Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Sweet. Thanks and I look forward to your update.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

s.welstead wrote: »
    Maybe have a look at crontab and see what's been setup to happen in there? Also maybe your box is just crashing. Try set the time for 1-2mins from now and see what happens, does it reboot or crash and reboot.

Thanks. Autostart was enabled in Crontab. I'm not certain that was is as I didn't see what time it was enabled for (if it means what I think it means), but I disabled it anyway so we'll see what happens.

Thanks to the rest of you for all your help & suggestions too.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Any reports on VIX 3.0 yet?

I've downloaded it but not got around to installing it - hate having to start everything from scratch!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

byte wrote: »
    Any reports on VIX 3.0 yet?

I've downloaded it but not got around to installing it - hate having to start everything from scratch!
    Installed it Saturday... seems quite stable.. new graphic EPG...new boot screen..not noticed much else

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Installed it Saturday... seems quite stable.. new graphic EPG...new boot screen..not noticed much else

Same here, New bootlogos, New EPG graphics.
    There is also a play next movie option in the media player, handy for episodic content.
    Having some issues with Project Valerie, its crashing out at the end of file playback but not writing a crash log, I'm just looking the through the pvmc debug logs now and hopefully I can find something there tosort it.

• Advertisement

My wife's birthday is coming up soonish and I was thinking, since she's a soccer fan (and I'm not) it might be good to surprise her with Premiership access.

What's the best non-SKY route to a VU Duo owner? RAI I think I heard somewhere? (where should I go to buy a card, or whatever is needed?) Would this show all the games? Would it have English commentary?

Also, my son is in love with Spanish soccer, so if I could get some of that in the bargain it'd be a bonus.

I'm not looking to do anything illegal -just wondering the best option (and cheapest) to get some/ most/ all Premiership on the Duo. ...And would this include things like the top golf tournaments?

One final question: Would it be in HD?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Not my area of interest but check out recent threads in this forum about non-Sky sports subscriptions. Cyfra and Al Jazeera seem to be popular. Be aware you will need a dish pointed at satellites other than 28.2e.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Definitely not RAI :)

A Cyfra+ card from satsklep.com would cover most of the bases, a lot of the Premiership, some Spanish La Liga (at least it did last year), and HD to boot, plus a few movie channels (with English, if originally so).

Only problem is it's all in Polish (the football), but if you have a multi-lnb setup (ie 28.2 & 13.0), you can get commentary from BBC/Talksport, by using a second receiver, or streaming the radio (via the webif) with a laptop. It's not perfect though, you need to get creative to synchronise the two. Someone else was using a an app on an iphone, which seems to work well.

Al Jazeera has loads of football, SD only, but they have Spanish, Italian, MLS, and English Championship, one channel all in English, the rest sometimes. Not much, if any, golf AFAIK. Look on ebay for cards, I got mine from Tech Digital.

Tring is another option, this is on 16.0, have a look at tvcorner.com, I think they show most of the games (EPL), although there's some sort of restrictions on 3pm games.

You'll need a softcam loaded on your Duo, I used CCcam2.2.1, it read and updated Cyfra, Al Jazeera Viaccess and the Setanta FTV.
    My wife's birthday is coming up soonish and I was thinking, since she's a soccer fan (and I'm not) it might be good to surprise her with Premiership access.

What's the best non-SKY route to a VU Duo owner? RAI I think I heard somewhere? (where should I go to buy a card, or whatever is needed?) Would this show all the games? Would it have English commentary?

Also, my son is in love with Spanish soccer, so if I could get some of that in the bargain it'd be a bonus.

I'm not looking to do anything illegal -just wondering the best option (and cheapest) to get some/ most/ all Premiership on the Duo. ...And would this include things like the top golf tournaments?

One final question: Would it be in HD?

rurs wrote: »
    Definitely not RAI :)

A Cyfra+ card from satsklep.com would cover most of the bases, a lot of the Premiership, some Spanish La Liga (at least it did last year), and HD to boot, plus a few movie channels (with English, if originally so).

Only problem is it's all in Polish (the football), but if you have a multi-lnb setup (ie 28.2 & 13.0), you can get commentary from BBC/Talksport, by using a second receiver, or streaming the radio (via the webif) with a laptop. It's not perfect though, you need to get creative to synchronise the two. Someone else was using a an app on an iphone, which seems to work well.

Al Jazeera has loads of football, SD only, but they have Spanish, Italian, MLS, and English Championship, one channel all in English, the rest sometimes. Not much, if any, golf AFAIK. Look on ebay for cards, I got mine from Tech Digital.

Tring is another option, this is on 16.0, have a look at tvcorner.com, I think they show most of the games (EPL), although there's some sort of restrictions on 3pm games.

You'll need a softcam loaded on your Duo, I used CCcam2.2.1, it read and updated Cyfra, Al Jazeera Viaccess and the Setanta FTV.

Thanks rurs (and to SalteeDog)

I have 4 LNBs. Two lines going to the front room (attached to the Freesat box), one not in use (currently going to the kitchen but I'll probably divert it to the Duo), the other goes to the Duo, currently being neglected with just one input.
    To be honest I don't know what settings I should have, but I've been using the Duo as just pointing at 28.2. Could I get 13.0 just by selecting it in the Duo (how would I know?) or would it involve someone twiddling an LNB up on the roof?

Setting up Cyfra with commentary sounds a bit iffy. I could do it, but since it's for the wife it might not be ideal unless it could be automated.

I assume this card (or this card?) would be the card to go for if I was considering it?

Those prices seem a bit steep to still have a less-than-ideal setup, but perhaps I could work something out with a bit of twiddling.

One last question, for now... would this give all the same Premiership matches as on SKY, or would it be the ones they don't cover? Or some, but not all, overlap?

Sorry about this. I realise I could trawl through other forums for these answers but since I know nothing about football & satt rights and have little interest in it really, I thought it might save a few hours if I get a straight answer here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Thanks rurs (and to SalteeDog)

I have 4 LNBs. Two lines going to the front room (attached to the Freesat box), one not in use (currently going to the kitchen but I'll probably divert it to the Duo), the other goes to the Duo, currently being neglected with just one input.
    To be honest I don't know what settings I should have, but I've been using the Duo as just pointing at 28.2. Could I get 13.0 just by selecting it in the Duo (how would I know?) or would it involve someone twiddling an LNB up on the roof?

Setting up Cyfra with commentary sounds a bit iffy. I could do it, but since it's for the wife it might not be ideal unless it could be automated.

I assume this card (or this card?) would be the card to go for if I was considering it?

Those prices seem a bit steep to still have a less-than-ideal setup, but perhaps I could work something out with a bit of twiddling.

One last question, for now... would this give all the same Premiership matches as on SKY, or would it be the ones they don't cover? Or some, but not all, overlap?

Sorry about this. I realise I could trawl through other forums for these answers but since I know nothing about football & satt rights and have little interest in it really, I thought it might save a few hours if I get a straight answer here.

Hi Gunther, I'd imagine you have a quad lnb, not actually 4 lnb's. When we refer to a 2nd, 3rd lnb etc. we generally mean another lnb that is setup to be receiving another Satellite.
    The lnb then could be a single, double quad etc. meaning it has the option of 1,2, 4 cable runs etc.
    You're going to probably need a bigger dish, well bigger than the Sky dish if that's what you have and then something like:
    http://www.satellitetv.ie/tv_accessories/lnb_holders_switches/hotbird_astra1_astra2_adaptor
    in order to be pointed at more than 1 bird in the Sky. Then you'd need a multiswitch to handle all these feeds and send them down 1 or 2 cable runs into your VU.

Foreign Sat is a great hobby to get into but if it's not something you're interested in then I'd possibly avoid as it can get tricky and requires a fair bit of reading.
    Maybe something like a subscription to an online streaming site would be an easier solution? There's a few threads on the Soccer forum about LOF and the likes.
    You can get most of the games and can hook up a computer to your tv for a bigger screen.

Ahhhhh! Thanks for that s.welstead. Another link falls into place, so to speak. I had a look on the chimney and yes you are correct. I have a single lnb with 4 lines and what looks like an 80cm dish.

Foreign satt does sound like a great hobby, but I don't even like actually _watching_ much tv myself, so it's not like I'd get much benefit other than the joy of getting it working.
    I would like tinkering to get stuff on & setup as they should be, but it's not something I'd want to be doing on my own either. One other to hold the ladder and tell me I'm an idiot and share in the excitement of "finally getting it working" would be kind of essential I think. :)

I'll look into subscribing to an online streaming site, if I can find one. Any suggestions, or are these illegal entities I shouldn't be asking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Have a read on here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056609383

LOF only seems to allow new members every so often so that they can maintain quality. FSS is another and also gets discussed in that thread.

It's not currently illegal but I wouldnt be at all surprised if the FA starts going after these kind of places the way it has stopped foreign broadcasters from using English commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Where can one download VIX 3.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

anyone been using 3.0? just wondering about stability, as I am thinking of installing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

kingtiger wrote: »
    anyone been using 3.0? just wondering about stability, as I am thinking of installing

no bother here, a few hangs trying to get everything going at first buts its flying along now.

i upgraded at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Thanks, its just the thoughts of setting everything up the way I like it again

but 2.4 is giving me a bit of jip lately so I suppose a reinstall would be a good idea

once the wife is finished her soaps I think an upgrade is on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭IrishBazza

Does anyone know of any development on a plugin to stream english football commentary to say Cyfra sports channel with audio delay sync?

Similar to what the BBC red button does with radio 5 commentary for football matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

IrishBazza wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any development on a plugin to stream english football commentary to say Cyfra sports channel with audio delay sync?

Similar to what the BBC red button does with radio 5 commentary for football matches.

has long been sought after especially since the premier league decided to stop the english commentary on games but unfortunately noone has started to develop such a plugin or have not announced they have anyway

• Advertisement

I seem to recall a discussion about this, the problem is it's effectively Picture-in-Picture, ie two separate services at once. The Duo can't do this, so it's not going happen, unfortunately. Maybe the Ultimo/Duo2 can manage it?

But the Duo has picture-in-picture (albeit a bit choppy) and it's not like it has to go to the processing power of _showing_ the 2nd picture. ...Two inputs, sound from one, picture from another.
    Far be it for me to say it's possible, but on the face of it, it doesn't seem an insurmountable task.

/ You're probably right of course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

There is an "Audio in Picture" plugin/extension.(AIP) I have not used it, but i read that it works. Many use it with the FTA Eurosport on Astra 19degs east.

Called:

enigma2-plugin-extensions-audiopip_0.2_mipsel

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭IrishBazza

givecredit wrote: »
    There is an "Audio in Picture" plugin/extension.(AIP) I have not used it, but i read that it works. Many use it with the FTA Eurosport on Astra 19degs east.

Called:

enigma2-plugin-extensions-audiopip_0.2_mipsel

Does this plugin have an option to sync the audio, by seconds?

Does this plugin have an option to sync the audio, by seconds?

There's a way to do that by pressing the audio button at any time. If I'm not mistaken. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Audio and then the Blue button allows you to do this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Ultimo does PiP with no problem at all.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That AudioPIP sounds interesting.

I've installed the IPK but when I launch the plugin, I just get the main picture squashed into a square, with a copy of it in a narrow part to the left. How does one operate this properly? Ch Up/Down seems to change the bigger picture.

Maybe it doesn't work on Vix 3?

I also noticed on a site that there is now a enigma2-plugin-extensions-audiopip_0.3_mipsel.ipk, but don't know what that addresses.

Clareman wrote: »
    The Ultimo does PiP with no problem at all.

Does it work on HD channels?

I tried the audio-pip myself, same result as byte above. Read up a bit more on it, it was designed for the DM8000, which despite using an older processor than the Duo, does do proper PIP. Pity, as it would be a great addition. According to wiki, the Duo2 can do HD PIP, so it might work on that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Seems fine for me with RTÉ 2 HD and Channel 4 HD

Here's a pic of it working

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement