Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Eire og safe , Barefield will meet either corofin or kilrush in the decider to go down

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/769612585331224576

Gael85 wrote: »
    Surely there will be investigation this year? I know his father has a lot of power but something needs to be done before this group of players are lost. Surely the players can't be happy with set up. They seem to be afraid to voice their opinion?

too many yes men in the county board to go against the grain , the last time there was a player strike against a manager some of the players never got back on the panel , if he dose stay on for another year then 2017 will be his last but i expect him to walk away on medical grounds before then

that is not rumor only my own opinion , but a scare like he got earlier in the year surly means only one thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

I heard during the week that the game won't be replayed. Not sure if Lissycasey decided not to object or what exactly happened. I'm sure the county board will be relieved if that is the case.

I wonder would Lissycasey appealed decision if had got Clondegad or Cooraclare in backdoor draw? Heard when they got O'Curry they were happy to let appeal go. Decision paid off as they won today ☺

I wonder would Lissycasey appealed decision if had got Clondegad or Cooraclare in backdoor draw? Heard when they got O'Curry they were happy to let appeal go. Decision paid off as they won today ☺

that seems accurate enough , they withdrew there appeal once they herd the draw , they looked a descent side tonight ,played the game for the best part of 40 minutes with 14 men and won out comfortably in the end

they will be boosted by kilmaleys absence from the hurling championship , if they win there relegation match next week then lissycasey will be strong outsiders for the remaining championship ,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Eire og safe , Barefield will meet either corofin or kilrush in the decider to go down

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/769612585331224576

Phew.

• Advertisement

Phew.

shame the county board put 3 games on at the same time , it sounded like a cracker , hopefully eire og can get there house in order for next year they are far better then a relegation team ,

clondegad far too strong for a depleted kilkee side as they ease into the last 8

kilrush will face the parish in the dreaded relegation final in two weeks time they lost at to a last minute corofin goal , while the intermiedate championship semi final line up is complete after a final round of group games over the weekend

https://twitter.com/Westclarepage/status/769888417706573824?lang=en

https://twitter.com/jame_sy/status/769873955712823296?lang=en

https://twitter.com/BrennanEoin/status/769894876272091136?lang=en

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That's some hiding to get for Kilkee, the sooner the pencilia team is formed the better or else football will die back west.

Clareman wrote: »
    That's some hiding to get for Kilkee, the sooner the pencilia team is formed the better or else football will die back west.

in fairness to kilkee they were fairly depleted missing several players through injury , but yes they will have to join up at some stage . the age profile on the o'currys and kilkee sides are pushing on a bit , naomh eoin have a young team but they have gone back to junior last year

kilkee have started taking underage serious again but they have almost left it too late , it will be years before the club takes shape again

kilrush are in bigger trouble , they are in a relegation final in the next few weeks even if they win that it might not be too long before they find themselves back in the same spot , geroid o'brien is the only player they have keeping them competitive, anything happens him and they are in serious trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Is this the guy that was complaining about the media? He had someone from the media follow him for the year, you couldn't make this up.

Caught the second half of this on the repeat broadcast (just finished). By gawd, he's completely unsufferable. Never mind giving out about the media -- during a documentary he's making with said media -- he's giving out at the programme-maker herself having to speak to her when he's feeling a bit sulky. Uh, isn't that kinda the point about having her make a programme about you? And he's giving out yards about social media. Actually said at one pointed he wants anonymous social media banned. Speaking loosely? Nope, he repeated he wanted "our Irish government" to ban it. Bye-bye Twitter, etc... I guess that puts him someplace between the leadership of Turkey and of China on the political spectrum as regards media freedom, then...

• Advertisement

Ennistymon progress to the 1/4 finals after an impressive display against neighbours St Breckans , they will have a serious say in the championship and will not fear any of the big 4 waiting in the next round

https://twitter.com/muirioch/status/769962495062704128?lang=en

the 1/4 final draw takes place tomorrow evening where

one of

Cratloe
    Doonbeg
    K,I.B
    Miltown

Will face one of either
    Clondegad
    Cooraclare
    Ennistymon
    Lissycasey

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Caught the second half of this on the repeat broadcast (just finished). By gawd, he's completely unsufferable. Never mind giving out about the media -- during a documentary he's making with said media -- he's giving out at the programme-maker herself having to speak to her when he's feeling a bit sulky. Uh, isn't that kinda the point about having her make a programme about you? And he's giving out yards about social media. Actually said at one pointed he wants anonymous social media banned. Speaking loosely? Nope, he repeated he wanted "our Irish government" to ban it. Bye-bye Twitter, etc... I guess that puts him someplace between the leadership of Turkey and of China on the political spectrum as regards media freedom, then...

the name escapes me of the one delagate in the county from whitegate i think its des sloan or someone that has renlentlesy stood up against the county board

heres where i am coming from my club is in west clare but most of our lads play hurling with ballyea , michael o'neill is there club delagate for the board ,...... even if tony kelly himself asked him to porpose a motion against the management in the QT it wouldnt happen as michael is too loyal

if i asked my delegate to do the same in west clare he would probably agree with me but most likely inform me that he would be told to put his hand down "if ye want any more county championship games played back in yer place " or any more floodlight funding...ect

to simplify it the biggest opposition to davey two years ago and last year were sixmillebridge ......davys club , most of this would make vladamier putin blush at this stage

it was actually 4-12 to 0-02 at half time the gas was ovously conserved in the second half , the return of podge mcmahon will be huge for both clondegad and the clare footballers

Clare IFC Semi-Finals
    Kilfenora v Shannon Gaels
    Kilmihil v Kildysart

Clare SFC Quarter Final draw
    Ennistymon v Cratloe
    Doonbeg v Cooraclare
    Miltown v Clondegad
    KIlmurry IB v Lissycasey

Clare IFC Semi-Finals
    Kilfenora v Shannon Gaels
    Kilmihil v Kildysart

Clare SFC Quarter Final draw
    Ennistymon v Cratloe
    Doonbeg v Cooraclare
    Miltown v Clondegad
    KIlmurry IB v Lissycasey

all four games will be close , each team in with a 50/50 chance off the top of my head i would go for Cooraclare, Miltown,Kilmury and possibly Ennistymon to upset Cratloe , who were very impressive yesterday

intermediate championship also could be close with most likely kilmihil and kilfenora making the final , next year well most likely see a change in format in the senior championship with 4 automatic teams relegated and both championships will have 12 teams each , has not been officially announced but from what i hear is it is set in stone

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

all four games will be close , each team in with a 50/50 chance off the top of my head i would go for Cooraclare, Miltown,Kilmury and possibly Ennistymon to upset Cratloe , who were very impressive yesterday

intermediate championship also could be close with most likely kilmihil and kilfenora making the final , next year well most likely see a change in format in the senior championship with 4 automatic teams relegated and both championships will have 12 teams each , has not been officially announced but from what i hear is it is set in stone

Badly needs to be done. Too many teams way off the standard in senior. Intermediate championship standard has slipped back an awful lot too. Will be a lot of objection but will improve the standard in both grades no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Three senior championship games fixed for All-Ireland Sunday :confused:

Just because Davy doesn't want to watch the game I guess other people won't get to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Yea, it's a joke. It's bad enough having any hurling games on the All ireland weekend but to have so many on the Sunday is a bloody farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Seriously, the people in charge of fixtures must be having a laugh or else the clubs am have requested they play on Sunday.

Very strange that 3 of them look like being fixed for the Sunday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I honestly thought there was a ban on playing games on All Ireland weekend.

Warning, I'm about to go on a bit of a rant here

Our Senior Manager has stated that he didn't bother going to the latest round of Club Championship matches, this makes it clear to me that our Senior Management has no value in the Club Championship, as an appointed officer of the County GAA I think this is an absolute disgrace that he is publically saying he doesn't go to see any matches let alone anything else, for Senior Management to show so little regard for the Clubs I think it's about time the Clubs stand up and insist on a set summer schedule of matches, there is no reason why we couldn't have the whole championship played off in the Summer, no later than the end of September if you want to take replays and football into account, the whole Munster Championship excuse can f**k off as well, this will only impact 1 team. There should be at least 1 round of hurling and football matches played in May, June, July and August with a spare weekend in each month for replays/conflicts/other, by doing this there will be 4 rounds played this would go a long way to getting the championship played during fine weather.

• Advertisement

Last week he said he wouldn't be watching final. Now he giving his opinion Tipp will win Sunday.

http://hoganstand.com/Clare/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=260100

http://hoganstand.com/Clare/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=260255

All Ireland Week and colleges due back, he'll be making more money outside of Clare for the next few week so I wouldn't imagine much comment about Clare any time soon from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Is there any chance of a fit of madness sweeping over Limerick? Experienced manager. National profile. Proven track record of success with Limerick teams, provided Eoin Kelly or Joe Canning are available for selection. At least as mad as Tom Ryan.

Maybe he's the man they're looking for?

Henno30 wrote: »
    Is there any chance of a fit of madness sweeping over Limerick? Experienced manager. National profile. Proven track record of success with Limerick teams, provided Eoin Kelly or Joe Canning are available for selection. At least as mad as Tom Ryan.

Maybe he's the man they're looking for?

mad and all tom ryan was he always got results , at least he was entertaining when he was controversial

as for fixture planning, who ever is in charge of this should be demoted , last saturday evening 3 football championship games started at the same time in different parts of the county . what was wrong with a double header for two of the 3 , next week is taking the piss altogether , i doubt many clubs are too happy too of playing championship games at 11 or 12 o'clock in the morning either

Badly needs to be done. Too many teams way off the standard in senior. Intermediate championship standard has slipped back an awful lot too. Will be a lot of objection but will improve the standard in both grades no end.

the football championship should never have been changed back in the early 2000's from 12 to 16 teams that time ,i think there is only 10 first team clubs making up the numbers for intermediate and junior the rest are all second and third teams of bigger teams

12 senior 12 intermediate is the way forward however i am almost certain a few former big clubs will get sucked into the drop zone over the next couple of years while the transition is in process

Don't forget the politics and corruption of the Clare County Board folks, there's probably a load of delegates who were promised X amount of games for their club not to mention the fact that with multiple sites there's more "chance" of funds going missing or attendance misrepresented.

In regards to dropping the number of football clubs, again don't forget the politics at play, have a look at the teams being dropped from senior back in the day and those that'll be dropped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

I would agree 16 clubs has become too many. Realistically twelve would be ideal but its hard to get a suitable format with 12. Also the current format isn't suitable to relegating four teams. For example if Cratloe drew Clondegad and Kilmurry in their first two games and lost both by a point they would be relegated whereas if for example Corofin drew Kilkee in the first round one of these would be safe, which would be totally unfair on a team that has won two of the last 3 championships and obviously more competitive than a team that will stay up.

12 Senior Team are : KIB, Cratloe, Miltown, Doonbeg, Eire Og (if they get their act together) Ennistymon Lissycasey Clondegad St Breckans Cooraclare and two from Kilrush Doora/Barefield and Wolfe Tones.

I would like to see a more "aggressive" promotion and relegation setup, I would say that there should automatically be 2 up and 2 down each year with an additional play off between the seniors and intermediates for a place in the senior ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

I like the idea in principal as it would keeps things really fresh in Senior but i think it could devalue big occasions such as the intermediate final if both teams are already up.

I feel that this year he championship has gone to script with the 8 best teams still there. BUt its a sign of the lack of overall strength that the only match at this stage that can't be called with any confidence either way is Miltown / Clondegad. The other three will go with the script but that game should be a belter.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean about hte lack of occasion, but a final is still a final, look at English soccer and the Championship, the winners of the playoffs nearly have a bigger celebration than the team who win the thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement