Duo?

...I wonder would one of the now-unused (?) Olympic channels be showing it? I still have those on my epg. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Tune them in

11954.00 H 27500 2/3

The BBC Olympic channels are dead now. You wont get anything on those.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    Tune them in

11954.00 H 27500 2/3

The BBC Olympic channels are dead now. You wont get anything on those.

I got some new streams with that but unfortunately none that's showing what I wanted. Pity. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement