Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've bought from http://www.sat-shop.co.uk/ a few times and never had any problems with them, their support forums are great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone doing anything interesting with their box other than receiving tv channels with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mine is a media player, weather update and used for CCTV also, don't know if that counts.

Clareman wrote: »
    Mine is a media player, weather update and used for CCTV also, don't know if that counts.

weather update?

Weather forecast, sorry, herself likes to know what the weather will be like and uses the plugin as well as her iphone

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Weather forecast, sorry, herself likes to know what the weather will be like and uses the plugin as well as her iphone

there was me thinking you could update the weather. :D Can you turn it to warm and sunny for next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I use Dreamdroid on my Android tablet to watch tv from the Duo or stream recorded programmes.

So it's still about tv, but interesting nonetheless.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have to admit I've not tried much mediaplayback on mine. Tried an MKV once, but it wouldn't play.

Is there any plugin that you would recommend for playback of various video files?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

byte wrote: »
    I have to admit I've not tried much mediaplayback on mine. Tried an MKV once, but it wouldn't play.

Is there any plugin that you would recommend for playback of various video files?
    I have used it to play mkv and mp4 files without any problems ,I didnt think you would need any plugin ,i didnt but maybe something was already enabled on it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have used it to play mkv and mp4 files without any problems ,I didnt think you would need any plugin ,i didnt but maybe something was already enabled on it.
    I have to admit it was a long while ago now, maybe later images are better, or maybe it's just a wierd codec that was in the MKV container I tried.

But is there any Player that people use, like VLC for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

I see the VU +duo in the following link for €370 including a 500gb installed on it.
    This is a german website and i think postage is about €20.

Seems a pretty good deal, views anyone???

JonnyM wrote: »
    I see the VU +duo in the following link for €370 including a 500gb installed on it.
    This is a german website and i think postage is about €20.

Seems a pretty good deal, views anyone???
    I got the same setup from satboxes.€350 delivered.maybe send them an email to see will they be getting any back in stock soon.

I got the same setup from satboxes.€350 delivered.maybe send them an email to see will they be getting any back in stock soon.

OK thanks i will send off an e-mail now.

When did you get this deal mate?

OK thanks i will send off an e-mail now.

When did you get this deal mate?
    About a month ago,I think it should have been €360 but I was ordering 2 boxes.

About a month ago,I think it should have been €360 but I was ordering 2 boxes.

Just sent off an email to them so hopefully hear back soon enough

Just had an e-mail back from satboxes saying they will have the duos back in tomorrow or friday at the latest.

Just had an e-mail back from satboxes saying they will have the duos back in tomorrow or friday at the latest.
    That was quick,did they give you a price?

That was quick,did they give you a price?

No price given in the e-mail.

Boxes back up on sale :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Anyone having issues with CrossEPG on the VIX image lately?

When I try to update via CrossEPG OpenTV, none of the OpenTV options for 28.2e work for me, yet the 13e Sky Italia option does.
    When I try and update my 28.2e epg,(Using the either the 28.2 or 28.4 options) the process times out and when I exit CrossEPG I get a ''channel not found'' message

This has been the case now for @ a month for me.
    I assumed it was an issue with using an older image as I am currently using VIX2.4.213 due to needing an OE3.0 version of PVMC(My most used plug in) before I update and stick with the 3.0 image.
    I have tried opkg update/upgrade too with no change in the issue for me.
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Happened me a few times over the last few weeks too

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

I upgraded to VIX3.0 at the weekend and subsequently had trouble with the XEPGDB download for French TV on CrossEPG (system timing out). My Open TV 28.2E download worked fine though.

I resolved the problem by clearing out the EPG files (The CrossEPG folder and the EPG.DAT file) on my USB stick. I also deleted a stray EPG.DAT file that was sitting on the flash storage.

I suspect the stray epg.dat file was the problem - it got created just after I updated to Vix3.0 and I failed to immediately switch the crossEPG settings to store the file on USB instead of internal flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

Is there any universal remote that can get for this box

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

kevez wrote: »

The remote that comes with the box(Since 2011 at least, unfortunately my own Duo is an early build with the earlier remote) is a Universal remote.
    That aside, I use Harmony Remotes with mine.
    I have a Harmony One, and a Harmony 300i(Great remote and only €15!!!)
    And they work fantastically well.

kevez wrote: »

http://satboxes.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=129

• Registered Users Posts: 9 polomora

Hi All,

I've just ordered my VU+ Duo. While waiting for it to arrive, I started searching around for more information about customised firmware images, and came across this forum. I have basic experience of satellite dishes and STBs - I installed an 80cm dish (I live in Belgium) last year and have a basic Humax FreeSat box to receive BBC and ITV. I now want to extend my setup to receive TV Vlaanderen (Flemish + Dutch TV), and to be able to record and playback offline, and finally shut down the cable TV.

I have some questions (warning, newbie level!):

1. What is the difference between VIX, VTI, OpenPLI and the firmware (Enigma?) preinstalled on the box?

2. When I installed the dish last year, I put in a dual LNB, and brought two cables down into the house, because I had read that to be able to simultaneously watch and record two channels, the STB would need two DVB-S modems fed by separate sat cables (my basic Humax only has one). Now, reading the Duo's manual online, I notice that it can be configured to either use separate sat cables connected to the two DVB-S tuners, or to use one cable connected to the first tuner, with the signal being passed through to the second. Is there any disadvantage to using one sat cable? Would I be able to simultaneously watch and record? I was thinking that if I could get away with using one cable, I could connect the other cable to a second STB sometime in the future.

3. If I attach an internal hard disk to record/playback, is there a limit to the number of channels that can be simultaneously recorded. In my case, I will be taking feeds from three satellites: one for FreeSat and two for TV Vlaanderen.

4. I read that I can record to and playback from a NAS hard disk located on my home network. Can I also simultaneously record from several channels, or simultaneously record and playback, to and from the NAS drive?

5. The Duo has two built-in DVB-S modems. If I also attach an external USB DVB-T/C modem, will I be able to record channels from it while simultaneously watching something else?

6. Can the EPG seamlessly integrate the channels available from the various satellites and, optionally, the USB tuner?

7. How long does the box take to startup from deep standby?

8. Will I ever be able to receive RTE in Belgium? I understand that there is no spillover from the Saorsat footprint outside Ireland.

Many thanks,
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 9 polomora

Flanders Digital (mentioned on the first page of this post) is now selling the box for 339 Euro.
    http://www.flandersdigital.be/product_info.php?cPath=54&products_id=776

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

@polomora

1. VIX, VTI etc. are images (look and feel, applications etc.). Enigma 2 is the Operating system which the Vu+ box runs. You can choose which image you prefer - personally I recommend VIX.

2. Disadvantage of only using one cable is that you will be seriously constrained in terms of watching and viewing different channels at same time. If you use two cables then each tuner can be operated independently.

3. There is a limit but I cannot say what it is. I've managed to record 3 channels simultaneously and watch another. You will only have a maximum of 2 satellite tuners so if you wish to watch/record more than two channels some of them will need to be on the same satellite transponder frequency.

4. In theory, yes (I think). I have a NAS on my network which I use my VU+ to read from. I have never recorded to it though.

5. Yes

6. Yes

7. Depends on the image used. A few minutes.

8. Probably not (unless you subscribe to Sky in Ireland).

When i go into plugins and press the green button nothing happens???

Can anyone shed any light on this or do i need to do something that i havent done yet, only have the box since this morning

• Advertisement

Assuming you've connected the box to the internet, have you rebooted since setting it up? TS Panel is a great tool for installing addons, have a google for it and try installing it, it'll make your life a whole lot easier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement