Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 johnnystork

Managed to update my Vu+ duo to VIX 2.4 last night. The Dreambox edit program worked a treat for backing up/restoring my channel list. (Thanks Saltee) Managed to install the C***M stuff as well but had no channels at all until I setup the tuners for 28.2 Astra. (was starting to panic before the Ireland match)

VIX is great and I can see why it's recommended more than Blackhole. The screen was a bit messed up after install and I had to adjust the OSD sizes to suit my tv but that's all perfect again. Getting usb to store epg was a bit of a pain as it didn't show up straight away. I had to mount it (can't remember the menu to do this) first. When doing this there is an option to use usb as hdd maybe thats what you need DNME?

I also installed picons to usb. So is the swap file nessesary? What other things should I install to further tweek the Vu+ duo. Plan on trying ushare tonight after work to see if I can play movies I've on my network shares.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

there is an option to use usb as hdd maybe thats what you need DNME?

Would that then mean that the USB stick would become the main HDD and all my recordings start going on to the USB drive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

@johnnystork. Jury seems to be out on whether a swapfile is needed or not. I don't use one and my set-up is quite stable but I'd like to hear other opinions. I think it depends on how many EPG sources you are using but I'm not sure. I use OpenTV for 28.2E and Rytec XMLTV for 5W (only two satellites I use) as well as EIT (which I need for Saorview).

I'm not sure if ushare is required for playing movies from network shares. I didn't have it enabled and could easily play movies stored on my LACIE NAS as long as I had network mounted that drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 johnnystork

@SalteeDog - The box in general seems fast enough without swap file so will have to investigate further. What channels are on 5W?

@DNME - Not sure about that, maybe it will be listed as media/hdd2 will check it out and see later today.

@SalteeDog - The box in general seems fast enough without swap file so will have to investigate further. What channels are on 5W?

I use it for Fransat French channels as that is where my other half is from. In time I'll probably replace that with TNTSat on 19.2E and consolidate on a single dish.

• Advertisement

Project Valerie has been removed from the available Plugins list for VIX 2.4 so now needs to be installed manually.

Am I right in assuming that the file I need to install is:-

project-valerie_rev1260_mipsel_oe16.ipk

That's the latest rev on the PV site.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

SalteeDog wrote: »

this getting even more bizzare... The primary DNS is set to my router, which is fine.
    I tried to change the DNS to the DNS from my IP, but the box does not save it...

I also can't access the VIX from my local network directly, and did you your post about enabling SAMBA and DNS from the machine, but can't see any options to edit this from the menu.
    One question - if my box didn't have access to the hard drive, as i installed it after my initial set up, would that be causing these issues???
    Any way I could verify?

should add that I can never do a file system check - it always fails with an error that the resource is already in use... This is one of the reasons i suspect all is not in sync between the box and the hard drive...

For reference my set-up
    System/Network/ Device setup/Adapter Settings:-
    Use interface: yes
    Use DHCP: Yes
    Primary DNS : Router IP address (192.168.1.254)
    Secondary DDS: 0.0.0.0

Network setup/Namerver Settings
    Name server 1: Router IP address (192.168.1.254)

Also....
    Enablement of Samba is in System/Network/Samba Setup
    Enablement of NFS is in System/Network/NFS Setup

Not sure on your hard drive question...
    You can use the linux 'df' command in a telnet window to check what is mounted.

Alternatively and easier i guess, Setup/VIX/Mount Manager will display the mounted disks. If it's mounted then it should be good. That screen also shows if it is FAT or ext3 or ext4.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

For reference my set-up
    System/Network/ Device setup/Adapter Settings:-
    Use interface: yes
    Use DHCP: Yes
    Primary DNS : Router IP address (192.168.1.254)
    Secondary DDS: 0.0.0.0

Network setup/Namerver Settings
    Name server 1: Router IP address (192.168.1.254)

Also....
    Enablement of Samba is in System/Network/Samba Setup
    Enablement of NFS is in System/Network/NFS Setup

Not sure on your hard drive question...
    You can use the linux 'df' command in a telnet window to check what is mounted.

Alternatively and easier i guess, Setup/VIX/Mount Manager will display the mounted disks. If it's mounted then it should be good. That screen also shows if it is FAT or ext3 or ext4.
    My settings are exactly the same - with the exception of the ability to configure samba. - that option is not on my machine.
    mount looks good too via the mount manager...

at a loss to explain what is up with my box with the missing settings....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hawkeyes

Hey,

Does anyone know where (or if) I could get a compatible usb dvb-t stick for 37.00Euro or under, including delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Hawkeyes wrote: »
    Hey,

Does anyone know where (or if) I could get a compatible usb dvb-t stick for 37.00Euro or under, including delivery?

Keep your eye on ebay for Sony Play TV. Worth paying extra for as it's a dual tuner.

Lots of these cheaper single tuner ones may work, but it's hit and miss as to whether the chipset is supported.

Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T works. I have it running under VIX on Vu+ Duo. Driver is 'enigma2-plugin-drivers-dvb-usb-dib0700'. Comes with a USB fly lead and proper aerial connection too. Note (in case you intend to use it on your PC too) -the bundled windows s/w is no good for Saorview.

Incidentally - I also have a cheaper generic Chinese one which uses a AverMedia chipset. It also works fine but runs a little too hot for my liking.

rurs wrote: »
    Keep your eye on ebay for Sony Play TV. Worth paying extra for as it's a dual tuner.

Lots of these cheaper single tuner ones may work, but it's hit and miss as to whether the chipset is supported.

Cheers mate, think I'll try bid for one of those alright, a dual tuner would be nice indeed.

Quick question though, can you record a DTT channel
    and a Free To Air channel at the same time?
    Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T works. I have it running under VIX on Vu+ Duo. Driver is 'enigma2-plugin-drivers-dvb-usb-dib0700'. Comes with a USB fly lead and proper aerial connection too. Note (in case you intend to use it on your PC too) -the bundled windows s/w is no good for Saorview.

Incidentally - I also have a cheaper generic Chinese one which uses a AverMedia chipset. It also works fine but runs a little too hot for my liking.

Actually, i was gonna get that exact stick (the nova-t one). I left 37Euro on my 3v card just for it, but I didn't think the delivery would be dear, £10.00 is a bit steep, which seems to be the standard rate going on all the sites I checked. Anyway, I just put a few extra quid on my card, so I'm gonna try get that Play TV one.

Thanks anyway mate, I appreciate the detailed reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Yes, at least 2 or 3 of each, no problem.

rurs wrote: »
    Yes, at least 2 or 3 of each, no problem.

Really, that's fantastic! These boxes really are a great piece of kit.

Thanks again man.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Wiggy

Cheers mate, think I'll try bid for one of those alright, a dual tuner would be nice indeed.

As thinks stand you can potentially record all DTT channels at the same time, in addition to recording two DVBS2 channels.

That will change I believe if they move some of the DTT channels to a different mux. So you don't need a dual DTT tuner now, but you might in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

whats the key press on vix to get into the media player on the latest vix?

any ideas why fast forward doesnt work when i watch a recorded program.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

irishgeo wrote: »
    whats the key press on vix to get into the media player on the latest vix?

The one next to the menu button -a few lines with a big R next to them.
    You can also set the TV button to go to recordings, but what's the point in that?
    irishgeo wrote: »
    any ideas why fast forward doesnt work when i watch a recorded program.

No sensical reason, but you can use the number keys to skip forward/ back.
    1/ 3 skips back/ forward a little bit
    4/ 6 a bit more
    7/ 9 a bigger jump.

You can define the lengths each button skips yourself if you want to.

The small pic when using Picture in Picture is very jumpy. I guess this is due to processing power..? No way to improve it so? I wonder if the new Duo 2 will handle it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Just installed a new hard drive but I cant seem to find how to create folders for recording (movies/soaps/etc)

I set it up on my old drive but cant remember how to do it again

Can anyone help please??

• Advertisement

kingtiger wrote: »
    Just installed a new hard drive but I cant seem to find how to create folders for recording (movies/soaps/etc)

I set it up on my old drive but cant remember how to do it again

Can anyone help please??

I just create them using filezilla FTP client on my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I just create them using filezilla FTP client on my PC.

thanks but i already added them through FTP and also tried Telnet but to no avail, I still cant see the folders created, wasn't there a bookmark manger sort of thing on Vix ?

kingtiger wrote: »
    thanks but i already added them through FTP and also tried Telnet but to no avail, I still cant see the folders created, wasn't there a bookmark manger sort of thing on Vix ?

If I remember correctly, in the screen where you select which folder you want to place things, press Menu. Now you can add an already-created folder.

Very intuitive. Not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've found in the past that if you take a drive out of a different system into 1 of the boxes that the file permissions will be messed up and you won't be able to add more folders or move/delete stuff, you're better off initializing any drives you are putting into a unit I find.

I had a 16GB Duracell USB stick that I used to use for timeshift and some other stuff. For some reason I undid that and used the HD instead. Recently I went looking for my usb stick but couldn't find it. After trying another USB I found the Duo often paused for a couple of seconds when changing channels -especially when switching from Satt to DTT.

So I bought a new Duracell USB and set the Duo to use that for timeshift and epg save.

...But the pauses are still there.
    I never had pauses with the previous Duracell usb nor with just the HD.

This usb is formatted as NTFS, same as the previous one. I guess an ext3/4 format might improve speed, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it (for compatibility reasons).

Any advice on what to do/ how to get rid of these pauses much appreciated.

Also, remind me, should I have a swapfile and should I set the swapfile to usb (if possible)? I'm not using picons. What else should I use on the usb besides timeshift and epg? ...I should have epg on there, right?

Anyone?

Okay, I think I've always had the pauses when switching Sat to DTT. I never thought it was related to the USB stick i was using.

Just timed it there and it took 5 seconds going from ITV1 HD to RTE2 HD. It took 2.5 seconds going the other way (RTE2 to ITV).
    About 1.5 seconds from ITV1 HD to Channel 4 HD.

I keep Picons on the USB, the EPG data and the Timeshift recordings. Nothing else. Yes, you should have EPG there. Jury seems to be out on the swapfile - I do not use one myself but I believe it may be recommended if you have a lot of EPG sources in use.

P.S my USB stick is formatted as EXT2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Wiggy

Okay, I think I've always had the pauses when switching Sat to DTT. I never thought it was related to the USB stick i was using.

Just timed it there and it took 5 seconds going from ITV1 HD to RTE2 HD. It took 2.5 seconds going the other way (RTE2 to ITV).
    About 1.5 seconds from ITV1 HD to Channel 4 HD.

It sounds to me like you've got other problems here.

I had a Duo with USB - DTT (Nova) and multiple fixed Sats, and never had any measurable delay in changing channels. I now have an Ultimo, and behaviour is the same. Switching from Sat to DTT, between channels on the same Sat, or switching from one Sat to a different Sat should be seamless.

I use BH 1.7.3 - what image do you use?

I use Vix, but I didn't have a pause when switching before. Neither my old Duracell USB and nor when using the HD gave a pause (that I remember -SalteeDog's reply made me question my memory). My Sandisk usb and my new Duracell both leave a pause when switching from SATT - DTT (or vice versa) for the first time. After that there's no pause.

I haven't reformatted to Ext 3 / 4 yet. Will try that soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Hi,

I ordered a VU+ Duo yesterday. I have had a Sky box for the last 8 or so years.

My father is used to the digital text on sky for checking the football news, he's not the most tech savvy. So he was a bit iffy about getting this box as the digital text will not work.

I was just wondering what would be the best alternative method for looking up sports news. Is there a decent web browser on the vu+ duo, that I could set a bookmark for a good sports news website?

Let me know what you think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement